Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
NYT: The Boys Are Not All Right (opinion piece)
1. Author: HuckFinnDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 6:41PM EST
(Long, I know but heartfelt I thought )
This was in the NY TIMES by
Michael Ian Black, comedian, actor and author

I used to have this one-liner: “If you want to emasculate a guy friend, when you’re at a restaurant, ask him everything that he’s going to order, and then when the waitress comes … order for him.” It’s funny because it shouldn’t be that easy to rob a man of his masculinity — but it is

Last week, 17 people, most of them teenagers, were shot dead at a Florida school. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School now joins the ranks of Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Columbine and too many other sites of American carnage. What do these shootings have in common? Guns, yes. But also, boys. Girls aren’t pulling the triggers. It’s boys. It’s almost always boys.

America’s boys are broken. And it’s killing us.

The brokenness of the country’s boys stands in contrast to its girls, who still face an abundance of obstacles but go into the world increasingly well equipped to take them on.

The past 50 years have redefined what it means to be female in America. Girls today are told that they can do anything, be anyone. They’ve absorbed the message: They’re outperforming boys in school at every level. But it isn’t just about performance. To be a girl today is to be the beneficiary of decades of conversation about the complexities of womanhood, its many forms and expressions.

Boys, though, have been left behind. No commensurate movement has emerged to help them navigate toward a full expression of their gender. It’s no longer enough to “be a man” — we no longer even know what that means.

Too many boys are trapped in the same suffocating, outdated model of masculinity, where manhood is measured in strength, where there is no way to be vulnerable without being emasculated, where manliness is about having power over others. They are trapped, and they don’t even have the language to talk about how they feel about being trapped, because the language that exists to discuss the full range of human emotion is still viewed as sensitive and feminine.

Men feel isolated, confused and conflicted about their natures. Many feel that the very qualities that used to define them — their strength, aggression and competitiveness — are no longer wanted or needed; many others never felt strong or aggressive or competitive to begin with. We don’t know how to be, and we’re terrified.

But to even admit our terror is to be reduced, because we don’t have a model of masculinity that allows for fear or grief or tenderness or the day-to-day sadness that sometimes overtakes us all.

Case in point: A few days ago, I posted a brief thread about these thoughts on Twitter, knowing I would receive hateful replies in response. I got dozens of messages impugning my manhood; the mildest of them called me a “soy boy” (a common insult among the alt-right that links soy intake to estrogen).

And so the man who feels lost but wishes to preserve his fully masculine self has only two choices: withdrawal or rage. We’ve seen what withdrawal and rage have the potential to do. School shootings are only the most public of tragedies. Others, on a smaller scale, take place across the country daily; another commonality among shooters is a history of abuse toward women.

To be clear, most men will never turn violent. Most men will turn out fine. Most will learn to navigate the deep waters of their feelings without ever engaging in any form of destruction. Most will grow up to be kind. But many will not.

We will probably never understand why any one young man decides to end the lives of others. But we can see at least one pattern and that pattern is glaringly obvious. It’s boys.

I believe in boys. I believe in my son. Sometimes, though, I see him, 16 years old, swallowing his frustration, burying his worry, stomping up the stairs without telling us what’s wrong, and I want to show him what it looks like to be vulnerable and open but I can’t. Because I was a boy once, too.

There has to be a way to expand what it means to be a man without losing our masculinity. I don’t know how we open ourselves to the rich complexity of our manhood. I think we would benefit from the same conversations girls and women have been having for these past 50 years.

I would like men to use feminism as an inspiration, in the same way that feminists used the civil rights movement as theirs. I’m not advocating a quick fix. There isn’t one. But we have to start the conversation. Boys are broken, and I want to help.

Michael Ian Black is a comedian, actor and author.

Over simplification? I dunno.
2. Author: SpeysideDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 7:08PM EST
Interesting article, a lot of it sadly makes sense. Expect some here to lampoon you, it's what they do. Never thought of that context. Rather eye opening.
3. Author: dstiegerDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 9:05AM EST
HuckFinn wrote:

America’s boys are broken. ...

Boys, though, have been left behind. ..... It’s no longer enough to “be a man” — we no longer even know what that means.

Men feel isolated, confused and conflicted about their natures. Many feel that the very qualities that used to define them — their strength, aggression and competitiveness — are no longer wanted or needed; many others never felt strong or aggressive or competitive to begin with. We don’t know how to be, and we’re terrified.

Over simplification?

Ya think?

That there's some hellacious generalizations...IMO, he's speaking for a small minority of men...and a group who need to 'man up' and get over their drama selves
4. Author: SpeysideDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 9:13AM EST
Do you think that would be sound advice for the mass murderers?
5. Author: dstiegerDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 9:20AM EST
What mass murderers? What percent of the population is male mass murderers??????

Blanket statements projecting the author's pussification onto 155 million males because there's a very small handful of guys that are fd up in the head????

Good thing there were no mass murderers in previous decades
6. Author: SpeysideDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 9:35AM EST
Actually I think he was addressing a possible reason for men/boys snapping. Logically this is only a small percentage. I think you are making a broad stroke with your opinion and not considering that small percentage. Also your last statement seems rather meaningless considering mass murderers may have had the same reasons for decades.

Why are they mentally off? This is a question that begs to consider any semi plausible answer. Since the answer is not obvious. To me your statement of ****ification makes me think you are stuck in the 50's, times have changed. Also it makes me think you have a specific idea of how men should act. This is illogical as we are all different.

BTW, one mass murderer is one to many. I assume you would agree with that. I did not read you offering a reason for these mass murders. Why do you think they are happening?
7. Author: dstiegerDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 9:47AM EST
I have no clue why they're snapping. My point was that throughout human history, there have always been some who valued life so little that they killed people.

Author implies that this is some recent phenomenon caused by men's recently acquired inability to think for themselves. I think its a crock.

Times have changed? What does that mean. Times always change. Of course I have an idea of how men should act. As soon as you suggest that we shouldn't....well, you've just neutered the entire population. No, we're not all the same. But men ARE different from women. Its time that people stopped ignoring that....or worse, suggesting that it isn't true.

And one of my ideas of how men should act, is that they shouldn't kill innocent people. Those that do are fd in the head. I don't think you can argue that. If that 'small percentage' has issues grappling with their own sexuality....well, ok....it doesn't mean that: "And so the man who feels lost but wishes to preserve his fully masculine self has only two choices: withdrawal or rage."

at least not to me....it's a dumazz statement. And, he doesn't need to order anyone's dinner -- he figures that most of the male population is already emasculated....give me a break

"I would like men to use feminism as an inspiration," for what?
8. Author: cacmanDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 10:23AM EST
Blame it on the p*ssification of the male??? LMFAO

https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-female-serial-killers/reference
9. Author: SpeysideDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 1:32PM EST
Ok, you get the no idea about why they snap. Lets get past the ****ification idea. He is talking about it is ok to understand your emotions and deal with them in a constructive manner. His reference was females do, not that males need to be feminized.

Is he right, probably not. Is this an op ed, certainly. My feeling is why not think outside the box, possibly that is where the answer lies. I think it is short sighted to immediately dismiss an idea.

The answer lies somewhere in the mental health realm in my opinion. I would like the problem to be lessened as much as possible.
10. Author: HuckFinnDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 3:35PM EST
The article was sent to me by a retired woman school psychologist friend of mine.

I agree. The author of it makes a few assumptions that don't seem right to me as well.

I've just an opinion, not reliable info as to why mentally disturbed boys decide to kill classmates. I personally can't reconcile their condition with their p*ssification.

But a little surfing the net shows that something is different about young people today than when we were growing up. Woman have become independent. They don't really see men as necessary partners that will support them etc. They've made tons of progress and to a large extent at the expense of boys and men.

Boys are not being given as clear a path as to what their new role should look like as girls are. There are tons of articles, many written by women (!) that examine this new and international phenomenon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boys+today+feminized&oq=boys+today+feminized&aqs=chrome..69i57.10277j0j7&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I get the "man up"" approach. But I'm not sure that works anymore if it ever did.
Especially after reading around about how lost even millennials are. Here's just one link that talks about their problem.

https://medium.com/@chrishaven/why-millennial-men-are-failing-e6c60c9eb037

It's tricky chit. I don't know what the answer is. I do acknowledge though, that there is a problem.
11. Author: cacmanDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 3:44PM EST
Here's an article for everyone:

Active shooters in schools: The enemy is denial
Preventing juvenile mass murder in American schools is the job of police officers, school teachers, and concerned parents
https://www.policeone.com/school-violence/articles/2058168-Active-shooters-in-schools-The-enemy-is-denial/

Lot's see who actually reads it.
12. Author: HuckFinnDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 4:39PM EST
cacman wrote:
Here's an article for everyone:

Active shooters in schools: The enemy is denial
Preventing juvenile mass murder in American schools is the job of police officers, school teachers, and concerned parents
https://www.policeone.com/school-violence/articles/2058168-Active-shooters-in-schools-The-enemy-is-denial/

Lot's see who actually reads it.

Read it. Makes sense. ONLY thing I don't see working without a hitch is routine drilling for shooting events. Shooters are always kids that attend or attended the school they target and will know the drill inside out.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic