Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev1314151617NextLast
Electric vehicles - what does the future hold?
701. Author: RayRDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 10:55AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
The government mandates that you buy an electric vehicle. The government then dispels any negative information. Brewha cheers the government.

This is why I never bet against the government!

Brewha believes everything The Biden Thing says? The downright lies and the half-truths?
I thought so.
702. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 1:17PM EST
The Ford Motor company announced that starting in 2025 it will have the Tesla charging connector on its new EVs.
Current owners will be sent an adapter and the Ford app will support seamless charging on the vast Tesla network.

This change is Ford's recognition that the other charging services such as Electrify America have too few locations - and often simply do not work due to ongoing reliability issues.
703. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 1:48PM EST
Found On Road Deenergized.
704. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 2:00PM EST
Mellow
705. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 3:10PM EST
This is a tough crowd....
706. Author: ZRX1200Date: Tue, 5/30/2023, 3:21PM EST
Or it could be their EV is a ballooning cost nightmare and they’re dealing with price gouging dealers…..
707. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 5/30/2023, 3:52PM EST
They prolly should 220 it.
708. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 6/9/2023, 2:59PM EST
General Motors said on Thursday that it would adopt Tesla technology to charge its electric vehicles, including selling models that use the plugs pioneered by Tesla.

Kinda screws VW (bummer). Kinda screws BMW (beamer bummer).

But here is who really deserve to be screwed:
Electrify America
Charge Point
EVGo

They had it coming....
709. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 6/9/2023, 5:02PM EST
Brewha wrote:
[b]But here is who really deserve to be screwed:
Electrify America
Charge Point
EVGo

They had it coming....

Wonder how many American taxpayers got took too?
710. Author: Speyside2Date: Sat, 6/10/2023, 5:35AM EST
Ford is doing the same. Electric cars are here to stay. Of course we need many, many more windmills to power them. Personally I think Biden will sign a presidential order forcing every American to pay for one windmill!
711. Author: delta1Date: Sat, 6/10/2023, 1:03PM EST
there are adapters available for use to plug into a Tesla charger for non-Teslas, and vice versa for Teslas to recharge with a conventional charger...

I'm leaning towards getting an EV for my next car...sometime next year...still like my Mazdaspeed3 tho...fun car...
712. Author: BrewhaDate: Sun, 6/11/2023, 9:44AM EST
delta1 wrote:
there are adapters available for use to plug into a Tesla charger for non-Teslas, and vice versa for Teslas to recharge with a conventional charger...

I'm leaning towards getting an EV for my next car...sometime next year...still like my Mazdaspeed3 tho...fun car...

The base Model 3 is dirt cheap right now - $32,740 after the tax break.
You might want to get a look at one….
713. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 6/27/2023, 7:09AM EST
Brewha wrote:
Copper? You are kidding right?
According to USGS data there are "shit tons of it". d'oh!

On the big vehicle front, Frito Lay has started their move to electric semi trucks (Tesla) for deliver with great success - and substantial cost savings. Amazon EV delivery trucks (Rivian) are cruising my neighborhood, and they are rolling out more (cheaper and better).

And Hertz now has 50,000 EVs in their fleet (because they are smart).

I don't doubt that with all the start ups and new tech there are some lemons out there. BMWs i3 was kind of a joke - but they got better. And the Fiat 500-e is, well - not great.

But you go right ahead and hold back the ocean with a broom.

You don't need a crystal ball to see the future. It's just harder for some when they choose to wear blindfolds.

"My Fear Is When Push Finally Comes To Shove" Copper Can Go Up 10 Times, Warns Billionaire Mine-Owner

We have all seen news headlines for lithium, cobalt, nickel, and other rare-earth metals needed for electric vehicle batteries and the entire electricity infrastructure. The Biden administration has announced a series of moves to secure America's 'supply chain for critical minerals.' Rarely discussed, however, is copper, one essential metal at the heart of the energy transition.

In an interview on Monday, billionaire mining investor Robert Friedland told Bloomberg TV that the mining industry is failing to increase supply ahead of 'accelerating demand.' He said deposits are getting more expensive and harder to find, funding is limited, and economies have to prepare for the importance of the mining industry to lead the energy transition.

"We're heading for a train wreck here," Friedland said at Bloomberg's New York headquarters.

He's the founder of Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. and warned: "My fear is that when push finally comes to shove," copper prices might explode ten times.

Long-term of Copper futures

The world is facing a crisis of supply in copper, with not enough mines being built to satisfy future demand, he said. Ivanhoe has mines in South Africa and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Copper is essential in electric vehicle motors and batteries, as well as cabling and transformers, to build out the nationwide electric vehicle charging infrastructure in the US and worldwide.

According to a recent S&P Global report, EVs require twice as much copper as an internal combustion engine vehicle. The report said copper demand will double to 50,000,000 metric tons annually by 2035, more than all the copper consumed worldwide between 1900 and 2021.

Friedland's longer-term view of higher copper prices is supported by a combination of decarbonization efforts globally, rising China demand, the emergence of India, and the modernization of militaries after the Ukraine war.

He said the market has yet to realize the significance of copper and how it is essential to decarbonization efforts. He noted there are very low physical inventories of copper with historically low relative valuations of mining companies.

Friedland pointed out that recent acquisitions of mines at high premiums indicate the mining industry is aware prices of the metal are headed higher. He said the tightening of the copper market could increase prices like other commodities in recent years.

"When metals are required, the prices go crazy and nobody's willing to sell them," he said. "We're heading into that sort of situation."

Even with increasing gloom about the global economy as global central banks tighten interest rates, Friedland remains very bullish on copper.

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/billionaire-mine-owner-warns-copper-market-headed-train-wreck-supply-woes-emerge

But hey...there's $hit tons of the stuff....riiight?
714. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 6/28/2023, 3:33PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
You don't need a crystal ball to see the future. It's just harder for some when they choose to wear blindfolds.

According to a recent S&P Global report, EVs require twice as much copper as an internal combustion engine vehicle.

OMG! Twice as much!!!
So like two alternators worth???

Truly, the sky is falling.....
715. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 6/28/2023, 4:04PM EST
Brewha wrote:
OMG! Twice as much!!!
So like two alternators worth???

Truly, the sky is falling.....

That's all you were able to extrapolate out of that article eh?

I totally get who you are now.
716. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 6/28/2023, 8:15PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
That's all you were able to extrapolate out of that article eh?

I totally get who you are now.

If you mean someone not scared of the future, then you’er finally on to something.

The point of the article seems to be that current production will not meet future needs - which is true of so many things. And this guy, who is in the business, is sounding the alarm that people should invest in the business….imagine that.

Did you think we are running out of copper to mine?

When they figured out how to smelt aluminum (you have use large amounts of electricity) this wonder metal was expensive and in short supply. Now they make beer cans out of it.
Today they make copper roofs, use it in plumbing. When it cost more they will make more - to make money.

Ebb and flow my friend.
717. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 6/30/2023, 10:33AM EST
Brewha wrote:
If you mean someone not scared of the future, then you’er finally on to something.

The point of the article seems to be that current production will not meet future needs - which is true of so many things. And this guy, who is in the business, is sounding the alarm that people should invest in the business….imagine that.

Did you think we are running out of copper to mine?

When they figured out how to smelt aluminum (you have use large amounts of electricity) this wonder metal was expensive and in short supply. Now they make beer cans out of it.
Today they make copper roofs, use it in plumbing. When it cost more they will make more - to make money.

Ebb and flow my friend.

LMMFAO!!!!

Scared of the future? You're the only person that bought an EV and DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT! That only makes you trendy and a Kardashian!

You constantly forget the factual and empirical proof that the EV isn't viable. Strip the rebates and government backed incentives like the Chinese do the Earth to get the minerals necessary for your fart car and it's a terrible option. I'm not even talking about the recyclable catastrophe the batteries are going to create but gloss them all away with the notion that "future" is here. Then again, you were the one crying about the lockdowns, masking up, destroying worldwide economies, vaccination papers and killing grandma over Covid so don't you dare lecture anyone about being scared of the "future"! Ignore the facts and tool around making fart noises. Its a "Look at me" vanity product that sensible people laugh at.

Here, cherry pick this and ignore the truths. That's all you do anyways.

Electric Cars Are An Expensive Scam

If EVs were really an innovation, the state wouldn’t have to bribe and force companies to produce them.

The left likes to treat skeptics of electrical cars as if they were Luddites. Truth is, making an existing product less efficient but more expensive doesn’t really meet the definition of innovation.

Even the purported amenities and technological advances EV-makers like to brag about in their ads have been a regular feature of gas-powered vehicles going back generations. At best, EVs, if they fulfill their promise, are a lateral technology.

Which is why there is no real “emerging market” for EVs in the United States as much as there’s an industrial policy in place that props up EVs with government purchases, propaganda, endless state subsidies, cronyism, taxpayer-backed loans, and edicts. The green “revolution” is an elite-driven, top-down technocratic project.

And it’s increasingly clear that the only reason giant rent-seeking carmakers are so heavily invested in EV development is that government is promising to artificially limit the production of gas-powered cars.

In March, Joe Biden signed an executive order to “set a target” for half of all new vehicles sold in 2030 to be zero-emission. California claims it is banning combustion engines in all new cars in about 10 years. So carmakers adopt business models to deal with these distorted incentives and contrived theoretical markets of the future.

In today’s real-world economy, though, Ford announced this week that it was firing at least 1,000 employees — many of them white-collar workers on the EV side. Ford projects it’s going to lose $3 billion on electric vehicles in 2023, bringing its EV losses to $5.1 billion over two years. In 2021, Ford reportedly lost $34,000 on every EV it made. This year it was losing more than $58,000 on every EV. In a normal world, Ford would be dramatically scaling back EV production, not expanding it. Remember that next time we need to bail out Detroit.

Then again, we’re already bailing them out, I suppose. Last week, the U.S. Energy Department lent Ford — again, a company that loses tens of thousands of dollars on every EV it sells — another $9.2 billion in taxpayer dollars for a South Korean battery project. One imagines no sane bank would do it. The cost of EV batteries has gone up, not down, over the past few years.

Ford says these up-front losses are part of a “start-up mentality.” We’re still pretending EVs are a new idea rather than an inferior one. But scaremongering about climate and a misplaced romanticizing of “manufacturing” jobs have softened up the public for this kind of waste. In the statist’s utopian vision, highly paid union members will be grabbing their lunchpails and biking over to the local solar panel factory or EV production line and toiling there for the common good.

In the real world, there is Lordstown. In 2019, after GM — which also loses money on every EV sold — shut down a plant in Lordstown, Ohio, then-President Donald Trump made a big deal of publicly pressuring the auto giant to rectify the situation. So CEO Mary Barra lent Lordstown Motors, a new EV outfit, $40 million to retrofit the plant. Ohio also gave the company another $60 million.

You may remember the widespread glowing coverage of Lordstown. After Joe Biden signed his “Buy American” executive order, promising to replace the entire U.S. federal fleet with EVs, Lordstown’s stock shot up.

By the start of this year, Lordstown had manufactured 31 vehicles total. Six had been sold to actual consumers. (But to be fair, five would be recalled — following a recall of 19.) The stock was trading at barely a dollar. Tech-funding giant Foxconn was pulling its $170 million. And this week the company filed for bankruptcy.

Without massive state help, EVs are a niche market for rich virtue signalers. And, come to think of it, that’s sort of what they are now, even with the help. A recent University of California at Berkeley study found that 90 percent of tax credits for electric cars go to people in the top income strata. Most EVs are brought by high earners who like the look and feel of a Tesla. And that’s fine. I don’t want to stop anyone from owning the car they prefer. I just don’t want to help pay for it.

Really, why would a middle-class family shun a perfectly good gas-powered car that can be fueled (most of the time) cheaply and driven virtually any distance, in any environment, and any time of the year? We don’t need lithium. We have the most efficient, affordable, portable, and useful form of energy. We have centuries’ worth of it waiting in the ground.

Climate alarmists might believe EVs are necessary to save the planet. That’s fine. Using their standard, however, a bike is an innovation. Because even on their terms, the usefulness of EVs is highly debatable. Most of the energy that powers them is derived from fossil fuels. The manufacturing of an EV has a negligible positive benefit for the environment, if any.

And the fact is that if EVs were more efficient and saved us money, as enviros and politicians claim, consumers wouldn’t have to be compelled into using them and companies wouldn’t have to be bribed into producing them.

https://thefederalist.com/2023/06/29/electric-cars-are-an-expensive-scam/

How's that power grid now?

PSST...they use copper in them.

718. Author: ZRX1200Date: Fri, 6/30/2023, 11:21AM EST
We had a semi across the road getting work done on it Wednesday, so he unloaded his trailer. He was hauling a bunch of Lucid Motors cars. No I’d never heard of them, I could have sworn they were rebadged Kia Stingers……anyways I proceeded to fire up the Google machine, not the most favorable reviews, and the price hikes for the trim levels, HOLY GUACAMOLE Batman……I did feel better knowing that the upper models that have leather, have ethically sourced Napa leather. I was worried.
719. Author: RayRDate: Fri, 6/30/2023, 11:25AM EST
I like the way that "Joe Biden signed an executive order to “set a target” for half of all new vehicles sold in 2030 to be zero-emission". That's like when the Soviet Union set targets for auto, truck and bus production in their five-year plans.

So, the U.S. regime thinks the means of production needs to be controlled by the whims of the President and his bureaucratic state and not by the most basic principles of a capitalist order.

720. Author: ZRX1200Date: Fri, 6/30/2023, 11:31AM EST
That’s how scientific advancements happen, the stroke of a pen.
721. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 6/30/2023, 12:13PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
We had a semi across the road getting work done on it Wednesday, so he unloaded his trailer. He was hauling a bunch of Lucid Motors cars. No I’d never heard of them, I could have sworn they were rebadged Kia Stingers……anyways I proceeded to fire up the Google machine, not the most favorable reviews, and the price hikes for the trim levels, HOLY GUACAMOLE Batman……I did feel better knowing that the upper models that have leather, have ethically sourced Napa leather. I was worried.

Great. Now DMV will cut and paste a diatribe about how we are running out of Napa Leather.....

Lucid offers one of those with a 516 mile range. Just to prove that EV's are "not viable".
722. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 6/30/2023, 12:31PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
LMMFAO!!!!

Scared of the future? You're the only person that bought an EV and DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT! That only makes you trendy and a Kardashian!

You constantly forget the factual and empirical proof that the EV isn't viable. Strip the rebates and government backed incentives like the Chinese do the Earth to get the minerals necessary for your fart car and it's a terrible option. I'm not even talking about the recyclable catastrophe the batteries are going to create but gloss them all away with the notion that "future" is here. Then again, you were the one crying about the lockdowns, masking up, destroying worldwide economies, vaccination papers and killing grandma over Covid so don't you dare lecture anyone about being scared of the "future"! Ignore the facts and tool around making fart noises. Its a "Look at me" vanity product that sensible people laugh at.

How's that power grid now?

PSST...they use copper in them.

I would point out, my Luddite friend, that I am impressed by your strong believes against something you admittedly know almost nothing about.

The number 1 selling car in the world is a full electric EV; the Model Y.
More proof of non viability?
The stock of the company that makes them has risen for $10 to $250 a share.
Oh, EV's will never catch on....

But we both know that this is about your unfortunate case of Madagascar syndrome. And apparent copper fetish.

Maybe if you started off small, like an electric toothbrush, you could ease your way into this whole twenty first century thing.
723. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 6/30/2023, 3:30PM EST
Brewha wrote:
I would point out, my Luddite friend, that I am impressed by your strong believes against something you admittedly know almost nothing about.

The number 1 selling car in the world is a full electric EV; the Model Y.
More proof of non viability?
The stock company that makes them has risen for $10 to $250 a share.
Oh, EV's will never catch on....

But we both know that this is about your unfortunate case of Madagascar syndrome. And apparent copper fetish.

Maybe if you started off small, like an electric toothbrush, you could ease your way into this whole twenty first century thing.

Hardly Kim.

Once again you try to make claims that are absurd from the beginning.

You're here defending your pious belief that you can see how beautiful the emperor's new clothes are. Standing in judgment of the sullied due to their lack of sight of what you claim to see. Just like Covid, you were the rabid dog at the gate doing anything for your master...now because they say jump...you're saying how high you can. WTG Kimmy.

No copper fetish...thats a stupid claim to ever try to make. It's called common sense. The guy you voted for that shut off the pipelines and closed down the mines...is in bed with the CCP! I'm merely pointing out that you can't get mining to any profitable level with the administration you put into power. I'm so happy you're doing your part in trying to create brownouts if not a complete power down with your fart car.
724. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 6/30/2023, 5:16PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Hardly Kim.

Once again you try to make claims that are absurd from the beginning.

You're here defending your pious belief that you can see how beautiful the emperor's new clothes are. Standing in judgment of the sullied due to their lack of sight of what you claim to see. Just like Covid, you were the rabid dog at the gate doing anything for your master...now because they say jump...you're saying how high you can. WTG Kimmy.

No copper fetish...thats a stupid claim to ever try to make. It's called common sense. The guy you voted for that shut off the pipelines and closed down the mines...is in bed with the CCP! I'm merely pointing out that you can't get mining to any profitable level with the administration you put into power. I'm so happy you're doing your part in trying to create brownouts if not a complete power down with your fart car.

The claims are easy to verify, by the news and stock market- granted that might make them “absurd” to you.
However:

DMV, on this 4th of July holiday I would like to thank you for all the long grins and honest entertainment you have given here. While I smile at your ongoing conspiracy theories and assertions that opinions equal facts, I know that you truly believe them. Good for you. Keep those flags flying.

You are our social justice worrier, forever vigilant against the evil cabals that would have us put on a solar roof, drive EV’s, get inoculated, or (god help us) think that science has merit.

Thanks again, and happy 4th Doctor MaddVibe.
725. Author: ZRX1200Date: Fri, 6/30/2023, 5:49PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Great. Now DMV will cut and paste a diatribe about how we are running out of Napa Leather.....

Lucid offers one of those with a 516 mile range. Just to prove that EV's are "not viable".

Yeah starting out at $138k…..very viable. If Democrats stay in power maybe our dollar will devalue enough that that pencils out for John Q Public.
726. Author: BrewhaDate: Sat, 7/1/2023, 8:56AM EST
So….maybe don’t spring for the Napa package?
727. Author: RayRDate: Sat, 7/1/2023, 9:42AM EST
Save the lives of those baby's, those calves, lambs, and kid goats. Say NO to NAPA LEATHER!
728. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 7/4/2023, 7:40PM EST
One year update on my “unviable” EV.

It’s a Model 3, got it 2022 in June. No service calls other than to have the garage door opener installed.

The wiper blades gave out after 3 months. Tesla wants $50 for a set. Crossed them to Bosch (OEM) for half that. Then found the inserts for $12….so it goes.

Dirt cheap to operate. 350 miles cost about $12 in “gas” charging at home. No oil changes or tune ups to be scheduled - ever.

Never gone more than 200 miles in a day so I have not yet needed to charge out on the road. Looking to plan a trip with the wife - kinda just to test out the charger network.

Autopilot is great going to the grocery store and work. Won’t buy the Full Self driving; cost too much for the mile I drive.

Fastest car I ever owned; 4.2 seconds 0-60, 12 second 1/4 mile. I stack that against my 88 corvette Z52 manual trans, 94 Mustang GT, etc, etc…Love the speed, does it all no drama, in the rain, cause it’s computer controlled AWD. Best car yet in the snow and ice.

The bad:
You loose a few miles of range in extreme heat and cold.
The door handles are hard to find at night (black on dark blue).
The ride could be smoother.
If you jump in an go when overnight cold, it can take a 1/2 mile before the mirrors unfold and the GPS goes live.

Oh, kids in BMW “M” 3 series keep pulling up and reving their fart cans - because they are kids.
729. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 7/4/2023, 9:29PM EST
Yeah... a Tesla beats an M3 and then you wake up and have pop tarts. What a fktard.
730. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 7/7/2023, 9:47AM EST
Brewha wrote:
The claims are easy to verify, by the news and stock market- granted that might make them “absurd” to you.
However:

DMV, on this 4th of July holiday I would like to thank you for all the long grins and honest entertainment you have given here. While I smile at your ongoing conspiracy theories and assertions that opinions equal facts, I know that you truly believe them. Good for you. Keep those flags flying.

You are our social justice worrier, forever vigilant against the evil cabals that would have us put on a solar roof, drive EV’s, get inoculated, or (god help us) think that science has merit.

Thanks again, and happy 4th Doctor MaddVibe.

Absurd? Worrying? Naw. Just able to apply critical thinking skills with the ability to think ahead. Moves ahead. I liken it to a survival skill that I learned while playing chess in elementary school, but some are never able to use these skills and apply them in Life. They would rather be told what to think, do and purchase. Oh well.

So, now that we're all bought in with Pedo Joe's Green New Deal and there won't be any ICE's on the road in 2030...he's put into place a huge backstop that government will have to fill. Have no fear, taxpayers will be paying that! It started with incentivizing purchases that weak minded claim as tax write-offs. Never thinking much further than they can piss now the Department of Defense has gone into "worry mode". Like some "Dr. Strangelove" plotline to usher in a new war, would you believe they don't have the minerals and metals locked down that are necessary for their "toys"? No? Think it's just me on some "conspiracy" bender? Nope. So, remember you heard it from me 1st when you want to claim something that you can't fathom. I'm still scratching my head as to why we had to bailout the auto manufacturers in the 1st place. Now as they lose billions of dollars and 10's of thousands of jobs they'll be pining for a Bailout 2.0.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/dod-invokes-defense-production-act-boost-metals-mining-after-china-export-controls

Every time you claim a conspiracy, I get proved right yet again. You need to try harder. Might want to lay off the boosters. They don't do anything but harm you.
731. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 7/7/2023, 12:13PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Absurd? Worrying? Naw. Just able to apply critical thinking skills with the ability to think ahead. Moves ahead. I liken it to a survival skill that I learned while playing chess in elementary school, but some are never able to use these skills and apply them in Life. They would rather be told what to think, do and purchase. Oh well.

So, now that we're all bought in with Pedo Joe's Green New Deal and there won't be any ICE's on the road in 2030...he's put into place a huge backstop that government will have to fill. Have no fear, taxpayers will be paying that! It started with incentivizing purchases that weak minded claim as tax write-offs. Never thinking much further than they can piss now the Department of Defense has gone into "worry mode". Like some "Dr. Strangelove" plotline to usher in a new war, would you believe they don't have the minerals and metals locked down that are necessary for their "toys"? No? Think it's just me on some "conspiracy" bender? Nope. So, remember you heard it from me 1st when you want to claim something that you can't fathom. I'm still scratching my head as to why we had to bailout the auto manufacturers in the 1st place. Now as they lose billions of dollars and 10's of thousands of jobs they'll be pining for a Bailout 2.0.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/dod-invokes-defense-production-act-boost-metals-mining-after-china-export-controls

Every time you claim a conspiracy, I get proved right yet again. You need to try harder. Might want to lay off the boosters. They don't do anything but harm you.

Never thought of elementary school chess as something one - "survived".....
I'll have to think on that for a bit.
732. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Fri, 7/7/2023, 1:15PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Never thought of elementary school chess as something one - "survived".....
I'll have to think on that for a bit.

You're a real idiot.
733. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 7/7/2023, 3:36PM EST
LOL
734. Author: BrewhaDate: Sat, 7/8/2023, 11:37AM EST
MACS wrote:
Yeah... a Tesla beats an M3 and then you wake up and have pop tarts. What a fktard.

https://youtu.be/DSRWKxytW40

You have to admire someone who is so very consistently wrong…..
735. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 7/8/2023, 12:21PM EST
I don't admire you at all.

And that's not your off the lot Tesla Model 3, either at 65k. I won't say it's not impressive. It is... but it still doesn't "beat" an M3. The deal is only as good as the downside. Too much downside with the Tesla.
736. Author: BrewhaDate: Sat, 7/8/2023, 1:19PM EST
That was a Model 3 Performance (one of three versions sold “off the lot”). Because Tesla production is now in full swing, that car now retails for $53,240 and is eligible for a $7,500 tax credit. Factor in gas, maintenance and BMW “reliability” (LOL) and it stomps a mud hole in the M3.

But ymmv…
737. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 7/8/2023, 1:27PM EST
Brewha wrote:
That was a Model 3 Performance (one of three versions sold “off the lot”). Because Tesla production is now in full swing, that car now retails for $53,240 and is eligible for a $7,500 government subsidy at taxpayer's expense. Factor in gas, maintenance and BMW “reliability” (LOL) and it stomps a mud hole in the M3.

But ymmv…

FIFY
738. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sat, 7/8/2023, 1:36PM EST
Teslas make fine Ubers. It’s the new Prius.
739. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sat, 7/8/2023, 1:55PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Teslas make fine Ubers. It’s the new Prius.

I dunno, a Prius is looking more masculine like a Hummer than a Tesla making fart noises sucking down taxpayer backed subsidies!

Any truth that Tesla's have White Claw cupholders now for hands free driving? That's what I heard.
740. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 7/10/2023, 11:57AM EST
in other news, out of the blue, I received in the mail an issue of Car and Driver magazine from the ever generous DED. He exhibits the true collegiality that exists here in CBid. He noticed I had an interest in buying an EV for my next car so he sent this issue devoted to EVs, identifying some top picks. According to C and D, Hyundai and KIA seem to be turning out great EVs.

Of course I, the gas guzzler at heart, was drawn to the comparison test between the Vette Z06 vs the Porsche GT3.
741. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 7/11/2023, 12:10PM EST
Just for you Delta...

CT5-V Blackwing vs Tesla Model S Plaid vs M5 CS Review and Drag Race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7YqdGt19tw
742. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 7/12/2023, 6:48PM EST
Thanks Brew! very entertaining...subtle and not so subtle digs at Caddy and Beamers...and their "endearing" qualities...

yes...electric vehicles outperform gas burners...without a lot of the fuss and muss

my SIL borrowed his friends Model S a few months ago, put it in sport mode and stomped on the accelerator...almost gave me whiplash...
743. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Thu, 7/13/2023, 6:14AM EST
Hurry, Hurry, Hurry...step right up...you've got a 3 car garage...now buy 3 EV's!!! Don't you want to be cool and be the center of attention? Don't use the little blue pill to satisfy your little lady, get an EV an she'll fall at your feet stud! BUY NOW!!!

Waiting For 'Buyers To Come': Unsold Electric Vehicles Piling Up In Car Dealerships, Says Report

The number of unsold electric vehicles at dealers in the second quarter tripled compared to the past year, signaling a weakened demand for the segment, said a recent report by leading auto-dealer data company Cox Automotive.

In second quarter 2023, the average inventory for electric vehicles (EVs) topped more than 92,000 units on the ground at dealer lots, according to the 2023 Cox Automotive Mid-Year Review presentation. This is up 342 percent compared to second quarter 2022. During this period, the new “EV days’ supply,” which refers to the average number of days a warehouse holds inventory before selling it, rose 166 percent, to 92 days from 38.5 days. While the pace of EV sales is up, it is “not rising as fast as inventory builds,” said Jonathan Gregory, senior manager, Economic and Industry Insights.

Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) are facing a “field of dreams moment,” he stated. “They have built inventory, and now they wait for buyers to come. This is one of the hottest topics we’ve had this year.”

Brands like Jaguar, Infiniti, and Lincoln had the highest days of supply, at over 100 days. The lowest numbers were seen among Toyota, Honda, Kia, and Lexus, with each brand having less than 30 days of supply.

Tesla continued to dominate the luxury EV segment with a market share of 25.5 percent, followed by Mercedes at 12.5 percent, BMW at 12.2 percent, and Lexus at 11 percent. Among EVs priced above $50,000, Ford held the biggest share at 22.1 percent, followed by Chevrolet at 12.1 percent.

Unlike other parts of the world, U.S. citizens remain on the sidelines when considering an EV purchase.

According to an April 2023 report by consumer intelligence company JD Power, more Americans are unwilling to buy EVs. In March, 21 percent of new vehicle shoppers said they were “very unlikely” to consider an EV, up from 17.8 percent in January.

During this period, the proportion of people who said they were “very likely” to buy an EV remained flat at around 26 percent.

“Lack of public charging infrastructure and price have been the top two concerns for the past 10 months, along with related issues involving range anxiety, time required to charge, and power outage and grid concerns,” the report said.

Dealer-Customer EV Expectations Diverge

While inventory is building up at dealer lots, a study by Cox Automotive found a wide gap between dealers and customers regarding future expectations of EV use.

According to Cox Automotive’s 2023 Path to “EV Adoption: Consumer and Dealer Perspectives” study, even though 53 percent of consumers see EVs as a future and that such vehicles will replace gas engines over time, only 31 percent of dealers held such a view.

“Nearly half (45 percent) of dealers surveyed feel that EVs still need to prove themselves in the marketplace,” said a press release on June 27.

In addition, the study also found that while customer interest in EVs is rapidly rising, sales continue to remain far lower in comparison. The research found that 51 percent of consumers were considering a new or used EV even though electric vehicles are only expected to make up less than 8 percent of total new vehicle sales this year.

Cox Automotive is expecting the sale of new EVs to surpass one million units for the first time in 2023. According to the firm’s Dealer Sentiment Index, the biggest factor which held back EV dealers during the second quarter was the state of the economy. This was followed by interest rates, limited inventory, market conditions, and credit availability for consumers.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/waiting-buyers-come-unsold-electric-vehicles-piling-car-dealerships-says-report

The CCP needs more aircraft carriers...BUY NOW!
744. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 8/9/2023, 6:17AM EST
The future seems so yesterday.

TOLD YA this was going to happen!!!!

Electric Vehicle Company Heavily Promoted by Biden Admin Goes Bankrupt

Proterra, an electric bus manufacturing company promoted by the Biden administration, had everything it needed to succeed - and failed anyway.

As the Washington Free Beacon’s Chuck Ross reported:

Proterra cited "various market and macroeconomic headwinds" in a Chapter 11 filing on Monday, which came after the California-based firm cut hundreds of jobs earlier this year and restructured hundreds of millions of dollars in outstanding debt.

Proterra stood to rake in millions from Biden's infrastructure and green energy initiatives, the former of which included at least $5 billion in spending on electric buses alone. Biden's flagship climate bill, the Inflation Reduction Act, also includes spending to help cities convert from diesel buses to electric buses, a major incentive for companies like Proterra.

JoAnn Covington, Proterra's chief legal officer, acknowledged last year that tax credits and federal grants under Biden's bills were a major incentive for the company. Grants to purchase electric buses and to create electric vehicle charging infrastructure would ​"open up opportunities to accelerate adoption of battery-electric and zero-emissions vehicles to all the other commercial segments on the cusp of being electrified," Covington said.

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm held non-public shares of proterra, which she sold in mid 2021 to an undisclosed buyer, pocketing over a $1 million profit in the process. She pledged to disclose the buyer, but never did. Proterra's stock only crashed from there, and Granholm’s 240,000 shares would be worth roughly $60,000 total as of writing, had she still held them.

Earlier this year in February, Proterra’s CEO Gareth Joyce was appointed by Biden to his Export Council.

Joe Biden himself promoted Proterra. Last year, during a speech touting electric vehicles, Biden said “Since 2021, companies have announced investments totaling more than $200 billion in domestic manufacturing here in America, from iconic companies like GM and Ford building out new electric vehicle production; to Tesla, our nation’s largest electric vehicle manufacturer; to innovative younger companies like Rivian, building electric trucks, or Proterra, building electric buses, which I saw at a virtual tour last year when I met with the CEO virtually. And they really impressed me.” (Rivian hasn’t done great either, with its stock losing over 80% of its value since it’s public debut).

The year prior, Biden hosted a virtual White House event that spotlighted Proterra’s business, which included the president of the company giving a virtual tour of the company’s manufacturing facility.

Evidently, Bidenomics isn’t even working for those it’s supposed to be rigged in favor of.

https://bongino.com/electric-vehicle-company-heavily-promoted-by-biden-admin-goes-bankrupt

Anyone remember Solyndra? No? The Big Guy's bathhouse boss taught him the gift of the grift.
745. Author: RayRDate: Thu, 8/10/2023, 8:28AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
The future seems so yesterday.

TOLD YA this was going to happen!!!!

Electric Vehicle Company Heavily Promoted by Biden Admin Goes Bankrupt

Proterra, an electric bus manufacturing company promoted by the Biden administration, had everything it needed to succeed - and failed anyway.

As the Washington Free Beacon’s Chuck Ross reported:

Proterra cited "various market and macroeconomic headwinds" in a Chapter 11 filing on Monday, which came after the California-based firm cut hundreds of jobs earlier this year and restructured hundreds of millions of dollars in outstanding debt.

Proterra stood to rake in millions from Biden's infrastructure and green energy initiatives, the former of which included at least $5 billion in spending on electric buses alone. Biden's flagship climate bill, the Inflation Reduction Act, also includes spending to help cities convert from diesel buses to electric buses, a major incentive for companies like Proterra.

JoAnn Covington, Proterra's chief legal officer, acknowledged last year that tax credits and federal grants under Biden's bills were a major incentive for the company. Grants to purchase electric buses and to create electric vehicle charging infrastructure would ​"open up opportunities to accelerate adoption of battery-electric and zero-emissions vehicles to all the other commercial segments on the cusp of being electrified," Covington said.

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm held non-public shares of proterra, which she sold in mid 2021 to an undisclosed buyer, pocketing over a $1 million profit in the process. She pledged to disclose the buyer, but never did. Proterra's stock only crashed from there, and Granholm’s 240,000 shares would be worth roughly $60,000 total as of writing, had she still held them.

Earlier this year in February, Proterra’s CEO Gareth Joyce was appointed by Biden to his Export Council.

Joe Biden himself promoted Proterra. Last year, during a speech touting electric vehicles, Biden said “Since 2021, companies have announced investments totaling more than $200 billion in domestic manufacturing here in America, from iconic companies like GM and Ford building out new electric vehicle production; to Tesla, our nation’s largest electric vehicle manufacturer; to innovative younger companies like Rivian, building electric trucks, or Proterra, building electric buses, which I saw at a virtual tour last year when I met with the CEO virtually. And they really impressed me.” (Rivian hasn’t done great either, with its stock losing over 80% of its value since it’s public debut).

The year prior, Biden hosted a virtual White House event that spotlighted Proterra’s business, which included the president of the company giving a virtual tour of the company’s manufacturing facility.

Evidently, Bidenomics isn’t even working for those it’s supposed to be rigged in favor of.

https://bongino.com/electric-vehicle-company-heavily-promoted-by-biden-admin-goes-bankrupt

Anyone remember Solyndra? No? The Big Guy's bathhouse boss taught him the gift of the grift.

You can bet CEO Gareth Joyce and the rest of the anti-capitalist cronies and corporate grifters walk away from failure with piles of cash just like what happened with Solyndra.
746. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 8/22/2023, 6:38AM EST
Welcome to the Desert of the Real.

Clean Energy Exploitations & The Death Spiral Of An Auto Industry

Biden is so wrong, even the liberal Guardian sees it. But it’s full speed ahead with massive subsidies for something counterproductive...

Ronald Stein at the Heartland institute says Unsold Electric Cars May Be Signaling a Death Spiral for the Auto Industry

As the future is fast approaching, virtually all the automobile manufacturers, through government mandates to reduce the emissions of their fleet of vehicles, are going all-in to only manufacture EV’s in the coming years. To meet low emissions for their fleet of vehicles, we’re most likely going to see fewer and fewer hybrids as the auto industry manufacturers need to eliminate the gasoline engines in hybrids to meet those lower emission targets.

The problem is that manufacturers are loading up the “supply chain” with EV’s on dealer lots, but they’re not seeing the “demand” for EV’s coming from the public.

Demand Flop Reasons

driving range,

vehicle reliability,

price,

the availability of electricity for the buildout of the charging infrastructure,

charging time,

the cost and lifespan of batteries and their environmental impact,

the actual impact EVs will have on reducing carbon emissions,

the growing statistics about uncontrollable fires of lithium batteries in EV’s,

problems with battery recycling and end-of-life management,

concerns that the EV free ride of usage of highways and not paying fuel taxes is about to end with the Vehicle Mileage Tax (VMT), i.e., more costs for the EV owners of the future,

concerns that home chargers are destined to follow the UK and be on separate meters so that EV charging will be at higher rates to help stabilize the electrical grid, again more costs for the EV owners of the future.

None of the above is new except perhaps that last bullet point. I have written about the above concern list many times, but it is an excellent synopsis.

Additional Problems

Another problem for the automobile industry is convincing the buyers that its ethical, moral, and socially responsible to buy an EV, especially since most of the exotic mineral and metal supplies to build the batteries are being mined in developing countries with limited environmental regulation nor labor regulations.

Interestingly, the 2021 Pulitzer Prize nominated book “Clean Energy Exploitations – Helping Citizens Understand the Environmental and Humanity Abuses That Support Clean Energy does an excellent job of discussing the lack of transparency to the world of the green movement’s impact upon humanity exploitations in the developing countries that are mining for the exotic minerals and metals required to create the batteries needed to store “green electricity”. Complimentary to the book is a 2-minute clip from Michael Moore’s 2020 documentary film, Planet of the Humans, that’s been viewed by more than 14 million, that illustrates how so-called green electricity is made

It’s not often I agree with Michael Moore on anything, but his video ought to be an eye opener for those who mistakenly believe EV will do anything for the environment.

https://youtu.be/rK_EpFeNlvY?si=wCbYt7YDVrnaaFav

The video start at the 36:44 mark, a good spot for the exploitation that goes into producing the minerals needed for EVs and how solar energy is destroying the desert.

California Leads the Way

Most states lack the year-round temperate climate that Californians enjoy, the distribution of EV ownership throughout the nation should be a concern to the auto industry. With 40 percent of the EV’s in America being in California, that leaves the other 60 percent being among the other 49 States, or approximately 1+ percent per State.

To support the State’s EV growth, California imports more electricity than any other US state, more than twice the amount of Virginia, the second largest importer of electricity. California typically receives between one-fifth and one-third of its electricity supply from outside of the state.

The other 49 states have virtually non-existent EV charging infrastructures, and a few of them may be exporting their electricity to California!

UK Madness

As of May 30, 2022, in the UK, new home and workplace chargers being installed must be “smart” chargers” connected to the internet and able to employ pre-sets limiting their ability to function from 8 am to 11 am and 4 pm to 10 pm.

In addition to the nine hours a day of downtime, authorities will be able to impose a “randomized delay” of 30 minutes on individual chargers in certain areas to prevent grid spikes at other times.

The UK Electric Vehicles (Smart Charge Points) Regulations 2021 came into force on June 30, 2022. All home installed electric vehicle chargers are required to be separately metered and send information to the Smart meter data communications network. Potentially this legislation allows the electricity used for charging EVs to be charged and taxed at a higher rate than domestic electricity. The technology enacted also enables the rationing of electricity for EV charging because the government can decide when and if an EV can be charged, plus it also allows the EV battery to be drained into the grid if required.

Carnage of Child Labor and Ecological Destruction ‘Elsewhere’ acceptable to Wealthy Countries

Next, please consider Carnage of Child Labor and Ecological Destruction ‘Elsewhere’ acceptable to Wealthy Countries, also by Ronald Stein.

The Administration is laser-focused on ending the “climate crisis” by switching to “clean” electricity. It has few qualms about importing the critically needed materials from foreign countries, primarily China – regardless of economic, defense, national security, ecological or human rights implications. It just wants the dirty aspects of “clean” electricity far away and out of sight.

In California, Governor Gavin Newsom has been vocal about his commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the state. However, some of his recent actions of “leaking” emissions to other countries violate many sections of the written legal framework of The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and California Global Warming Solutions Act (AB32).

The silence is deafening from billionaires like Bill Gates, John Kerry, Mark Zuckerberg, George Soros, Michael Bloomberg, and President Biden.Through the encouragement of tax incentives and subsidies to go to EV’s and electricity from wind and solar, they are providing financial incentives to China, who already controls the supply chain for the minerals and metals to go green, furthering our total dependence on China to achieve the green goals of America.

“The wealthy country elites continue to demonstrate their lack of ethical, moral, and social responsibilities, by using subsidies that encourage the continued exploitations of people with yellow, brown, and black skin and the environmental degradation occurring elsewhere, out of view of those living in wealthy countries,” says Stein.

The destruction, however, is not just elsewhere.

How an Oasis Becomes a Dead Sea

The Guardian comments Solar Farms Took Over the California Desert: ‘An Oasis Has Become a Dead Sea’

Kevin Emmerich worked for the National Park Service for over 20 years before setting up Basin & Range Watch in 2008, a non-profit that campaigns to conserve desert life. He says solar plants create myriad environmental problems, including habitat destruction and “lethal death traps” for birds, which dive at the panels, mistaking them for water.

He says one project bulldozed 600 acres of designated critical habitat for the endangered desert tortoise, while populations of Mojave fringe-toed lizards and bighorn sheep have also been afflicted. “We’re trying to solve one environmental problem by creating so many others.”

Madness in Michigan

Last week a reader called me regarding use of solar panels in Michigan. Since he began fighting such projects a few years ago, he has been targeted by IRS audits.

The harassment continues despite him winning the battles.

Michigan is probably one of the worst places to place solar. I suggested to my reader to look up Michigan cloudiness. Check this out.

A 2013 study concluded that over a 31-year period, Michigan winters are filled with clouds more than 50% of the time. That means the months of December, January and February are quite cloudy. Places like Wisconsin, however, are less than 30% cloudy on average in the winter.

A 2023 update shows it’s even worse. PBS reports Michigan winters are super cloudy and getting worse.

For nearly two weeks, clouds blanketed large swaths of Michigan, occasionally accompanied by rainfall that transformed our winter wonderland into a muddy mess.

The bad news is gloomy, muddy winters could become increasingly normal in Michigan as climate change chips away at Great Lakes ice cover, strengthening the forces that drive lake effect clouds, rain and snow.

And how much of the time would those solar panels be covered in snow?

Even with subsidies, there is no way solar projects in Michigan can possibly work.

Solar Energy Is Not Cheaper

I am sick of all these lies about solar being cheaper. On a new facility, in sunny place, it might appear so on the surface. But that ignores the fact that existing plants are up an running and will need to be mothballed, if and when there is storage capacity to deal with the inconvenient issue that sun does not shine at night.

Destruction of productive facilities for something only marginally better makes little sense. And it makes no sense at all when one factors in required grid updates, child labor exploitation, and also the destruction of US deserts, the latter discussed in detail below.

What to Expect When Politicians Try to Pick Technology Winners

On May 25, with a spotlight on the EU, I commented on What to Expect When Politicians Try to Pick Technology Winners Part 1

Biden’s Solar Push Is Destroying the Desert and Releasing Stored Carbon

The Left ignored environment destruction, even in the US.

On May 28, 2023, I noted Biden’s Solar Push Is Destroying the Desert and Releasing Stored Carbon

Biden is so clearly wrong, even the extremely liberal Guardian sees it. But it’s full speed ahead with massive subsidies for something counterproductive for the goal.

Electric Vehicles for Everyone?

On July 19, I asked Electric Vehicles for Everyone? If the Dream Was Met, Would it Help the Environment?

My follow-up post was What Do MishTalk Readers Think About “Electric Vehicles for Everyone?”

Math Does Not Add Up

The EV math does not add up in the EU or here. But the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU), better known as the Eurozone, has economic debt brakes and budget rules that make matters more painful for the 20 EMU countries.

In the US, deficits pile up as do the economic impacts of a massive wave of Bidenomic regulations and mandates.

We pretend that deficits don’t matter and mainstream media not only looks the other way, but is in on the act with countless fearmongering stories.

Inflationary Madness Marches On

On August 17, I commented Yet Another Biden Regulation Will Increase Costs and Promote More Inflation

It involves a new Biden regulation that will increase the price of all government projects. Click on the link for details.

Rooftop Solar Panel Madness

The one place where solar might makes sense is roof top solar panels. But even there, we have environmental madness, taxing the hell out of panels, making them too expensive to use.

For discussion, please see The Cost of Soup is About to Increase, Thank President Biden

The above article discusses soup and solar panels. Soup is the sideline.

US policy is so convoluted that we aim to put solar where it makes no sense at all, and kill the idea where it does.

Meanwhile, If you actually believe you are doing something positive for the environment by buying a Tesla, you are an environmental fool.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/clean-energy-exploitations-death-spiral-auto-industry

There is your future.
747. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 8/22/2023, 8:39AM EST
What do internal combustion engine vehicles and electric vehicles have in common??

They're both powered by fossil fuels.
748. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 8/22/2023, 9:39AM EST
Under new state law, Texas will bill electric vehicle drivers an extra $200 a year

The new registration fee is meant to make up for the state’s lost revenue from gasoline taxes that are used to pay for road construction and maintenance.

Earlier this year, state lawmakers passed Senate Bill 505, which requires electric vehicle owners to pay the fee when they register a vehicle or renew their registration. It’s being imposed because lawmakers said EV drivers weren’t paying their fair share into a fund that helps cover road construction and repairs across Texas.

Many environmental and consumer advocates agreed with lawmakers that EV drivers should pay into the highway fund but argued over how much.

Some thought the state should set the fee lower to cover only the lost state tax dollars, rather than both the state and federal money, because federal officials may devise their own scheme. Others argued the state should charge nothing because EVs help reduce greenhouse gas emissions that drive climate change.

“We urgently need to get more electric vehicles on the road,” said Luke Metzger, executive director of Environment Texas. “Any increased fee could create an additional barrier for Texans, and particularly more moderate- to low-income Texans, to make that transition.”

749. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 8/22/2023, 10:02AM EST
The federal government giveth the rebates... the state government taketh them away. lol
750. Author: RayRDate: Tue, 8/22/2023, 10:58AM EST
I've heard "The power to tax is the power to destroy".
FirstPrev1314151617NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic