America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 3 weeks ago by Smooth light. 66 replies replies.
2 Pages<12
You want to prove God exists?
gummy jones Offline
#51 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 7,558
bgz wrote:
You got evidence that's better than a mathematical special case that suggests fate is a real thing?

Like I said, I don't buy it for the reasons I've given, but for someone who would be interested in having bullet points to throw out there... there it is.



ya

much better arguments from a mathematical standpoint from david galertner, philosophical from william lane craig, biological from stephen meyer

WLC does a really nice weekly Q&A
you may not agree with his answers but his philosophy is sound

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writings/question-answer/search/eyJyZXN1bHRfcGFnZSI6Ilwvd3JpdGluZ3NcL3F1ZXN0aW9uLWFuc3dlclwvc2VhcmNoIiwib3JkZXJieV9zb3J0IjoiZGF0ZXxkZXNjIn0
bgz Offline
#52 Posted:
Joined: 07-29-2014
Posts: 7,898
gummy jones wrote:
ya

much better arguments from a mathematical standpoint from david galertner, philosophical from william lane craig, biological from stephen meyer

WLC does a really nice weekly Q&A
you may not agree with his answers but his philosophy is sound

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writings/question-answer/search/eyJyZXN1bHRfcGFnZSI6Ilwvd3JpdGluZ3NcL3F1ZXN0aW9uLWFuc3dlclwvc2VhcmNoIiwib3JkZXJieV9zb3J0IjoiZGF0ZXxkZXNjIn0


Just looking at the topics posted is enough to make me go meh...

I literally handed you a scientific paper that claims to show that fate is a real thing under certain conditions. Did you even look at the paper?

Unfortunately, I posted for you scientific paper, and you posted for me questions and answers from some dude you claim to have more mathematical insight than an aspiring physicist.

I was hoping to have more a conversation about the topic of the paper itself, unfortunately I had to do some click-baity stuff to try to get a conversation about it (I'll talk to CelticBomber about it this weekend).

Seriously though, I'm interested in what happens to a discrete universe in expanding space (just an example that I know I've posted on here before), and the target audience of the guy you posted is wondering if it's moral to vote for a 3rd party candidate.

We're on different levels gummy.

Here's some questions from a target audience that I could never be:

Is death really so bad? I don't care, don't dwell on that sh*t... if anything worth mentioning happens when you die, then I guess I'll just find out about it when I get there.

Is it wrong to vote a 3rd party candidate? Seriously?

The fate of those who lived before Christ? I've asked that to Christians before, got all kinds of goofy answers... actually read this one. Apparently your guy thinks ancient protohumans were also god's creation and thinks we'll see them in heaven... ya, ok... dogs... f*ck dogs, no heaven for dogs... Neanderthals though... hey, even God f*cks up.

And this one...

What Should I Do about My Transgender Boyfriend?

This sagely man makes a case for equivalence of pedophilia because the girl is a godly moral girl, so she is taking advantage of the what ever the f*ck it is...

NO GUMMY, THIS MAN HAS NO ARGUMENT BETTER THAN THE ONE I HANDED TO YOU, BOTTOM LINE.

You're welcome.
izonfire Offline
#53 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 6,360
I know that God exists.
He talks to me every day...
gummy jones Offline
#54 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 7,558
i literally read scientific articles daily

your article showed up in my feed at some point last week in regards to time travel, at which time i skimmed it. i really dont find it too interesting.

i see nothing in the article that necessarily imputes a god.

as i said, there are real arguments much better than what you sent by real experts on both sides but i know you arent actually interested - if you are actually seeking i can lend you a few books from my library that you may like (from both sides of the arguments).

as to your cherry picking WLC (who is a philosopher) answers to readers' submitted questions while refusing to search for more scientific questions that are asked/answered - i am not surprised that you selected a topic that lets you prove your moral and intellectual superiority. prove that his philosophy is wrong. trust me, you cant. it may hurt your feelings, but his arguments follow.
gummy jones Offline
#55 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 7,558
edit:
just read your whole response, was too busy at work to piece through it all at once

while he is just one voice of many, william lane craig debates lawrence krauss, christopher hitchens, samuel harris, etc. dont cherry pick a few heartfelt questions from teenage girls and make an assumption on his target audience

thats just not fair, even for you
gummy jones Offline
#56 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 7,558
by the way, it seems we have the same favorite topic ;)
bgz Offline
#57 Posted:
Joined: 07-29-2014
Posts: 7,898
Well, qa is where you sent me, so that's what got judged.

As far as proving philosophy wrong... that's just good science. However, not all philosophical ideas are falsifiable.

Unfortunately that's where any philosophy of god or gods lies... unfalsifiable.

Also, my title again was click baity... you're obviously not going to prove the existence of god... no matter what I posted. However, it is my understanding that the belief in an Abrahamic religion implies a belief in fate, because you must also believe in the prophets and their prophecies...

Which simply doesn't jive with what we know as a civilization. However this paper provides a mathematical construct that more or less quantizes fate.

You said you had something better, and the best you could do is send me to a qa page with a philosopher of the divine.


bgz Offline
#58 Posted:
Joined: 07-29-2014
Posts: 7,898
gummy jones wrote:
by the way, it seems we have the same favorite topic ;)


I have many favorite topics... you want to argue with me more about it, you might want to join us on the vherf.
gummy jones Offline
#59 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 7,558
i have enjoyed a bunch of david galertner's writings and he led me to stephen meyer and his book "darwins doubt"

darwins doubt is a little chewy (at least it was for me) but certainly a nice synthesis of multiple specialties
gummy jones Offline
#60 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2015
Posts: 7,558
bgz wrote:
I have many favorite topics... you want to argue with me more about it, you might want to join us on the vherf.


i may take you guys up on that but, unfortunately, i work too much
tailgater Offline
#61 Posted:
Joined: 06-01-2000
Posts: 25,084
Very strange to see people wrestle with "seeing" and "believing" and "proof or no proof".

It's like they don't understand the meaning of the word Faith.

Speyside Offline
#62 Posted:
Joined: 03-16-2015
Posts: 11,024
Interesting discussion Joe, treat it as such. Faith and or Epiphany are exactly what they are. To some that is a wide open discussion. To others it is too personal for wide open discussion. I doubt no human being because of their particular beliefs. I try my best to understand different beliefs than mine, but often fail. I am human therefore I am flawed. In the end I will only be judged on my life's actions.
bgz Offline
#63 Posted:
Joined: 07-29-2014
Posts: 7,898
I have a hypothesis that puts the concept of you being judged on this life's choices in doubt if it turns out there actually is a vengeful curmudgeon sitting at the very tip top of the food chain... but it's beyond the scope of this thread.
Brewha Offline
#64 Posted:
Joined: 01-25-2010
Posts: 9,399
tailgater wrote:
Very strange to see people wrestle with "seeing" and "believing" and "proof or no proof".

It's like they don't understand the meaning of the word Faith.


Actually, some us know what faith is just a bit too well....
Speyside Offline
#65 Posted:
Joined: 03-16-2015
Posts: 11,024
Fair point. Though to reach that point you have to use Judeo Christian dogma. I don't. And yes, beyond the scope of this thread, though an interesting discussion to say the least.
Smooth light Offline
#66 Posted:
Joined: 06-26-2020
Posts: 716
Do you give offerings, because of obligations or gratification. Obligations;are (selfish needs,
debts, glorifying your ego....)
Gratification;(thankfulness, mercy, love and glory....) GOD or no god. Smoke a cigar and a drink and contemplate, then answer. 🤔.

Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages<12