Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev12NextLast
Gen. Mattis Mad-Dogs Trump
1. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 6/3/2020, 8:29PM EST
Former Secretary of Defense Gen. James Mattis, one of the Trump's best Generals, has finally had enough of his avowed silence since he resigned a year and a half ago. His resignation letter showed that he and Trump were not on the same page regarding foreign policy, but he said he would maintain his silence for a period of time.

well...it's time...Mattis' latest article, printed in the Atlantic, shows that his differences with Trump regarding domestic policy are even deeper.

Here are some quotes from Mattis' letter:

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us,” Mattis writes. “We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership...."

He goes on to contrast the American ethos of unity with Nazi ideology. “Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that ‘The Nazi slogan for destroying us … was “Divide and Conquer.” Our American answer is “In Union there is Strength.”’ We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.”

"Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

link to full article and Gen. Mattis' letter: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/james-mattis-denounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/

2. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 6/3/2020, 8:31PM EST
well, I’ll bet Trump did Nazi that coming!

sorry - could not resist.
3. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 6/3/2020, 8:39PM EST
Mattis on the use of US Military on US soil:

“We must reject any thinking of our cities as a ‘battlespace’ that our uniformed military is called upon to ‘dominate.’ At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them."
4. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 6/3/2020, 8:42PM EST
Where was mad dog during three years of being complicit with this ****. It’s nice but where the **** has he been?
5. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 6/3/2020, 8:52PM EST
he vowed that he would be silent to give the administration room to run the country, without interference, when he resigned a year and a half ago...he served less than two years...his resignation letter signaled deep and irreconcilable differences between he and Trump...but he refused to go into detail...

guess the use of the military and Trump's jaunt across the park was the straw that broke his silence...

I think this is significant...Mattis still has cred among many older conservatives and within the military ranks...this public evisceration of Trump a few months before the election hurts Trump's bid for a second term...read the letter carefully, and that seems to be Mattis' point...
6. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 6/3/2020, 9:05PM EST
He should have spoken up while in office and left if necessary. Not the way he did. I’m glad he’s speaking up now but I think he should have earlier. Same with Kelly, Esper, and Milley.
7. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 6/3/2020, 9:15PM EST
Mattis calls them out
8. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 6/3/2020, 10:26PM EST

And just like that, the haters became huge fans of a representative of the military industrial complex.
9. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 6/3/2020, 10:29PM EST
Not me.
10. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 6/3/2020, 10:30PM EST
Check your 401k. You prolly are.
11. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 6/3/2020, 10:36PM EST
I don’t have Mattis in any of my accounts.
12. Author: ZRX1200Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 1:21AM EST
I love the smell of conformation bias in the evening....
13. Author: rfenstDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 5:14AM EST
Gene363 wrote:
And just like that, the haters became huge fans of a representative of the military industrial complex.

He said what he thinks. He was on the inside. The credibility one gives him is a personal choice. Why do you believe he is biased or untruthful?

Jim Mattis
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Civilian career...

Mattis in 2016
After retiring from the military, Mattis worked for FWA Consultants and served as a member of the General Dynamics Board of Directors.[73] Between 2013 and 2017, while on the board of General Dynamics, Mattis made more than $900,000 in compensation, including company stock.[75] In August 2013, he was appointed an Annenberg Distinguished Visiting Fellow at the Hoover Institution[76] and in 2016 he was named the Davies Family Distinguished Visiting Fellow.[77]

In December 2015, Mattis joined the advisory board[78] of Spirit of America, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides assistance to support the safety and success of American service personnel and the local people they seek to help.

He is co-editor of the book Warriors & Citizens: American Views of Our Military, published in August 2016.[79]

From 2013 to January 2017, Mattis was a board member of Theranos, a health technology company that claimed to have devised revolutionary blood tests using very small amounts of blood.[80][81][82][83] Previously, in mid-2012, a Department of Defense official evaluating Theranos's blood-testing technology for the military initiated a formal inquiry with the Food and Drug Administration about the company's intent to distribute its tests without FDA clearance. In August 2012 Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes asked Mattis, who had expressed interest in testing Theranos's technology in combat areas, to help. Within hours, Mattis forwarded his email exchange with Holmes to military officials, asking "how do we overcome this new obstacle". In July 2013 the Department of Defense gave Mattis permission to join Theranos's board provided he did not represent Theranos with regard to the blood-testing device and its potential acquisition by the Departments of the Navy or Defense.[84]

In 2019, Mattis's book Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead was published.[85] It is an autobiography as well as an argument in favor of an internationalist foreign policy.[86] On August 7, 2019, Mattis was re-elected to the board of General Dynamics.[87]

Secretary of Defense (2017–2019)
Nomination and confirmation

Mattis with President Trump and Vice President Pence
Then-president-elect Donald Trump met with Mattis for a little over one hour in Bedminster, New Jersey, on November 20, 2016.[88] He later wrote on Twitter, "General James 'Mad Dog' Mattis, who is being considered for secretary of defense, was very impressive yesterday. A true General's General!"[89] On December 1, 2016, Trump announced at a rally in Cincinnati that he would nominate Mattis for secretary of defense.[90]

As Mattis retired from the military in 2013, his nomination required a waiver of the National Security Act of 1947, which requires a seven-year waiting period before retired military personnel can assume the role of secretary of defense.[90] Mattis was the second secretary of defense to receive such a waiver, following George Marshall.[90] The waiver for Mattis passed 81–17 in the Senate, and 268–151 in the House. Mattis was subsequently confirmed as secretary of defense by a vote of 98–1 in the United States Senate on January 20, 2017.[91] Senator Kirsten Gillibrand was the sole "no" vote,[92] stating that she was opposed to the waiver on principle.[93]

Tenure

Mattis and Turkish Defense Minister Nurettin Canikli at NATO headquarters in Brussels, February 2018
In a January 2017 phone call with Saudi Arabia's deputy crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, Mattis "reaffirmed the importance of the US–Saudi Arabia strategic relationship".[94]

For his first official trip abroad, Mattis began a two-day visit with longtime US ally South Korea on February 2, 2017.[5] He warned North Korea that "any attack on the United States, or our allies, will be defeated", and any use of nuclear weapons would be met with an "effective and overwhelming" response from the United States.[6] During a press conference in London on March 31, 2017, with his UK counterpart Secretary of State for Defence Michael Fallon, Mattis said North Korea was behaving "in a very reckless manner" and must be stopped.[95] During a Pentagon news conference on May 26, Mattis reported the US was working with the UN, China, Japan, and South Korea to avoid "a military solution" with North Korea.[96] On June 3 Mattis said the United States regarded North Korea as "clear and present danger" during a speech at the international security conference in Singapore.[97] In a June 12 written statement to the House Armed Services Committee Mattis said North Korea was the "most urgent and dangerous threat to peace and security".[98] On June 15 Mattis said the US would win a war against North Korea, but "at great cost".[99]

On March 22, 2017, during questioning from the US Senate, Mattis affirmed his support for US troops remaining in Iraq after the Battle of Mosul was concluded.[100] Mattis responded to critics who suggested the Trump administration had loosened the rules of engagement for the US military in Iraq after US-led coalition airstrikes in Mosul killed civilians,[101] saying, "We go out of our way to always do everything humanly possible to reduce the loss of life or injury among innocent people."[102] According to Airwars, the US-led coalition killed as many as 6,000 civilians in Iraq and Syria in 2017.[103]

Mattis and Marise Payne inspecting the Australia's Federation Guard in Sydney.
On April 5, 2017, Mattis called the Khan Shaykhun chemical attack "a heinous act," and said it would be treated accordingly.[104] On April 10 Mattis warned the Syrian government against using chemical weapons again.[105] The following day, Mattis gave his first Pentagon news conference since becoming secretary of defense, saying ISIL's defeat remained "our priority," and the Syrian government would pay a "very, very stiff price" for further usage of chemical weapons.[106] On April 21 Mattis said Syria still had chemical weapons and was in violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions.[107] According to investigative journalist Bob Woodward, Trump ordered Mattis to assassinate Assad, but Mattis refused.[108] On May 8 Mattis told reporters details of the proposed Syrian safe zones were "all in process right now" and the United States was involved with configuring them.[109]

Mattis voiced support for a Saudi Arabian-led military campaign against Yemen's Shiite rebels.[110] He asked Trump to remove restrictions on US military support for Saudi Arabia.[111]

On April 20, 2017, one week after the Nangarhar airstrike, Mattis told reporters that the US would not conduct a damage assessment "in terms of the number of people killed" in Afghanistan.[112] Mattis traveled to Afghanistan days later and met with government officials, explaining that the purpose of the trip was to allow him to state his recommendations for US strategy in the country.[113] On June 13, Mattis said US forces were "not winning" in Afghanistan and the administration would develop a new strategy by "mid-July" while speaking to the United States Senate Committee on Armed Services.[114] On June 27 Mattis told reporters that he was creating a conflict-ending strategy for Afghanistan that would also "remove the danger to the Afghan people and to us and to all the nations that have been attacked by terrorist groups out of that region".[115] On June 29 Mattis said the Obama administration "may have pulled our troops out too rapidly" and that he intended to submit a new Afghanistan strategy to Trump upon his return to Washington, D.C.[116]

The United States has been openly arming the Syrian Kurdish fighters in the war against ISIL since May 2017.[117] Following the start of the Turkish invasion of northern Syria aimed at ousting US-backed Syrian Kurds from the enclave of Afrin, Mattis said in January 2018: "Turkey is a NATO ally. It's the only NATO country with an active insurgency inside its borders. And Turkey has legitimate security concerns."[118] Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdağ urged the United States to halt its support for Kurdish YPG fighters, saying: "Those who support the terrorist organization will become a target in this battle."[119]

Resignation letter from Secretary James Mattis
In November 2018 the CIA assessed with "high confidence" that Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman ordered the assassination of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.[120] Under mounting pressure from lawmakers who wanted action against Saudi Arabia, Mattis and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in a rare closed briefing of the Senate, disputed the CIA's conclusion and declared there was no direct evidence linking the crown prince to Khashoggi's assassination.[121]

On December 19, 2018, Trump announced immediate US withdrawal from Syria, over the objections of his national security advisers.[122] Mattis had recently said that the US would remain in Syria following the defeat of ISIL to ensure they did not regroup. The next day, he submitted his resignation after failing to persuade Trump to reconsider.[123][124] His resignation letter contained language that appeared to criticize Trump's worldview—praising NATO, which Trump has often derided, and the 79-nation Defeat-ISIS coalition that Trump had just decided to abandon. Mattis also affirmed the need for "treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors," and remaining "resolute and unambiguous" against authoritarian states such as China and Russia. He wrote that Trump has "the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with [his] on these and other subjects."[125][126] His resignation triggered alarm among historical allies.[127] Mattis's letter said his resignation would be effective February 28, 2019.[128] Three days later Trump moved Mattis's departure date up to January 1, after becoming angered by the implicit criticism of Trump's worldview in the resignation letter.[129] On January 2, 2019, Trump criticized Mattis's performance as secretary of defense and said he had "essentially fired him."[130]

Post-tenure
After leaving the White House, Mattis initially declined to offer his opinion on the performance of the administration, stating: "If you leave an administration, you owe some silence",[131] however, he since has voiced his opinion of two separate occasions.

Al Smith Dinner comments
At the October 17, 2019 Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner, Mattis as the keynote speaker responded to comments Trump made about him, saying, "I’m not just an overrated general, I am the greatest, the world’s most overrated ... I’m honored to be considered that by Donald Trump, because he also called Meryl Streep an overrated actress. So I guess I’m the Meryl Streep of generals, and frankly, that sounds pretty good to me. And you do have to admit that between me and Meryl, at least we've had some victories." He continued, "I've earned my spurs on the battlefield ... Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor."[132][133]

George Floyd protests
See also: George Floyd protests
On June 3, 2020 in a statement to The Atlantic, Mattis criticized Trump's response to the George Floyd protests, noting that Trump is "the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people", while saying that America is "witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership", and concluded by calling for accountability for "those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution."[134][135]

Trump responded by twitter that evening that he "felt great" he had previously asked Mattis to resign, and he didn't like much about Mattis or his "leadership style"... "Glad he is gone!"[136]
14. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 3:30PM EST
Gene363 wrote:

F**k Mattis!!!

but you hafta admit...you like it when we snuggle...
15. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 3:50PM EST
rfenst wrote:
He said what he thinks. He was on the inside. The credibility one gives him is a personal choice. Why do you believe he is biased or untruthful?]

Did you catch the part about him being on the board of directors for General Dynamics? How about he resigned because Trump pulled US troops out of Syria? Prolly not biased at all!

Remember when ****** Cheney came from Halliburton to be VP and some people lost their minds and some people thought it was a good pick?

The credibility one gives is generally driven by how close it matches one's biased preferred narrative.

16. Author: rfenstDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 4:18PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Did you catch the part about him being on the board of directors for General Dynamics? How about he resigned because Trump pulled US troops out of Syria? Prolly not biased at all!

Remember when ****** Cheney came from Halliburton to be VP and some people lost their minds and some people thought it was a good pick?

The credibility one gives is generally driven by how close it matches one's biased preferred narrative.

I didn't miss any of that. I just know that he has an opinion of Trump's capability. Bias preference is always a factor.
17. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 4:25PM EST
Would you have posted this thread if Mathis wrote an article saying the Trump is the best President of all time?
18. Author: rfenstDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 4:33PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Would you have posted this thread if Mathis wrote an article saying the Trump is the best President of all time?

No.
19. Author: teedubbyaDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 4:33PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:

And he didn’t. Lol.

And just like that mad dog lovers hate mad dog.
20. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 4:35PM EST
Herfing

Don’t get me wrong. I kinda liked Mathis and was on board with Pelosi and the Democrats wanting more dead Syrians. Trump screwed up a good thing and they all called him in it.

Welcome to being a big fan of the military industrial complex! We’ll send your ID card in the mail.
21. Author: teedubbyaDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 4:41PM EST
I liked him better before he became a gay Muslim democrat.
22. Author: rfenstDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 4:45PM EST
Whoa!
23. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 5:10PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:

no-bid Haliburton contract awards.
24. Author: SpeysideDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 5:12PM EST
I think I will believe a 4 star general before and ignorant POS.
25. Author: victor809Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 5:14PM EST
Speyside wrote:
I think I will believe anyone before our ignorant POS president.

FIFY....

26. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 5:15PM EST
Speyside wrote:
I think I will believe a 4 star general before and ignorant POS.

except if he's an admitted and convicted liar...
27. Author: Gene363Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 5:16PM EST
delta1 wrote:
F**k Mattis!!!

but you hafta admit...you like it when we snuggle...

I don't exactly like it, but it does make me giggle. Beer
28. Author: Gene363Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 5:26PM EST
rfenst wrote:
I didn't miss any of that. I just know that he has an opinion of Trump's capability. Bias preference is always a factor.

Gen. James Mattis is a good guy, he took good care of his troops and for that he is a asset to the nation. That said, he is a creature of the Pentagon, a military guy and like the guy with a hammer and who sees every problem as a nail, Mattis is is military guy and tends to want to solve problems in a military way, e.g., Syria.

God bless Gen. James Mattis, but he is probbly not the guy you want to be running the country.
29. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 5:34PM EST
most generals wouldn't want that job...some have been fine: Eisenhower, Washington, Grant...others have been great at advising POTUS - George Marshall epitomizes them

I applaud Mattis because he has stuck his neck out in a way and at a time when many of his peers haven't, and spoken truth to power...

and also because I agree with what he said
30. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:08PM EST
Gene363 wrote:
Gen. James Mattis is a good guy, he took good care of his troops and for that he is a asset to the nation. That said, he is a creature of the Pentagon, a military guy and like the guy with a hammer and who sees every problem as a nail, Mattis is is military guy and tends to want to solve problems in a military way, e.g., Syria.

God bless Gen. James Mattis, but he is probbly not the guy you want to be running the country.

and yet he does not see the military as the proper move to make...in these times.

makes his rejection of this nail more admirable, going against his nature and all...no?
31. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:11PM EST
delta1 wrote:
most generals wouldn't want that job...some have been fine: Eisenhower, Washington, Grant...others have been great at advising POTUS - George Marshall epitomizes them

I applaud Mattis because he has stuck his neck out in a way and at a time when many of his peers haven't, and spoken truth to power...

and also because I agree with what he said

all living presidents and a few GOP not afraid of Trump crushing are stepping up.
Not just Romney either.

32. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:20PM EST
being critical of a POTUS during a crisis, after having served in his cabinet, is unusual...

lotsa weird unusual stuff has happened while Trump has been running the country

33. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:32PM EST
the turnover has been mind boggling.
and creates vulnerability
34. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:45PM EST
Kinda funny though that he mentions calling out the military if the civilian leadership can’t get the job done and almost immediately all looting and rioting has stopped.
35. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:48PM EST
delta1 wrote:

lotsa weird unusual stuff has happened while Trump has been running the country

That’s what I said when I saw African American unemployment at the lowest ever.

I think the unusual stuff was sorta the whole “drain the swamp” thing. Perhaps we’ve learned that we would prefer to refill the swamp.
36. Author: SpeysideDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:55PM EST
Seems like civilian leadership did the job! Good catch HD. Maybe charging all 4 cops and increasing the murders charge to 2nd degree stopped the rioting and looting. Just saying.
37. Author: SpeysideDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:58PM EST
Oh, how does the economy relate to the rioting and looting? That seemed like a strange segway as you became specific to something not about this post and delta made a generalization.
38. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:58PM EST
the rioting and looting was not protesting.
It was criminal activity not even pretending to honor the dead man.

but the protesting may have had an effect.
39. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 6:59PM EST
strain the swamp, HD, not drain it.
and keep the big pieces.
40. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 7:01PM EST
Exactly. The civilian leadership taking a tougher stance with bringing in the national guard, curfews, and firing tear gas eliminated the need for the full military. Pretty much exactly what Trump told them to do.

Might have been a little bit of the Covid kicking in as well.
41. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 7:05PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
strain the swamp, HD, not drain it.
and keep the big pieces.

I’m with ya! Play the swamp right and it will treat you well. No need to drain.
42. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 7:07PM EST
Speyside wrote:
Oh, how does the economy relate to the rioting and looting? That seemed like a strange segway as you became specific to something not about this post and delta made a generalization.

Rioting and looting generally are perceived as negatives towards economic development and growth.

I was responding to the comment about weird stuff happening happening while Trump is running the country so there’s no segway
43. Author: SpeysideDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 7:09PM EST
You might be correct. As it was only a threat since it is illegal. Whatever turned this seemingly peaceful is great. Watching jobs for poor people and small business owners in poor areas was and is sad.
44. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 6/4/2020, 7:21PM EST
It is a shame what we’ve done to small business owners and the lower and middle class that got arbitrarily got deemed non-essential and put now 43 million out of work because of Covid.

Now we added looting and rioting to it to finish them off.

The S&P 500 is doing fine though. Big corporate got a bail out in the first stimulus package and they’re all essential businesses. Gen Z and millennials are gonna get one heck of a bill for the wealth transfer to the boomers under the cover of Covid!
45. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/4/2020, 7:22PM EST
what turned it peaceful was the stores ran out of men's extra large clothing.
46. Author: xibbumberoDate: Sat, 6/6/2020, 6:19PM EST
Bunker boy got PO'd and called Mattis the most overated General...ever. Took his football,Melania,Baron and went on an inspection of his bunker. X Laugh
47. Author: xibbumberoDate: Sat, 6/6/2020, 6:22PM EST
Double post. X Frying pan
48. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sat, 6/6/2020, 7:47PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
It is a shame what we’ve done to small business owners and the lower and middle class that got arbitrarily got deemed non-essential and put now 43 million out of work because of Covid.

Now we added looting and rioting to it to finish them off.

The S&P 500 is doing fine though. Big corporate got a bail out in the first stimulus package and they’re all essential businesses. Gen Z and millennials are gonna get one heck of a bill for the wealth transfer to the boomers under the cover of Covid!

So, Mortimer...its a buy?
49. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 6/6/2020, 8:56PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
So, Mortimer...its a buy?

looking good!
50. Author: SpeysideDate: Sat, 6/6/2020, 9:04PM EST
HD, were they arbitrarily deemed non essential, or arbitrarily destroyed? It seems to me the economy was arbitrarily deemed non essential.
FirstPrev12NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic