America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 2 hours ago by izonfire. 148 replies replies.
3 Pages123>
Alabama Song
Buckwheat Offline
#1 Posted:
Joined: 04-15-2004
Posts: 11,641
I think that Alabama has gone off the rails with their latest abortion law. I think it's unconstitutional and should be stricken down by the SCOTUS.

"Well, show me the way
To the next whiskey bar
Oh, don't ask why
Oh, don't ask why
Show me the way
To the next whiskey bar
Oh, don't ask why
Oh, don't ask why
For if we don't find
The next whiskey bar
I tell you we must die
I tell you we must die
I tell you, I tell you
I tell you we must die"

Beer
dstieger Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 9,870
What are you doing Alabama?
You got the rest of the union
To help you along
What's going wrong?
teedubbya Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 08-14-2003
Posts: 84,970
the extremists in both parties sure are running things although I believe them to be extreme minorities within each party (folks in here excepted lol)
dstieger Offline
#4 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 9,870
This could backfire.
It may be just the kindling that dems need to light a fire for the next year and a half.
Not just Congressional seats, but state legislatures, too. Not to mention RBG successor.
tailgater Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
It's Alabama.
If they'd make a law to ban incest then there would be no reason for an abortion.

dstieger Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 9,870
I almost forgot....Alyssa Milano is going to fix this
Cigarlady7 Online
#7 Posted:
Joined: 11-03-2018
Posts: 375
Buckwheat wrote:
I think that Alabama has gone off the rails with their latest abortion law. I think it's unconstitutional and should be stricken down by the SCOTUS.

"Well, show me the way
To the next whiskey bar
Oh, don't ask why
Oh, don't ask why
Show me the way
To the next whiskey bar
Oh, don't ask why
Oh, don't ask why
For if we don't find
The next whiskey bar
I tell you we must die
I tell you we must die
I tell you, I tell you
I tell you we must die"

Beer


Thank God my tubes are tied.... I live in Alabama. Smh
izonfire Online
#8 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 139
I believe in personal freedom, and I resent the government trying to control individual behavior, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Though I understand the gray area of defining when human life actually begins.

But when I read this -
"The Alabama Senate passed the bill 25-6 late Tuesday night. The law only allows exceptions "to avoid a serious health risk to the unborn child's mother," for ectopic pregnancy and if the "unborn child has a lethal anomaly." Democrats re-introduced an amendment to exempt rape and incest victims, but the motion failed on an 11-21 vote."
- I couldn't believe it.

Unconscionable
delta1 Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 16,662
I see their strategy...make it so unconscionably unconstitutional in order to force it to the SCOTUS, where the anti-abortion wing of the GOP expects the new conservative majority on the bench to hear the case and enable the court to reverse Roe v Wade, or at least chip away at it by returning more sovereignty on this issue to the states...


saw a poll on abortion...more than 3 out of 4 of all Americans are in favor of abortion...

so how's it feel to have a small minority of citizens dictating to the majority, on what individuals can and cannot do, instead of the govt?

oh wait, that happened during the 2016 elections...never mind...
victor809 Offline
#10 Posted:
Joined: 10-14-2011
Posts: 18,015
Have you read the spin on it?
Allowing an abuser to "force" an incest rape victim to get an abortion would destroy the evidence of the incestuous rape and therefore it's good to force her to have the kid.


Fking idiotic.
frankj1 Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 26,905
delta1 wrote:
I see their strategy...make it so unconscionably unconstitutional in order to force it to the SCOTUS, where the anti-abortion wing of the GOP expects the new conservative majority on the bench to hear the case and enable the court to reverse Roe v Wade, or at least chip away at it by returning more sovereignty on this issue to the states...


saw a poll on abortion...more than 3 out of 4 of all Americans are in favor of abortion...

so how's it feel to have a small minority of citizens dictating to the majority, on what individuals can and cannot do, instead of the govt?

oh wait, that happened during the 2016 elections...never mind...

so, I don't think that is what you mean.
words have meaning and create/limit thoughts, feelings, and opinions... and pro-life people have made inroads in sticking the negative attachments of murder by renaming pro-choice people "pro-abortion".
Subtle but effective thought changing inside one's mind...like calling lies alternative facts.

I am strongly pro-choice. I'm personally against abortion.
I would choose not to abort if it was up to me, but it would not be up to me.
Just don't think I could live with it, but I have no say in what others do.

I wish sex education was out in the open and knowledge of birth control treated as normally as teaching how to balance a checkbook.

Forget pro-life and pro-choice. The big goal should be pro-pregnancy prevention.
Abrignac Offline
#12 Posted:
Joined: 02-24-2012
Posts: 14,299
delta1 wrote:
I see their strategy...make it so unconscionably unconstitutional in order to force it to the SCOTUS, where the anti-abortion wing of the GOP expects the new conservative majority on the bench to hear the case and enable the court to reverse Roe v Wade, or at least chip away at it by returning more sovereignty on this issue to the states...


saw a poll on abortion...more than 3 out of 4 of all Americans are in favor of abortion...

so how's it feel to have a small minority of citizens dictating to the majority, on what individuals can and cannot do, instead of the govt?

oh wait, that happened during the 2016 elections...never mind...


75% of US citizens support abortion? Love ya Al, but I’m going to throw the bull**** flag on that.
teedubbya Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 08-14-2003
Posts: 84,970
75% in favor of keeping row v wade
JadeRose Offline
#14 Posted:
Joined: 05-15-2008
Posts: 17,387
Cigarlady7 wrote:
Thank God my tubes are tied.... I live in Alabama. Smh




I'm genuinely sorry for you, although I live in Missouri so I'm not really sure why
JadeRose Offline
#15 Posted:
Joined: 05-15-2008
Posts: 17,387
frankj1 wrote:


I am strongly pro-choice. I'm personally against abortion.
I would choose not to abort if it was up to me, but it would not be up to me.
Just don't think I could live with it, but I have no say in what others do.






Couldn't have said it better Frank. I am Pro-Choice for 2 reasons...1.) I have daughters and I would NOT want them to have to suffer through giving birth to **** child of a rapist. It would be Fatherless as I would kill him before the $hit kid got pushed out and 2.) I have a nutsack which instantly negates me from telling another person...especially those who DON'T have one, what to do with their bodies.
frankj1 Offline
#16 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 26,905
JadeRose wrote:
Couldn't have said it better Frank. I am Pro-Choice for 2 reasons...1.) I have daughters and I would NOT want them to have to suffer through giving birth to **** child of a rapist. It would be Fatherless as I would kill him before the $hit kid got pushed out and 2.) I have a nutsack which instantly negates me from telling another person...especially those who DON'T have one, what to do with their bodies.

stop making sense.
Gene363 Offline
#17 Posted:
Joined: 01-24-2003
Posts: 23,988
frankj1 wrote:
so, I don't think that is what you mean.
words have meaning and create/limit thoughts, feelings, and opinions... and pro-life people have made inroads in sticking the negative attachments of murder by renaming pro-choice people "pro-abortion".
Subtle but effective thought changing inside one's mind...like calling lies alternative facts.

I am strongly pro-choice. I'm personally against abortion.
I would choose not to abort if it was up to me, but it would not be up to me.
Just don't think I could live with it, but I have no say in what others do.

I wish sex education was out in the open and knowledge of birth control treated as normally as teaching how to balance a checkbook.

Forget pro-life and pro-choice. The big goal should be pro-pregnancy prevention.



Now it gets scarier, I agree too, the government has no business up a women's skirt.

That said, the government has no business funding or in any way supporting abortion. IMO abortion is the murder of an unborn child. Reasonable exceptions are as mentioned by Jade.
delta1 Offline
#18 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 16,662
Abrignac wrote:
75% of US citizens support abortion? Love ya Al, but I’m going to throw the bull**** flag on that.



whaddya know....I was wrong....it is closer to 8 out of 10 Americans support legal abortions...79% support abortion in some cases or in all cases...

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

see the third graph...29% of Americans say abortions should be legal in some circumstances and 50% of Americans say abortions should be legal under any circumstance: 50 + 29 = 79%


only 18% of Americans say abortions should be illegal in all cases...
frankj1 Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 26,905
Gene363 wrote:
Now it gets scarier, I agree too, the government has no business up a women's skirt.

That said, the government has no business funding or in any way supporting abortion. IMO abortion is the murder of an unborn child. Reasonable exceptions are as mentioned by Jade.

I'm not smaht enough to propose a solution that makes all happy.
..other than an all out fully funded act to promote pregnancy prevention.

I apologize up front, but I have no qualms if any religions are offended by the benefits of understanding that humans enjoy and will partake in sexual intercourse without the end goal of creating a new life.

Met my wife at age 16. Got married at age 24. Had our first child at age 28.
She was planned.

It's not that difficult to prevent pregnancy.

It's our only reasonable hope to prevent abortion. Cutting funds and access to health care for women by anti-abortion supporters is idiotic.
victor809 Offline
#20 Posted:
Joined: 10-14-2011
Posts: 18,015
I have a solution we can all agree on...


Mandatory abortions.

Only exceptions to be granted by myself.

And I'm not likely to grant many exceptions...



Can we all agree this is the best solution?
tailgater Offline
#21 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
frankj1 wrote:
so, I don't think that is what you mean.
words have meaning and create/limit thoughts, feelings, and opinions... and pro-life people have made inroads in sticking the negative attachments of murder by renaming pro-choice people "pro-abortion".
Subtle but effective thought changing inside one's mind...like calling lies alternative facts.

I am strongly pro-choice. I'm personally against abortion.
I would choose not to abort if it was up to me, but it would not be up to me.
Just don't think I could live with it, but I have no say in what others do.

I wish sex education was out in the open and knowledge of birth control treated as normally as teaching how to balance a checkbook.

Forget pro-life and pro-choice. The big goal should be pro-pregnancy prevention.


It's becoming more and more difficult to believe that those who push the pro-choice agenda are not literally pro-abortion.
Easier access.
No father approval.
No parental approval for underage.
"free"
And now we've got the ability to abort right up to the delivery.


I agree with what you say, and I would NEVER want abortion to be illegal or inaccessible. But we need to stop calling it a "choice" and start treating it like what it is: a decision with consequences.
tailgater Offline
#22 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
victor809 wrote:
I have a solution we can all agree on...


Mandatory abortions.

Only exceptions to be granted by myself.

And I'm not likely to grant many exceptions...



Can we all agree this is the best solution?


In the US only? Or worldwide? What about the sh*t-hole countries? Will North Korea acquiesce?

We need more detail.
victor809 Offline
#23 Posted:
Joined: 10-14-2011
Posts: 18,015
Worldwide.

victor809 Offline
#24 Posted:
Joined: 10-14-2011
Posts: 18,015
Does tail actually believe there is "abortions right up to the delivery"?

I have trouble believing anyone bought that load of horse swill.... But then it is tail....
tailgater Offline
#25 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
victor809 wrote:
Does tail actually believe there is "abortions right up to the delivery"?

I have trouble believing anyone bought that load of horse swill.... But then it is tail....


Third term abortions are a real thing.

My niece just had her baby at 29 weeks.

Even you might be able to do that math.







JadeRose Offline
#26 Posted:
Joined: 05-15-2008
Posts: 17,387
tailgater wrote:
Third term abortions are a real thing.






Ok..I'm in. Please give us an example of a late term abortion that was performed just because the woman didn't want the baby. Not where the Mother was in imminent danger or some screed written in some nonsense right wing bull$hit website. A REAL example.
bgz Offline
#27 Posted:
Joined: 07-29-2014
Posts: 7,248
victor809 wrote:
Have you read the spin on it?
Allowing an abuser to "force" an incest rape victim to get an abortion would destroy the evidence of the incestuous rape and therefore it's good to force her to have the kid.


Fking idiotic.


Pretty sure you can get a dna test to determine the rapist from an aborted fetus.

So ya... pretty idiotic.
delta1 Offline
#28 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 16,662
ya, most states don't allow abortions after the 21-25 week, second trimester, or some point where the fetus is "viable" outside the womb...

any third trimester "late term"/"post viability" abortions are not by choice, but must be for medical necessity for the mother or some extreme fetal abnormality...only one percent of all abortions occur post viability/after the 24th week...
frankj1 Offline
#29 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 26,905
Pretty sure banning abortions hasn't lowered the rate at which they occur.
It may actually cause the deaths of x number of women however.

Pretty sure greater access to birth control lowers the abortion rate.
tailgater Offline
#30 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
JadeRose wrote:
Ok..I'm in. Please give us an example of a late term abortion that was performed just because the woman didn't want the baby. Not where the Mother was in imminent danger or some screed written in some nonsense right wing bull$hit website. A REAL example.


That's rich.
Abortions have traditionally been legalized and performed within the first two trimesters.
Laws weren't changed to accommodate mothers in danger.
Laws were changed to prove how killing the unborn is simply a choice. One that the woman is free to make. At any time until the baby is born.

My niece very recently gave birth at 29 weeks.
Are you trying to say that no abortions are ever performed past 29 weeks other than when the mother is in danger?

Don't be such a main stream media driven troll.

How could I possibly know what the woman wants when an abortion is performed?
But I do find it telling that you call the pregnant woman "mother".
Last I heard, to be a mother you must have a child. I'm glad you consider the unborn child a real person, even though you won't admit it in mixed company.




tailgater Offline
#31 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
frankj1 wrote:
Pretty sure banning abortions hasn't lowered the rate at which they occur.
It may actually cause the deaths of x number of women however.

Pretty sure greater access to birth control lowers the abortion rate.



What does "greater access to birth control" mean?
Who doesn't have "access"?

The stats I've seen show that abortion rates are higher in many of the states where "access to birth control" shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.kff.org/womens-health-policy/state-indicator/abortion-rate/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D


Don't misunderstand me. I not against "access" to birth control.
I'd just like to know what people mean when they say it, because the numbers don't seem to support that notion.

frankj1 Offline
#32 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 26,905
Without doing any research at all, I figure not everyone has a CVS down the street, and not everyone who is sexually active is old enough to purchase?
Many of those spending time and money to prevent legal and safe abortion are the same people determined to kill funding for the places that provide not just birth control but counseling as well.

frankj1 Offline
#33 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 26,905
1 minute of research (and there are more sites)
https://powertodecide.org/what-we-do/access/access-birth-control

high rating from Charity Navigator (whoever that is)
MACS Offline
#34 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 64,804
I'm Pro-Choice. I disagree with abortion as a means of birth control, but realize it is a necessary evil in some cases.

I'd prefer if the gov't stayed out of the entire process completely. No stupid new laws, and no funding.

Alabama fkd up.
victor809 Offline
#35 Posted:
Joined: 10-14-2011
Posts: 18,015
Tail made a dumb unsupported claim.... Jade called him on it... And his response is to claim Jade is a mainstream media driven troll.

Tail he asked you to provide evidence of your idiotic claim. First do some math to make sure you know how many weeks are in a trimester... Then prove your dumb claim.
DrafterX Offline
#36 Posted:
Joined: 10-18-2005
Posts: 87,928
delta1 wrote:
whaddya know....I was wrong....it is closer to 8 out of 10 Americans support legal abortions...79% support abortion in some cases or in all cases...

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

see the third graph...29% of Americans say abortions should be legal in some circumstances and 50% of Americans say abortions should be legal under any circumstance: 50 + 29 = 79%


only 18% of Americans say abortions should be illegal in all cases...




An overwhelming majority was/are against gay marriage too... Mellow
tailgater Offline
#37 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
frankj1 wrote:
Without doing any research at all, I figure not everyone has a CVS down the street, and not everyone who is sexually active is old enough to purchase?
Many of those spending time and money to prevent legal and safe abortion are the same people determined to kill funding for the places that provide not just birth control but counseling as well.



Not everyone has a CVS nearby.
But don't ignore the facts that in Massachusetts (for instance) it's much more likely to have one close by yet abortion rates are higher than they are in many of the states where that CVS isn't.

One could argue that "access" actually increases the abortion rates, but we can agree that this doesn't make any sense.

Stats mean nothing without supporting details. And stats are dangerous tools when wielded incorrectly.

In this case, however, it's clear that "access" isn't the issue.

I don't think we should get too sidetracked here.
Alabama is the subject and their new law is dangerous and wrong.

Let's not cloud it by guessing that access or age to purchase is the culprit when the vast majority of abortions are not performed on these groups.


JadeRose Offline
#38 Posted:
Joined: 05-15-2008
Posts: 17,387
tailgater wrote:
That's rich.
Abortions have traditionally been legalized and performed within the first two trimesters.
Laws weren't changed to accommodate mothers in danger.
Laws were changed to prove how killing the unborn is simply a choice. One that the woman is free to make. At any time until the baby is born.

My niece very recently gave birth at 29 weeks.
Are you trying to say that no abortions are ever performed past 29 weeks other than when the mother is in danger?

Don't be such a main stream media driven troll.

How could I possibly know what the woman wants when an abortion is performed?
But I do find it telling that you call the pregnant woman "mother".
Last I heard, to be a mother you must have a child. I'm glad you consider the unborn child a real person, even though you won't admit it in mixed company.








This is the most non-answer I've ever seen. Thanks
tailgater Offline
#39 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
As a side note, I hear it's a good time to invest in the Alabama Coat Hanger company.




























Too soon?
bgz Offline
#40 Posted:
Joined: 07-29-2014
Posts: 7,248
You would think the pro-life people would be happy for gay people getting married... they aren't going to be having any abortions.
tailgater Offline
#41 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
JadeRose wrote:
This is the most non-answer I've ever seen. Thanks


A non-answer to a demand to do your homework for you?

Show me a source that documents what women are thinking when they get their abortion and I'll answer your impossible task.

Late term abortions are legal in some states.
They wouldn't be if people weren't taking advantage of that.
And in the states that don't allow late term abortions, there isn't a rash of women dying from complications where an abortion would have saved them. So the notion of "only allowed when the mother's life is in danger" is nothing but a lie.

Stop boring me.
JadeRose Offline
#42 Posted:
Joined: 05-15-2008
Posts: 17,387
tailgater wrote:
A non-answer to a demand to do your homework for you?

Show me a source that documents what women are thinking when they get their divorce and I'll answer your impossible task.

Late term abortions are legal in some states.
They wouldn't be if people weren't taking advantage of that.
And in the states that don't allow late term abortions, there isn't a rash of women dying from complications where an abortion would have saved them. So the notion of "only allowed when the mother's life is in danger" is nothing but a lie.

Stop boring me.





I DID do my homework and found nothing. You're throwing around "facts" and I'm asking you to corroborate them. Nothing more. You're getting downright pottsian in your posts, TG. I expected better.

Also...good job on the Bill Clinton-esque semantic focus on the word "Mother". What IS the definition of the word "is"?
JadeRose Offline
#43 Posted:
Joined: 05-15-2008
Posts: 17,387
tailgater wrote:



Late term abortions are legal in some states.
They wouldn't be if people weren't taking advantage of that.







This is a curious quote. I believe you are confusing Law and Capitalism.
DrafterX Offline
#44 Posted:
Joined: 10-18-2005
Posts: 87,928
Monica had an abortion... Mellow
frankj1 Offline
#45 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 26,905
tailgater wrote:
Not everyone has a CVS nearby.
But don't ignore the facts that in Massachusetts (for instance) it's much more likely to have one close by yet abortion rates are higher than they are in many of the states where that CVS isn't.

One could argue that "access" actually increases the abortion rates, but we can agree that this doesn't make any sense.

Stats mean nothing without supporting details. And stats are dangerous tools when wielded incorrectly.

In this case, however, it's clear that "access" isn't the issue.

I don't think we should get too sidetracked here.
Alabama is the subject and their new law is dangerous and wrong.

Let's not cloud it by guessing that access or age to purchase is the culprit when the vast majority of abortions are not performed on these groups.



we both know how very close we are on this issue...an issue about women decided by men (feel free to disagree with my add-on).

Oddly enough, I believe you have cited stats that support exactly what I stated! But you left out a key word from your link when you interpreted the data and may have misled yourself into the wrong conclusion, hence the actual danger of incorrect usage.

That key word is "Legal", as in legal abortions reported...not total.

When read correctly, it makes perfect sense why states like NY and MA and a few others have higher numbers of Legal abortions, not simply total numbers of abortions as you took it to mean. We can't tell from your link actual totals. But states with greater access to women's health care services, as I believed before researching, would logically have higher rates of legal (and probably safer) abortions.

when listing the higher end and the lower end of state rankings, there were a couple of misfits on both ends. Wisconsin, for example, shows up in the bottom level along with non-surprise states like Alabama, W. Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi...so I may just have an incomplete personal opinion of Wisconsin in that I picture it closer to MA in "climate".

I'd take a wild guess that in the lower ranked states, there are plenty of illegal/unsafe abortions performed not accounted for in your link. I'd go so far as to guess in the higher ranked states (made up mostly of states with better access to women's health services) there are relatively few in that category.

Some women in lower ranked states who even might have the access I keep referencing may be shamed or scared to go public or be open about their abortions as the local culture/climate could be very intimidating...and yes, this may be my own cultural bias in play.



Gene363 Offline
#46 Posted:
Joined: 01-24-2003
Posts: 23,988
Point of fact, abortion doesn't make you un-pregnant, it makes you the parent of a dead child.
DrafterX Offline
#47 Posted:
Joined: 10-18-2005
Posts: 87,928
What's funnier than a dead fetus..?? Huh
delta1 Offline
#48 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 16,662
here are some facts about late term abortions, defined as post viability, or after 20 - 24 weeks, generally...

Eight states allow them, but only with medical reasons including gestational physical anomalies and mother's health...

only two states, Colorado and New Mexico allow abortions up to 32 weeks; Washington DC allows them up to 36 weeks...done on "case by case basis"


https://www.christianpost.com/news/7-states-already-allow-abortion-up-to-birth-not-just-new-york.html


"Despite abortion up to the time of birth being legal in several states and the nation’s capital, there are only five clinics nationwide that perform late-term abortions. Two are in states that allow abortion up to birth and three are in states that prohibit late-term abortion but allow exemptions (California, Maryland and Ohio)".
tailgater Offline
#49 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
JadeRose wrote:
I DID do my homework and found nothing. You're throwing around "facts" and I'm asking you to corroborate them. Nothing more. You're getting downright pottsian in your posts, TG. I expected better.

Also...good job on the Bill Clinton-esque semantic focus on the word "Mother". What IS the definition of the word "is"?


No need to use quotation around the term "facts" when I've explained it clearly:
Fact: some states allow late term abortion.

I gave an example of how a late abortion could be equated to an abortion "right up until birth". My niece birthed her daughter into this world at only 29 weeks.
Abortions can be, and are performed AFTER this time frame.

And it's not semantics.
The term "mother" means something.
It's just too bad that in our effort to push an agenda that too many forget this.


tailgater Offline
#50 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 23,088
frankj1 wrote:
we both know how very close we are on this issue...an issue about women decided by men (feel free to disagree with my add-on).

Oddly enough, I believe you have cited stats that support exactly what I stated! But you left out a key word from your link when you interpreted the data and may have misled yourself into the wrong conclusion, hence the actual danger of incorrect usage.

That key word is "Legal", as in legal abortions reported...not total.

When read correctly, it makes perfect sense why states like NY and MA and a few others have higher numbers of Legal abortions, not simply total numbers of abortions as you took it to mean. We can't tell from your link actual totals. But states with greater access to women's health care services, as I believed before researching, would logically have higher rates of legal (and probably safer) abortions.

when listing the higher end and the lower end of state rankings, there were a couple of misfits on both ends. Wisconsin, for example, shows up in the bottom level along with non-surprise states like Alabama, W. Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi...so I may just have an incomplete personal opinion of Wisconsin in that I picture it closer to MA in "climate".

I'd take a wild guess that in the lower ranked states, there are plenty of illegal/unsafe abortions performed not accounted for in your link. I'd go so far as to guess in the higher ranked states (made up mostly of states with better access to women's health services) there are relatively few in that category.

Some women in lower ranked states who even might have the access I keep referencing may be shamed or scared to go public or be open about their abortions as the local culture/climate could be very intimidating...and yes, this may be my own cultural bias in play.






So when you're provided with statistics that don't prove your point, you decide to add an imaginary caveat?

If illegal abortions in those backwards states are so common, why the fuss about the new Alabama law?

Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>