Due to the recent hurricanes, some areas of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina may be delayed. Pick-up and deliveries in Puerto Rico have been suspended.

America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 2 weeks ago by SmokeMonkey. 403 replies replies.
9 Pages<123456789>
What Rum You Drinking 1,000,000
frankj1 Offline
#201 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
you're killing me.
ZRX1200 Offline
#202 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 45,940
C'mon over my friend, you get your choice outta the humi too.

Found some on my to try list on b-21dotcom btw. And I'm headed to Nor-California this weekend (GF family birthday) so I'll stop and check out the shpo I got the Plantation at.

I've gotten HOOKED on funky high Ester count rums.
Plowboy221 Offline
#203 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Plantation XO Reserve 20th Anniversary
ZRX1200 Offline
#204 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 45,940
^ I'm jealous....how is it?
Plowboy221 Offline
#205 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Not bad, fell like it could be better imo... It's good in its own way slight heat/spice on the palate and just little bit of sweetness and I mean very little. A lot vanilla/Carmel taste to me. Paid around 64 a lot of other runs for just a little bit more money I'd like to try.

El Dorado 15

El Dorado I think it was a 21

Goslings very old rum

Pampero Aniversario, bunch others I'd like to mark off the list

Kickin my self for not buying the Diplomatico Single Vintage 2000
frankj1 Offline
#206 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
Pampero Anniversario is available around here between $28 and $35. It's the one that is in the tan leather pouch.

Very high on my list of smoooothe, not a head snapper like Lost Spirits! One of the best values in rum.
Plowboy221 Offline
#207 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Yeah he had all those plus hand full of others in stock, I'm just horrible at making decision I stood there for around 45 minutes trying decide what to get.
ZRX1200 Offline
#208 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 45,940
Well the other Plantation rums are usually referred to as great values. I'll vouch for the aged Jamaican. I like the head snappers myself, Lost Spirits etc. Funky and strong just like my underwear.


If I wore any
MACS Offline
#209 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 61,091
I'm hoping for the embargo to go away soon. I want another bottle of Havana Club Barrel Proof.
frankj1 Offline
#210 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
ZRX1200 wrote:
Well the other Plantation rums are usually referred to as great values. I'll vouch for the aged Jamaican. I like the head snappers myself, Lost Spirits etc. Funky and strong just like my underwear.


If I wore any

yeah, the head snappers are amazing, but sometimes they seem like a separate category to me, especially when compared to the Zayas, Zacappas, Diplomaticos et al.

I've only seen the very inexpensive Plantation (maybe 5 year?) locally but it is a very good value.
frankj1 Offline
#211 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
MACS wrote:
I'm hoping for the embargo to go away soon. I want another bottle of Havana Club Barrel Proof.

Wheel used to tout Havana Club. My only experience with it was a nice pour a few years ago in Aruba, but not the Barrel Proof...maybe it was the 8 year? Good, but a little hot...and not hot like Nora.

Drinking it with her would be very hot though.
Plowboy221 Offline
#212 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Don't get me wrong guy's, it is good. Just not what I was personally expecting..... Looked again was 61 (with tax) and as my local goes there's a quite of rums in the 50-130 range. Which is why I made the statement earlier kinda wish I woulda grabbed something else's in a way, but not completely disappointed still very drinkable. Don't let my chitty palate influence you lol.
frankj1 Offline
#213 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
go for the Pampero. Great rum at any price.

or let me know if you need help getting a fair deal...
frankj1 Offline
#214 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
ZRX1200 wrote:
C'mon over my friend, you get your choice outta the humi too.

Found some on my to try list on b-21dotcom btw. And I'm headed to Nor-California this weekend (GF family birthday) so I'll stop and check out the shpo I got the Plantation at.

I've gotten HOOKED on funky high Ester count rums.

funny you should mention Esther this time of year.

watch for my new thread appearing soon in a forum near you...
MACS Offline
#215 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 61,091
frankj1 wrote:
Wheel used to tout Havana Club. My only experience with it was a nice pour a few years ago in Aruba, but not the Barrel Proof...maybe it was the 8 year? Good, but a little hot...and not hot like Nora.

Drinking it with her would be very hot though.


The Barrel proof is smooth as butter. I think they call it Seleccion de Maestros now.
frankj1 Offline
#216 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
I have to go to there.
bassojc Offline
#217 Posted:
Joined: 05-18-2002
Posts: 31
Plowboy221 wrote:
Not bad, fell like it could be better imo... It's good in its own way slight heat/spice on the palate and just little bit of sweetness and I mean very little. A lot vanilla/Carmel taste to me. Paid around 64 a lot of other runs for just a little bit more money I'd like to try.

El Dorado 15

El Dorado I think it was a 21

Goslings very old rum

Pampero Aniversario, bunch others I'd like to mark off the list

Kickin my self for not buying the Diplomatico Single Vintage 2000



If you still can grab the Single Vintage I highly recommend it. I'm a big of the Exclusiva Reserva, which I think is a great value, but the Single Vintage is adult candy.

I like the Plantation 20 but the two Diplomaticos, even at the different price points, are, to me, more enjoyable.

Also, if you come across Ron Cartavio XO, which is in the $60 ballpark, it is defnitely worth a purchase.
bassojc Offline
#218 Posted:
Joined: 05-18-2002
Posts: 31
MACS wrote:
The Barrel proof is smooth as butter. I think they call it Seleccion de Maestros now.


That is correct. And I agree, smooth as butter. I am so so on the Club 7 but the Seleccion de Maestros is outstanding.

Matter of fact, I think it is time to pour a little of that and light up an aged VR Unicos.
frankj1 Offline
#219 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
y'know, bassojc, we coulda used your help here in the last 14 years!
bassojc Offline
#220 Posted:
Joined: 05-18-2002
Posts: 31
frankj1 wrote:
y'know, bassojc, we coulda used your help here in the last 14 years!


hahaha....haven't been on in a while. Needed some cutters and lighters and decided to check out the forum. Glad to see a thread on rums. Thank you for starting it.

Another recommendation, Angostura 1824...an outstanding rum. Not sure if it has been mentioned before.

And the Unicos is from 07....enjoy your weekend.
frankj1 Offline
#221 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
finished off a box of 08 VR Unicos about a two years ago. a couple were past prime but most were very fine.

Welcome back.
tonygraz Offline
#222 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 8,575
Some damn white rum- mixed good tho. Unicos - sounds more like a cigar I had smoked.
Plowboy221 Offline
#223 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Balcones Rumble, got a bit of a kick to it but pretty good imo, defiantly different.
frankj1 Offline
#224 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
Plowboy221 wrote:
Balcones Rumble, got a bit of a kick to it but pretty good imo, defiantly different.

all their stuff got a kick...think I'm gonna pull the trigger. Thanks for that heads up.
ZRX1200 Offline
#225 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 45,940
Had two glasses of Plantation Jamaican 2001 last night. When I'm done with my beers I may have another tonight. Balcones also makes a cask strength Rumble that is sold out online at two places I buy from.
Plowboy221 Offline
#226 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Balcones Rumble, really digging this stuff.


Damn you all!! Damn you all to hell for getting me into rum, I look forward to pouring a dram of rum more than a cigar now.
frankj1 Offline
#227 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
saw a couple of bottles of Balcones Yexas Rum Special Release the other day! From 2015. I thought it was a one timer in 2013...$80 though, so I passed.
Snagged a bottle of Pampero Anniversario Reserva Exclusiva for $27 instead. Might rethink that decision and go back...

Jamie, Mike (plowboy), if still on the shelf...?
shaun341 Offline
#228 Posted:
Joined: 08-02-2012
Posts: 6,958
Is that anything like Rumchata?
ZRX1200 Offline
#229 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 45,940
2001 Plantation Jamaican. This is my go to now.

Frank I'd love some Balcones rum, but not gonna justify the price. Uncle Sam too a big chunk outta our ass last year for something that wasn't our fault, and this year they're counting it as income. So, $26 rum is gonna be where it's at!
frankj1 Offline
#230 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
shaun341 wrote:
Is that anything like Rumchata?

no idea.
frankj1 Offline
#231 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
ZRX1200 wrote:
2001 Plantation Jamaican. This is my go to now.

Frank I'd love some Balcones rum, but not gonna justify the price. Uncle Sam too a big chunk outta our ass last year for something that wasn't our fault, and this year they're counting it as income. So, $26 rum is gonna be where it's at!

and there are a whole mess of rums within a buck or two of that number that are very good.
ZRX1200 Offline
#232 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 45,940
I love the strength, funk and mild sweetness that one has. Very well balanced.
frankj1 Offline
#233 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
I see your birthday is exactly one month after mine...
Plowboy221 Offline
#234 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Samaroli 12yr Fiji Rum 2001/20013 bottle 339 of 700, ahh this stuff is f-n good.....
frankj1 Offline
#235 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
Dude! You are hooooked!

most people just don't know about the wide world of rum.
Plowboy221 Offline
#236 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
frankj1 wrote:
Dude! You are hooooked!

most people just don't know about the wide world of rum.



Yep, always thought of rum as just a mixer honestly. We have w fancy wine/beer etc place that opened up here a few years ago. That's where I bought the Plantation 20th Anny from and me and the owner got to taking about rum and how I'm suprised nobody really talks about it, he thinks it'll be the next "big thing", but idk heck 7 years I'm just discovering it.… honestly I'd rather sip on rum rather than bourbon/whiskey.
Plowboy221 Offline
#237 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Plantation 20th Anny, third try just not for me…
gummy jones Offline
#238 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 5,790
Gold miner agave with thanks to covfireman
frankj1 Offline
#239 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
Plowboy221 wrote:
Yep, always thought of rum as just a mixer honestly. We have w fancy wine/beer etc place that opened up here a few years ago. That's where I bought the Plantation 20th Anny from and me and the owner got to taking about rum and how I'm suprised nobody really talks about it, he thinks it'll be the next "big thing", but idk heck 7 years I'm just discovering it.… honestly I'd rather sip on rum rather than bourbon/whiskey.

several are really better suited for mixing.
Plowboy221 Offline
#240 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Samaroli 12yr Fiji
Plowboy221 Offline
#241 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Flor de Cana 18
frankj1 Offline
#242 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
Pampero Anniversario Reserva Exclusiva~ hard for me to believe that such a refined liquor can be had under $30
I could drink this stuff neat forever
MACS Offline
#243 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 61,091
Is this the stuff, Frank? http://www.bevmo.com/catalog/product/view/id/37409
frankj1 Offline
#244 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
MACS wrote:
Is this the stuff, Frank? http://www.bevmo.com/catalog/product/view/id/37409

yes. It is not a deliciously sweet sipper, it's way dryer than Zacapa 23 or Zaya for sure.

I know you do not give out your address, but that is a silly price to pay.
Say the word, my brother...no strings. I'm good that way.
MACS Offline
#245 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 61,091
Thank you. I appreciate the offer.

I used to love Zacapa... then it got too sweet for me. Still love Havana Club Barrel Proof, but they changed it to some new name, and it seemed a bit 'hot' to me. Burned a bit.

Yeah, $10 more seems a bit steep... but in Taxifornia, I'm used to that. Everything here is taxed to excess.

Fishing license for fresh and salt - $55 a year. OhMyGod
Palama Offline
#246 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 8,842
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva - the last of it from the bottle that Frank sent last May.

Cheers to you Brother Frankie!
Plowboy221 Offline
#247 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Flor de Cana 18
ZRX1200 Offline
#248 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 45,940
Plantation Barbados 5 year.

Mixer not a sipper.
Plowboy221 Offline
#249 Posted:
Joined: 03-03-2013
Posts: 2,674
Ordered me a bottle of Samaroli Caribbean 2003 today, just sitting at the front door waiting. From research I've done its 95% Cuban and 5% Jamacian Rum.
frankj1 Offline
#250 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 17,455
Plowboy221 wrote:
Ordered me a bottle of Samaroli Caribbean 2003 today, just sitting at the front door waiting. From research I've done its 95% Cuban and 5% Jamacian Rum.

sounds like a sure thing.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
9 Pages<123456789>