Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
How long must I wait after receiving shipment
1. Author: debateptxDate: Fri, 7/12/2019, 5:24PM EST
Receiving my first shipment from cigarbid today.

I've got a box and a 10 pack + jar Humidor coming my way.

I'm very eager to dive into the box as soon as possible (don't have **** for selection locally - only 1 grocery store that sells maybe 7 different cigars and not a damn maduro worth spending even 75cents on), but I do realize that these cigars have been out of a humidor in transit for days.

How long should I wait before I dare spark one of these up?

Are they shipped with any climate precautions/humidity?

I'll take my answer off-air. Thanks!
2. Author: usafvet509Date: Fri, 7/12/2019, 6:10PM EST
Precautions? Not here, anyway. Hell, they practically throw your chit in a box and ship it, from my experiences.

Typically, I bed my shipments down for about 2wks before I crack them open. I don't know a magic number of days/wks, I just figure a 2wk minimum
3. Author: ChenoDate: Fri, 7/12/2019, 6:20PM EST
I actually got a 5er in the mail from them today, and they threw a humi pillow in the bag with them, that makes me happy. However I would give them at least a week or two
4. Author: Phil222Date: Fri, 7/12/2019, 6:26PM EST
I've smoked many cigars right off the truck with zero problems.
5. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 7/12/2019, 6:30PM EST
a lot of sellers store cigars in higher rh than I would, so a little drying out may not be a bad thing.
This time of year, however, I'd want to watch for beetles due to rising temps in transit.
6. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Fri, 7/12/2019, 7:20PM EST
I toss anything that comes in regardless of time of year in the freezer for 72 hours.The last thing you want is beetles.After 72 hours doing the big chill they go straight to my humidor for a long nap...…...I like a couple years but in some cases I'll cut that to 6 months.
7. Author: borndead1Date: Fri, 7/12/2019, 8:21PM EST
If it's a cigar that is new to me, I usually like to smoke one ROTT (right off the truck) just out of curiosity. But I always freeze my cigars. 24 hrs fridge, 48 hrs freezer, 24 hrs fridge, into the humi. I usually let them settle for a few weeks before smoking another one. For my regular rotation smokes, I usually have a 10 yr supply, so I just do the freeze thang and toss the unopened box/bundle into the humidor, to be opened whenever I need to.
8. Author: tonygrazDate: Fri, 7/12/2019, 9:14PM EST
Some cigars need a nap, some cigars need a long rest and others can be good ROTT. I only freeze mine in the summer.
9. Author: tonygrazDate: Fri, 7/12/2019, 9:15PM EST
To determine who you are and decide upon your forum worthiness, please answer the following simple questions:

Pancakes or waffles ?
Do you like long walks on the beach ?
Daisy Mae or Ellie Mae ?
Do you like camping by the river ?
Cello on or cello off ?
Ginger or MaryAnn ?
David Lee or Sammy ?
Warner Oland or Sidney Toler ?
Have you been in a Turkish prison ?
Do you like gladiator movies ?
dogs or cats ?
Men or women ?
Wad or fold ?
Sit or squat ?
Do sad movies make you cry ?
10. Author: izonfireDate: Fri, 7/12/2019, 9:27PM EST
debateptx wrote:
I'm very eager to dive into the box as soon as possible

Very understandable, but don't do it until you've checked for bugs.
Preferably from a reputable physician
11. Author: pacman357Date: Sun, 7/14/2019, 5:21PM EST
People are so harsh. Yes, they are shipped with protection. Some times you might even get two whole plastic air pillows. Not enough to keep things sliding around, but what were you expecting, Rockefeller? Limo front-door service? As for humidity, they are humidified with all of the ambient humidity an otherwise empty plastic bag can provide, and some times they are shipped in parts of the country that are plenty humid (although, sadly, that usually comes with heat). As for how long they will take to reach you, it depends on where you live. If you're anywhere near the Seattle area and are under 50 years old, you stand a decent chance of receiving the order before you start collecting social security retirement.

BTW, do yourself a favor and get a wooden box type of humidor. Easier to rotate product, move your moisture source if you find you have zones that are too high or too dry, and decent units will impart a nice flavor as you age. I've had plastic, glass and ceramic humidification jars. If I still had any of them, I'd gladly send them to you for free. A good round travel humi for short storage and transport is fine, but I just hate, hate, hate the jar humis. Some cigars just don't seem to like being stored standing up (and I don't blame them). You can usually get a nice 40-50 count unit here at a decent price, add a jar of gel beads and a digital hygrometer. If you like how they work, order up a backup of each in case you have a problem.

Lastly, if you live somewhere where the relatively short time of delivery leaves your smokes all dried out, there are places that ship with Boveda packs. They run specials, and if they don't advertise that they ship with humidity packs, you can always reach out to their customer service to ask.
12. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Sun, 7/14/2019, 5:37PM EST
tonygraz wrote:
I only freeze mine in the summer.

The only problem with this is eggs or beetles can be present anytime of year.By freezing you are ensuring you will NEVER have an outbreak in your humidor.I have a large closet humidor in my man cave, 2000-3000 cigars at any given time...….I want as much insurance as possible.
13. Author: tonygrazDate: Sun, 7/14/2019, 6:32PM EST
I like frozen cigars when it's hot out - sometimes I get a brain freeze before I light up. If you try it, use some chapstick.
14. Author: pacman357Date: Sun, 7/14/2019, 6:46PM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
The only problem with this is eggs or beetles can be present anytime of year.By freezing you are ensuring you will NEVER have an outbreak in your humidor.I have a large closet humidor in my man cave, 2000-3000 cigars at any given time...….I want as much insurance as possible.

Dude, isn't it about time you came out of the closet humidor? I mean, we all know....
15. Author: rfenstDate: Mon, 7/15/2019, 12:04PM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
I toss anything that comes in regardless of time of year in the freezer for 72 hours.The last thing you want is beetles.After 72 hours doing the big chill they go straight to my humidor for a long nap.

Best advise on this thread (thus far)!
16. Author: izonfireDate: Mon, 7/15/2019, 5:32PM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
I toss anything that comes in regardless of time of year in the freezer for 72 hours.The last thing you want is beetles.After 72 hours doing the big chill they go straight to my humidor for a long nap...…...I like a couple years but in some cases I'll cut that to 6 months.

That includes his women.
Not as much fun, but hey, no bugs!
17. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Mon, 7/15/2019, 6:51PM EST
pacman357 wrote:
Dude, isn't it about time you came out of the closet humidor? I mean, we all know....

Damn Pacdaddy......I thought only Z knew
18. Author: wc20Date: Mon, 7/15/2019, 7:05PM EST
Does that freezer thing adversely affect the cigars at al
19. Author: wc20Date: Mon, 7/15/2019, 7:06PM EST
All?
20. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Mon, 7/15/2019, 8:03PM EST
wc20 wrote:

No...
But if you want to smoke one right out of the freezer......well......that may be a problem.
21. Author: usafvet509Date: Mon, 7/15/2019, 8:58PM EST
Truth is harsh, son. I have gotten 2 boxes, 1 each from here and the mothership, on the same day. Night and day difference in their appearance, inside AND out, when received....
22. Author: izonfireDate: Mon, 7/15/2019, 9:18PM EST
wc20 wrote:

Don't think the vets would be doing it if there were any adverse effects. And actually, it may be beneficial. As the moisture in the leaves crystallizes, I would assume that it would break down the cellular composition of the leave, leading it to age quicker. It might be an interesting test to freeze half a box and then age them all in identical conditions...
____

As for your wet crotch, that's caused by the hot humid weather we've been having in conjunction with the speaking of your swamp ass. Freezing would be tough on yer nuts, but periodic super-cooling would be beneficial, with an occasional sprinkling of desiccant
23. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Mon, 7/15/2019, 9:30PM EST
wc20 wrote:

No...…...just lay them down for a decent nap after their chilled period.

I live in West Texas where summers can BLAZE.Keeping temps below 70 is almost impossible,this time of year my humidor temp runs 75-76 F at 60-63% humidity.Bout 10-12 years ago I had back to back beetle outbreaks.The first outbreak I only froze the infected box......the second I froze every cigar in my possession and everything that I've acquired since.Regardless of source or season they go down for the frozen nap.
24. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 7/15/2019, 9:47PM EST
it works, and the cigars are just fine after.
whistleB has never lied to me.
25. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Mon, 7/15/2019, 9:51PM EST
frankj1 wrote:

whistleB has never lied to me.

I would never schit my favorite turd
26. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 7/15/2019, 9:55PM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
I would never schit my favorite turd

thanks?
27. Author: USNGunnerDate: Tue, 7/16/2019, 12:55AM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
No...…...just lay them down for a decent nap after their chilled period.

I live in West Texas where summers can BLAZE.Keeping temps below 70 is almost impossible,this time of year my humidor temp runs 75-76 F at 60-63% humidity.Bout 10-12 years ago I had back to back beetle outbreaks.The first outbreak I only froze the infected box......the second I froze every cigar in my possession and everything that I've acquired since.Regardless of source or season they go down for the frozen nap.

****. Now you tell me. d'oh!

I've to two deep tuppadores of smokes I have to freeze? Holy merde!

Well, I'll do the boxes first I guess. The Room 101's immediately. :D
28. Author: debateptxDate: Fri, 7/26/2019, 2:03AM EST
LIFE UPDATE: so far I have successfully abstained from smoking the original shipment.

HOWEVER, I have already toasted up 5 sticks from my second shipment that included 10 cigars shipped either in foil with boveda or in a traveldor with humicare water pillow. Second order was all variations of Rocky Patels (I really dig their Edge Maduro).

Both the Vintage 1990 & Decade have been tasty and pleasant milder-body smokes, but neither have really got me buzzing. The Decade had SIGNIFICANT BURN ISSUES (came in foil packaging is a little box-pressed). No burn issues on the 1990s whatsoever tho.

REALLY looking forward to being able to dive into the Edge Maduros.

Also (accidentally) ordered some singles of the Edge Corojos - auction picture was of the black as hell Edge Maduro - so really disappointed there TBH - only as many Edge Maduros as I thought I was ordering.

This is such a vast improvement to
29. Author: tonygrazDate: Fri, 7/26/2019, 7:50AM EST
Mind if we call you D-Bait ? You haven't answered the questions yet.
30. Author: izonfireDate: Fri, 7/26/2019, 1:42PM EST
tonygraz wrote:
Mind if we call you D-Bait ? You haven't answered the questions yet.

He's still debating whether he should continue his partial transgender operations, and where he wants to put those knobs, buttons and levers and such.
We may need to give this one some extra time...
31. Author: dstiegerDate: Fri, 7/26/2019, 2:35PM EST
debateptx wrote:

Also (accidentally) ordered some singles of the Edge Corojos - auction picture was of the black as hell Edge Maduro - so really disappointed there TBH - only as many Edge Maduros as I thought I was ordering.

This is such a vast improvement to

Edge Corojos are 100x better than Edge maddies. And BONUS, they won't stain your fingers.

Edge corojo is the only RP I smoke any more....I did bid on a few cammies someone recommended, but never won any. I guess I didn't mind the SG's, but haven't had one in a while.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic