America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 2 months ago by delta1. 900 replies replies.
18 Pages123456789>»
MACS to Florida Journey Journal
8trackdisco Offline
#1 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,594
Saw rfenst's advice on renting an apartment for six month in FL. It was the Spring & Flings 500. Btw, my wife who is in the mortgage industry had similar advice- get to Florida, rent a nice condo for a year and take the pressure off of yourself.

Think this might be a nice thread MACS can look back on in a couple years when he actually moves into his Florida house. Of course this thread with be a nice place for him to voice his joys of the process and any setbacks and reactions to them.

And everyone here is invited to encourage, laugh, provide strength and mockery for my favorite asssshat.


Gene363 Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 01-24-2003
Posts: 28,772
A great idea, however, unless Mac gets enough cash from his CA home, mortgage rates are climbing.

Alternate proposal: Mac knows he wants a boat, so buy one big enough to live on, there are plenty of navigable canals, bays, etc.
BuckyB93 Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 07-16-2004
Posts: 12,819
If you are committed to making a change, get the F out of CA.
Sell high, buy low. Real estate prices are pretty bloated now and in a bubble (just my opinion)
Sell now, and rent a nice place where you think is reasonable and comfortable knowing it might be only for the short term.
This gives you a chance to let things settle out and allows you search around without pressure of committing to anything.

As I understand from a previous post, real estate agents in other states cant even talk to you due to some stupid CA law. Once you are out of CA, then you are unburdened from that BS and you can shop around at your leisure.

Wild card is interest rates. They are going to go up, the Fed has already said so and have provided a straw man plan but how much and how fast is not set in stone.

Not financial advice, just my unprofessional opinion.
ZRX1200 Offline
#4 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 57,997
I thinks it’s a GREAT opportunity for Ram Rod to drop glitter bombs on unsuspecting BOTL from random states.
MACS Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,478
Oooof. I really didn't need the added pressure.
Stogie1020 Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 12-19-2019
Posts: 3,713
For financial reasons, he may end up in Palm Springs...


https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-city-universal-income-transgender-residents
Whistlebritches Offline
#7 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,819
I can only encourage him to leave Cali...............the journey must be Texas to get me onboard
rfenst Offline
#8 Posted:
Joined: 06-23-2007
Posts: 37,174
Bring it on MACS!

If you fly in to Orlando, I am willing to transport you from the airport to J'ville, (or anywhere in between as long as we herf the whole way. LMK anytime.
JadeRose Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 05-15-2008
Posts: 19,481
Just what the world needs....another "Florida Man"
Gene363 Offline
#10 Posted:
Joined: 01-24-2003
Posts: 28,772
JadeRose wrote:
Just what the world needs....another "Florida Man"


LOL


Mac will surely be an improvement, with apologies to BOTL residing in Florida, against overwhelming odds.

Conversly, Komifornia going to take big hit.
madspackler Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 03-07-2000
Posts: 3,593
MACS - I left NYC 17 years ago and have not regretted it for one minute. The only question the Mrs. and I ask ourselves is why we did not leave earlier. Yes I took a large pay cut but you can do well on less when you are not paying an extra 40% in taxes. Property taxes are much lower as well.

Sell now while prices are high and sit on the cash. If you are not certain of a destination, rent for a year. You will be astonished at how the rest of this Country lives. Anywhere along the Gulf Coast would be a huge improvement over CA. TX, LA, MS, AL FL would all welcome you. Easy access to the Gulf. Tons of fishing. Nicer beaches with flour white sand. What is not to like?

You will live longer due to the lack of stress, excessive taxes, Lefty laws and stupid fuel pricing.
deadeyedick Offline
#12 Posted:
Joined: 03-13-2003
Posts: 15,033
Just make sure you buy a pair of white patent leather shoes and matching belt to go with the knee high socks. It's required in Florida I think. Think
rfenst Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 06-23-2007
Posts: 37,174
deadeyedick wrote:
Just make sure you buy a pair of white patent leather shoes and matching belt to go with the knee high socks. It's required in Florida I think. Think

Seems like you have personal experience.( Just sayin')
deadeyedick Offline
#14 Posted:
Joined: 03-13-2003
Posts: 15,033
rfenst wrote:
Seems like you have personal experience.( Just sayin')


Yes, I spent some time in Coral Gables. "It's not personal, it's strictly business". Laugh
rfenst Offline
#15 Posted:
Joined: 06-23-2007
Posts: 37,174
deadeyedick wrote:
Yes, I spent some time in Coral Gables. "It's not personal, it's strictly business". Laugh

How about Little Havana and Boca Raton?
HockeyDad Offline
#16 Posted:
Joined: 09-20-2000
Posts: 44,242
MACS should get the Covid-19 vaccination. It is safe and affective. (Just wait until he reads this in two years!)
MACS Offline
#17 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,478
HockeyDad wrote:
MACS should get the Covid-19 vaccination. It is safe and affective. (Just wait until he reads this in two years!)


You did that on purpose... rascal.
8trackdisco Offline
#18 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,594
Okay, Shawny-MACS, what did you do in the last 48 hours to further the mission?
MACS Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,478
8trackdisco wrote:
Okay, Shawny-MACS, what did you do in the last 48 hours to further the mission?


Spoke with the builder in Jax.

Yep... it's a bit rural (for now), yep... we're building the house based on the materials we have on hand, and not what you want (bruh... we got what we got), and yep... we're selling to the highest bidder, but it's based on when we release the house for sale and who has interest. The price does NOT go up after we've made a deal.

Still not sure.

I also learned my house is worth a lot more than I thought. Right now.

Also learned that rich fucktards are paying cash and charging higher rent. Know why? Cuz they can.

Out-spending dudes like me just tryna get a new pad in a new place.
MACS Offline
#20 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,478
THINKING - sell now, at the peak.

Wait for the inevitable crash. Then buy.

Also thinking - what if the crash doesn't materialize? What if interest rates go stupid?

Now what? Double wide and ta hell with it?
Whistlebritches Offline
#21 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,819
MACS wrote:
THINKING - sell now, at the peak.

Wait for the inevitable crash. Then buy.

Also thinking - what if the crash doesn't materialize? What if interest rates go stupid?

Now what? Double wide and ta hell with it?



Oh so now you're thinking Arkansas..............I just can't catch a break here
MACS Offline
#22 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,478
Whistlebritches wrote:
Oh so now you're thinking Arkansas..............I just can't catch a break here


Fuuuuck you, Ram Ron.
Whistlebritches Offline
#23 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,819
MACS wrote:
Fuuuuck you, Ram Ron.



LOL LOL
8trackdisco Offline
#24 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,594
MACS wrote:
THINKING - sell now, at the peak.

Wait for the inevitable crash. Then buy.

Also thinking - what if the crash doesn't materialize? What if interest rates go stupid?

Now what? Double wide and ta hell with it?


Assuming California pulls its head out of its ashe, the number of sellers could slow. More likely, CA will continue to circle the drain, get worse and when the bubble pops, the biggest drop in values will be ...... in what state do you think. Anxious

The extra 50k you can sell your home for now can put you in an awfully nice, $2k a month condo in Jax. ... and have some extra money for bourbon.

Is your heart set on new construction?

This just in from my wife from work.... 30 year fixed rate mortgage went to 5.05% today. That is the base rate. People with iffy credit will pay significantly more. Rates will continue to go up for the foreseeable future. People are still panic buying.

The shpo boss put his house up for 499k or best offer. Within one day, 8 offers made. The best off was 540k.

If you want to talk with her, she'd be willing to hear you out, answer questions and generally get you well centered. Well, she's not a miracle worker but.. you know.
rfenst Offline
#25 Posted:
Joined: 06-23-2007
Posts: 37,174
8trackdisco wrote:
Assuming California pulls its head out of its ashe, the number of sellers could slow. More likely, CA will continue to circle the drain, get worse and when the bubble pops, the biggest drop in values will be ...... in what state do you think. Anxious

The extra 50k you can sell your home for now can put you in an awfully nice, $2k a month condo in Jax. ... and have some extra money for bourbon.

Is your heart set on new construction?

This just in from my wife from work.... 30 year fixed rate mortgage went to 5.05% today. That is the base rate. People with iffy credit will pay significantly more. Rates will continue to go up for the foreseeable future. People are still panic buying.

The shpo boss put his house up for 499k or best offer. Within one day, 8 offers made. The best off was 540k.

If you want to talk with her, she'd be willing to hear you out, answer questions and generally get you well centered. Well, she's not a miracle worker but.. you know.

I agree with 8-track 100% on this one after thinking about it from his wife's angle. It would also be the best way to transition and give yourself real time, with no rush, to decide where and what to buy, and how much homes in the areas you truly like sell for. If you don't talk to 8-track's wife, maybe you should talk to a mortgage broker to see what YOUR rates are like right now. YMMV. If you want to generally consult with a Florida licensed mortgage broker, I can set you up with the right person to answer any questions you may have.
DrMaddVibe Offline
#26 Posted:
Joined: 10-21-2000
Posts: 52,896
MACS wrote:
Spoke with the builder in Jax.

Yep... it's a bit rural (for now), yep... we're building the house based on the materials we have on hand, and not what you want (bruh... we got what we got), and yep... we're selling to the highest bidder, but it's based on when we release the house for sale and who has interest. The price does NOT go up after we've made a deal.

Still not sure.

I also learned my house is worth a lot more than I thought. Right now.

Also learned that rich fucktards are paying cash and charging higher rent. Know why? Cuz they can.

Out-spending dudes like me just tryna get a new pad in a new place.


Hope you get out sooner the better.

Before you really settle in on JAX...have you looked at it on a map? You can drive more than an hour and still be in JAX...just sayin'...traffic is suck due to roads not widening with population growth.

I've even told you to rent before as well...its a smart plan. You can really figure out where it is you want. Your heart right now says JAX, but your head might say St. Augustine once you've been there.

Looking forward to another like minded person moving to the great free state of Florida. Personally, I'm with the West Coasties on this move. More bang for the dollar and less congested.
MACS Offline
#27 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,478
Been to St Augustine. It's nice.
Gene363 Offline
#28 Posted:
Joined: 01-24-2003
Posts: 28,772
Not sure how it works in Florida, but I always check flood zones before looking at homes. I'm not sure there is somethnig similar for hurrican paths, they tend to be fairly randome, but I can say we have had more tha one neighboor that moved here from Florida to avoid hurricanes.
frankj1 Online
#29 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 42,718
pre-approved mortgage in play before shopping?
BuckyB93 Offline
#30 Posted:
Joined: 07-16-2004
Posts: 12,819
Was wondering the same. Can you lock in on an interest rate now and how long can you sit on it?
DrMaddVibe Offline
#31 Posted:
Joined: 10-21-2000
Posts: 52,896
Also...check the CDD and Homeowners fees.

You'd be surprised how much some neighborhoods charge for those well manicured landscapes/ water fountains/ parks.
rfenst Offline
#32 Posted:
Joined: 06-23-2007
Posts: 37,174
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Hope you get out sooner the better.

Before you really settle in on JAX...have you looked at it on a map? You can drive more than an hour and still be in JAX...just sayin'...traffic is suck due to roads not widening with population growth.

I've even told you to rent before as well...its a smart plan. You can really figure out where it is you want. Your heart right now says JAX, but your head might say St. Augustine once you've been there.

Looking forward to another like minded person moving to the great free state of Florida. Personally, I'm with the West Coasties on this move. More bang for the dollar and less congested.

What are you trying to say?
You and I are not like-minded?
LOL!!!







Sarcasm
rfenst Offline
#33 Posted:
Joined: 06-23-2007
Posts: 37,174
Gene363 wrote:
Not sure how it works in Florida, but I always check flood zones before looking at homes. I'm not sure there is something similar for hurricane paths, they tend to be fairly randome, but I can say we have had more tha one neighbor that moved here from Florida to avoid hurricanes.

We don't have real hurricane path issues unless you live on or near the beach. What we do need to have is flood insurance in case a hurricane causes "rising water."
rfenst Offline
#34 Posted:
Joined: 06-23-2007
Posts: 37,174
MACS wrote:
Been to St Augustine. It's nice.

Gets cold up there in the winter, which may frank with your fishing activities, but what do I know?
frankj1 Online
#35 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 42,718
BuckyB93 wrote:
Was wondering the same. Can you lock in on an interest rate now and how long can you sit on it?

wonder if ya have to get rid of current residence before getting approved for enough to cover...unless having affordability for two mortgages.
Or might the lender make an assumption that there will be a sizable down payment after the sale of house #1?
DrMaddVibe Offline
#36 Posted:
Joined: 10-21-2000
Posts: 52,896
rfenst wrote:
Gets cold up there in the winter, which may frank with your fishing activities, but what do I know?



JAX is further north!


LOL!!!
8trackdisco Offline
#37 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,594
Somebody said the fishing is better on the gulf-side.
He wants to be in a city with a navy base.
Doesn't Pensacola fit that?

Plus, his political leanings would fit well in the panhandle.
HockeyDad Offline
#38 Posted:
Joined: 09-20-2000
Posts: 44,242
8trackdisco wrote:
Assuming California pulls its head out of its ashe, the number of sellers could slow. More likely, CA will continue to circle the drain, get worse and when the bubble pops, the biggest drop in values will be ...... in what state do you think. Anxious


Not California.

The California real estate market has been under built for decades. People have also been leaving California for decades for more affordable states but they have been easily replaced except during Covid and international travel bans.

During the housing crash Central Valley cities took a hit. Sacramento, Fresno, Stockton, Bakersfield and other crap holes saw big drops as people who fled the Bay Area and LA for cheaper housing got blasted. Bay Area housing basically went flat for two years and then resumed appreciating. Places like Florida and Las Vegas that were heavily overbuilt got slaughtered.

We have passed laws eliminating single family detached home zoning in some cities. Statewide any single family zoned home can be subdivided into a duplex. If near a rapid transit stop all local zoning is eliminated in favor of high density housing. All the BART stations are now being surrounded by five story apartments and condos. We are knocking down malls to build high density housing. There is a statewide mandate that assigned every city a quota of how many dwellings must be built. My city is currently knocking down a shopping center and grocery store for one high density project and an office park for another.

It’s a different world out here.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#39 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 13,221
How will the high density dwellers eat with no grocery store?
HockeyDad Offline
#40 Posted:
Joined: 09-20-2000
Posts: 44,242
Types of people that leave California:

1. People whose incomes have not kept up with the price of housing and they’ve come to the realization that they can never buy a home here. We call these the “middle class”.

2. People who own a home and have decent equity. They can sell, retire, and move and buy a new house for cash and drive up the local housing market at their destination. With their newfound spare time they can then run for HOAs, city commission, and county commission and begin to enact change to make the new destination just like California.

3. People who are fine with living in tiny houses and selling tie dye t-shirts and smoke pot all day. These people go to Oregon, Washington, and Colorado.
HockeyDad Offline
#41 Posted:
Joined: 09-20-2000
Posts: 44,242
Sunoverbeach wrote:
How will the high density dwellers eat with no grocery store?


There was significant local pushback to no avail and the removal of the grocery store was a big part of it. We have various grocery delivery services. We even have robots that will also deliver groceries. A company called Starship.
frankj1 Online
#42 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 42,718
just making Massachusetts sound so much better.
Whistlebritches Offline
#43 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 21,819
8trackdisco wrote:
Somebody said the fishing is better on the gulf-side.
He wants to be in a city with a navy base.
Doesn't Pensacola fit that?

Plus, his political leanings would fit well in the panhandle.


If a Navy Base is a must I'm with you on the Gulf Side........... But Pensacola blows,Panama City would be my destination.Great beach,fishing,diving....................
frankj1 Online
#44 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 42,718
Whistlebritches wrote:
If a Navy Base is a must I'm with you on the Gulf Side........... But Pensacola blows,Panama City would be my destination.Great beach,fishing,diving....................

he already left Rhode Island, had those AND great restaurants!
Sunoverbeach Offline
#45 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 13,221
HockeyDad wrote:
There was significant local pushback to no avail and the removal of the grocery store was a big part of it. We have various grocery delivery services. We even have robots that will also deliver groceries. A company called Starship.

Is that the same company that used to build cities?
8trackdisco Offline
#46 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,594
HockeyDad wrote:
A company called Starship.


So They Built This City.

Edit: Sun beat me to it.
8trackdisco Offline
#47 Posted:
Joined: 11-06-2004
Posts: 57,594
Whistlebritches wrote:
If a Navy Base is a must I'm with you on the Gulf Side........... But Pensacola blows,Panama City would be my destination.Great beach,fishing,diving....................


Had a friend who went to Pens Beach a couple times and truly enjoyed it
What makes Pensacola a chithole?
dkeage Offline
#48 Posted:
Joined: 03-05-2004
Posts: 14,551
8trackdisco wrote:
Had a friend who went to Pens Beach a couple times and truly enjoyed it
What makes Pensacola a chithole?



All the seaman?
MACS Offline
#49 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,478
frankj1 wrote:
pre-approved mortgage in play before shopping?


My credit score was a perfect 850, dropped to 847 for some reason. Navy Federal Credit Union will loan me whatever the hell I want, within reason.

Also... with the ability to either pay cash (which I don't want to do) or make a very sizable deposit, I can likely get a lower interest rate.
MACS Offline
#50 Posted:
Joined: 02-26-2004
Posts: 76,478
Navy base is not a must have... just a nice to have. Near P-cola woudn't be bad, I don't think. *shrug*
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
18 Pages123456789>»