Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Woman stabbed to death with hunting knife in public library
1. Author: cacmanDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 12:18PM EST
WINCHESTER, Mass. — A man attacked a woman from behind at a public library near Boston on Saturday and stabbed her repeatedly with a hunting knife, killing her and injuring an elderly man who came to her aid, authorities said.

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan said the 22-year-old woman was studying or doing work at a table in the Winchester Public Library’s reading room when 23-year-old Jeffrey Yao attacked her with a 10-inch knife. The woman suffered numerous slash and stab wounds to her head and upper torso, Ryan said.

Ryan said the woman staggered toward the door and several people tried to help her, including a 77-year-old man who also was stabbed. The man, who was stabbed in the arm, is expected to survive, Ryan said.

The district attorney said authorities are working to determine a possible motive and whether Yao and the woman knew each other. Ryan said Yao was “known to police,” but declined to elaborate.

Yao is charged with murder and armed assault with intent to murder and is being held without bail until he appears in court on Monday. A phone number for him could not be found and it was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney.

Ryan said the woman’s identity is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

Russ Ganz told The Boston Globe that he was walking by around 11 a.m. when he saw a woman being taken out of the library on a stretcher. Ganz said the woman, who was upright and conscious, appeared to have injuries to her shoulder.

“I thought somebody fell down the stairs,” he told the newspaper.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/25/woman-stabbed-to-death-with-hunting-knife-in-public-library/

---

That's it. Ban all tactical and assault style knives! Plastic butter knives for everyone!
2. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 12:58PM EST
the neighbors in his little neighborhood have been terrified for years, reporting multiple times to the Winchester Police...per the Boston Globe this morning.

Sometimes you do know who the crazy is, despite the philosophical argument regarding "who gets to decide"...maybe one's family? Unless it's inherited?
3. Author: Gene363Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 1:07PM EST
cacman wrote:
...That's it. Ban all tactical and assault style knives! Plastic butter knives for everyone!

England is heading that way, no locking blades, not carry without a purpose other than defense and runs at outlawing large kitchen knives. Soon it will be wood scrap clubs and pointy sticks. horse
4. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 2:04PM EST
Board with a nail in it... Mellow
5. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 3:00PM EST
This place is so predictable.

Ban calls for banning!
6. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 3:25PM EST
I heard you were banned.. Mellow
7. Author: delta1Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 5:28PM EST
some knives are already banned...
8. Author: xibbumberoDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 8:12PM EST
It was the librarian who did it. Mebbe she shoulda not been late in returning her book. X Frying pan
9. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 8:32PM EST
Colonel Mustard with a knife in the library?
10. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 8:35PM EST
I have no clue
11. Author: tailgaterDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 8:38PM EST
I once gave Miss Scarlet the lead pipe in the lounge.
12. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 8:40PM EST
Ok I lied. Now I have a raging clue.

Thanks tail.
13. Author: SpeysideDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 9:07PM EST
To soon Frank.
14. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 9:20PM EST
Speyside wrote:
To soon Frank.

I knew it.
So, I don't live very far from that town. Nice town, small safe community, good access to Boston. Not a place that is very familiar with violent crime...

I understand that the op was not really about the girl's death, it was part of other discussions about banning or changing anything relating to guns.

I get it. But I kind of expected Carl to use it more for mental health awareness and intervention, because he does seem to be on top of that subject as well, rather than using it as irony to show the gun control crowd...so the end surprised me, but I get it.

Sad story though, Will have no legs, not sexy.
15. Author: MACSDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 9:36PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
Sad story though, Will have no legs, not sexy.

No gun involved... very little news on it. Hell, even if there is a gun involved, there's very little news. How many gun death's in Chicago this weekend?

Doesn't fit the narrative...
16. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 9:38PM EST
MACS wrote:
No gun involved... very little news on it. Hell, even if there is a gun involved, there's very little news. How many gun death's in Chicago this weekend?

ironic that this little MA town is named Winchester!
17. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sun, 2/25/2018, 9:58PM EST
A single murder is rarely anything but local news even if a gun is used. We had a couple gun related murders this weekend. The only reason this one turned up in here is there was no gun.

18. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 2/25/2018, 11:35PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
A single murder is rarely anything but local news even if a gun is used. We had a couple gun related murders this weekend. The only reason this one turned up in here is there was no gun.

exactly.

Where I see the need to push to restore (and add more) funding for mental illness identity and treatment, others see an opportunity to prove guns aren't the only weapons of choice for crazy murderers.

the future of post mortem discussions is irreversibly headed to partisan politics editorials rather than about ways to protect our citizens' Rights to Life...without which there is no Liberty nor Pursuit of Happiness.
19. Author: cacmanDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 10:28AM EST
frankj1 wrote:
I get it. But I kind of expected Carl to use it more for mental health awareness and intervention, because he does seem to be on top of that subject as well, rather than using it as irony to show the gun control crowd...so the end surprised me, but I get it.

Well the media didn't dig into every detail of this guy's past. There where no reports from others warning this guy might have a problem. The FBI didn't receive any tips he might stab someone.

The story and the guy's mental health was not sensationalized to push a knife-control agenda. Simply another senseless death in another city.
20. Author: danmdevriesDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 10:41AM EST
MACS wrote:

Probably a lot, considering we had several in the suburbs.
21. Author: dstiegerDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 10:46AM EST
cacman wrote:

The district attorney said authorities are working to determine a possible motive and whether Yao and the woman knew each other.

New reports have revealed clues to the motive:

Yao feels isolated, confused and conflicted about his male nature. He feels that the very qualities that used to define him — strength, aggression and competitiveness — are no longer wanted or needed; maybe he never felt strong or aggressive or competitive to begin with. He doesn't know how to feel male...and he's terrified.

22. Author: BuckwheatDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 11:10AM EST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U90dnUbZMmM

23. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 2/26/2018, 1:16PM EST
dstieger wrote:

Yao feels isolated, confused and conflicted about his male nature. He feels that the very qualities that used to define him — strength, aggression and competitiveness — are no longer wanted or needed; maybe he never felt strong or aggressive or competitive to begin with. He doesn't know how to feel male...and he's terrified.

CROSS THREAD OUTRAGE!
24. Author: dstiegerDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 1:17PM EST
no need for outrage...I'm a crossthreading master....mostly nuts, but bolts, too
25. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 2/26/2018, 1:19PM EST
cacman wrote:
Well the media didn't dig into every detail of this guy's past. There where no reports from others warning this guy might have a problem. The FBI didn't receive any tips he might stab someone.

The story and the guy's mental health was not sensationalized to push a knife-control agenda. Simply another senseless death in another city.

Ah, got it. You picked up on the story very quickly too, so little was known.
I'm local so I did hear and see stuff about the guy.
26. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 2/26/2018, 1:20PM EST
dstieger wrote:
no need for outrage...I'm a crossthreading master....mostly nuts, but bolts, too

I hate when that happens
27. Author: victor809Date: Mon, 2/26/2018, 1:42PM EST
Trump has made a statement about this.

He said in an interview that had he been there, he would have charged into the library unarmed and naked and used karate to disarm Yao and then killed him with his 5 finger death punch just to save taxpayers money on a trial.
28. Author: DrafterXDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 1:45PM EST
Sounds like 'Trump alright... Mellow
29. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 2/26/2018, 1:46PM EST
victor809 wrote:

He said in an interview that had he been there, he would have charged into the library unarmed and naked and used karate to disarm Yao and then killed him with his 5 finger death punch just to save taxpayers money on a trial.

he would have been ssshhhh'd
30. Author: RMAN4443Date: Mon, 2/26/2018, 2:00PM EST
victor809 wrote:

Yep, Trump's a no nonsense, take no prisoners type of guy Whistle
31. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 2/26/2018, 2:31PM EST
ya...if not for his dang bone spurs, he woulda slaughtered the Viet Cong and won the Vietnam War...
32. Author: DrafterXDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 2:36PM EST
They're prolly better now... Mellow
33. Author: victor809Date: Mon, 2/26/2018, 2:55PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
They're prolly better now... Mellow

I'm sure they got better in about 1975
34. Author: teedubbyaDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 3:21PM EST
I heard someone else died somewhere proving there is no need to try to stop it
35. Author: HuckFinnDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:52AM EST
dstieger wrote:

Great how you see things so clearly. (I mean dismiss things so easily)

Without bothering to do any research, you're convinced.

Well, either way, seems to have struck a nerve with you, sorry?

Cause no one else took it personally for fk sake.

36. Author: SpeysideDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 9:00AM EST
Dave has been reduced to cross thread stalking. His fall from grace is duly noted. Such a sad event, but life goes on.
37. Author: dstiegerDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 9:32AM EST
I'm so ashamed. Further souring the mood of the day, I am deeply saddened at Huck's loss of all sense of humor. The world is just a little darker today.
38. Author: SpeysideDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 9:47AM EST
He had a sense of humor?
39. Author: HuckFinnDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 9:54AM EST
dstieger wrote:
I'm so ashamed. Further souring the mood of the day, I am deeply saddened at Huck's loss of all sense of humor. The world is just a little darker today.

Don't worry.
Be happy.
40. Author: dstiegerDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 10:25AM EST
Speyside wrote:
He had a sense of humor?

Oh my. Even more depressing.....its said that it is better to have laughed and lost, than never to have laughed at all.

HuckFinn wrote:
Don't worry.
Be happy.

Thanks. I'll get through this
41. Author: HuckFinnDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 10:35AM EST
dstieger wrote:
Oh my. Even more depressing.....its said that it is better to have laughed and lost, than never to have laughed at all.

We're all here for ya...
42. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 1:54PM EST
dstieger wrote:

the actual Stan Friedburg Salada teabag tag quote was: t'is better to have loved a short man/woman than never to have loved a tall.
43. Author: dstiegerDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 2:06PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
the actual Stan Friedburg Salada teabag tag quote was: t'is better to have loved a short man/woman than never to have loved a tall.

Don't know Stan (does he sometimes go by Little Caesar?) , but, I'd guess he's the little guy in the corner who was dissing Randy Newman

44. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 2:16PM EST
little sweet?
45. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 5:20PM EST
dstieger wrote:
Don't know Stan (does he sometimes go by Little Caesar?) , but, I'd guess he's the little guy in the corner who was dissing Randy Newman

ya gotta know him. humorist from the 60's and 70's, funny Salad tea commercials etc.

I spelled his name incorrectly it was Freberg. Did song parodies, Ed Sullivan show kinda guy, a voice you'd remember.
46. Author: HuckFinnDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 2:55PM EST
Speyside wrote:
He had a sense of humor?

Dude, never, NEVER! accuse me of not having a great sense of humor!!!!

Seriously!!

Hehe
47. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 5:47PM EST
your sixth one, no?
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic