Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Burn issues
1. Author: paulkeckDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 4:00PM EST
It seems like nothing I do helps! I have been having burn issues on all my cigars, can't tell if they are just overly wet or what. I started with 65 heartfelt beads and i got them too wet, it went up to 70 in my wineador, lowered it and since then it's been holding at 66/67 still burn issues, so I get a tuppador desk top and use 62 boveda packs, I think it will work but I keep smoking them faster than letting them rest so they still have burn issues. How long should they sit before they should be good?
2. Author: delta1Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 4:10PM EST
You're on the right track, Paul. I've found that lower RH, between 60-65, is the right range...and more humi time after delivery, at least a few weeks, at that RH is best. Most cigars arrive too wet...prolly being stored at 70% (or more). I have had some newly bought cigars increase the RH in a tupperdor from 65 to 73 RH.

One way to reduce the moisture in a newly purchased cigar, if you can't wait the few weeks, is to "dry box" it. The ambient RH has to be lower than the RH in the humidor, though. Letting the cigar sit in a humidor or cigar box that has a lower RH will help.
3. Author: paulkeckDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 4:12PM EST
I am probably going to do that for at least the next 2 weeks until my 62 humidor has time to settle down. How long do you usually dry box?
4. Author: delta1Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 4:23PM EST
Try it for one day...put it in and let it sit for a day...if that results in a satisfactory burn, you're good to go...if not, give it another day...

I have a thermometer with a humidity device that displays the temp and RH in the room where I keep my humidor. If the RH is 50 or below, I'll just set the cigar out on the desk for a day, without putting it in an actual dry box.

Haven't had too many cigars tunnel, canoe or go out frequently when doing this. But I have a larger supply now, so I rarely smoke a cigar right off the truck. I still get the occasional uneven burn, but that may be more of a roll issue.
5. Author: paulkeckDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 4:37PM EST
Lol that's my problem, I just got back to ordering them, so they are all fairly new, I will try dry boxing for a day and see where we go from there, thanks for the help!
6. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 6:00PM EST
You're going to have more burn issues in colder weather fyi, there's a huge temperature and humidity difference and fragile wrappers or over humidifier cigars will cracking or burn unevenly.
7. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 6:00PM EST
Stick with smaller ring gauge cigars and heartier wrappers (not connie, or comeroon).
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic