America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 4 weeks ago by 24132413. 45 replies replies.
Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra
KingoftheCove Offline
#1 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,134
Looks tasty. The Expresso is a Rothschild, which is one of my favorite vitolas.
I’ve never tried this HdM line.
Any opinions or experiences?
Thx
ZRX1200 Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 48,742
Pretty good, mild +
ZRX1200 Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 48,742
I can pick a couple up locally to send to you if you want to sample before buying
KingoftheCove Offline
#4 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,134
ZRX1200 wrote:
Pretty good, mild +

Mild+ ??
The other place, as well as other places, list them as Full strength?

No worries on getting me a few Z...........not much into mild cigars.
Think I might pass on these for now...........just continually on the hunt for a good sub $3 cigar.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 938
Hard for me to judge strength since I like to be left senseless and drooling after a smoke, but I recall liking these. It didn't bore me
moonman Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 11-21-2004
Posts: 3,971
I have a 5 pack on the way. I'll report back this weekend. Herfing
mjrburn Offline
#7 Posted:
Joined: 02-28-2016
Posts: 493
Any of you fellas familiar with the Caldwell Blind Man's Bluff habano?...a good buy at $3 per robusto?
delta1 Offline
#8 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 16,383
great cigar for that price. PM me the details, please. I may have to go off buying hiatus...dammit...
mjrburn Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 02-28-2016
Posts: 493
^ pm sent Herfing
KingoftheCove Offline
#10 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,134
^^. Noob comes in and starts burning holes in people’s wallets...
mjrburn Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 02-28-2016
Posts: 493
It's a sickness, or an addiction... the first thing to do is admit I have a problem, right? Brick wall
Pudding Mittens Offline
#12 Posted:
Joined: 08-15-2016
Posts: 652
mjrburn wrote:
It's a sickness, or an addiction... the first thing to do is admit I have a problem, right? Brick wall

Problem? What problem? Remember, you can stop anytime you like! jester
.
mjrburn Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 02-28-2016
Posts: 493
Pudding Mittens wrote:
Problem? What problem? Remember, you can stop anytime you like! jester
.


Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself. 1 tower humidor, 9 box humidors, 1 coolerdor, 1 foot locker (for aging) and I'm shopping for another cooler now to house the stuff that'll be delivered next week... I'll stop when I get this one full... wait, just found a sale on AF Exquisitos Sun Grown, gotta have a box or two of those!!! Anxious
Pudding Mittens Offline
#14 Posted:
Joined: 08-15-2016
Posts: 652
mjrburn wrote:
Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself. 1 tower humidor, 9 box humidors, 1 coolerdor, 1 foot locker (for aging) and I'm shopping for another cooler now to house the stuff that'll be delivered next week... I'll stop when I get this one full... wait, just found a sale on AF Exquisitos Sun Grown, gotta have a box or two of those!!! Anxious

Yeah, that's how it works. It's never enough, there's always a next amazing deal you can't let slip by.
Herfing
.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#15 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 938
C.A.D. (Cigar Aquisition Disorder) is a crushing, debilitating, thoroughly enjoyable disease
mjrburn Offline
#16 Posted:
Joined: 02-28-2016
Posts: 493
Sunoverbeach wrote:
C.A.D. (Cigar Aquisition Disorder) is a crushing, debilitating, thoroughly enjoyable disease


RollEyes LOL LOL LOL
moonman Offline
#17 Posted:
Joined: 11-21-2004
Posts: 3,971
I torched my first one this afternoon in the sunshine with the temperature in the 50s. It was definitely an enjoyable experience! Herfing Beer
Sunoverbeach Offline
#18 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 938
I've got a box incoming. Couldn't resist
KingoftheCove Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,134
moonman wrote:
I torched my first one this afternoon in the sunshine with the temperature in the 50s. It was definitely an enjoyable experience! Herfing Beer

Awesome!
What vitola?
moonman Offline
#20 Posted:
Joined: 11-21-2004
Posts: 3,971
Toro
moonman Offline
#21 Posted:
Joined: 11-21-2004
Posts: 3,971
Sunoverbeach wrote:
I've got a box incoming. Couldn't resist


What vitola? If you happen to not love them I'd be down to either trade for some or $
Sunoverbeach Offline
#22 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 938
The Expresso (Rothschild) that KoC mentioned above. 4.5x50 if I recall correctly. Plenty in the box though. I'd be willing to discuss a trade
moonman Offline
#23 Posted:
Joined: 11-21-2004
Posts: 3,971
Sunoverbeach wrote:
The Expresso (Rothschild) that KoC mentioned above. 4.5x50 if I recall correctly. Plenty in the box though. I'd be willing to discuss a trade


PM sent
Sunoverbeach Offline
#24 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 938
KoC, just refreshed my memory on these (espressos) and would place them med-full IMHO. Tasty smoke even ROTT. Good deal for sub $3.
engletl Offline
#25 Posted:
Joined: 12-26-2000
Posts: 26,332
Back in the day...maybe a decade or so ago...I had these in regular rotation in my humi.

Nice medium bodied flavorful smoke from what I remember
dstieger Offline
#26 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 9,671
engletl wrote:
Back in the day...maybe a decade or so ago...I had these in regular rotation in my humi.

Nice medium bodied flavorful smoke from what I remember

+1
Just checked...back in the day for me was 2008....last time I bought them, though
frankj1 Offline
#27 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 26,335
+2
don't even remember my last one.
KingoftheCove Offline
#28 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,134
So why did all you guys stop smoking them?
Blend change?
Palate change?
Price increases?
Or?
dstieger Offline
#29 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 9,671
Lots of less boring cigars out there.

frankj1 Offline
#30 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 26,335
yeah, and I was all over the place at the time...plus rfenster was mentoring me in Cuban
cacman Offline
#31 Posted:
Joined: 07-03-2010
Posts: 11,798
Haven't had one in years but used to buy them regularly from my B&M in the city. Good smoke with nice flavor for the price at that time. Not sure how they have changed. in the 8yrs since I've had one. A couple years ago I tried to buy a box from JR. Returned 3 boxes that were littered with mold. Not plume like Customer Service suggested. Haven't bought any since. May have to revisit from a reputable retailer that won't tag me for sales tax at the end of the year.
zody Offline
#32 Posted:
Joined: 05-03-2005
Posts: 1,043
Early on HdM and Punch Rothschild's were a regular smoke, many boxes of them.
HdM Dark Sumatra was good, my tastes just moved on. Pretty one dimensional but not a bad cigar.
zody Offline
#33 Posted:
Joined: 05-03-2005
Posts: 1,043
cacman wrote:
Haven't had one in years but used to buy them regularly from my B&M in the city. Good smoke with nice flavor for the price at that time. Not sure how they have changed. in the 8yrs since I've had one. A couple years ago I tried to buy a box from JR. Returned 3 boxes that were littered with mold. Not plume like Customer Service suggested. Haven't bought any since. May have to revisit from a reputable retailer that won't tag me for sales tax at the end of the year.

Subtle protest?Sarcasm
engletl Offline
#34 Posted:
Joined: 12-26-2000
Posts: 26,332
For me it was multiple reasons to be dropped

First and foremost...azzhats around here started bidding them well past the $7 a fiver that they were worth to me back then

Secondly - I pretty much lost any liking for Sumatra tobacco
KingoftheCove Offline
#35 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,134
Starting to sound like a strong, well constructed one dimensional cigar.
May have to pass for now...
Thx gents...
moonman Offline
#36 Posted:
Joined: 11-21-2004
Posts: 3,971
There's a whole lot of chatter happening here for this cigar that y'all want to pass on. I Love it and will gladly accept if you want to pass Em all to me. I've already made room in my humi for a stash that is being traded to me by that SOB! Herfing
pacman357 Offline
#37 Posted:
Joined: 02-27-2006
Posts: 42,118
I haven't smoked one of these in a very long time. Mostly because I have tons of brands and sold quite a few of these during the brief time my wife and I owned a cigar & pipe store. However, assuming they are still as good as always, I'd say at least try a fiver. Go for a smaller ring; the wrapper on these cigars is a gem, IMHO, and the narrower ring will give you a bigger dose of it.

Back in the day, I recall a time when these seemed pretty full-bodied to me. However, that was around the time an Oliva El Cobre literally made me sick (a couple years later, I could smoke an EC in the a.m. on an empty stomach, so these would probably rate a solid medium to me today, maybe mild side of medium, going from recollection). Not a tremendously complex or high profile smoke, but I just enjoyed the taste and I could light up something else afterwards and not taste the DS all day. Usually a good deal for the $ on this site last I checked.
mjrburn Offline
#38 Posted:
Joined: 02-28-2016
Posts: 493
Hey KotC, the mothership has these on closeout, in the espresso size, 40 for $100... slightly cheaper than mb3... if you're still thinking about getting some. I just payed the same per price on cbid for a robusto 5er.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#39 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 938
Dammitall! I need some cross site, retroactive price matching
Ram27 Offline
#40 Posted:
Joined: 04-30-2005
Posts: 41,779
Picked up a box for $109.95+ free shipping. Close enough.



Think

mjrburn Offline
#41 Posted:
Joined: 02-28-2016
Posts: 493
Ram27 wrote:
Picked up a box for $109.95+ free shipping. Close enough.



Think



A damn good deal w/free shipping!

Sunoverbeach wrote:
Dammitall! I need some cross site, retroactive price matching


All it takes is 3-4 hours a day to keep up with the pricing, well worth it to save $5, right? Brick wall
KingoftheCove Offline
#42 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,134
Thanks for the heads up...
Currently have a few too many bids out to commit to those this week.
Maybe next month...................they’ll come on sale again here, or there...

Too many cigars........too little time....
Ram27 Offline
#43 Posted:
Joined: 04-30-2005
Posts: 41,779
Just received and placed in humidor, of course 1 will meet the torch very shortly. Scared

Will report back on. Anxious
Ram27 Offline
#44 Posted:
Joined: 04-30-2005
Posts: 41,779
Ram27 wrote:
Just received and placed in humidor, of course 1 will meet the torch very shortly. Scared

Will report back on. Anxious





ROTT...... as the General stated above nice medium bodied flavorful smoke. ThumpUp


ram27bat

24132413 Offline
#45 Posted:
Joined: 01-25-2017
Posts: 351

Generic + average + OK + not bad = $2 per max price!
Users browsing this topic
Guest