America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 3 months ago by Pudding Mittens. 19 replies replies.
Oldest Continuously Operated Inn in the USA
tonygraz Offline
#1 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 11,140
Griswold Inn in Essex, CT

checked their dinner menu and decided not to go: https://griswoldinn.com/
danmdevries Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 02-11-2014
Posts: 10,930
What's wrong with their dinner menu?
KingoftheCove Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,471
Some stuff a bit pricey.......depending on what you’re used to I guess.
Bar menu looks pretty good.

My wife was just in Santa Cruz.
She went to Pizza My Heart, long time Santa Cruz place.
Large pizzas are $35........... ouch........wouldn’t feed 4 people...........probably would feed Drafter....
tonygraz Offline
#4 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 11,140
danmdevries wrote:
What's wrong with their dinner menu?


Not many choices and a bit pricey. Long ride to get there too.
fiddler898 Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 06-15-2009
Posts: 3,219
The Gris is a classic. Dining room menu pricey, bar menu is spot on. I live a stone's throw from there, if you ever visit, I’m buying your first drink.

Plus Sea Chanteys every Monday night!
frankj1 Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 28,508
fiddler898 wrote:
The Gris is a classic. Dining room menu pricey, bar menu is spot on. I live a stone's throw from there, if you ever visit, I’m buying your first drink.

Plus Sea Chanteys every Monday night!

this better not happen without me!
Tony and I tried to do a quick coffee meeting a while back when he was heading to the Cape but it didn't work out.
And you, you're an acquired taste.
Mrs. dpnewell Offline
#7 Posted:
Joined: 08-23-2014
Posts: 1,050
Donna and I ate several times at the Historic Revere Tavern in Paradise PA (near Lancaster). It pre-dates the Gris by 26 years (1740 compared to 1776). Interesting place but very pricey.

BTW - WRONG BOARD NOOB!!!!

David
Palama Offline
#8 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 11,949
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
Donna and I ate several times at the Historic Revere Tavern in Paradise PA (near Lancaster). It pre-dates the Gris by 26 years (1740 compared to 1776). Interesting place but very pricey.

BTW - WRONG BOARD NOOB!!!!

David


Maybe you can smoke in there?
tonygraz Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 11,140
fiddler898 wrote:
The Gris is a classic. Dining room menu pricey, bar menu is spot on. I live a stone's throw from there, if you ever visit, I’m buying your first drink.

Plus Sea Chanteys every Monday night!


Sounds like a plan- of course I'm busier than Frank - he just retired.
Pudding Mittens Offline
#10 Posted:
Joined: 08-15-2016
Posts: 756
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
It pre-dates the Gris by 26 years (1740 compared to 1776).


You must've meant 36 years, or you're terrible at math. Which is it? Herfing
.
ForMud Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 02-13-2018
Posts: 17
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
Donna and I ate several times at the Historic Revere Tavern in Paradise PA (near Lancaster). It pre-dates the Gris by 26 years (1740 compared to 1776). Interesting place but very pricey.

BTW - WRONG BOARD NOOB!!!!

David


Should have gone 1/4 mile down the road to Miller's Smorgasbord all you can eat buffet.... $25.49.......
dstieger Offline
#12 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 10,336
Wouldn't look expensive if it were here.

Wife and I had burgers and 2 cocktails not too far from here and paid $76 (including tip.)
Mrs. dpnewell Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 08-23-2014
Posts: 1,050
ForMud wrote:
Should have gone 1/4 mile down the road to Miller's Smorgasbord all you can eat buffet.... $25.49.......


Actually for a smorg we prefer Shady Maple in Blue Ball (20 minutes from Miller's). Much larger selection and better food. We like surf & turf night on Tuesdays. $23.99 for multiple versions of shrimp, clams, mussels, oysters, fish, fillet mignon, NY strip, brisket, salad/soup bar, PA Dutch cakes, pies and desserts. As seniors we get 10% off and gratuity is included, so no tipping permitted. Oh, and on Birthdays, your meal is FREE. Monday (steak and shrimp night) was Donna's birthday. Paid a total of $18.85 for the two of us, beverage, dessert, tax and gratuity included.

David
KingoftheCove Offline
#14 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,471
dstieger wrote:
Wouldn't look expensive if it were here.

Wife and I had burgers and 2 cocktails not too far from here and paid $76 (including tip.)

Just one of the reasons I rarely go out to eat anymore........stupid prices.....and all too often, not impressed with the food...........my wife has spoiled me.
KingoftheCove Offline
#15 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,471
And she feels the same way.
RMAN4443 Offline
#16 Posted:
Joined: 09-29-2016
Posts: 5,994
KingoftheCove wrote:
And she feels the same way.

I agree with her, she has most likely spoiled the hell out of you....Anxious
KingoftheCove Offline
#17 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,471
RMAN4443 wrote:
I agree with her, she has most likely spoiled the hell out of you....Anxious

True....true...
ForMud Offline
#18 Posted:
Joined: 02-13-2018
Posts: 17
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
Actually for a smorg we prefer Shady Maple in Blue Ball (20 minutes from Miller's). Much larger selection and better food. We like surf & turf night on Tuesdays. $23.99 for multiple versions of shrimp, clams, mussels, oysters, fish, fillet mignon, NY strip, brisket, salad/soup bar, PA Dutch cakes, pies and desserts. As seniors we get 10% off and gratuity is included, so no tipping permitted. Oh, and on Birthdays, your meal is FREE. Monday (steak and shrimp night) was Donna's birthday. Paid a total of $18.85 for the two of us, beverage, dessert, tax and gratuity included.

David


That's one thing about that area...Lots of places to eat and plenty to see.
Pudding Mittens Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 08-15-2016
Posts: 756
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
Actually for a smorg we prefer Shady Maple in Blue Ball (20 minutes from Miller's).

FUN FACT: You can enjoy Intercourse only 15 minutes after experiencing Blue Ball!

(For those not familiar with the area, no, I am not kidding. The real town of Blue Ball, PA really is about 15 minutes by car from the real town of Intercourse, PA. Many jokes have been made over the decades, yes indeed.)
.
Users browsing this topic
Guest