Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev25262728NextLast
Electric vehicles - what does the future hold?
1301. Author: rfenstDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 10:27AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Uber trendy influencers like toolin down the road in them. The highest rank you can achieve is the joke on 4 wheels Musk truck. Not only does it cost a lot and is ugly as hell but it proves you dont need a brain or balls to own it!
To each his own.
1302. Author: rfenstDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 10:29AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Tesla tech beloved by investors is being rejected by its biggest fans

Back in March, Tesla and its CEO Elon Musk decided to give owners of compatible vehicles a free month trial of its most controversial software — a driver-assist function called Full Self-Driving.

Though regulators have pointed out that the name of the software is potentially misleading and is linked to a series of serious accidents, the program enacted by Tesla to get more people to try FSD may have not produced the results it wanted.

In a study recently conducted by YipitData and MooMoo technologies, roughly 2% of owners who tried Tesla's Full Self-Driving went on to actually buy the software. In their research, they found that only 3,500 owners tried the service during the month it was first offered and that only 50 actually converted from the free trials into Full Self-Driving purchases or subscriptions within that same period.

It is unclear whether the 3,500 owners represents the full scale of Tesla's 12.3 FSD rollout in the United States, or represents the amount of people who actually took up the offer. In Tesla's Q1 2024 earnings call, Elon Musk revealed that FSD has been pushed to "around 1.8 million vehicles," with "about half" actually using the function.

Tesla has recently reduced the price of the Full Self-Driving feature from $12,000 to $8,000, and lowered its subscription price from $200 to $99; a big ask considering the current implications that the software and its similarly touted Autopilot feature are facing.

The Tesla figurehead has taken to his social media platform X (formerly known as Twitter) to dismantle the claims made by Yipit, claiming that the take rate of FSD is much higher than what they expected.

“I don’t comment on everything, as sometimes I don’t see it and commenting on everything makes it easy to fish for information. The take rate is much higher than 2%. Please,” Musk wrote in his post on X.

There are reasons besides self-promotion for Musk to believe so. Tesla claimed in its Q1 2024 earnings slide deck that its vehicles running its Full Self-Driving software have travelled more than 1.3 billion miles.

Related: Mercedes is pumping the brakes on development of flagship EVs

The revelation about the Full Self-Driving free trial comes as Tesla is facing the ire from regulators, investors and disgruntled owners over the technologies.

On May 15, a federal judge in California rejected a bid from Tesla to dismiss a lawsuit over claims about Full Self-Driving.

As per Reuters, Judge Rita Lin for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California said that owners can "pursue negligence and fraud-based claims, to the extent they relied on Tesla's representations regarding vehicles' hardware and ability to drive coast-to-coast across the U.S."

The original suit, which was first brought in 2022 by California Tesla owner Thomas LoSavio, was made on the basis that he was led to buy a 2017 Tesla Model S equipped with Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability based off of claims that CEO Elon Musk made about the technologies; which he thought to be a lifesaver in his advanced age and capabilities.

Tesla, which trades under the ticker (TSLA) on the Nasdaq, closed the trading day on May 16 at $174.84, up half a percent.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/other/tesla-tech-beloved-by-investors-is-being-rejected-by-its-biggest-fans/ar-BB1mx4OL?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=2147e9ceed684c24be4294bc947f749e&ei=25

MooMoo is kewlkewl for those who drooldrool. Its high tech dammmit!!!! Suppose Musk will just be giving away cars to make sure everyone gets a rebate!

1303. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 11:59AM EST
rfenst wrote:
To each his own.

Well, I kinda like my brain. Wife likes my balls.
1304. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 2:50PM EST
Speyside2 wrote:
It seems clear as a bell that EV'S are not ready for the general public.

Correction, the American public is not ready for EV's.
Not true in other countries.
1305. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 2:55PM EST
Brewha wrote:

That’s because unlike these inhabitants of other countries we as a whole don’t want to overpay for transportation which falls woefully short of our current options.
1306. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 2:58PM EST
Brewha wrote:

WRONG!

All one has to do is read the links to articles in the last 2 pages to see where the EU is backing waaaaay off on the EV as we in the US are. You don't have to show everyone how stupid you are.
1307. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 3:01PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
That’s because unlike these inhabitants of other countries we as a whole don’t want to overpay for transportation which falls woefully short of our current options.

On a per capita basis the leaders in EV owership are:

1. Norway - 117 per 1,000 people
2. Iceland - 69
3. Sweden - 29
4. Califoirnia - 27
5. Netherlands - 21

Think

But by far the Chinese buy the most EVs.

So people in China and Norway "want to overpay" ???
"woefully short"?? LOL
1308. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 3:04PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:

All one has to do is read the links to articles in the last 2 pages to see where the EU is backing waaaaay off on the EV as we in the US are. You don't have to show everyone how stupid you are.

You mean the rate of EV adoption is not accelerating as it did last year - right?
1309. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 3:07PM EST
Brewha wrote:
You mean the rate of EV adoption is not accelerating as it did last year - right?

Click the links.

The pics and charts aren't lying.
1310. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 3:15PM EST
This one just popped up on the MSN feed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/the-number-of-electric-cars-in-europe-is-declining-here-s-the-replacement/ar-BB1mu43t?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=5ebf28a3764c4c27ba50c77ad370fe9e&ei=22

I guess they're lying too?
1311. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 3:15PM EST
"Sales Figures Speak Volumes
In March, sales of hybrid vehicles in Europe increased by nearly 13%, raising their market share from 24.4% to 29%.

Concurrently, electric vehicles saw a 5% decrease in the number of new registrations compared to the previous year, according to figures from the industry association Acea.

"This trend is unmistakable and reflects a broader movement towards hybrid technology across the continent," comments an analyst from Acea."

A 5% decrease in sales - wow someone should tell china that the sky is falling....
1312. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 3:24PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Well, I kinda like my brain. Wife likes my balls.

Is that why she keeps them in her purse?

Ok - I should not have said that.
It was rude of me.

But you have been a rude little prick, haven't you?

Still - my bad.
1313. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 3:26PM EST
Brewha wrote:
"Sales Figures Speak Volumes
In March, sales of hybrid vehicles in Europe increased by nearly 13%, raising their market share from 24.4% to 29%.

Concurrently, electric vehicles saw a 5% decrease in the number of new registrations compared to the previous year, according to figures from the industry association Acea.

"This trend is unmistakable and reflects a broader movement towards hybrid technology across the continent," comments an analyst from Acea."

A 5% decrease in sales - wow someone should tell china that the sky is falling....

Yeah, someone should because their entire economy is propped up on faulty GDP. Ghost towns built for 100,000+ in the middle of nowhere...EV's parked all over the EU in lots nobody wants...a dwindling population with forced labor camps to manufacture whatever the party tells them to...and a silk road initiative that makes those seedy check loan places look legit with their interest rates. I don't think you want to chase the CCP as some stellar example of anything anyone with a brain wants to follow.
1314. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 3:30PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Is that why she keeps them in her purse?

Ok - I should not have said that.
It was rude of me.

But you have been a rude little prick, haven't you?

Still - my bad.

No, the balls are still attached to me. She gets to play with them.

Nothing is stopping you from being a 1st class rude jerk. No, I haven't been rude at all. I've used proper English the entire time with links to back up the POV I'm making. Its not my fault you want to remain ignorant.

Whatever, thanks for showing everyone what a jerk looks like.
1315. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 3:50PM EST
Brewha wrote:
On a per capita basis the leaders in EV owership are:

1. Norway - 117 per 1,000 people
2. Iceland - 69
3. Sweden - 29
4. Califoirnia - 27
5. Netherlands - 21

Think

But by far the Chinese buy the most EVs.

So people in China and Norway "want to overpay" ???
"woefully short"?? LOL

Thanks for proving me correct
1316. Author: HockeyDadDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 5:44PM EST
May 14 (Reuters) - Tesla (TSLA.O), has been sued by an environmental nonprofit that accused Elon Musk's electric car company of violating the federal Clean Air Act hundreds of times by letting its Fremont, California, plant emit harmful pollutants.

In a complaint filed on Monday, the Environmental Democracy Project said Tesla has since January 2021 exposed nearby residents and workers to excessive nitrogen oxides, arsenic, cadmium and other harmful chemicals, mainly through its paint shop operations.

The nonprofit wants an injunction to halt excess pollution, plus civil fines of up to $121,275 per day per violation of the Clean Air Act.

Tesla did not immediately respond on Tuesday to requests for comment.

The lawsuit filed federal court in San Francisco adds to pressure on Tesla to improve air quality surrounding the Fremont plant, its main U.S. factory.

On May 2, the Bay Area Air Quality Management District said it wanted an independent hearing board to order Tesla to reduce harmful emissions from its paint shop operations.
1317. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 10:24AM EST
Meanwhile;
America considers whether or not to give the future automobile market to the Chinese.

Chinese car maker BYD introduces a $12,000 car - and it is nicer and scarier than you think.
https://apnews.com/article/china-byd-auto-seagull-auto-ev-cae20c92432b74e95c234d93ec1df400

US government moves to keep the new high tech out with tariffs - a stop gap move:
https://apnews.com/article/biden-china-tariffs-electric-vehicles-evs-solar-2024ba735c47e04a50898a88425c5e2c

Once in production EVs should be far cheaper than ICE cars. But companies like Ford show us how legacy companies don't know how and are locked into doing it the old way, with the old vendors and the old tech. So they lose money.

BYD is subsidised by the Chinese government - which is wise. But Americans would cry a river about us doing that.

American's strategy is to hope the new tech just goes away. And push the idea that it is not real, doesn't work and is "bad".
"You know that them EV's kill Bald Eagles - right?"

But, the world will be getting cars that cost half as much to buy, own and operate. And Americans will deny it until their only move left is to call for a war on China.

"America - F*ck Yeah!"
1318. Author: AbrignacDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 10:29AM EST
Brewha wrote:
Meanwhile;
America considers whether or not to give the future automobile market to the Chinese.

Chinese car maker BYD introduces a $12,000 car - and it is nicer and scarier than you think.
https://apnews.com/article/china-byd-auto-seagull-auto-ev-cae20c92432b74e95c234d93ec1df400

US government moves to keep the new high tech out with tariffs - a stop gap move:
https://apnews.com/article/biden-china-tariffs-electric-vehicles-evs-solar-2024ba735c47e04a50898a88425c5e2c

Once in production EVs should be far cheaper than ICE cars. But companies like Ford show us how legacy companies don't know how and are locked into doing it the old way, with the old vendors and the old tech. So they lose money.

BYD is subsidised by the Chinese government - which is wise. But Americans would cry a river about us doing that.

American's strategy is to hope the new tech just goes away. And push the idea that it is not real, doesn't work and is "bad".

But, the world will be getting cars that cost half as much to buy, own and operate. And Americans will deny it until their only move left is to call for a war on China.

"America - F*ck Yeah!"

For such a well educated person you are truly dumb.
1319. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 11:09AM EST
Abrignac wrote:
For such a well educated person you are truly dumb.

"the fool is the twin of the wise"

Noted that rather than discuss or trade opinions you name call - Always reminds me of middle school.
1320. Author: AbrignacDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 12:15PM EST
Brewha wrote:
"the fool is the twin of the wise"

Noted that rather than discuss or trade opinions you name call - Always reminds me of middle school.

Hold that thought. Unlike when I had to dumb down the reasoning why it was unwise for a police officer shoot to kill verses shot to wound this will take a bit more time.

As far as a discussion without name calling, for every thread you cite where you were nothing but civil I can cite at least a dozen where you made backhanded comments directed at those with a different opinion than your own.
1321. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 12:43PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
Hold that thought. Unlike when I had to dumb down the reasoning why it was unwise for a police officer shoot to kill verses shot to wound this will take a bit more time.

As far as a discussion without name calling, for every thread you cite where you were nothing but civil I can cite at least a dozen where you made backhanded comments directed at those with a different opinion than your own.

You're just being petulant because of all the arguments that you have lost.

And you know the Chinese are gaining a real advantage in the auto market - but you're just going to wish it away.
1322. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 12:57PM EST
Why China poses a growing threat to the U.S. auto industry

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/22/china-poses-growing-threat-to-us-auto-industry.html

"just say it ain't so"
1323. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 1:09PM EST
Brewha wrote:

And you know the Chinese are gaining a real advantage in the auto market - but you're just going to wish it away.

What does that make someone that willingly gives over money to the Communist Chinese Party? Almost all of the minerals that are in your EV are sourced from them. Their "cars" are really miniature spy balloons tracking where it's been, where its going with cameras in almost every angle, microphones to listen in and GPS systems to store and upload from. You don't have a problem with that. No, you cheer it on and bad mouth the nation you live in.

Brewha wrote:
Meanwhile;

"America - F*ck Yeah!"

You are openly extolling this nation's demise at the expense of your level of trendiness. Get over yourself. You've been shown the error of your purchase at ever opportunity. You got played. Your car is worth less than what you paid for it and is depreciating faster than your IQ and you don't even OWN IT! You got all giddy and had to tell everyone here you have an app for your car so it makes fart noises. Act like a man instead of some washed out Kardashisan ****.

The ONLY person that's lost every argument on this thread is YOU! You've been dead wrong on everything. EVERYTHING.

Taking sides with China? That's a new kind of low for even you. Gonna crack some Uyghur jokes now? Seriously the slave labor the CCP employs to maintain relevance is staggering...but hey, we gave them "Favored Nation" status. Gotta expect it, but not with a vehicle that is unsustainable without government gimmickry. After all there will forever be a sect of Americans that will cling to their love of cars for the freedom of that experience. Not you. You want to rush headfirst into debt with a not ready for primetime vehicle that is really just a fad like a pet rock. So while you're rushing in the CCP and holding the door open for more of their shenanigans, I will be calling you a fool for doing that.
1324. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 1:28PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
What does that make someone that willingly gives over money to the Communist Chinese Party? Almost all of the minerals that are in your EV are sourced from them. Their "cars" are really miniature spy balloons tracking where it's been, where its going with cameras in almost every angle, microphones to listen in and GPS systems to store and upload from. You don't have a problem with that. No, you cheer it on and bad mouth the nation you live in.

Well...At least you're not paranoid.... Mellow

DrMaddVibe wrote:

You are openly extolling this nation's demise at the expense of your level of trendiness. Get over yourself. You've been shown the error of your purchase at ever opportunity. You got played. Your car is worth less than what you paid for it and is depreciating faster than your IQ and you don't even OWN IT! You got all giddy and had to tell everyone here you have an app for your car so it makes fart noises. Act like a man instead of some washed out Kardashisan ****.

The ONLY person that's lost every argument on this thread is YOU! You've been dead wrong on everything. EVERYTHING.

Taking sides with China? That's a new kind of low for even you. Gonna crack some Uyghur jokes now? Seriously the slave labor the CCP employs to maintain relevance is staggering...but hey, we gave them "Favored Nation" status. Gotta expect it, but not with a vehicle that is unsustainable without government gimmickry. After all there will forever be a sect of Americans that will cling to their love of cars for the freedom of that experience. Not you. You want to rush headfirst into debt with a not ready for primetime vehicle that is really just a fad like a pet rock. So while you're rushing in the CCP and holding the door open for more of their shenanigans, I will be calling you a fool for doing that.

Not taking sides with China. Just pointing out how Americans such as yourself are are giving them a leg up - by your complacency, by your nay saying, and by your full on denial. You sir, are the best friend the chinese have in the auto race.

Hold you breath and cross your eyes - but they won't go away.

btw - nice rant - you still love the farting car don't you?
Yeah, we all do...
1325. Author: HockeyDadDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 1:29PM EST
We are not in an automobile race with China.
1326. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 1:33PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
We are not in an automobile race with China.

Not just yet. But they have a head start.
1327. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 5:38PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Well...At least you're not paranoid.... Mellow

Not taking sides with China. Just pointing out how Americans such as yourself are are giving them a leg up - by your complacency, by your nay saying, and by your full on denial. You sir, are the best friend the chinese have in the auto race.

Hold you breath and cross your eyes - but they won't go away.

btw - nice rant - you still love the farting car don't you?
Yeah, we all do...

Paranoid? Hardly. Informed? **** yeah. You? Unless its on the side of a Starbucks cup...you don’t know **** about ****...and display that DAILY!

Um...once again I have to talk down to you because you can't fathom that there isn't an 8 ft bed with a gooseneck hitch that can tow my 30' 3horse slant with living quarters trailer. I don't run out like you to the mall, the nail salon or out with the girls. China doesn't even have one! I would never support them like you. I'm a bit more American and an see how losers like you want people sleeping on sidewalks, can't speak the language and committing crimes because you dont pay enough in taxes and want to spend your grandchildren into oblivion.

