America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 2 weeks ago by Palama. 74 replies replies.
Poll Question : Best band out of England 60's/70's. (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
The Beatles 3 13 %
Led Zeppelin 13 56 %
The Rolling Stones 7 30 %
Total 23 100%

2 Pages12>
Opinion poll
MACS Offline
#1 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,501
So... I have said this before a number of times, and I would just like to see what other opinions are out there on the matter.

I am not a Beatles fan. I have never understood the fascination with this band. Sure, they had a few good songs, and they were a talented group... but they weren't even the best group out of England at that time (60's/70's).

Part for part... Led Zeppelin blows them away. Better singer, better guitarist, bassist, drummer... and the same goes for The Rolling Stones. Just 2 bands that were much, MUCH (in my opinion) better than the Beatles.

What say you?
HockeyDad Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 09-20-2000
Posts: 44,265
Elton John. (He didn’t even need a band, just a piano)
RMAN4443 Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 09-29-2016
Posts: 7,683
I voted for Zeppelin in the poll, but I'm also a big fan of Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath fog
Sunoverbeach Offline
#4 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 13,253
I do like the Beatles, in particular the musical progression from the early albums to later. Out of the the three provided I'm taking LZ easily

I would have suggested the Who included, and now that Rman brought up Sabbath... not sure which I'd pick at this point
MACS Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,501
Sure, sure... I was just picking the 3 most popular out of England, especially at that particular time, but probably still to this day.

I also like Pink Floyd, Sabbath and the Who. But I think we can all agree that the ones listed are likely the 3 most popular.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 13,253
Yeah, I'd like to argue, but sales figures prohibit.

So stick with Zep as an answer
Footnote Sabbath as still sending shivers down my spine
Footnote 2.0 for my favorite live album of all time
RMAN4443 Offline
#7 Posted:
Joined: 09-29-2016
Posts: 7,683
I had the poster from the Paranoid album on my Geometry book in tenth grade.

Also had the posters from the Wish You Were Here album on my

Biology and Western Civilization books the same year fog

But I gotta agree, to the world at large(and myself), Zeppelin was in a class of their own ...
Gene363 Offline
#8 Posted:
Joined: 01-24-2003
Posts: 28,795
The Rolling Stones

Save your arguments, facts or figures.
Mr. Jones Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 06-12-2005
Posts: 17,421
R.S. +1
Palama Offline
#10 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 20,276
I voted for the Stones since they maintained a semblance of greatness throughout the '60s and '70s. Like many groups in the early days of the English Invasion, they were more of a singles band but after the death of Brian Jones and bringing in Mick Taylor, they transformed into an AOR group. Jagger and Richards had matured into a great songwriting team so even when Taylor left and replaced by Ron Wood, the Stones still put out good to great music. I don't feel the other groups in the poll matched the two decades that the Stones amassed.

With that being said, the Beatles were THE best band of the '60s but they formally broke up in 1970 so other than "Let It Be", there was no new music from the group. Led Zeppelin came out in the late '60s so their production in that decade was scant. Only 1 album released in 1969 so you can't say they were great in that decade. Plus, and this is just my opinion, but LZ burned bright from '69 to '75 and then lost much of their luster after that. For me, their music after "Physical Graffiti" was just okay, at least when compared to their recordings prior.

The Stones also had a huge edge when it came to live performances too. Never saw The Beatles live and all their '60s concerts were limited to well under an hour and in front of thousands of screaming girls so I wouldn't say they were a great live performance band. However, when I saw the Stones in January 1973, they put on a franking GREAT show and were arguably at their musical peak. Taylor was spot on with his solos, Wyman and Watts so solid as the rhythm section and of course, Mick was prancin' and dancin'. Keith was relatively coherent and energetic too.

Contrast that show with seeing LZ in 1970. Plant was basically yelling so loud into the microphone that it was making my ears hurt and Page was looking and playing like he was drugged out. I believe he was in his Speed (...the drug...) days / daze so he was franking skinny as a stick. At times it looked like he was gonna fall forward because his Les Paul was too heavy for him. I did not come away thinking it was one of the all-time concerts I had ever gone to. Years later when "The Song Remains the Same" came out, it was apparent that Page could never really replicate his guitar parts on stage because he had overdubbed so much in the studio. The movie also showed how bloated their stage shows were and 3 hours were just too much to sit through. They could have easily have condensed it down to 2 hours and people would be yelling for more.

So that's my vote and take.
Speyside2 Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 11-11-2021
Posts: 2,069
^ What he said.
Whistlebritches Offline
#12 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,828
Zeppelin hands down with the Stones in a not so distant second.The Beatles have never even been on my top 500 radar.Pink Floyd owns the #3 spot IMHO with Sabbath hot on their heels.


Oh yea.........The Who blows too
Mike3316 Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2022
Posts: 327
Growing up I was always a Beatles fan. When I was a little kid I wanted to grow up to be either Paul McCartney or Buzz Aldrin. I do like Led Zeplin but never understood the facination with the Rolling Stones. Never thought Jagger was that great a singer. Sorry.
KingoftheCove Offline
#14 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 6,872
Cream
Blind Faith
Traffic
8trackdisco Offline
#15 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,604
Easy for me. The Beatles were fun. Zep sounds like five or six other bands. The Stones are an institution.

The talent, sound, longevity, sincerity, and dedication to their music. True to themselves and while being other-worldly, seem to be regular guys.

As an individual talent though, for me it would be McCartney.
bgz Offline
#16 Posted:
Joined: 07-29-2014
Posts: 13,023
I voted Zeppelin.
Whistlebritches Offline
#17 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,828
bgz wrote:
I voted Zeppelin.



Well you do have one redeeming quality
MACS Offline
#18 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,501
Mike3316 wrote:
Growing up I was always a Beatles fan. When I was a little kid I wanted to grow up to be either Paul McCartney or Buzz Aldrin. I do like Led Zeplin but never understood the facination with the Rolling Stones. Never thought Jagger was that great a singer. Sorry.


You, sir.. are a frankin' dumbass. Can't spell Led Zeppelin correctly and can't understand the "fascination" with a band that has far and away exceeded the depth, talent and longevity of a band you claim to be a fan of?

Go frank ya-damn-self. The Beatles suck. They were wildly over-rated and this absolutley scientific poll proves it.
MACS Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,501
8trackdisco wrote:
Easy for me. The Beatles were fun. Zep sounds like five or six other bands. The Stones are an institution.

The talent, sound, longevity, sincerity, and dedication to their music. True to themselves and while being other-worldly, seem to be regular guys.

As an individual talent though, for me it would be McCartney.


I'll forgive you. Only because of his music with wings. And because anyone who doesn't like "Band on the run" is just stupid.
tonygraz Offline
#20 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 18,842
Whistlebritches wrote:
Well you do have one redeeming quality


Yes, he doesn't like you.
8trackdisco Offline
#21 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,604
(the fragile BGZ/WB/TonyGraz cease fire still in place) Barely.

Make me proud, Brothers.

High Ground Current Standings:
1st BGZ
2nd WB & Tgraz

(threadjack off)
McCartney has probably created more happiness in the world. Minus maybe your Jesus/Moses types.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#22 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 13,253
Idk, after 40yrs of desert wandering, I don't think the people were all that happy with Moses if I recall the story correctly
8trackdisco Offline
#23 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,604
Sunoverbeach wrote:
Idk, after 40yrs of desert wandering, I don't think the people were all that happy with Moses if I recall the story correctly


You might be right about that. It is the generations after who appreciated the 40 years in the sandbox.
It has been rumored that was the genesis of TripAdvisor.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#24 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 13,253
Tour guide seemed lost. Food service was very repetitive. Laundry and housekeeping nowhere to be seen.
2 out of 10 - would not recommend
Gene363 Offline
#25 Posted:
Joined: 01-24-2003
Posts: 28,795
ram27bat

I'm smelling voter fraud, about 14 posters but there are 18 votes.
RayR Online
#26 Posted:
Joined: 07-20-2020
Posts: 6,467
I mailed in my vote 4 times. Shhh
Whistlebritches Offline
#27 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,828
tonygraz wrote:
Yes, he doesn't like you.



Tony you had one redeeming quality as well,in your prime dudes would drop a quarter in that slot behind your ear................your teeth folded back and your lips started quivering.Sadly old age caught up with you and your lips just wouldn't quiver anymore.As the familial tremors snuck up on you you switched to hand jobs............gotta be a tough living Tony,hj's only earn you a dime.


Send me a link to your GOFUNDME page and ill pay for Ben and his buddies to line up on your corner
ZRX1200 Offline
#28 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 58,023
As much as I love Zep and they are my number 1 band of all time Palama’s post and thought out reasoning are spot on. If you take the question literally it has to be the Stones.

If you make it “Their Era” to me it’s Zep hands down.

Beatles wrote great songs and changed music.

Stones had more magic in their music than the Beatles IMO.

Zep had more mojo to me and they revolutionized things way more than the Stones with recording. My .02
bgz Offline
#29 Posted:
Joined: 07-29-2014
Posts: 13,023
I never got the Stones... I mean, some of their songs are alright...

But I feel the Stones are like what Nickel Back would have been if there was no internet to sh*t on em.

I might just be too young to have appreciated their apparent greatness though... I can tell you for genx and younger, Zep takes it... but I agree the argument is valid for the Beatles.
Palama Offline
#30 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 20,276
MACS wrote:
I'll forgive you. Only because of his music with wings. And because anyone who doesn't like "Band on the run" is just stupid.


For me, BOTR is the epitome of Paul’s solo career. I actually bought two copies of the half-speed mastered vinyl back-in-the-day. Played one, once, when I taped the whole album onto cassette tape. BOTR would be the last PM album I would buy.

With that being said, George Harrison’s “All Things Must Pass” is still THE best solo album released by the post-breakup members.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#31 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 13,253
No Plastic Ono Band consideration?
Gene363 Offline
#32 Posted:
Joined: 01-24-2003
Posts: 28,795
Sunoverbeach wrote:
No Plastic Ono Band consideration?


BARF! BARF! BARF! BARF! BARF! BARF!
Whistlebritches Offline
#33 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,828
Sunoverbeach wrote:
No Plastic Ono Band consideration?



You mean "Oh No"............. never crossed anyone's mind except yours.Now I have concerns about you
plinytheelder Offline
#34 Posted:
Joined: 10-24-2006
Posts: 8,792
The Stones could be considered in era's before or after Zeppelin, but when the mighty Zep was active, there was NO other band that could touch them IMO.

I never understood the Beatles. I have a friend, best friend actually, that is a diehard fan of them to this day.
When I saw Get Back on Disney+ my opinion of them changed. If you haven't seen it, watch it if you have access.
To write an album, under pressure, like they did was interesting to see.
And to see how Billy Preston joined them on the album? WOW.
Palama Offline
#35 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 20,276
ZRX1200 wrote:
As much as I love Zep and they are my number 1 band of all time Palama’s post and thought out reasoning are spot on. If you take the question literally it has to be the Stones.

If you make it “Their Era” to me it’s Zep hands down.

Beatles wrote great songs and changed music.

Stones had more magic in their music than the Beatles IMO.

Zep had more mojo to me and they revolutionized things way more than the Stones with recording. My .02


I’ll have to disagree and say that, given your statement that the Beatles changed music, how could they not be the best / greatest? In “their era”, the Lads from Liverpool didn’t just change music, they changed a whole generation. I was a little too young when they first came out in the States to fully understand their impact but certainly saw the changes they influenced. Whether it was music, fashion, pop culture, or people’s attitudes, they were game changers. You can’t say that about any other musical group / artist since them

However, I will wholeheartedly agree that at their peak, LZ was HUUUUGGGGGEEEE and outshone the best that the Stones could offer. LZ did things in the studio that the Stones never did or attempted (…but I don’t think that was ever the MO of Jagger and Richards…). And when LZ was hot, their albums sold like hot cakes and on tour, they sold out multiple night shows at large venues but they were never the same after Bonham died. Page’s wizardry in the studio was awesome but it wasn’t necessarily game changing. Overdubs were already being used (…thank you Les Paul…), Jimmy just did it better than anyone at that time.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#36 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 13,253
Whistlebritches wrote:
You mean "Oh No"............. never crossed anyone's mind except yours.Now I have concerns about you

If it helps, it always crosses my mind, but only because of Denis Leary

We live in a country where John Lennon takes six bullets to the chest. Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one f**king bullet! Explain that to me! Explain it to me, God!.....Now we've got 25 more years of, " ahyayayayayahhhh!" Yeah, I'm real f**king happy now, God!
- DL
8trackdisco Offline
#37 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,604
Whistlebritches wrote:
Tony you had one redeeming quality as well,in your prime dudes would drop a quarter in that slot behind your ear................your teeth folded back and your lips started quivering.Sadly old age caught up with you and your lips just wouldn't quiver anymore.As the familial tremors snuck up on you you switched to hand jobs............gotta be a tough living Tony,hj's only earn you a dime.


Send me a link to your GOFUNDME page and ill pay for Ben and his buddies to line up on your corner


Standings reset…. 1: BGZ. 2: Tgraz. 3:WB (sigh).
Whistlebritches Offline
#38 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,828
8trackdisco wrote:
Standings reset…. 1: BGZ. 2: Tgraz. 3:WB (sigh).



Tactical nukes are ok ............I read it in the rules.Scorched earth is a no go.Looks like I'm gonna have to rewrite the ROE and clear this up
ZRX1200 Offline
#39 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 58,023
See Palama J think that wasn’t all them, I think that was also part marketing and mostly society being hungry for something else. And they were it. I think of the Beatles like I do Elvis. I really like a lot of his work too, but there’s a lot of fluff and cashing in. I don’t point that at the artists I point that at the whole of what surrounds them.

With Zep it was just the music and I’m a big blues fan as well.
DrMaddVibe Offline
#40 Posted:
Joined: 10-21-2000
Posts: 52,916
All 3.
bgz Offline
#41 Posted:
Joined: 07-29-2014
Posts: 13,023
Whistlebritches wrote:
Tactical nukes are ok ............I read it in the rules.Scorched earth is a no go.Looks like I'm gonna have to rewrite the ROE and clear this up


It's ok, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf...

See the boards through a new light.

And see PEOPLE for that which they are...

I'm really trying to be a better person here.
8trackdisco Offline
#42 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,604
bgz wrote:
It's ok, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf...

See the boards through a new light.

And see PEOPLE for that which they are...

I'm really trying to be a better person here.


That is what I’ve been trying to do myself.
Whistlebritches Offline
#43 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,828
bgz wrote:
It's ok, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf...
.



Me too but the devils lettuce is hard to find here
8trackdisco Offline
#44 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,604
Whistlebritches wrote:
Tactical nukes are ok ............I read it in the rules.Scorched earth is a no go.Looks like I'm gonna have to rewrite the ROE and clear this up


I am far from the Morality Police. Am qualified better for leading Immoral Police. Plus, I’m not the boss of anybody. Part of the time you’ll see I’m not in control of myself.

You (BGZ & TGraz) we’re generally hammering the snot out of each other. Mainly it was you and TGraz selling the product of the other being the lowest form of life. BGZ also played nasty.

My request for a reset was to start the show with everyone starting at the same place. Watch and listen without any known bias on my part to see how you carry yourselves from a new starting point.

Don’t know or care to understand the history. Just want to see for myself who rises to the top and who sinks deepest to the bottom.

And everyone can suggest I just frank off.

Semi retired people need to engage in hobbies. I’ve chosen to pick this one up.
Palama Offline
#45 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 20,276
ZRX1200 wrote:
See Palama J think that wasn’t all them, I think that was also part marketing and mostly society being hungry for something else. And they were it. I think of the Beatles like I do Elvis. I really like a lot of his work too, but there’s a lot of fluff and cashing in. I don’t point that at the artists I point that at the whole of what surrounds them.

With Zep it was just the music and I’m a big blues fan as well.


I partially agree. The Beatles were certainly in the right place at the right time but their unique blend of skiffle, rock ‘n roll and to a small degree jazz, gave them an edge over all the other groups of that time. While I don’t see the marketing aspect of your statement, I agree that society (…or more specifically the burgeoning Baby Boomers…) was ready for something new, something different, something opposite of the old guard. If luck is when preparation meets opportunity, then the Beatles were certainly ready with all the years of playing in small dingy, sweaty clubs and their years in Hamburg.

The Beatles were truly talented and their music has far outlasted their competition. So while we may never truly agree on all points, I think we can both acknowledge that the Beatles were the most influential musical artist of our time. Agree?
Whistlebritches Offline
#46 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,828
8trackdisco wrote:
I am far from the Morality Police. Am qualified better for leading Immoral Police. Plus, I’m not the boss of anybody. Part of the time you’ll see I’m not in control of myself.

You (BGZ & TGraz) we’re generally hammering the snot out of each other. Mainly it was you and TGraz selling the product of the other being the lowest form of life. BGZ also played nasty.

My request for a reset was to start the show with everyone starting at the same place. Watch and listen without any known bias on my part to see how you carry yourselves from a new starting point.

Don’t know or care to understand the history. Just want to see for myself who rises to the top and who sinks deepest to the bottom.

And everyone can suggest I just frank off.

Semi retired people need to engage in hobbies. I’ve chosen to pick this one up.



Ben is a decent dude who I like to trigger occasionallyMost of the time this leads to laughs on both ends

Tony on the other hand is a bitter and petty little man who has attacked me since an incident on the vherf 2 years ago.It was just myself,Opie and Tony.My comment was democrats would never let racism go...its their hole card.Since then I am a hater,a racist and any other dispicable tag he can throw at me.I happen to know that most here are jokesters just like me and we joust In jist and have for years.Tony missed the message about jousting in fun.Tony just needs some of his own medicine occasionally and will receive it until he learns how not to poke the bear.
tailgater Offline
#47 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 26,070
HockeyDad wrote:
Elton John. (He didn’t even need a band, just a piano)


True.
He was good on the piano.

But he sucked on the organ.

tailgater Offline
#48 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 26,070
D. The Who

My only regret in life is not seeing them prior to Keith Moon trashing that holiday inn in the sky.
Course, I was only 11 when he kicked it.

Mike3316 Offline
#49 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2022
Posts: 327
Reallly MACS? I'm a dumbass because I don't agree with you about liking the Rolling Stones??? Grow the f*ck up. Oh .... and I'll be sure to point out the next time YOU make a typo. Jerk.
8trackdisco Offline
#50 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,604
Whistlebritches wrote:

Tony on the other hand is a bitter and petty little man who has attacked me since an incident on the vherf 2 years ago.It was just myself,Opie and Tony.My comment was democrats would never let racism go...its their hole card.Since then I am a hater,a racist and any other dispicable tag he can throw at me.I happen to know that most here are jokesters just like me and we joust In jist and have for years.Tony missed the message about jousting in fun.Tony just needs some of his own medicine occasionally and will receive it until he learns how not to poke the bear.


Let’s say what you are saying about TGraz is 100% true- for the sake of our exchange. We both well know there are three sides to every story. And if Opie was there, there are four sides to the story.

Tony could very easily make a post next explaining his version of the event and characterize you and everything about you which would be equally unfavorable about you. Where does that get us?

I couldn’t provide any specific examples (which I admit would be helpful) but I do know I’ve crossed swords with you, Tony, Opie and about five hundred other people here- 55,000+ posts over 17+ years and unmeasurable barrels of alcohol in the rear view mirror, I couldn’t tell you for sure). I couldn’t tell you what 98.2% of them were about. My most recent one that is in the 1.2% is a series of moderately brutal exchanges of bombs with Opie.

Opie was 100% wrong and I was 100% right. At least in the heat of the moment\day and for at least two weeks after the latest of the exchanges of shots.

After those two weeks (maybe I was still locked on and ready to blow him up some more for another week or two) I decided to take a step back and see if I could pull anything positive about the exchanges.

Next, I poured myself a cup of Humilty, went into Introspective Mode to see what points he had (and he did) on how I might do things differently. Both going forward and if I could go back, what would I do differently. I apologized to him on a vherf for some of the extra-crispy flamethrower shots I delivered and said i would work to be better. He was kind, accepted the apology and admitted he wasn’t an angel either. We’ve seen each other on a couple of e herfs since then and have been cordial with each other. You could almost say Friendly. I no longer hold Ill,will toward him. Hope he feels similarly.

You are a Texan and I think a Christian. Foregiveness and being more Christlike is what we should aspire to. I fail more often than I am successful, but I keep trying.

I’d like you to try not only with Tony, but with everyone.

For the people here where there is a mutual understanding and respect, do poke and joust. That is much of the fun here.

For those other people, why feed into the bitterness? Why keep fighting the old war?

Since I’ve asked for a reset, BGZ has showed the more restraint, patience and kindness than you and Tony. Tony has actually been kinder than you (which has surprised me, but maybe that was my bias coming in because I have fought with him MUCH more often than you and I have ever tangled).

Not sure about this (somebody here let me know if I’m wrong about this). Think Tony is Jewsish.
By my score card, the Jewish guy is being more Christian than the Texan Christian.

I like you a lot, Ron. Prayed for you almost every night when your life was in the balance, you couldn’t get the care you needed when you wanted because Covid was franking up your appointments. I would say every night, but am sure I forgot some nights. Maybe I need to start again and hope your heart softens and you can let the bitterness go.

There’s 15 minutes of one finger typing I won’t get back in my life. If it makes things better, every peck is worth it.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>