America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 11 days ago by frankj1. 41 replies replies.
"You’ll have nobody guarding your potatoes"
victor809 Offline
#1 Posted:
Joined: 10-14-2011
Posts: 22,189
That's it. That's all I got.

Apparently farmers in Virginia need armed men who can't pass normal background checks to guard their potatoes.

Maybe this is an opportunity for some well armed cbidders to head out to VA and offer their services as "potato guards"... or take advantage of the opportunity and steal some potatoes at gunpoint.

tailgater Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 24,571
Well, if that's all you got.
teedubbya Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 08-14-2003
Posts: 90,704
potato guns are fun
BuckyB93 Offline
#4 Posted:
Joined: 07-16-2004
Posts: 8,400
Dude, if the potatoes are stolen how are we going to make freedom fries? Geesus,open your eyes man!
victor809 Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 10-14-2011
Posts: 22,189
BuckyB93 wrote:
Dude, if the potatoes are stolen how are we going to make freedom fries? Geesus,open your eyes man!


I didn't know potatoes were so expensive.

Sh$t... my old company made Oxy and all they had guarding was an old unarmed security guard.


I wonder how much oxy I'd need to trade for a potato.
BuckyB93 Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 07-16-2004
Posts: 8,400
If they aren't guarding them you can have your oxy AND potatoes.
DrafterX Offline
#7 Posted:
Joined: 10-18-2005
Posts: 92,074
Boil em, mash em, stick em in da stew.... Mellow
frankj1 Offline
#8 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
t-gerbs hates potato latkes.
don't know about oxy though.
BuckyB93 Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 07-16-2004
Posts: 8,400
frankj1 wrote:
t-gerbs hates potato latkes.
don't know about oxy though.



What? I just made some the other day, they were yummy. How can he hate potato latkes? Must be a commie or something.
teedubbya Offline
#10 Posted:
Joined: 08-14-2003
Posts: 90,704
He prefers the oxy latkes
frankj1 Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
he thinks they're grease saturated sponges or something.
teedubbya Offline
#12 Posted:
Joined: 08-14-2003
Posts: 90,704
That reminds me of a girl I used to date
frankj1 Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
she hated latkes too?
delta1 Offline
#14 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 21,733
c'mon frank...you haven't tried a grease saturated sponge at a little above body temp?
Krazeehorse Offline
#15 Posted:
Joined: 04-09-2010
Posts: 1,094
If only the TP farms would have had guards......
frankj1 Offline
#16 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
delta1 wrote:
c'mon frank...you haven't tried a grease saturated sponge at a little above body temp?

I was drunk. OK?
JadeRose Offline
#17 Posted:
Joined: 05-15-2008
Posts: 18,124
teedubbya wrote:
That reminds me of a girl I used to date




Reminds ME of Drafter
Sunoverbeach Offline
#18 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 4,170
What does potato guarding pay anyway? Feel like the work can't be too demanding.
Mr. Jones Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 06-12-2005
Posts: 12,262
Red potatoes need ....

The RED GUARD
Brewha Offline
#20 Posted:
Joined: 01-25-2010
Posts: 9,167
Sung to the tune of ‘Addicted To Love’


Potato skins, potato cakes
Hash browns, and instant flakes
Baked or boiled or french fried
There's no kind you haven't tried
You planned a trip to Idaho
Just to watch potatoes grow
I understand how you must feel
I can't deny they've got appeal
Whoah
You like them whether they are plain or they're stuffed, oh yeah
Better face the facts, it seems you can't get enough
You know, you're gonna have to face it
You're addicted to spuds
Your greasy hands, your salty lips
Looks like you found the chips
Your belly aches, your teeth grind
Some tator tots would blow your mind
And you don't mind if they're not cooked
You need your fix, I guess you're hooked
And late at night you always dream
Of bacon bits and sour cream
Whoah, you like them even if they're lumpy or tough, oh yeah
Whee, It's pretty obvoius to me you can't get enough
You know you're gonna have to face it
You're addicted to spuds
Might as well face it, you're addicted to spuds
Might as well face it, you're addicted to spuds
Might as well face it, you're addicted to spuds
Might as well face it, you're addicted to spuds
Might as well face it, you're addicted to spuds
Ooh yeah
I'm givin' up, it'sjust no use
Another case of spud abuse
What can I say, what can I do
Potato bug has got me too, Wahoo
I used to hate them, now they're all that I eat, oh yeah
Whee, I've often seen then whipped, but they just can't be beat
Now I'm gonna have to face it
I'm addicted to spuds
Might as well face it, I'm addicted to spuds
Might as well face it, I'm addicted to spuds
Might as well face it, I'm addicted to spuds
Might as well face it, I'm addicted to spuds
tonygraz Offline
#21 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 13,003
Weren't they giving taters away a few weeks ago in Idaho ?
Sunoverbeach Offline
#22 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 4,170
Supply and demand. Idaho has a surplus of spuds to where value is minimal and can be given away. Virginia taters are apparently rare and quite valuable, so must be guarded
BuckyB93 Offline
#23 Posted:
Joined: 07-16-2004
Posts: 8,400
Dairy farmers all over the US have to dump out their milk too. The biggest demand for milk comes from the school lunch programs and no school = no demand. They can't store milk for long and they can't let Ol' Bessy dry up so they have to dump it. Then you have the restaurants being closed - no demand for those little containers of creamer or pads of butter. The lock down and lock up are hurting the dairy industries too.
frankj1 Offline
#24 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
food pantries?
BuckyB93 Offline
#25 Posted:
Joined: 07-16-2004
Posts: 8,400
The milk has to be further processed before it can be consumed. If there is no demand there it makes zero economic sense in adding value (transportation, processing, storage, distribution, labor...) to a product that is destined to be scrapped. Food pantries don't often stock or distribute perishable items or ones that have short shelf lives.

Most of the produce waste from grocery stores, at least the ones in my area, gets thrown in a dumpster then hauled off to a pig farm to feed the pigs or a bio-gas digester make methane for energy. A good friend of mine has a cousin that owns two dairy farms and has two digesters on his property here in central MA.

https://vanguardrenewables.com/jordan-dairy-farm/
frankj1 Offline
#26 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
BuckyB93 wrote:
The milk has to be further processed before it can be consumed. If there is no demand there it makes zero economic sense in adding value (transportation, processing, storage, distribution, labor...) to a product that is destined to be scrapped. Food pantries don't often stock or distribute perishable items or ones that have short shelf lives.

Most of the produce waste from grocery stores, at least the ones in my area, gets thrown in a dumpster then hauled off to a pig farm to feed the pigs or a bio-gas digester make methane for energy. A good friend of mine has a cousin that owns two dairy farms and has two digesters on his property here in central MA.

https://vanguardrenewables.com/jordan-dairy-farm/

pretty interesting link, especially living not so far away myself.
tonygraz Offline
#27 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 13,003
Milk can be processed so that it lasts several months in unopened cartons. They can also make powdered milk that lasts even longer. Is it supply and demand or keep up prices ?
izonfire Offline
#28 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 5,389
frankj1 wrote:
pretty interesting link, especially living not so far away myself.

I, on the other hand, live pretty far away,
Which makes it especially uninteresting...
BuckyB93 Offline
#29 Posted:
Joined: 07-16-2004
Posts: 8,400
tonygraz wrote:
Milk can be processed so that it lasts several months in unopened cartons. They can also make powdered milk that lasts even longer.


True and True but the farmer has no control of this.

tonygraz wrote:
Is it supply and demand or keep up prices ?


Farmers don't set the prices of milk nor do they set how much to produce. The federal government tells them what the price is going to be and how much they can sell. Farmers also don't have the luxury of turning Ol' Bessy's milk production on and off as they wish in order to adjust to demand.

If you think that the dairy farmers have ANY control of the dairy market your would be 100% wrong.
frankj1 Offline
#30 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
that's because it's run by a bunch of Hoods.
frankj1 Offline
#31 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
seems to have come to light in recent weeks that the farmers lose whether it's government controlled or an open market.

Pig farmers were slaughtering their excess animals and settling for pennies on the dollar from the Tysons of the world, who in turn were marking up the now limited supply (limiteddue to processing plant virus shutdowns) to national supermarket chains and other meat retailers.

Somehow the originators lose, the public gets gouged, and the giants in the middle charge more whether you're a believer in socialism or capitalism...
izonfire Offline
#32 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 5,389
frankj1 wrote:
seems to have come to light in recent weeks that the farmers lose whether it's government controlled or an open market.

Pig farmers were slaughtering their excess animals and settling for pennies on the dollar from the Tysons of the world, who in turn were marking up the now limited supply (limiteddue to processing plant virus shutdowns) to national supermarket chains and other meat retailers.

Somehow the originators lose, the public gets gouged, and the giants in the middle charge more whether you're a believer in socialism or capitalism...

Another instance of those who are in control manipulating the market to squeeze every last penny from every situation.
Pure greed. Fucque everyone else. Whether it be agriculture, banking, or what have you.
Which is why pure capitalism will never be the answer...
frankj1 Offline
#33 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
true for pure anything...usually.
a sprinkling of common sense and seeking the best way may better serve the masses.
izonfire Offline
#34 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 5,389
Serving the masses has not been the agenda for years...
frankj1 Offline
#35 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
then serve them potatoes
izonfire Offline
#36 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 5,389
frankj1 wrote:
then serve them potatoes

Might as well face it, you're addicted to spuds...

Didn’t wanna like it, but ya got me crackin up Brewha!!!
BuckyB93 Offline
#37 Posted:
Joined: 07-16-2004
Posts: 8,400
frankj1 wrote:
that's because it's run by a bunch of Hoods.


Sneaky
tonygraz Offline
#38 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 13,003
Interesting tidbit the other day. My uncle's (by marriage) brother was involved in a long time legal action by a dairy company. I'm pretty sure he dead or 118 years old
frankj1 Offline
#39 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
BuckyB93 wrote:
Sneaky

you're welcome
tonygraz Offline
#40 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 13,003
That was a good one Frank.
frankj1 Offline
#41 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 33,694
credit to the late great Frank's dad
Users browsing this topic
Guest