Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev12NextLast
Has anyone really got a cigar for a $1.00?
1. Author: GiantRicanDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 4:18AM EST
Herfing just a thought I've been on here for like a minute and wondered if anyone ever got a cigar for $1.00? I bit earlier on one a 5 pack and now it's up like $10.00. I question is it someone pushing it or cigarbid in general pushing the bids in a fake fashion to gain more cash for the sticks? What are your thoughts?
2. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 4:50AM EST
GiantRican wrote:
Herfing just a thought I've been on here for like a minute and wondered if anyone ever got a cigar for $1.00? I bit earlier on one a 5 pack and now it's up like $10.00. I question is it someone pushing it or cigarbid in general pushing the bids in a fake fashion to gain more cash for the sticks? What are your thoughts?

I’ve never won a bid for anything at the $1.00 opening amount (...$2.00 is the closest I ever got...) but did manage to win a bundle (20) of Xikar HC Maduro Robustos for $16 so each cigar was $0.80.

There are some that feel there are some shenanigans regarding pushing up the prices but no one has ever proved it.

Btw, Frankie and Tony should be here shortly.... :-"
3. Author: Mrs. dpnewellDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 9:30AM EST
In the past 2 months I've won 300 to 400 cigars for $1. And no, none where Gurhkas, RPs, ABs, Diesels or CI house brands. All name brands in the $7 to $11 range. Sadly the ingits are back, and many of these cigars that I won weeks ago for a buck are now closing at as high as $3 to $4. I will be receiving a shipment today of 44 $1 cigars, but that may be the last of them.

David
4. Author: NumismaniacDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 9:41AM EST
David here is the resident "1 buck expert".

I have bought some VERY CHEAP Xikar cutters and lighters as well. Usually on off days, some Holidays, just seems to take spells, sometimes. BUT, yes, you can get some REAL bargains by being patient and willing to bid often and cheap, just have to be patient.
5. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 9:49AM EST
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
In the past 2 months I've won 300 to 400 cigars for $1. And no, none where Gurhkas, RPs, ABs, Diesels or CI house brands. All name brands in the $7 to $11 range. Sadly the ingits are back, and many of these cigars that I won weeks ago for a buck are now closing at as high as $3 to $4. I will be receiving a shipment today of 44 $1 cigars, but that may be the last of them.

David

^this.
There are a handful of cigars, in fivers, that I’ve won for $6, that are decent yard gars made by AJ (MoWPAs, Ruinations) and one or two other blenders.
Let em sit for 6 months or more, good $1 knock around cigar.

But I’m slowly becoming an “elitist” I suppose, as I now focus on winning “good” cigars for $4 or so.
Last time I checked, I think I’m down to 20 or so “yard gars”............by my definition.
Between pipe baccy, and generally smoking less, I think my yard gar days are coming to an end.
6. Author: midmofanDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 11:57AM EST
GiantRican wrote:

Do not forget shipping as well, unless buying in large quantities that adds a big % to a small purchase, which makes it pretty difficult to actually get a cigar for a dollar.

"Back in the Day" there were yard-gar 5'ers that you could get for for $1-2 and shipping was cheaper, so you actually could get a cigar for under a $1, but those days are pretty much gone.

The tenskie place has a single sale on right now where you can get some decent, although not name-brand, smokes for under $2 with shipping, but you do have to order at least 4. Grabbed some off the Class 34 Maduros at that price and also a few of the more expensive ones I have always wanted to try but didn't want to spring for a whole box or pack until tried them.
7. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 1/21/2020, 12:32PM EST
Palama wrote:

Btw, Frankie and Tony should be here shortly.... Whistle

not feeling it today.
8. Author: Pudding MittensDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 3:03PM EST
Numismaniac wrote:
I have bought some VERY CHEAP Xikar cutters and lighters as well.

Speaking of, the Turrim single in "wrinkle black", which is an awesome lighter in an awesome textured finish (I have two!) is on Freefall right now and is dropping as low as $22.xx as I'm watching, which is a great price:

https://www.cigarbid.com...urrim-lighters/3453430/

Big fuel window where the butane looks like it's tinted red on a white background so it's super easy to read, big-ass elongated tank that takes advantage of the lighter's shape to hold far more butane than other lighters, love that feeling in the hand, and it's literally 4.5x50 like a Rothschild cigar so you can stash it in any cigar-holding case.

If you get one, make sure to watch Xikar's YouTube video about adjusting the range of the flame-height knob. Turrims (single and double) often come from the factory set too low, but in 2 minutes you can easily set the knob's range higher to make nice tall flames, if you know how, and have a little screwdriver and needle-nosed pliers. Watch the video!

Also they have the new Xikar "Enso" cutter, based on the XO but with a single, manually-operated slide "wing" instead of two spring-loaded ones, 30% thinner, silver. I just saw it drop to $53.xx:

https://www.cigarbid.com...-cutter-silver/3453419/

Even though thinner than the XO, it's still much thicker than an Xi1/2/3 or X8/M8, and thus harder to tell where you're actually cutting on the cigar. Plus it's silver which is boring, the Enso comes in quite a few vibrant and more interesting colors. Also no spring loading == "meh" not as fun as XO. The black plastic taking up most of the unit, which they try to spin positively as "armor" that "protects" the metal finish, is marketing B.S. because it doesn't really protect much of anything, if you drop it and it lands on the metal bits which are a large percentage of the surface, it's going to leave a mark. "Armor" covers everything, not half. They should've made it all-metal like the XO which looks much better, IMO. I'll pass on the Enso and stick with my XOs.

Still, if you really want one, $53.xx is cheap considering it's a brand spankin' new release.
9. Author: Mrs. dpnewellDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 6:41PM EST
Here's an example. I'm only showing these because I have 20, and only smoke them on the 4th of July, so I'm done buying them for many years to come.

What I pay:
https://www.cigarbid.com...merica-potomac/3425265/

What the ingits pay:
https://www.cigarbid.com...merica-potomac/3352162/

David
10. Author: USNGunnerDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 7:00PM EST
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
Here's an example. I'm only showing these because I have 20, and only smoke them on the 4th of July, so I'm done buying them for many years to come.

What I pay:
https://www.cigarbid.com...merica-potomac/3425265/

What the ingits pay:
https://www.cigarbid.com...merica-potomac/3352162/

David

Nice. Yeah, it's frustrating sometimes. All will be going well, good pricing, and some yahoo goes nuts. Oh well, there will be another.
11. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 9:12PM EST
USNGunner wrote:
Nice. Yeah, it's frustrating sometimes. All will be going well, good pricing, and some yahoo goes nuts. Oh well, there will be another.

Yah.........there has been some serious snipers these last few weeks..........oh well........try again later
12. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 1/21/2020, 9:22PM EST
Numismaniac wrote:
David here is the resident "1 buck expert".

I have bought some VERY CHEAP Xikar cutters and lighters as well. Usually on off days, some Holidays, just seems to take spells, sometimes. BUT, yes, you can get some REAL bargains by being patient and willing to bid often and cheap, just have to be patient.

I too have a few Xikar cutters and lighters won here for cheap (...or for much less than previous winners...) and patience was certainly the key.
13. Author: BlackboyDate: Thu, 1/23/2020, 9:49AM EST
I think they do. I see open bids all the time and bid on them. It. One back multiple times “you did not win this bid”
I guess its all about the Algorithms.
14. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 1/23/2020, 10:19AM EST
GiantRican wrote:

BOXES OF '64 PADRONS FOR A BUCK!!!!

I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT!
15. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Thu, 1/23/2020, 11:13AM EST
Blackboy wrote:
I think they do. I see open bids all the time and bid on them. It. One back multiple times “you did not win this bid”
I guess its all about the Algorithms.

Read this a few times.

Yes..........it’s all about the Algorithms, on the Open Bids.....then It........multiple times......and you will not win the bid.
You’ve figured “It” out quickly. I think they do, so bid on them.
16. Author: IcanAffordThis?Date: Wed, 8/5/2020, 9:58PM EST
I see many auctions with a single bid or two bids, jumping the price right up to $2 a cigar. I keep seeing it, it's like there is a computer looking for low bids and bumping the prices up to the $2 a cigar amount. Very strange.
17. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 8/5/2020, 10:32PM EST
I heard Trump is threatening to make this place mail-in bids only.
18. Author: izonfireDate: Wed, 8/5/2020, 10:39PM EST
GiantRican wrote:

Well, I think you’re on to something there buddy.
I’ve noticed that all my $1 bids get jacked up for no reason.
Like somebody doesn’t really want the cigars, it’s more like they’re just fucquin with ya.

Ya know?...
19. Author: tonygrazDate: Sun, 8/9/2020, 8:41PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
I heard Trump is threatening to make this place mail-in bids only.

I heard he wanted to push the closing dates a up couple of weeks.
20. Author: tank71663Date: Sun, 8/9/2020, 9:19PM EST
Years ago... routinely... now...DOUBTFUL..
21. Author: midmofanDate: Mon, 8/10/2020, 10:36AM EST
tank71663 wrote:
Years ago... routinely... now...DOUBTFUL..

Yeah, it USED to happen - even factoring in shipping if you ordered several batches of cigars together. I would often pick up a cheap 5-er along of something when I had a "real" order going in anyway.

Not on top-line smokes of course, but on decent yard-gar's and items for the mooch-a-dor.

My fav $1 (sometimes even a bit less) purchase was the Gran Habano Vintages. Not a great cigar, but not bad, and perfect for the backyard bbqs and parties we always had (pre-COVID) where I needed something to hand out to the non-regular cigar smokers around the fire-pit in the evening. They were never harsh, burned well (important for a noobie), and the cedar wrapper was impressive for those that didn't know any better! And, when the non-cigar smoker tossed it into the fire halfway through, I didn't wince....

Indeed, you could even get 5-packs of things like Victor Sinclairs for $.50 per. While some of these are so bad you could put a Gurkha label on them and nobody would notice, a few versions were acceptable enough for smoking while moving around on the boat where there was a good chance they (and I) would get splashed at any moment or where I was smoking a rack of ribs or pork loin where i was getting more smoke from the pit then the cigar.

There were actually some AMAZINGLY good cigars you could get for $1 back when CI/Cbid had their "Blendlab" cigars. These were mostly test, experimental, or discontinued blends that only had a "secret" code on them. so you theoretically did not know what they were - but with a little effort you could figure them out.

Alas, not for a long time. These days around here, the "deals" on the low-end stuff is usually not worth the the price difference between them and something a LOT better.
22. Author: McdanielsamuelDate: Mon, 8/10/2020, 2:17PM EST
My best 'deal' that I've had on cbid:
https://www.cigarbid.com...-double-corona/3630337/

But midmofan is right, lots of low-end stuff for cheap, but not necessarily a 'deal'.
23. Author: midmofanDate: Mon, 8/10/2020, 2:41PM EST
Mcdanielsamuel wrote:
My best 'deal' that I've had on cbid:
https://www.cigarbid.com...-double-corona/3630337/

But midmofan is right, lots of low-end stuff for cheap, but not necessarily a 'deal'.

Well, never had a Vegas that I really liked, but those are probably no worse than the VS stuff, so - if you had an order in already for something you really like (so shipping doesn't kill you) - and need something a step-up from a White Owl, that't not a bad deal.
24. Author: PalamaDate: Mon, 8/10/2020, 3:02PM EST
midmofan wrote:
Well, never had a Vegas that I really liked, but those are probably no worse than the VS stuff, so - if you had an order in already for something you really like (so shipping doesn't kill you) - and need something a step-up from a White Owl, that't not a bad deal.

Yah, same here. I'm not sure I even placed a bid on them at all.
25. Author: McdanielsamuelDate: Mon, 8/10/2020, 3:03PM EST
What's wrong with White Owl's 🦉?
26. Author: madspacklerDate: Mon, 8/10/2020, 10:07PM EST
Do you really want to smoke a cigar that no one else believed was worth a buck?
Best best for good deals is on 5ers after holidays and during slow periods of the year. I have picked up some good deals thru the years. Be patient.
27. Author: ZRX1200Date: Mon, 8/10/2020, 11:16PM EST
White Owl Pine Apples are the best
28. Author: tonygrazDate: Tue, 8/11/2020, 12:24PM EST
Can't beat the White Owl Grapefruit in the morning.
29. Author: gummy jonesDate: Tue, 8/11/2020, 4:24PM EST
i usually get them for free from the brothers/sisters here but writing a well timed mooch post

bunch of suckers
30. Author: 24132413Date: Sun, 8/16/2020, 5:53PM EST

I've heard of CHEAP, but $1 cheap. WTF!!!! Don't be an ass!!!! God loves you and so do I. Message me anytime for some leads on what to bid so you can finally win some decent smokes. $1 LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
31. Author: tonygrazDate: Sun, 8/16/2020, 6:03PM EST
Getting harder and harder to get a $ 1 cigar, but it still can happen. DPN could do it and so have I.
32. Author: borndead1Date: Mon, 8/17/2020, 7:38PM EST
Many moons ago, I got a bundle of 20 Tierra del Sol (CI exclusive bundle from Perdomo) for $10. They were pretty decent, honestly.

The only other $1 cigars I got were these nasty sh*t sticks that I agreed to smoke for a dog rocket challenge. Bermuda or Bermudez or something.
33. Author: 24132413Date: Tue, 8/18/2020, 3:26AM EST
There are several cigars being offered up in boat loads here you can get for $1.50 per cigar or less. The 7" x 50 Oliva Protege Connecticut & Habano Churchill's are two solid smokes. Got a Pack of 20 of each for $24 and $26. Other cheapos that are at least average I have gotten recently here at CigarBid for around $1.50 are:

5 Vegas Big Five (medium)
5 Vegas Gold (mild)
5 Vegas Series 'A' (medium)
Alec Bradley Tempus Fumas (medium to full)
Brickhouse Connecticut Fumas (mild)
Drew Estates Factory Smokes Connecticut & Maduro (Mild to medium) (Just BUY them at C.I.)
La Perla Habana Classic Cameroon (medium)
Obsidian Red Rum (Medium to full)
Rocky Patel Strada (mild+)
Rocky Patel Edge Fumas Royale (medium)

Herfing

34. Author: midmofanDate: Tue, 8/18/2020, 12:48PM EST
24132413 wrote:
There are several cigars being offered up in boat loads here you can get for $1.50 per cigar or less. The 7" x 50 Oliva Protege Connecticut & Habano Churchill's are two solid smokes. Got a Pack of 20 of each for $24 and $26. Other cheapos that are at least average I have gotten recently here at CigarBid for around $1.50 are:

5 Vegas Big Five (medium)
5 Vegas Gold (mild)
5 Vegas Series 'A' (medium)
Alec Bradley Tempus Fumas (medium to full)
Brickhouse Connecticut Fumas (mild)
Drew Estates Factory Smokes Connecticut & Maduro (Mild to medium) (Just BUY them at C.I.)
La Perla Habana Classic Cameroon (medium)
Obsidian Red Rum (Medium to full)
Rocky Patel Strada (mild+)
Rocky Patel Edge Fumas Royale (medium)

Herfing

Ahhh, memories of dumpster diving!

I have had most of those at one time or the other. Of them:

Can't recommend 5 Vegas for $1, let alone $1.50. Gotten just about every kind at one time or another in different samplers, including those listed, and never had one that was a good smoke. The Vegas Gold, however, is useful for chomping on as an unlit cigar when playing poker, holds up well!

The Tempus is nothing special but not bad. quality of the "roll" is inconsistent which seems common with all the Fumas I have had.

Likewise the Brickhouse Fumas (both the connie and other versions) all taste very good but they always seem to have a plug, a stick, rock-hard spot, a tunnel or something wrong at some point - usually about 1/3 of the way in. Get past that and they are fine.

La Perla Cameroon is actually a nice smoke. I like the flavor, but it is not packed very firmly at all. Burns quickly and does not last very long.

Had a couple of the DE factories at the Superstore... Pass!

With just a couple of exceptions, I don't care for most Rocky's in normal format, let alone the low-end versions.

Never had the Obsidian Red Rum, what't it like?

In all instead of most of those at $1.50 (and that I do not believe includes shipping) I would rather go with "Bag o' 50" unbanded mystery bag sampler at the OMB3 place when it drops to $49, which it does periodically.

Now, on the other hand, the Oliva Habano is well worth the $1.50 or so. Very nice cigar for the price (don't care for the connie myself, but others I am sure do.)
35. Author: 24132413Date: Wed, 8/19/2020, 5:30AM EST
midmofan wrote:
Ahhh, memories of dumpster diving!

I have had most of those at one time or the other. Of them:

Can't recommend 5 Vegas for $1, let alone $1.50. Gotten just about every kind at one time or another in different samplers, including those listed, and never had one that was a good smoke. The Vegas Gold, however, is useful for chomping on as an unlit cigar when playing poker, holds up well!

The Tempus is nothing special but not bad. quality of the "roll" is inconsistent which seems common with all the Fumas I have had.

Likewise the Brickhouse Fumas (both the connie and other versions) all taste very good but they always seem to have a plug, a stick, rock-hard spot, a tunnel or something wrong at some point - usually about 1/3 of the way in. Get past that and they are fine.

La Perla Cameroon is actually a nice smoke. I like the flavor, but it is not packed very firmly at all. Burns quickly and does not last very long.

Had a couple of the DE factories at the Superstore... Pass!

With just a couple of exceptions, I don't care for most Rocky's in normal format, let alone the low-end versions.

Never had the Obsidian Red Rum, what't it like?

In all instead of most of those at $1.50 (and that I do not believe includes shipping) I would rather go with "Bag o' 50" unbanded mystery bag sampler at the OMB3 place when it drops to $49, which it does periodically.

Now, on the other hand, the Oliva Habano is well worth the $1.50 or so. Very nice cigar for the price (don't care for the connie myself, but others I am sure do.)

Best I can say about Obsidian Red Rum is it's somewhere in between Obsidian and Obsidian White Noise. More like White Noise but a little fuller. And ya La Perla Cameroon is a nice smooth medium smoke that may become a little more interesting after a few months of naked cedar aging.

36. Author: [email protected]Date: Wed, 12/1/2021, 9:33PM EST
KingoftheCove wrote:
^this.
There are a handful of cigars, in fivers, that I’ve won for $6, that are decent yard gars made by AJ (MoWPAs, Ruinations) and one or two other blenders.
Let em sit for 6 months or more, good $1 knock around cigar.

But I’m slowly becoming an “elitist” I suppose, as I now focus on winning “good” cigars for $4 or so.
Last time I checked, I think I’m down to 20 or so “yard gars”............by my definition.
Between pipe baccy, and generally smoking less, I think my yard gar days are coming to an end.

37. Author: [email protected]Date: Wed, 12/1/2021, 9:35PM EST
I
38. Author: LeeBotDate: Wed, 12/1/2021, 10:10PM EST
^Your thoughtful and elegantly concise comment on this post has made me re-think many things.
39. Author: izonfireDate: Wed, 12/1/2021, 10:17PM EST
Thank you Armondo.

You were able to sum up all those feelings
Which I have found so difficult to express.

Here, here!
Beer
40. Author: hinznaDate: Wed, 12/1/2021, 10:22PM EST
Your words have shook me to my core.
41. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 12/2/2021, 6:16AM EST

Jesus wept.
42. Author: ZRX1200Date: Thu, 12/2/2021, 3:29PM EST
I think I know someone who’s signed up for email alerts!!!
43. Author: tonygrazDate: Thu, 12/2/2021, 6:16PM EST
Getting a lot harder to get a cigar for a buck (actually $1.25 0r more for singles). Snipers are omnipresent and I have even seen a few bidders place their first bid higher than what I won fivers and ten packs a week or less before. Getting a deal is not easy any more and the time it takes is ever increasing. Diesels are not cheap any more.
44. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 12/2/2021, 10:52PM EST
LeeBot wrote:
^Your thoughtful and elegantly concise comment on this post has made me re-think many things.

understandable
45. Author: mike45567Date: Sun, 12/5/2021, 12:58PM EST
I once bought 60 in a Thompson sampler. And I smoked them.
Done most on this 24132413 list and many more for a $1 bid on cbid.
They were all a big improvement over Thomson sampler quality.
$2 gets better yet.
$10 tatuaje cohonu is as far up as I have traveled.
46. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Sun, 12/5/2021, 1:28PM EST
10 on a cojonu isn’t bad. I like all of those I’ve tried. Not sure what a 24132413 list is though.
47. Author: PalamaDate: Sun, 12/5/2021, 1:52PM EST
mike45567 wrote:
I once bought 60 in a (competitor) sampler. And I smoked them.
Done most on this 24132413 list and many more for a $1 bid on cbid.
They were all a big improvement over (competitor) sampler quality.
$2 gets better yet.
$10 tatuaje cohonu is as far up as I have traveled.

Hey Mike, you might wanna edit your post to change the competitor reference (…it’s against the rules of this forum…).

Even though CBid and your referenced competitor are owned by the same parent company, still a no-no.
48. Author: delta1Date: Sun, 12/5/2021, 3:04PM EST
Jakethesnake86 wrote:
10 on a cojonu isn’t bad. I like all of those I’ve tried. Not sure what a 24132413 list is though.

see post #33 ^
49. Author: mike45567Date: Tue, 12/14/2021, 7:57PM EST
Oops
Good advice. I can't figure out how to edit that post.
If I ever do, I will.
50. Author: mike45567Date: Tue, 12/14/2021, 7:59PM EST
That refers to the list of cigars on post 33 of this topic we whatever. I probably mistyped it.
FirstPrev12NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic