America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 4 days ago by frankj1. 148 replies replies.
3 Pages<123>
What Gin or Vodka Ya Drinking 10,000?
frankj1 Offline
#51 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
the world of gins runs deep...
Palama Offline
#52 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
frankj1 wrote:
the world of gins runs deep...


Can I quote you?














Nevermind, I just did...Angel
frankj1 Offline
#53 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
don't make it a habit though.
Palama Offline
#54 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
frankj1 wrote:
don't make it a habit though.


Copy that.
frankj1 Offline
#55 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
aaargh!
Palama Offline
#56 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
frankj1 wrote:
aaargh!


Was that from Charlie Brown (Peanuts)?
frankj1 Offline
#57 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
yup.

Bristow Gin, splash of tonic...from da Sip courtesy of Mattie B
Mattie B Offline
#58 Posted:
Joined: 12-12-2005
Posts: 6,146
I know that bottle is getting low by now.


frankj1 Offline
#59 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
send me pricing!
Mattie B Offline
#60 Posted:
Joined: 12-12-2005
Posts: 6,146
Franks price........$0
frankj1 Offline
#61 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
that is a great deal, but I don't want you doing this.
You already sent two great bottles of booze, way over the top, bro.
Palama Offline
#62 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
Botanist Gin & Tonic

Trying to broaden our horizons and bought a bottle of Hendricks earlier today.
dkeage Offline
#63 Posted:
Joined: 03-05-2004
Posts: 12,890
Palama wrote:
Botanist Gin & Tonic

Trying to broaden our horizons and bought a bottle of Hendricks earlier today.



Now your talking... Applause
frankj1 Offline
#64 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
Palama wrote:
Botanist Gin & Tonic

Trying to broaden our horizons and bought a bottle of Hendricks earlier today.

I gotta remember your wife's idea of chopping up da cucumber...

bassman45 Offline
#65 Posted:
Joined: 07-05-2009
Posts: 3,634
Ketel One at a wedding last night,good booze food meh.
frankj1 Offline
#66 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
for a completely different style of gin, look for Haymans "Old Tom" gin. It's actually sweet.

good with tonic, even just on ice or shaken and strained, but probably not suited for vermouth and definitely no good with olives
Palama Offline
#67 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
frankj1 wrote:
I gotta remember your wife's idea of chopping up da cucumber...



Nope, my wife chops up mint. A friend said to dice up the cukes. Went grocery shopping today but forgot to buy a cucumber so probably won't bust open the Hendricks till next weekend.
frankj1 Offline
#68 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
Palama wrote:
Nope, my wife chops up mint. A friend said to dice up the cukes. Went grocery shopping today but forgot to buy a cucumber so probably won't bust open the Hendricks till next weekend.

right, right. It was Bobbit's wife who chopped up the cuke.
chazbo Offline
#69 Posted:
Joined: 01-21-2007
Posts: 7,478
Tried a Vodka made at the Dogfish Head brewery that had a nice lil peanut flavor.
Palama Offline
#70 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
Hendricks with a couple dashes of peach bitters.

Actually opened the bottle on Sunday and had a G&T with diced cucumbers but gonna try just a slice the next time.
Palama Offline
#71 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
Hendricks G&T with 2 cucumber slices.

Liked the sliced cukes better.
frankj1 Offline
#72 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
Palama wrote:
Hendricks G&T with 2 cucumber slices.

Liked the sliced cukes better.

just so natural with that cuke essence in the gin
Palama Offline
#73 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
Nolet's G&T

Liked it.
frankj1 Offline
#74 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
Palama wrote:
Nolet's G&T

Liked it.

never had, but believe I have seen two or three variations...which was yours?
frankj1 Offline
#75 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
Crop Organic Cucumber Vodka

70 proof, interesting, but ya gotta love cucumber...the vegetable, you sick bastids.
Palama Offline
#76 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
frankj1 wrote:
never had, but believe I have seen two or three variations...which was yours?


Silver. Our daughter bought it last week, had only seen the green bottle Silver in the stores and didn't know they had the Reserve until you asked. My wife really likes it and could be her new Go-to.
frankj1 Offline
#77 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
good to know. you're sort of into the gin experience, huh?
Palama Offline
#78 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
frankj1 wrote:
good to know. you're sort of into the gin experience, huh?


Yah, I guess we're (...surprisingly...) getting into it. Living in a warm and humid place draws you to chilled drinks and my wife really enjoys it.
namadio Offline
#79 Posted:
Joined: 11-24-2014
Posts: 1,545
ewww. clear spirits ;D
Palama Offline
#80 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 9,021
Nolet's G&T
Whistlebritches Offline
#81 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 15,304
Homemade sweet potato vodka and limón pepino gatorade.............this stuff rocks
frankj1 Offline
#82 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
Whistlebritches wrote:
Homemade sweet potato vodka and limón pepino gatorade.............this stuff rocks

from your home?
Whistlebritches Offline
#83 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 15,304
frankj1 wrote:
from your home?


No.........Old Teammate of mine from the Navy.He lives in Virginia........he and his cousins make some awesome spirits together.
Speyside Offline
#84 Posted:
Joined: 03-16-2015
Posts: 3,624
Sweet potato vodka sounds awesome.
8trackdisco Offline
#85 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 48,180
Vodka limited to Bloody Mary's in my world. It all tastes pretty much the same to me. Taste like alcohol, period. Guess that is why it is favored by alcoholics everywhere. The open vodka bottle in the house is Gordon's.
Whistlebritches Offline
#86 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 15,304
8trackdisco wrote:
Vodka limited to Bloody Mary's in my world. It all tastes pretty much the same to me. Taste like alcohol, period. Guess that is why it is favored by alcoholics everywhere. The open vodka bottle in the house is Gordon's.


Actually I have been on a vodka voyage the last couple months and have found there are differences.Wheat vodka is smooth with little to no real taste.The potato vodkas have a pretty good bite on them.Rye vodkas,Belvedere and Sobieski,are turning into a favorite........both have a unique flavor I attribute to the rye.For the price Sobieski wins hands down,just not enough difference to justify the extra cost of Belvedere.Svedka,a wheat vodka,has also turned into a fave.......makes nice smooth vodka tonics,only Dripping Springs was this smooth.Grey Goose was most over rated in my opinion.....just nothing special.I'll take the Svedka all day long over GG.Worst pour ever was Taaka.........rubbing alcohol taste and almost instant headache.

Barley's and some of the other different base ingredients are next on the agenda.
SmokeMonkey Offline
#87 Posted:
Joined: 04-05-2015
Posts: 3,134
Whistle, we are absolutely on the same page. I've drank much more than my share of vodka, always on the rocks with a twist, and tried over 100. The ryes, particularly, Belvedere, are far and away my favorites. Sobieski is a great value, but has become difficult to find at my local ABC. Dripping Springs has too soft a taste for me - maybe mineral content in the source water? I prefer Tito's of the Texas vodkas. Grey Goose is laughably bad, even without taking the price into consideration.

I would suggest trying Stoli Elit (Mrs Monkey's favorite). I'm sure you've tried Ketel. Van Gogh is somewhat average. Russian Standards offerings tend to be good as well, but I can't buy it in Alabama. The Belvedere Unfiltered (black bottle) is very interesting, but not an every day sipper.

frankj1 Offline
#88 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
I used to keep a bottle of Belvedere in the freezer so I could pour it cold and not have it diluted by melting ice. Also gave it a thickness, improving the mouth feel.

Tonight when out for Mom Day dinner, I had a Belvi martini, EXTRA dry, olives.
SmokeMonkey Offline
#89 Posted:
Joined: 04-05-2015
Posts: 3,134
It makes a fantastic martini, although I prefer mine straight up with a twist. With olives within reach.
frankj1 Offline
#90 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
SmokeMonkey wrote:
It makes a fantastic martini, although I prefer mine straight up with a twist. With olives within reach.

when it comes out of the freezer, no vermouth, no ice, sometimes olives.

count me as another who thinks Grey Goose is nothing special.
Whistlebritches Offline
#91 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 15,304
So have either of you tried Svedka?Of the wheats this was the best in my opinion.I even tried the Grey Goose last expecting an awakening........nope Svedka hands down.I picked up a 1.75L for $24.......great value

I may pick up a bottle of Belvedere some day but for the time being Sobi will do.In the bar Sobi was $5 and Belvedere was $10
frankj1 Offline
#92 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
Svedka is just fine, and a true value. i tend to not use Belvi with tonic, but it doesn't bother me to use the good low cost brands that way.
SmokeMonkey Offline
#93 Posted:
Joined: 04-05-2015
Posts: 3,134
Agree with Frank, Svedka is fine. If I'm buying for value, I'll usually go Sobieski over Svedka because I prefer the flavor profile. There was something else I tried and really liked in that price range, but it's escaping me right now. If I can get my brain working, I'll post it.
jjanecka Offline
#94 Posted:
Joined: 12-08-2015
Posts: 2,312
I hate svedka, I typically go with Lukasowa for cheap. Also Żubrowka is excellent and almost has a slight vanilla finish. It's so smooth you can shoot it at ambient temperature and is only $20 a fifth.

If y'all want something extra special, befriend a Mongolian and get them to bring back Karsoobd. Hands down the best vodka I've ever had. Mongolian vodka is the best. Probably the only alcohol that I can honestly say could potentially give me alcohol poisoning. I drank enough of it to feel lightning bolts criss crossing my brain one night.

There are other brands, Chinggis, Valor, Gereg, which are also very good straight. In my opinion, the best go Mongolian, Polish, Russian, and then the rest is kind of a mixed bag.
SmokeMonkey Offline
#95 Posted:
Joined: 04-05-2015
Posts: 3,134
jjanecka wrote:
I hate svedka, I typically go with Lukasowa for cheap. Also Żubrowka is excellent and almost has a slight vanilla finish. It's so smooth you can shoot it at ambient temperature and is only $20 a fifth.

If y'all want something extra special, befriend a Mongolian and get them to bring back Karsoobd. Hands down the best vodka I've ever had. Mongolian vodka is the best. Probably the only alcohol that I can honestly say could potentially give me alcohol poisoning. I drank enough of it to feel lightning bolts criss crossing my brain one night.

There are other brands, Chinggis, Valor, Gereg, which are also very good straight. In my opinion, the best go Mongolian, Polish, Russian, and then the rest is kind of a mixed bag.


Never tried Mongolian Think
frankj1 Offline
#96 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 16,115
jjanecka wrote:
I hate svedka, I typically go with Lukasowa for cheap. Also Żubrowka is excellent and almost has a slight vanilla finish. It's so smooth you can shoot it at ambient temperature and is only $20 a fifth.

If y'all want something extra special, befriend a Mongolian and get them to bring back Karsoobd. Hands down the best vodka I've ever had. Mongolian vodka is the best. Probably the only alcohol that I can honestly say could potentially give me alcohol poisoning. I drank enough of it to feel lightning bolts criss crossing my brain one night.

There are other brands, Chinggis, Valor, Gereg, which are also very good straight. In my opinion, the best go Mongolian, Polish, Russian, and then the rest is kind of a mixed bag.

Lukasowa, potato vodka, right?

If it's what I'm thinking of, had it many times, very good at a good low price.
Speyside Offline
#97 Posted:
Joined: 03-16-2015
Posts: 3,624
I like Tito's. Yellow corn based, distilled 6 times.
jjanecka Offline
#98 Posted:
Joined: 12-08-2015
Posts: 2,312
Yeah Lukasowa is potato vodka, the majority of good Polish vodka is Potato based. I only do shots, vodka is like water.

In slavic countries there's also Slivovice which is distilled from plums and hruskovice from pears. You gotta be a man to be able to drink that stuff at room temp but it's got a little different vodka-type taste too. Hard to find good quality ones in the states.
Whistlebritches Offline
#99 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 15,304
Today's haul........

Another 1.75L of Sobieski,Lovin this rye juice.Nice spicy peppery finish.Really livens up a vodka tonic

1.75L Heaven Hill London Dry Gin...........love their bourbon so why not

1.75L Burnett's vodka.Store owner said its his best seller............to whom,alcoholics or vodkaphiles?
SmokeMonkey Offline
#100 Posted:
Joined: 04-05-2015
Posts: 3,134
jjanecka wrote:
Yeah Lukasowa is potato vodka, the majority of good Polish vodka is Potato based. I only do shots, vodka is like water.

In slavic countries there's also Slivovice which is distilled from plums and hruskovice from pears. You gotta be a man to be able to drink that stuff at room temp but it's got a little different vodka-type taste too. Hard to find good quality ones in the states.


Uh, those sound right up my alley. I need to find someone going to Eastern Europe.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123>