The fart car is for ADHD spasmatic morons with rapid cycling bouts of lucidity.
1328. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/21/2024, 9:12AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Paranoid? Hardly. Informed? **** yeah. You? Unless its on the side of a Starbucks cup...you don’t know **** about ****...and display that DAILY!

Um...once again I have to talk down to you because you can't fathom that there isn't an 8 ft bed with a gooseneck hitch that can tow my 30' 3horse slant with living quarters trailer. I don't run out like you to the mall, the nail salon or out with the girls. China doesn't even have one! I would never support them like you. I'm a bit more American and an see how losers like you want people sleeping on sidewalks, can't speak the language and committing crimes because you dont pay enough in taxes and want to spend your grandchildren into oblivion.

The fart car is for ADHD spasmatic morons with rapid cycling bouts of lucidity.

Sorry Doc - I did not know you lived in a horse trailer. My bad.
I hope you are at least down my the river....
1329. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 5/21/2024, 9:17AM EST
Brewha wrote:
Sorry Doc - I did not know you lived in a horse trailer. My bad.
I hope you are at least down my the river....

Obviously an attempt at what a moron such as yourself would call humor.

Have fun at the nail salon!Gonz
1330. Author: AbrignacDate: Tue, 5/21/2024, 9:20AM EST
Brewha wrote:

Not petulant, nor myopic. There is a much bigger picture that you ignore.

Oh and backhanded comments that disparage people who have a different opinion is as bad or not worse than name calling.
1331. Author: Speyside2Date: Tue, 5/21/2024, 1:50PM EST
I would like to see a report on the durability of the vehicles. From the little bit I can find they are described as pretty junk. I would assume major worldwide manufacters do not want their name to be thought of with junk. Is there opportunity there in the cheap market, sure there is. Do you want to be in the cheap market is another question entirely. How did Yugos do in our market? If I remember correctly they bombed and also did not meet our saftey standards.

It would be interesting to know their tolerance on parts + or -. Also a report on saftey over the last 5 years would be good to have. Do they even meet our standards? What is the expected life span in miles? Are the made of substandard materials? What would parts availability be? Perhaps biggest of all what is the quality of the electrical motors?
1332. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/21/2024, 2:22PM EST
Abrignac wrote:

Oh and backhanded comments that disparage people who have a different opinion is as bad or not worse than name calling.

I disagree. So called backhanded comments have an elements of humor and skill. Quality banter and repartee are entertaining - while also making a counterpoint.

How would you feel if I responded to your vaunted LEO insights with the summary statement "double dumbass on you"?
It would not have honored your contribution, now would it?
1333. Author: AbrignacDate: Tue, 5/21/2024, 2:55PM EST
Brewha wrote:
I disagree. So called backhanded comments have an elements of humor and skill. Quality banter and repartee are entertaining - while also making a counterpoint.

How would you feel if I responded to your vaunted LEO insights with the summary statement "double dumbass on you"?
It would not have honored your contribution, now would it?

<:crickets:>
1334. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/21/2024, 4:05PM EST
Speyside2 wrote:
I would like to see a report on the durability of the vehicles. From the little bit I can find they are described as pretty junk. I would assume major worldwide manufacters do not want their name to be thought of with junk. Is there opportunity there in the cheap market, sure there is. Do you want to be in the cheap market is another question entirely. How did Yugos do in our market? If I remember correctly they bombed and also did not meet our saftey standards.

It would be interesting to know their tolerance on parts + or -. Also a report on saftey over the last 5 years would be good to have. Do they even meet our standards? What is the expected life span in miles? Are the made of substandard materials? What would parts availability be? Perhaps biggest of all what is the quality of the electrical motors?

fwiw:

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/byd-reliability-how-reliable-are-byd-cars/

"As a relatively new brand, BYD does not have the years of reliability data behind it compared to legacy companies. However, initial quality and dependability studies indicate BYD is on par or outpaces several major manufacturers.

In a 2022 J.D. Power survey, BYD topped brands like BMW, Tesla, and Volkswagen in dependability. Reviews praise BYD’s smooth driving dynamics and long battery range.

Interior fit/finish has garnered criticism along with some build quality concerns. But overall, BYD scores well for a newcomer."

I would tell you that while you do tend to get what you pay for, Paying more is not guarantee of quality or reliability (just ask a former BMW owner).

But - EVs are fundamentally cheaper to make - once in production. Add to that the new revolutionary techs like Gigacasting. Add to that the push for simplicity of design. Legacy won't be able to compete long term.

Look inside a Model 3 or Y. Many are impressed with the "futuristic minimalism". But the eye of engineer see ruthless cost cutting by simplification. Yet it all works - better than most - even without sneezing knobs and switches everywhere.

Do not make the mistake of underestimating the Chinese.
1335. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 5/21/2024, 4:12PM EST
Resistance is futile. The government has already ordered you to drive EVs.

You all need to come over to the EV side with me and BrewHa before we start putting you in camps.
1336. Author: Speyside2Date: Tue, 5/21/2024, 4:43PM EST
You know the enginering, I do not. I think you answered my questions. A lot of people will buy a minimalist design to recieve the savings. There are also a lot of people who could care less if they have power windows and such. It is simply transportation from A to B.
1337. Author: jeeblingDate: Tue, 5/21/2024, 7:09PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
May 14 (Reuters) - Tesla (TSLA.O), has been sued by an environmental nonprofit that accused Elon Musk's electric car company of violating the federal Clean Air Act hundreds of times by letting its Fremont, California, plant emit harmful pollutants.

In a complaint filed on Monday, the Environmental Democracy Project said Tesla has since January 2021 exposed nearby residents and workers to excessive nitrogen oxides, arsenic, cadmium and other harmful chemicals, mainly through its paint shop operations.

The nonprofit wants an injunction to halt excess pollution, plus civil fines of up to $121,275 per day per violation of the Clean Air Act.

Tesla did not immediately respond on Tuesday to requests for comment.

The lawsuit filed federal court in San Francisco adds to pressure on Tesla to improve air quality surrounding the Fremont plant, its main U.S. factory.

On May 2, the Bay Area Air Quality Management District said it wanted an independent hearing board to order Tesla to reduce harmful emissions from its paint shop operations.

This is tempest in a teacup. It is stooopit. The violations of the CLA are paltry when compared to the pollution generated from the mineral extraction necessary to get these vehicles to market. And air pollution…the number one emitter is concrete. Yup. And what will they need to get the infrastructure compatible with vastly increased EV ownership and operation? Concrete. Lots and lots of it too.
1338. Author: jeeblingDate: Tue, 5/21/2024, 7:13PM EST
Speyside2 wrote:
You know the enginering, I do not. I think you answered my questions. A lot of people will buy a minimalist design to recieve the savings. There are also a lot of people who could care less if they have power windows and such. It is simply transportation from A to B.

I would not object to owning an EV for short trips and hauling groceries. I don’t want one for my primary vehicle though and most of all I don’t want to be told what I can and cannot drive. That’s just my little 2 cent opinion.
1339. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 5/22/2024, 9:25AM EST
Brewha wrote:
fwiw:

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/byd-reliability-how-reliable-are-byd-cars/

"As a relatively new brand, BYD does not have the years of reliability data behind it compared to legacy companies. However, initial quality and dependability studies indicate BYD is on par or outpaces several major manufacturers.

In a 2022 J.D. Power survey, BYD topped brands like BMW, Tesla, and Volkswagen in dependability. Reviews praise BYD’s smooth driving dynamics and long battery range.

Interior fit/finish has garnered criticism along with some build quality concerns. But overall, BYD scores well for a newcomer."

I would tell you that while you do tend to get what you pay for, Paying more is not guarantee of quality or reliability (just ask a former BMW owner).

But - EVs are fundamentally cheaper to make - once in production. Add to that the new revolutionary techs like Gigacasting. Add to that the push for simplicity of design. Legacy won't be able to compete long term.

Look inside a Model 3 or Y. Many are impressed with the "futuristic minimalism". But the eye of engineer see ruthless cost cutting by simplification. Yet it all works - better than most - even without sneezing knobs and switches everywhere.

Do not make the mistake of underestimating the Chinese.

FWIW....not much...

Another Sanction Failure: The US Blacklisted Xiaomi Three Years Ago Now it Makes EVs

Just three years ago, the Chinese company Xiaomi decided to build cars. It succeeded where Apple failed.

The Wall Street Journal reports A Chinese Phone Maker Did Something Apple Couldn’t: Make an EV

Xiaomi is a Chinese company known for its rice cookers, robot vacuums, air purifiers and smartphones. Now, it has pulled off what Apple, its longtime rival, couldn’t: Make an electric car and bring it to market. And it did it in three years.

In its home market, Xiaomi —pronounced SHAU-mee—is cranking out its SU7 sedan to a waiting list of buyers after its launch in late March. Since early April, the Beijing-based company said it had delivered more than 10,000 of the electric vehicles and received nearly 90,000 binding orders.

Priced between $30,000 and $42,000, the company says the SU7 can go up to 500 miles on one charge, undercutting comparable versions of the Tesla Model 3 in China by around $4,000 and outrunning it by around 200 miles per charge.

Xiaomi’s feat illuminates a new reality in the century-old automotive business: The barriers to entry for making a car have shrunk in recent years with the emergence of electric vehicles. And in this new reality, China is speeding way ahead.

To simplify development and reduce costs, Xiaomi adopted Tesla’s process of “gigacasting,” which employs large-scale, high-pressure aluminum die-casting to create the car’s frame. The process combines hundreds of manufacturing steps into one, saving on components, weight, cost and time.

Xiaomi also had to innovate. The liquid aluminum that gets injected into the die-casting machine has to be a certain variety that can withstand an extraordinary amount of pressure. Xiaomi had to come up with its own material, building an artificial-intelligence program that used a method known as deep learning to simulate how different materials would behave when placed inside the die-cast machine.

The company only seriously started looking into entering the car sector after the U.S. government blacklisted it in January 2021 for what it said were ties to China’s military, prohibiting Americans from investing in Xiaomi.

Xiaomi Profitable When?

Xiaomi loses money on cars. To turn a profit, Xiaomi would have to produce 300,000 to 400,000 of the SU7 each year, Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun told CCTV.

It’s unclear if this company succeeds at building cars. But I suspect it will.

Regardless, Xiaomi has proven a company that makes phones can make cars three years later.

What exactly does Tesla have that some Chinese company can’t do better or cheaper? Perhaps self-driving technology, but there Tesla seriously lags Waymo.

Preparation for Growth

On April 15, I noted Elon Musk Fires 10 Percent of Tesla Workforce, Prepares for “Next Phase of Growth”

Preparing for Growth

Preparing for growth by firing working is like trying to lose weight by stocking the pantry with more potato chips.

On May 6, I noted Another Round of Mass Firings at Tesla, Sales Must Be Imploding

Tesla announced yet another round of layoffs today. News came in the typical way, an email starting “Dear Employee”. It seems “Dear Ex-Employee” would be more fitting.

Tiresome Lies

Musk statements are no longer best viewed as excessive hype, but rather tiresome lies.

For four years running, Musk promised to make 50,000 electric semis. Tesla delivered a grand total of 100.

Carbon Credits

Carbon Credits notes Tesla Hits Record High Sales from Carbon Credits at $1.79B

Elon Musk’s Tesla generated a substantial $1.79 billion from carbon credit sales last year, as revealed in their Q4 2023 and annual financial report, bringing its total earnings from such credits since 2009 to nearly $9 billion.

The revenue generated from the sale of carbon credits has become a substantial source of income for the company. In fact, the credits account for a staggering 11% of Tesla’s overall gross margin for the quarter, $4,065 million, down from 25.9% seen in Q4 2022.

Despite its continued dominance in the U.S. EV market, Tesla faces growing competition, particularly from China’s BYD. The Chinese automaker recently surpassed Tesla as the world’s largest seller of EVs.

Tesla’s Lead Has Vanished

Whatever technology lead Tesla once had is now gone.

Tesla’s Full Self Driving FSD technology is essentially vaporware.

On May 14, I noted BYD Unveils the “Shark” a Plug-in Hybrid Pickup Truck Built in Mexico

The Chinese automaker BYD (Build Your Dreams) announces a 700-mile range PHEV that will be built in Mexico, this year.

Also see Biden Wants EVs so Badly That He Will Quadruple Tariffs on Them

Astute readers will immediately notice the title of this post makes no sense. It’s not supposed to. But it is exactly what President Biden is doing.

The EU is too shellshocked and disorganized to do anything. The US is fighting with tariffs and sanctions.

The Blacklisting of Xiaomi led to this result, It’s another “victory” for sanctions.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/another-sanction-failure-us-blacklisted-xiaomi-three-years-ago-now-it-makes-evs
1340. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 5/22/2024, 9:56AM EST
jeebling wrote:
This is tempest in a teacup. It is stooopit. The violations of the CLA are paltry when compared to the pollution generated from the mineral extraction necessary to get these vehicles to market. And air pollution…the number one emitter is concrete. Yup. And what will they need to get the infrastructure compatible with vastly increased EV ownership and operation? Concrete. Lots and lots of it too.

Decent article on a Chilean leach field.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg25333710-200-lithium-fields-beautiful-from-the-air-trouble-on-the-ground/

More:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43017-022-00387-5

Really surprised California is onboard with this...but then again...It's Cali.

https://www.enr.com/articles/58102-groundbreaking-lithium-extraction-plant-launches-in-california

So good for the environment.

https://www.wired.com/story/lithium-batteries-environment-impact/
1341. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 5/22/2024, 11:40AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Resistance is futile.

Only if less than one Ohm.
1342. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 5/22/2024, 12:13PM EST
Speyside2 wrote:

Even at the extreme of luxury and performance EVs are still far simpler.

Your Lucid Sapphire, extravagant luxury and performance that only a hand full of cars at any price and complexity can even approach. Yet when you look at the design, it has a very short parts list and far less points of failure and maintenance.

All things being equal, EVs have a large advantage in the marketplace. This is why all of the top performance brands are going EV.

In the coming decades the charging issues will go away. Today it is only a phantom issue for homeowners, but a real issues for apartment dwellers. This has already begun to change.
1343. Author: jeeblingDate: Wed, 5/22/2024, 12:26PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Decent article on a Chilean leach field.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg25333710-200-lithium-fields-beautiful-from-the-air-trouble-on-the-ground/

More:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43017-022-00387-5

Really surprised California is onboard with this...but then again...It's Cali.

https://www.enr.com/articles/58102-groundbreaking-lithium-extraction-plant-launches-in-california

So good for the environment.

https://www.wired.com/story/lithium-batteries-environment-impact/

Thanks, I’ll read them all.
1344. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 5/22/2024, 2:55PM EST
Cali don’t care about Chilean leach fields. They are not in California!
1345. Author: izonfireDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 12:44AM EST
Ya'd think you'd find more Chilean leaches in a swamp... Think
1346. Author: BrewhaDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 7:05AM EST
Didn't they drain that?
1347. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 10:17AM EST
As someone who lives near the location formerly known as the Grand Kankakee Marsh, yes they did
1348. Author: AbrignacDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 10:27AM EST
The AP put out an interesting article this AM. Accordingly it doesn’t bode well for the EV market.

Average US vehicle age hits record 12.6 years as high prices force people to keep them longer

https://apnews.com/article/average-vehicle-age-record-prices-high-5f8413179f077a34e7589230ebbca13d#

Since Americans seem to be holding on to their cars longer due to high new car prices those who do buy on average would probably shy away from paying 15-30% more for an automobile with the same amenities just so they can have an EV.

In addition the argument that one would save money over time with an EV is probably not something most car buyers are going to consider since the current average saving rate is around 3% of annual salary. If Americans aren’t actively saving for their future there is no reason to believe they are going to consider short term savings which may or may not be realistic.

Add to that a recent Marketwatch survey found 2/3’s of those surveyed feel like they are living paycheck to paycheck. So any savings from fuel would probably be offset by a higher monthly car payment as well as an increase in their electric bill related to charging their EV.
1349. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 11:00AM EST
For those who don’t want to buy an EV, there is always mass transportation options.
1350. Author: AbrignacDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 12:37PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
For those who don’t want to buy an EV, there is always mass transportation options.

Exactly. In fact they should write their own code that makes one out of thin air.
FirstPrev25262728NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic