Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
I had really bad gas...
1. Author: CheapPrickDate: Mon, 1/25/2021, 10:59PM EST
I bought some butane at the grocery store and put it in a new lighter. It started lighting fine, then after a while, it began sputtering and taking more and more clicks to get it lit only to go out while toasting. I finally tossed it in the ole garbage receptacle. I liked that lighter, It was single torch with a huge reservoir that was nice and clear (see through)

I bought a new lighter on cbid, you know... the one that looks like an over sized zippo with a 5 Vegas logo on it....
I filled it and it worked fine, until my next fill up, then started sputtering and going out. It took multiple clicks to light, just to sputter out while toasting. I read to purge the lighter, so I purged away nearly a whole can and kept purging til that can was gone.

So I stop at a smoke shop and pick up a couple cigars and a can of NEON 5X premium butane. I filled my new lighter and it now lights first time every time with a glorious steady blue 3 torch flame.

Moral of the story? .... There isn't one, but I will never buy Ronson butane from the grocery store again. It cost me twice as much for 1/4 of the sub standard gas.
2. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 1/25/2021, 11:43PM EST
you gotta purge the lighter upside down AND right side up to get the gas and the air out.
3. Author: clintCigarDate: Mon, 1/25/2021, 11:47PM EST
Sometimes if u get the lighter lit and fart on the flame it will be a good purge.
4. Author: CheapPrickDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 12:21AM EST
frankj1 wrote:
you gotta purge the lighter upside down AND right side up to get the gas and the air out.

Yea... I tried that .. I'm convinced it was just crappy gas.. maybe moisture in the can?
5. Author: CheapPrickDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 12:22AM EST
clintCigar wrote:
Sometimes if u get the lighter lit and fart on the flame it will be a good purge.

Far too dangerous.
6. Author: izonfireDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 12:42AM EST
Always make sure to empty the chamber.
This was about stopping an imminent threat, right???
7. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 1:00AM EST
Hey cheap prick. I have been dealing with the same exact thing. Fasfil 5xrefined butane. All my lighters were /are doing the same.
I bought a can of colibri cheap my lighters are improving. They were just about not usable.
A good while back I bought an Alec Bradley “the burner” that lighter will burn anything so I’m just gonna use that can for that lighter. All my pocket lighters got screwed up though. I think the new butane is slowly cleaning them up or something. They’re working better now. Not back to perfect but I think they will be after a purge or few
8. Author: CheapPrickDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 1:12AM EST
Jakethesnake86 wrote:
Hey cheap prick. I have been dealing with the same exact thing. Fasfil 5xrefined butane. All my lighters were /are doing the same.
I bought a can of colibri cheap my lighters are improving. They were just about not usable.
A good while back I bought an Alec Bradley “the burner” that lighter will burn anything so I’m just gonna use that can for that lighter. All my pocket lighters got screwed up though. I think the new butane is slowly cleaning them up or something. They’re working better now. Not back to perfect but I think they will be after a purge or few

Yea.. I completely emptied my lighter of old fuel till I knew there was none left before refilling with the new fuel.
I squeezed that little nipple till there was nothing left to bleed.
works like a charm now.
9. Author: clintCigarDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 1:44AM EST
I've never had any issues with XIKAR High Performance or Neon 11x.
10. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 6:17AM EST
This is where the cheap fall by the wayside.

The sage advice, "You get what you pay for" is so true for hobbies and pastimes.
11. Author: Stogie1020Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 11:20AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
This is where the cheap fall by the wayside.

The sage advice, "You get what you pay for" is so true for hobbies and pastimes and hookers.

ThumpUp
12. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 11:32AM EST
Here are some interesting things about butane....

Did you know you can have 100x refined butane and it can still be dirty butane? It's easy, just start with really dirty butane...

the number of times you refine something only means anything if you're also revealing how pure the product was when you started refining it AND you reveal how effective your refining process is...

Butane companies don't do that... so you basically have 2 choices:

All of the butane available that are listed as 11x or 5x or 7x or any x amount of times refined... they're literally all exactly the same.... literally... including ronson...

Or you can purchase expensive butane which lists its purity in % Form... Xikar and Colibri are the two I'm aware of... they are 99.99999% pure and they're the only butane worth paying extra money for... and even then, they're only worth it if the lighter you're refilling is valuable... anything at the $20 mark and you're overspending on butane...
13. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 12:16PM EST
The colibri can be had very reasonably
14. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 12:20PM EST
It's $7/can vs $3 or $4 for the x refined stuff...
15. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 12:47PM EST
You are correct. I think I have around 5 for the yellow can
7 or 8 for the colibri. Considering the difference I was pretty happy. Bought two more cans of the colibri Some of that stuff is more than 7-8 bucks though.

It is considerably more expensive than the cheaper stuff that may or may not work
16. Author: CheapPrickDate: Wed, 1/27/2021, 1:45AM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
Here are some interesting things about butane....

Did you know you can have 100x refined butane and it can still be dirty butane? It's easy, just start with really dirty butane...

the number of times you refine something only means anything if you're also revealing how pure the product was when you started refining it AND you reveal how effective your refining process is...

Butane companies don't do that... so you basically have 2 choices:

All of the butane available that are listed as 11x or 5x or 7x or any x amount of times refined... they're literally all exactly the same.... literally... including ronson...

Or you can purchase expensive butane which lists its purity in % Form... Xikar and Colibri are the two I'm aware of... they are 99.99999% pure and they're the only butane worth paying extra money for... and even then, they're only worth it if the lighter you're refilling is valuable... anything at the $20 mark and you're overspending on butane...

I don't know.... I clicked my new lighter so many times to get torch, I finally gave up and lit up on the stove. When I went from Ronson to Neon 5x, I had instant gratification. My lighter torches first click every time now. I'm so happy! Beer
17. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 1/27/2021, 1:13PM EST
I'm using Xikar Purofine Premium...some of my lighters, including both tables and a couple Xikars are not lighting; one will light randomly and another will light after several clicks, but have only an half inch flame despite the adjustment screw at max +

waiting for the lockdown to lift so I can visit the cigar lounge in Glendora and see if Charlie can fix them...he's fixed a couple of my other ones...I'd like to avoid the shipping cost of sending them to Xikar...

thinking I might need to try some Colibri fuel, to see if the Xikar Purofine is the problem...
18. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 1/27/2021, 8:04PM EST
may not help the problems above, but every once in a while I press the tip of the butane can into to the top of the lighter and it cleans the ignition components.
Seemed to help with sporadic lighting issues.
Purging should help with sputtering flames, I think air mixed in with the butane causes that.

Also, a few lighters just seem to need to be cranked up higher to work well, low end of the adjustment fails on many.
19. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 1/27/2021, 9:16PM EST
I've used the compressed air spray...didn't seem to help...
20. Author: PalamaDate: Wed, 1/27/2021, 10:18PM EST
delta1 wrote:
I've used the compressed air spray...didn't seem to help...

I’ve had mixed results, at best.
21. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 1/27/2021, 10:34PM EST
try cleaning with the butane...I guess it's like a solvent or something.
22. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Wed, 1/27/2021, 10:43PM EST
I've read that and do it periodically. Seems to help

For real reliability though, I go with kerosene soaked rags
23. Author: CheapPrickDate: Thu, 1/28/2021, 3:19AM EST
Maybe it was the new fuel that worked.....

Maybe it was the purging process...

When I purged, I completely emptied the chamber, then I re pressed the nozzle 5 or 6 additional times to make sure every bit of the old fuel was out before I refilled.

If your lighters are lighting, but the flame sux, it's probably a fuel issue... I think.... Think

My new new years resolution.. Every time my lighter runs out of fuel, I'm going to purge before I refill to keep my lighter healthy ..
24. Author: MACSDate: Thu, 1/28/2021, 12:02PM EST
Since Lava Butane is no longer available, I have Vector. My last can of Lava is gone... Vector is good stuff, too.
25. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Thu, 1/28/2021, 12:14PM EST
I use the neon 5x right now but only because I'm in California and getting butane shipped is close to impossible at a decent price...

but I found a guy on ebay that doesn't care about laws or safety... he throws 4 full sized cans into an unpadded envelope and sends them priority...

One of these days that package is gonna blow up and I can only hope it destroys all identifying info linking it back to me...
26. Author: Jsnyder147Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 10:37PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:

One of these days that package is gonna blow up and I can only hope it destroys all identifying info linking it back to me...

Poor mailman...
27. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Mon, 2/8/2021, 8:07PM EST
I made a point to refill all my old lighters with the colibri
Even my cheap lighters have slowly recovered. I mentioned earlier they were getting better I thought.

I believe the good butane burns hotter. To the point it actually cooks the “points” clean. One I had no spark , so me being me I would jump start it with a different lighter because I wanted to empty the lighter with no spark. I refilled the lighter jumped it and it now suddenly has spark again. Lesson learned. Only buy good butane. It will screw lighters up.
28. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 2/8/2021, 10:54PM EST
CheapPrick wrote:
Yea... I tried that moisture in the can

We don't judge.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic