Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev2345NextLast
2018 FIFA World Cup Thread
151. Author: teedubbyaDate: Fri, 7/13/2018, 7:26AM EST
But I also love the NFL. Great sport great league with its own issues. I hate seeing receivers flopping and whining for penalties though just as much as I hate it in soccer. A bogus PI call at the 1 is the same as a PK. It’s an actual tactic in the NFL. At least in soccer they will review VAR. in football it’s not reviewable.

It was refreshing that flopping was much less of an issue this WC. They are getting it right. The next step is to do what I think Tail is suggesting. Card the flops rather than just not calling them or using VAR to adjudicate. After adjudication card. I’m sure Tail knows this already happens at times but I think he wants it even more strict because his was a well informed comment wanting to help the sport rather than a knee jerk reaction to a sport he doesn’t like.

Tail I love the needy comment. You should bring that up in conversation when you travel pretty much anywhere outside the States. See how it goes.
152. Author: rfenstDate: Fri, 7/13/2018, 7:28AM EST
LOL!
153. Author: tailgaterDate: Fri, 7/13/2018, 9:25AM EST
teedubbya wrote:
But I also love the NFL. Great sport great league with its own issues. I hate seeing receivers flopping and whining for penalties though just as much as I hate it in soccer. A bogus PI call at the 1 is the same as a PK. It’s an actual tactic in the NFL. At least in soccer they will review VAR. in football it’s not reviewable.

It was refreshing that flopping was much less of an issue this WC. They are getting it right. The next step is to do what I think Tail is suggesting. Card the flops rather than just not calling them or using VAR to adjudicate. After adjudication card. I’m sure Tail knows this already happens at times but I think he wants it even more strict because his was a well informed comment wanting to help the sport rather than a knee jerk reaction to a sport he doesn’t like.

Tail I love the needy comment. You should bring that up in conversation when you travel pretty much anywhere outside the States. See how it goes.

I guess we'll hear a dozen ways how soccer fans (and TW in particular) are not needy.

154. Author: tailgaterDate: Fri, 7/13/2018, 9:31AM EST
As many know, I'm an avid NFL fan. And a self admitted and incurable homer in most sports.

When someone doesn't like the NFL I've never once implied it was due to their inability to understand it. Never told them that they have to watch MORE of it so they can tell me why they don't like it.

Yes, TW. Soccer fans are a needy bunch.
At least here in America.

Not sure why you feel the NEED to bring in outside countries to defend your position.

It's soccer.
It's a good sport, and I would watch it if America were in it (my homerism again).

In the meantime, if it's on at the bar then I'll watch it.
But I wouldn't cancel a pedicure for the finals.

and I guess that's because I don't understand it and I don't watch enough of it.
At least according the TW.

155. Author: teedubbyaDate: Fri, 7/13/2018, 9:32AM EST
Your apology is accepted.
156. Author: shaun341Date: Fri, 7/13/2018, 8:24PM EST
I played a Croatia stacked lineup on Draftkings just for fun last game and made a couple dollars. I haven't watched this World Cup as much as the past few but I did catch the replay of that game and it was a fun game to watch. I will be rooting for Croatia on Sunday just for the sake I like to see the underdog or a new team win.
157. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Fri, 7/13/2018, 10:31PM EST
Tailgater,

You can get your Homer-On next year, for the women's World Cup. The U.S. women are defending champions.

Not to mention some attractive athletes. Love me some Alex Morgan.

You might be able to get yourself into that for a few minutes.
158. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Fri, 7/13/2018, 11:34PM EST
I love watching high level soccer.
I like watching many women's sports....track and field, softball, tennis, golf, judo, MMA, traditional and beach volleyball, etc.

But for some reason, I just can't watch women's soccer, or basketball. Could be the deviation from the men's game is just too much?
I don't know...
159. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 7/14/2018, 7:15AM EST
Looking forward to the consolation match.
160. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 7/14/2018, 7:18AM EST
rfenst wrote:
Looking forward to the consolation match.

Me too. Dog walk and breakfast first. Here we go!
161. Author: deadeyedickDate: Sat, 7/14/2018, 9:33AM EST
I can get into watching the women.
162. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 7/14/2018, 10:53AM EST
Great match- my team won too!
163. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 7/14/2018, 10:21PM EST
rfenst wrote:
Great match- my team won too!

Yes, and everyone not in France is pulling for Croatia!

........ except Le Hockedad.
164. Author: rfenstDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 8:36AM EST
Go Croatia! I hope to watch a great match with everyone playing their hearts out.
165. Author: Burner02Date: Sun, 7/15/2018, 9:39AM EST
rfenst wrote:
Go Croatia!

Agree!
166. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 9:51AM EST
Cheering for Croatia, betting on France.
167. Author: rfenstDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 10:00AM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Cheering for Croatia, betting on France.

Good call.
168. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 10:31AM EST
Tailgator is missing a hell of a game.
169. Author: rfenstDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 10:38AM EST
8trackdisco wrote:

No matter.
170. Author: SmokeMonkeyDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 10:46AM EST
I’ve missed most of the tournament, but glad I’m catching this one.
171. Author: SmokeMonkeyDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 11:24AM EST
Done and dusted now.
172. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 11:26AM EST
Not the ending most were hoping for on an otherwise competitive and surprising WC.
173. Author: rfenstDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 12:12PM EST
Now it is time to ramp up my attention of the Tour de France.
174. Author: delta1Date: Sun, 7/15/2018, 4:12PM EST
France got better as they progressed to the final...better team than Croatia...I underestimated them based on a mediocre showing in a meaningless friendly with a young USMNT a few weeks before the WC...
175. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 8:31PM EST
delta1 wrote:
France got better as they progressed to the final...better team than Croatia...I underestimated them based on a mediocre showing in a meaningless friendly with a young USMNT a few weeks before the WC...

Had them about estimated right= had them in the championship game. But they didn't lose to.... Germany.
176. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Sun, 7/15/2018, 11:25PM EST
France wins.........but that game was closer than the score.
France got some breaks and calls, Croatia not so much, even though they dominated the ball, and most of the stats.
But that 19 year old for France whose name I can't spell is a beast already.
177. Author: tailgaterDate: Mon, 7/16/2018, 8:36AM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Tailgater,

You can get your Homer-On next year, for the women's World Cup. The U.S. women are defending champions.

Not to mention some attractive athletes. Love me some Alex Morgan.

You might be able to get yourself into that for a few minutes.

A few minutes is all I'll need.

178. Author: tailgaterDate: Mon, 7/16/2018, 8:41AM EST
8trackdisco wrote:

I saw the second half at the bar before heading into Fenway Park for the game.
I wanted Croatia to win, but it was much more fun when France scored.
I mean, you can't really yell "Viva La Croatia!" can you?

4th goal was the killer. Goalie misplayed it a bit.

179. Author: Mr. JonesDate: Mon, 7/16/2018, 9:53AM EST
Le'HOCKEYDAD O.U.T.R.A.G.E. !!!

FRANCE WON...
Le'HOCKEYDAD sinks into the abyss...
180. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 7/17/2018, 7:28PM EST
tailgater wrote:
I saw the second half at the bar before heading into Fenway Park for the game.
I wanted Croatia to win, but it was much more fun when France scored.
I mean, you can't really yell "Viva La Croatia!" can you?

4th goal was the killer. Goalie misplayed it a bit.

That's all it takes. Baby steps, T-Gator. Baby steps.
181. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 7/17/2018, 8:35PM EST
You don't need to try so hard with the old Americans...the world's sport is football...by 2026, when the Cup returns, most American sports fans will understand the game, but may not necessarily root for the USMNT, even though they'll be in...

hope I'm still around so I can go see a game or two...
182. Author: tailgaterDate: Tue, 7/17/2018, 8:46PM EST
delta1 wrote:
You don't need to try so hard with the old Americans...the world's sport is football...by 2026, when the Cup returns, most American sports fans will understand the game, but may not necessarily root for the USMNT, even though they'll be in...

hope I'm still around so I can go see a game or two...

If we took a consensus today and soccer was the most popular, I wouldn't like it any better.
So who really cares?

I am still amazed at how needy soccer fans are.
"understand it".
LOL!
C'mon man.
I know that goes sideways up the azz of soccer fans, and that's not my intent here. But soccer fans are the only fans who insist it's YOUR fault if you don't enjoy watching the game.

183. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 7/18/2018, 12:37AM EST
yep, soccer fans shouldn't care who likes or don't like the game...and shouldn't try to convert those who don't. Nor should people who don't like the game bag on those who do...even my son's friends who hated baseball, didn't gripe at me for insisting on watching baseball when they came over...

almost the same dynamic as religious zealots trying to convert non-believers who openly question and ridicule their beliefs...

or Patriot fans who chafe at any criticism of the exalted Belichick and Brady...
184. Author: rfenstDate: Wed, 7/18/2018, 6:09AM EST
delta1 wrote:
...almost the same dynamic as religious zealots trying to convert non-believers who openly question and ridicule their beliefs...

or Patriot fans who chafe at any criticism of the exalted Belichick and Brady...

Touche'!
185. Author: Mattie BDate: Wed, 7/18/2018, 7:34AM EST
Delta

Poor analogy but I see what you were trying to do.

Those religious zealots, as you call them, are trying to save you from an eternity in Hell. That carries a bit more weight than, “I want you to like what I like”.

But,
No harm, no foul. Just a poor example
186. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 7/18/2018, 8:00AM EST
Only because they beleive that while a non believer does not.

That’s the point. The believer (god, soccer, baseball) always believes they are right and know more. The non believer (god, soccer, baseball) often doesn’t think the believer knows more and sometimes think they know more than the believer.

Just because you and I beleive in god and beleive it has greater implication than any sport doesn’t make it true or even more important. If we are wrong there is zero importance there.

You are letting your beliefs convince you what you feel strongly about is more important and using that to justify the age old need to preach and convert. Non beleivers see this as annoying and exactly as he same thing. They are not wrong.

And you suck butt.
187. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 7/18/2018, 8:06AM EST
My friend watched game of thrones. I have not.

I did see a few minutes of the show and I explained to him all about how Ned Stark always wins and will be king for a long to me. He told me I don’t know what I’m talking about.

He is so needy. Why is it GOT fans always tell non fans they don’t know what they are talking about and just don’t understand the show?

You don’t need to actually watch it to understand it as well as those that do. Telling someone who doesn’t watch it that they don’t understand it as well as those that do is crazy.
188. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Wed, 7/18/2018, 8:36AM EST
teedubbya wrote:

I did see a few minutes of the show and I explained to him all about how Ned Stark always wins and will be king for a long to me. He told me I don’t know what I’m talking about.

He is so needy. Why is it GOT fans always tell non fans they don’t know what they are talking about and just don’t understand the show?

You don’t need to actually watch it to understand it as well as those that do. Telling someone who doesn’t watch it that they don’t understand it as well as those that do is crazy.

"You don't get da show!"

Papi Le Batard
189. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 7/18/2018, 11:50AM EST
Mattie B wrote:
Delta

Poor analogy but I see what you were trying to do.

Those religious zealots, as you call them, are trying to save you from an eternity in Hell. That carries a bit more weight than, “I want you to like what I like”.

But,
No harm, no foul. Just a poor example

I understand your point, Mattie...I hope I didn't offend you...I would never ridicule anybody's religious beliefs...

A few years ago, I watched as a co-worker constantly tried to convert a fellow co-worker, they started out as pretty good friends...they got into several heated discussions, with the non-believer using hurtful examples to question the foundations of the other's beliefs...after a couple of years, they hardly spoke or acknowledged one another...
190. Author: Mattie BDate: Wed, 7/18/2018, 4:51PM EST
Not offended at all Delta.

TW however I find very offensive.

Anyway.....

Soccer. Yes. Love it!
191. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 7/18/2018, 7:23PM EST
Poor Hodor... Sad
192. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 7/18/2018, 8:34PM EST
Screw hodor

Hodor
193. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 7/18/2018, 8:37PM EST
OhMyGod
194. Author: rfenstDate: Thu, 7/19/2018, 5:47AM EST
I am going through withdrawal symptoms. Watching the lousy Orlando City won't do it for me.
195. Author: tailgaterDate: Thu, 7/19/2018, 8:28AM EST
delta1 wrote:
yep, soccer fans shouldn't care who likes or don't like the game...and shouldn't try to convert those who don't. Nor should people who don't like the game bag on those who do...even my son's friends who hated baseball, didn't gripe at me for insisting on watching baseball when they came over...

almost the same dynamic as religious zealots trying to convert non-believers who openly question and ridicule their beliefs...

Whoa man!
196. Author: tailgaterDate: Thu, 7/19/2018, 8:35AM EST
teedubbya wrote:

Such a poor analogy I'm not even sure it is one.

I said something negative about soccer.
You assumed I don't understand it.

Never mind that I did some coaching and watched my boy play until he graduated this year.
I obviously don't understand it because I don't like world cup flopping.
Truly a needy attempt to prove a point. I just hope you remove your hat so we can find it...

197. Author: teedubbyaDate: Thu, 7/19/2018, 8:47AM EST
tailgater wrote:
Such a poor analogy I'm not even sure it is one.

I said something negative about soccer.
You assumed I don't understand it.

Never mind that I did some coaching and watched my boy play until he graduated this year.
I obviously don't understand it because I don't like world cup flopping.
Truly a needy attempt to prove a point. I just hope you remove your hat so we can find it...

Dude you are losing it

tailgater wrote:
FIFA
More like FAFA: Faking and flopping always.

teedubbya wrote:
My guess is you have not been watching. This has been a great world cup.

I think they are starting to gain control over the flopping. I was hoping the VAR would result in more yellows when it happens but it seems as if the Refs are doing a better job of not calling the penalty and the VAR at times works in reverse.... if that makes sense....

Flopping hasn't been much of an issue and I love the world making fun of Niedermeyer (intentional spelling)

Go croatia.

tailgater wrote:
Brazil's Neymar thanks you for the support.

Any sport that would allow such obvious flopping without enforcing any rules to prevent it should not be taken serious.

In the NHL some players started flopping, so they created the Embellishment penalty. And they enforce it, even though it's clearly a judgement call.
The NBA is doing the same thing. And it works.

This has been going on in soccer for decades, if not longer.
At the World Cup level.
And still no rules. Otherwise Neymar would have been sitting long before his team fell out of the tournament.

teedubbya wrote:
If you say so. You obviously have not been watching and did not grasp what I was saying. And I purposely misspelled Neymar who is the poster boy for the issue. he was largely mocked and his flops largely neutralized.

You don't have to like the sport, but its obvious you are not following it and your thoughts are a bit dated. The flopping issue is not totally resolved but they have made great strides without being draconian. There are rules and VAR.

I like what they have done, and if you had watched this world cup (which I'd guess you have no interest and even less knowledge about) you'd see flopping really has not been a huge issue..... neymar and what the mainstream media is telling you to think aside. its still there but not as you describe. I think you are out of your knowledge zone.

You pivot to soccer fans (post 146) are needy and got all butt hurt about the fact you hadn't followed the world cup so didn't know the state of flopping in the sport and turned that in to you thought I was saying you didn't understand the sport.... I responded that was a straw man but you don't understand what is happening in the sport for lack of watching.... Coaching your son is great.... it has nothing to do with flopping in FIFA and what they have done. I never said you didn't understand the sport but you seem to keep wanting to argue with something I never said rather than what I said.

Hey its been fun but you really are losing it. It's like you quit trying to be coherent or logical and will just proclaim you are right no matter what. Must be your TDS.
198. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 7/19/2018, 11:43AM EST
Trump Delusion Syndrome, rampant and widespread....approaching epidemic levels...
199. Author: DrafterXDate: Thu, 7/19/2018, 11:59AM EST
Yep, all the treason and impeachment calls with no crimes is getting pretty silly... Mellow
200. Author: tailgaterDate: Sat, 7/21/2018, 10:27AM EST
teedubbya wrote:
Dude you are losing it

You pivot to soccer fans (post 146) are needy and got all butt hurt about the fact you hadn't followed the world cup so didn't know the state of flopping in the sport and turned that in to you thought I was saying you didn't understand the sport.... I responded that was a straw man but you don't understand what is happening in the sport for lack of watching.... Coaching your son is great.... it has nothing to do with flopping in FIFA and what they have done. I never said you didn't understand the sport but you seem to keep wanting to argue with something I never said rather than what I said.

Hey its been fun but you really are losing it. It's like you quit trying to be coherent or logical and will just proclaim you are right no matter what. Must be your TDS.

It's pure awesomeness how needy you are when it comes to someone not liking soccer to the level you demand.

Take the flopping out and make it a real sport.
Not difficult.
And even though it might be getting "better", that's just a relative term. There is still outlandish flopping that goes unpunished.
That's not opinion, and you know it.

Truth be told, even without the flopping I wouldn't be a huge fan. I just pointed out the flopping with a made up acronym that obviously offended you. So, mission accomplished.

It needs to be stated again: Soccer fans (in America) are extremely needy as as a whole.

Look at all the NFL threads.
Virtually every one of them have comments like "I don't watch the NFL anymore because of blah blah reason".
And I don't recall any of the NFL fans countering with "you just don't understand it".

It's not even debatable. Soccer fans are needy. It's been like that for decades.

We're not even talking about the sport anymore. Just the fan's inability to be in the room with somebody who doesn't love it.

I like soccer when I have a horse in the race. I didn't care who won this one. France? Croatia? whatever.
Gambling can cure things like that.
Maybe I should have wagered on the over/under for number of flops.

(before you have an aneurysm, I know there were none)
FirstPrev2345NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic