Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
8track makes magic happen
1. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 5/17/2024, 11:41AM EST
not a trade, so didn't want to post this over there...

The back story, if there even is one, seems to be that in recent times he and I have gradually become friendlier, closer, a little more involved with some of the stuff of our lives outside of this place.

I never RAOKed him, we've not met in person though we have facetimed and texted, like many here do as well.

For one reason or another (Readers Digest version) I thought he was planning to send me a t-shirt...but the box was far larger than that would have required.

Inside was a vintage/throwback/old school phenomenal real deal top quality wool with leather sleeves baseball jacket, with the words RED SOX emblazoned across the chest. This is Hall Of Fame worthy attire...seriously.

I did not ask for the history of the jacket, hoping Russ might share that here...but if I were to venture a guess it would be that this was originally acquired as a personal keepsake. I recall Russ writing of randomly going to Boston on his honeymoon and attending a game at historic, beloved Fenway park, after which he and Mrs. Russ adopted the "Sawks" as their team.
All he really revealed was that he was "glad it was going to a good home...". He won't have to worry about that.

He's a good man for reasons other than this act of generosity, and I want that in print on the record here in case anyone was unaware.

Thank you again, Brother Russ.

2. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 11:45AM EST
Can I have it..?? Huh
3. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 11:59AM EST
Yeah. He's ayite, I guess...

I'd prolly hang out wif him if he lived closer, and stuff... Mellow
4. Author: Ram27Date: Fri, 5/17/2024, 12:03PM EST
Bravo Eight bravo 👍
5. Author: PalamaDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 12:34PM EST
AWESOME! Applause
6. Author: corey sellersDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 12:35PM EST
Awesome brotherhood here
7. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 12:43PM EST
CHEEZUS!

I would be remiss if I didn't add the lil' exchange we had in Orlando.

Oh my...made some of the best grilled sammiches I ever had.

Always nice to put a face with a name from here.
8. Author: izonfireDate: Fri, 5/17/2024, 11:57PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
8track makes magic happen

That’s what all the girls say.
And some of the boys…
9. Author: deadeyedickDate: Sat, 5/18/2024, 6:49AM EST
Had the pleasure to herf with Russ at my place something like 15 years ago. Yup ... he is dreamy!
10. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/18/2024, 7:13AM EST
He's a good doobie for sure. When I go back home to visit the family I try to coordinate a hook up with him to smoke a cigar and talk BS.

I don't intend to make this a roast but to share a memorable experience.

One time a few years ago when I was visiting, we planned a hook up. He came to pick me up at my parent's house and then head to his cigar shpo. When he arrived he came running or skipping across the lawn to the front door screaming like a little kid. I think he was wearing a rainbow shirt or waving a small rainbow flag (can't remember which). My parents didn't know WTF was happening but after introducing him to them, they had a great laugh of the scene. Pretty sure a couple neighbors were also thinking WTF? Who is this guy?

Whenever I go back, my parents ask "What day are you planning to hook up with your cigar friend?" as he made a great impression on them.
11. Author: Burner02Date: Sat, 5/18/2024, 8:51AM EST
First class effort for sure.

I did hear that is the jacket Cros was wearing when last seen.
12. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 5/18/2024, 12:16PM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
He's a good doobie for sure. When I go back home to visit the family I try to coordinate a hook up with him to smoke a cigar and talk BS.

I don't intend to make this a roast but to share a memorable experience.

One time a few years ago when I was visiting, we planned a hook up. He came to pick me up at my parent's house and then head to his cigar shpo. When he arrived he came running or skipping across the lawn to the front door screaming like a little kid. I think he was wearing a rainbow shirt or waving a small rainbow flag (can't remember which). My parents didn't know WTF was happening but after introducing him to them, they had a great laugh of the scene. Pretty sure a couple neighbors were also thinking WTF? Who is this guy?

Whenever I go back, my parents ask "What day are you planning to hook up with your cigar friend?" as he made a great impression on them.

and you, sir, the reluctant MAsshole from WI, have met both of us!
13. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 5/18/2024, 12:17PM EST
Burner02 wrote:
First class effort for sure.

I did hear that is the jacket Cros was wearing when last seen.

maybe, maybe...but why would Cros need the leather sleeves?
14. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 5/18/2024, 12:17PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
Can I have it..?? Huh

when I'm done with it
15. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 5/18/2024, 4:10PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
and you, sir, the reluctant MAsshole from WI, have met both of us!

Theodore knows nothing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISD86-oM4Ow
16. Author: delta1Date: Sat, 5/18/2024, 6:31PM EST
It hurts to applaud any story that involves the RedSox...but...

Applause Applause Applause <-----(standing)
17. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 5/18/2024, 6:44PM EST
delta1 wrote:
It hurts to applaud any story that involves the RedSox...but...

Applause Applause Applause <-----(standing)

would it help if I said "Go Mookie!"?
18. Author: delta1Date: Sat, 5/18/2024, 6:46PM EST
It does...
19. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Sat, 5/18/2024, 9:37PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
would it help if I said "Go Mookie!"?

I'm still hurt over that trade.............but I still love Mookie

Sounds like an awesome jacket any Red Sox fan would love to own..............I am in your will right dadBig Hug
20. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 5/18/2024, 11:44PM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
I'm still hurt over that trade.............but I still love Mookie

Sounds like an awesome jacket any Red Sox fan would love to own..............I am in your will right dadBig Hug

Would probably look good next to those Bobby Doerr pictures. BigGrin
21. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Mon, 5/20/2024, 7:01AM EST
Red Sox fandom began during the Red Sox vs Reds 1975 WS.
My grandmother was a Detroit Tiger and Cincinnati Reds fan.
She sat me down to watch game 5, telling me that “we” were Reds fans. Ok.
Reds won the game, she was happy, I was happy.

Game 6 was in Fenway. Pregame, the camera scanned Fenway park. The odd nooks and crannies of the stadium, the Monster. Then looked at those red, home white, and blue uniforms. Told grandma I was a Red Sox fans.

She tried correcting me, saying I was a Reds fan. When I rebelled (shocker) she told me that would change. Nope.

As for the jacket to Frank1.
1: It is too big for me now that 20 pounds of Anger Laced Corporate Fat is off of me.
2: Wanted it to go to a good room. When I was sexting … texting Frank, learned the jacket would better fit him than me.
3: He’s a legit fan.
4: I aspire to be a better man. Directionally, Frank is better man than I am. I aspire to do better. He is more who I want to be. (Although I’m not switching from Sequel to Prequel).

Peace be with you, Frank.
22. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 5/20/2024, 7:08PM EST
my fave Red Sox player when I became a baseball fan in the early 60's was Bill Monbouquette...loved saying his name...
23. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 5/31/2024, 5:20PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Red Sox fandom began during the Red Sox vs Reds 1975 WS.
My grandmother was a Detroit Tiger and Cincinnati Reds fan.
She sat me down to watch game 5, telling me that “we” were Reds fans. Ok.
Reds won the game, she was happy, I was happy.

Game 6 was in Fenway. Pregame, the camera scanned Fenway park. The odd nooks and crannies of the stadium, the Monster. Then looked at those red, home white, and blue uniforms. Told grandma I was a Red Sox fans.

She tried correcting me, saying I was a Reds fan. When I rebelled (shocker) she told me that would change. Nope.

As for the jacket to Frank1.
1: It is too big for me now that 20 pounds of Anger Laced Corporate Fat is off of me.
2: Wanted it to go to a good room. When I was sexting … texting Frank, learned the jacket would better fit him than me.
3: He’s a legit fan.
4: I aspire to be a better man. Directionally, Frank is better man than I am. I aspire to do better. He is more who I want to be. (Although I’m not switching from Sequel to Prequel).

Peace be with you, Frank.

wasn't sure how to respond, and simultaneously took another mini hiatus from posting, though I have been kinda up to date reading and stuff...

just wanna say I will nevah forget this, simply an amazing gift. It will be taken care of properly.
As for being like me...no one wants to go through life fat drunk and stoopid.

Maybe even better!...I was at Game 6 of the '75 World Series, sat in the front of the right field bleachers. Fred Lynn's 3 run blast in the bottom of the first sailed over the bullpen and just over my fingertips.

Went with two friends, we thought we were hysterically funny when we made a sign out of a sheet and hung it over the little fence between us and the bullpen that read: HI HOWARD...FRANK...and DANDY DON!!!

an inning later a couple hairy knuckle types came by with a couple network guys and took our sign away...theoretically due to "advertising" for a network not carrying the game.

Can't imagine a better baseball game.
24. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 5/31/2024, 6:06PM EST
delta1 wrote:
my fave Red Sox player when I became a baseball fan in the early 60's was Bill Monbouquette...loved saying his name...

Loved Monbo!To this day I'm not sure the nickname wasn't Mombo.
Local guy, I think from the town of Medford, MA

Strikeout artist, or at least for that era. Pitched for some very bad teams but had a few good seasons. Came close to one game strikeout record, I think 17, also think it may have been a "night game" record but that could be a false memory.
Possibly a no hitter, too, maybe a one hitter?

My memory is quirky but it feels like he finished up in the Yankees organization, pretty sure he was a pitching coach for them at some level.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic