America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 5 days ago by frankj1. 22 replies replies.
Kentucky Fire Cured- Just an $8 dollar Parodi?
GhettoNigFabulous Offline
#1 Posted:
How’s it hanging dogs, as you know I am still working my way through that fabulous bundle of 40 delicious smokes I got, but yesterday I stopped at the beer and cigar place for something different and bought a Kentucky Fire Cured..

Now, I’ve seen a lot of hype about these smokes,, granted I’ve seen more hyped cigars come and go than most of you have even smoked,, but something about this smoke looked intriguing.. hey, maybe it will be different with the addition of the “ fire-cured” tobacco.. and it had an interesting aroma, right??

Well I light it up and what can I say, I’ve had these before. And they come in a little cardboard box with an Italian flag on it. Tastes exactly like a Parodi. And I can get 2 boxes of 3 parodis for the cost of 1 4-incher of “Kentucky Fire cured”

Look, bottom line is Parodi does the fire cured cigars better and at a way lower price. If you’re an average nig like me , and want that change of pace fire cured flavor, save your money and just stock up on those great old classic Parodis... Out
Pudding Mittens Offline
#2 Posted:
Yeah, I love how everyone thinks Drew Estate had this innovative idea. Avanti Cigar company in Dunmore PA (recently moved from Scranton PA) has been doing this since 1912. Hardly an amazing new innovation in the cigar world.

Parodi: Delicious, natural leaf wrapper, 100% American fire-cured tobacco, machine made, inexpensive, not hyped.

KFC: Delicious, natural leaf wrapper, some American fire-cured tobacco, some Nicaraguan tobacco, hand made, expensive, hyped.

Those are the main differences between the KFC and Parodi.

I toured the Avanti factory once with a group of cigar guys, with the company president leading us around and narrating. Fascinating 100+ year history. And you could smoke cigars in the whole place, not just in the factory parts, but in the office part too. Smoking a cigar in a business office, right next to the secretary at her desk. It was like stepping back into 1955 or something. Really cool.

Parodi is also known as DeNobili and Petri, same exact cigar coming off the same production line, arbitrarily put into one of three differently-branded packages. Different market areas have very longstanding loyalties to one of the three names, so they put them in three different branded packages.

The company president told us on the tour of certain geographic areas where old-timers would say, "Parodis are the way to go, DeNobilis and Petri are garbage!" and other areas where the oldsters would say, "DeNobili is the real deal, Petri is lousy and I wouldn't smoke a Parodi if you paid me!", still other areas where they'd say, "Petri is the finest, DeNobili and Parodi are pale imitations!", even though they're literally identical in every respect.

The reason? Decades ago, they USED TO BE different products from different companies, and the old-timers remember the differences, and they don't seem to care that all three are owned by the same company now and are absolutely identical. Old loyalties die hard. Amusing.

They're delicious and dirt cheap, and they don't require a humidor. Great "glove compartment" cigars to keep in the car year-round, for example.
#3 Posted:
Absolutely hope they always keep making Parodis in that same USA factory and hope they always keep the vintage packaging
frankj1 Offline
#4 Posted:
when we were kids, we used to smoke Parodi's

though likely pronounced pa-ROW-dee, we assumed they meant parody, and that's why there was a seal on the box...the Seal of Approval

arf arf
midmofan Offline
#5 Posted:
Not to be lost in this is that Pudding is actually AGREEING with GnF on a cigar topic....
frankj1 Offline
#6 Posted:
midmofan wrote:
Not to be lost in this is that Pudding is actually AGREEING with GnF on a cigar topic....

true, but he didn't call the packaging stunning or gorgeous.
tonygraz Offline
#7 Posted:
We used to call them Guinea stinkers.
frankj1 Offline
#8 Posted:
GNF will like that!
Pudding Mittens Offline
#9 Posted:
frankj1 wrote:
there was a seal on the box...the Seal of Approval

During the tour, the president of the company said it's there because when the founder of the company was setting it up in 1912 or thereabouts, his lawyer told him that one of the formalities of incorporation is that there had to be an official company seal, and being Italian and not knowing English, he was using a translator, and the translator botched it, and the old man took it literally, so the company seal IS a seal (the animal).

They kept it all these years because the story is so funny.

True story!

Pudding Mittens Offline
#10 Posted:
midmofan wrote:

Hey, they're good. If you haven't yet, try them. You may be surprised.

Rush Limbaugh once discussed them on his show, saying how great they are, despite being machine made and low-priced.

It's a very different style and taste from the conventional stuff we smoke. They're dry as a bone and hard as a rock, ugly-looking, and modestly-sized, but light one up with an open mind. Forget the low price, evaluate it neutrally without preconception. You might be surprised.

midmofan Offline
#11 Posted:
Oh yeah, have had them, like them if the mood is right (not a breakfast and coffee smoke). Just hard to believe you and GnF agreeing on where to look for the sun at noon!
Pudding Mittens Offline
#12 Posted:
midmofan wrote:
Just hard to believe you and GnF agreeing on where to look for the sun at noon!

I may disagree with a man a lot of times about a lot of things, but on the rare occasion that we agree, for that brief fleeting moment we are homies.
KingoftheCove Offline
#13 Posted:
Pudding Mittens wrote:
I may disagree with a man a lot of times about a lot of things, but on the rare occasion that we agree, for that brief fleeting moment we are homies.

Heh heh...
Well then Puddin, the more important question is:

How do you rate the CAO Brazilia?!
danmdevries Offline
#14 Posted:
Never had a guinea stinker myself, but I've heard of em.

It's been a few years since I've had a KFC, but I have fond memories. I bought a pack of the baitfish equivalent in the KFC line and I remember liking them. Not enough that I've bought again, but the thought has crossed my mind.
smokestaxx Offline
#15 Posted:
I prefer Tuscano myself
Pudding Mittens Offline
#16 Posted:
KingoftheCove wrote:
How do you rate the CAO Brazilia?!

Like most other CAO stuff. Original release was great, after that they turned "meh". Same as the America, the Sopranos, etc.

danmdevries wrote:
Never had a guinea stinker myself, but I've heard of em.

Try 'em, seriously. Like an ultra-cheap KFC that you don't have to keep humidified, with a shelf life of basically forever. Great bang-for-buck and convenience.

Quote:
the baitfish equivalent in the KFC line

Kyotos? The "mothership" had an insane deal on those in March 2018. 10-pack of Kyotos BOGO + $20 Bucks card, all for $24. I bought a schitt-load of them and still have most of them. That's 20 cents per stick net price (($24 - $20) / 20)! Same deal also had MUWAT Nightcrawler 10-packs BOGO + $20 Bucks card for $44, which is $1.20 per stick net (($44 - $20) / 20). Bought a schitt-ton of them, too, and still have most of them.

Watch "the mothership" and see if they do that sale again, maybe next month (the 1-year anniversary). If they do, obviously hop on it!

smokestaxx wrote:
I prefer Tuscano myself

Actually back in 2015 the Avanti cigar company was acquired by the company that makes Toscano cigars.

midmofan Offline
#17 Posted:
Back in the day I used to enjoy the old original Marsh-Wheeling stogies. They were a blend that included fire cured tobacco but not as prominent as KFC.

a few places near me had a fairly large supply of the old stock that lasted for quite a while. I have not tried any of the new version since they sold out, shut down the old plant and reinvented themselves several years ago.
#18 Posted:
Men of high intellect like pudding mittens and Frankj often agree with my brilliant insights into the urban cigar smoking lifestyle..

Parodis are terrific smokes. Another noteworthy old smoke from that same factory is Ramrod.. I love the bourbon flavor mustachioed cowboy on the box
tonygraz Offline
#19 Posted:
You should also try an Avanti -if they still make them.
Salmoneye Offline
#20 Posted:
GhettoNigFabulous wrote:
I love the bourbon flavor mustachioed cowboy on the box

You taste every cowboy you meet, or just the ones with facial hair?

midmofan Offline
#21 Posted:
I see that the Mothership has 5 packs of the De Nobili Lonsdale's for $7.50. Thinking of adding a pack to my next order since I do miss the old Marsh's. Like someone said above, no humi needed, great for the glovebox or golf bag.
frankj1 Offline
#22 Posted:
GhettoNigFabulous wrote:
Men of high intellect like pudding mittens and Frankj often agree with my brilliant insights into the urban cigar smoking lifestyle..

Parodis are terrific smokes. Another noteworthy old smoke from that same factory is Ramrod.. I love the bourbon flavor mustachioed cowboy on the box

though I appreciate the compliment, I'm not sure if that's what makes me a man of high intellect!

HA!