Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev12345NextLast
Medical Shenanigans Humor Concerns & Support
101. Author: Gene363Date: Sat, 5/27/2023, 11:10AM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Game Changer to say the least. Long road, however you’ll be on the pavement, instead of the ditch you’ve been it foe half a century.

Hope with a Plan beats just Hope and continuous pain.

Early Congrats, Delta.

+1
102. Author: delta1Date: Sun, 5/28/2023, 5:13PM EST
I reviewed the doctor's notes about our discussions during the visit. I remember her mostly positive discussion about the surgery and the potential for a favorable outcome of improved function and reduction of pain. Then I read this, from her "After Visit Notes":

"Consent: left thumb trapeziectomy with ligament reconstruction tendon interpostion and fcr

Surgical risks were reviewed with patient. Patient advised specifically that with or without treatment, there is no guarantee of being able to return to heavy work. Surgical risks to include but not limited to bleeding, infection, injury to nerves vessels or tendons, persistent pain despite surgical intervention, destabilization of the left thumb and wrist, requiring additional surgical intervention, failure to achieve desired pain relief or functional improvement, failure to return to previous level of function, anesthetic risks to include but not limited to death were discussed. Patient wishes to proceed with surgical intervention"

Pretty sure we didn't go into the risks as described, but those are applicable to most types of surgery...just a little caution to go with the hope...
103. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 5/28/2023, 6:52PM EST
delta1 wrote:
I reviewed the doctor's notes about our discussions during the visit. I remember her mostly positive discussion about the surgery and the potential for a favorable outcome of improved function and reduction of pain. Then I read this, from her "After Visit Notes":

"Consent: left thumb trapeziectomy with ligament reconstruction tendon interpostion and fcr

Surgical risks were reviewed with patient. Patient advised specifically that with or without treatment, there is no guarantee of being able to return to heavy work. Surgical risks to include but not limited to bleeding, infection, injury to nerves vessels or tendons, persistent pain despite surgical intervention, destabilization of the left thumb and wrist, requiring additional surgical intervention, failure to achieve desired pain relief or functional improvement, failure to return to previous level of function, anesthetic risks to include but not limited to death were discussed. Patient wishes to proceed with surgical intervention"

Pretty sure we didn't go into the risks as described, but those are applicable to most types of surgery...just a little caution to go with the hope...

Consider asking about those things. I noticed something similar (albeit a list not as long).
One thing I learned was these health systems live off of survey results. If they paint a rosy enough picture, the patient is more likely to speak positively.

Part and parcel of why 40% of the country is obese. Instead of saying you are fat, you need to lose weight, they instead mention you could lose some weight and then write in the medical record Advised patient for need of weight loss.

Slippery bastids.
104. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Fri, 6/2/2023, 8:46PM EST
Nearing the end of the line for dad.
Cannot speak. Growls instead of talking, frustrated he can get what he wants.
Transitioning into Hospice Care.
No more lab work, needle sticks or therapy.
No more nutrition, pain medications going into the feeding tube.

Mom is mostly a mess, sister is mostly good, me okay.
105. Author: Gene363Date: Fri, 6/2/2023, 8:53PM EST
Pray Pray Pray
106. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 6/2/2023, 9:30PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:

no one is okay.
but everyone has their role that others count on. So it goes.
and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as everyone gets to deal with it as needed.
Everyone.
Family dynamics being what they are...

I really believe in you, my friend.
107. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 6/2/2023, 10:26PM EST
very sorry 8... Pray
108. Author: Ram27Date: Fri, 6/2/2023, 11:09PM EST
Keeping you and your family in our prayers Eight.
109. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 6/3/2023, 7:48AM EST
Sorry to hear the news Russ. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Stuff like this is not easy to handle.
110. Author: Stogie1020Date: Sat, 6/3/2023, 7:54AM EST
Sorry to hear, 8. Lean on people when you need to.
111. Author: dkeageDate: Sat, 6/3/2023, 9:15AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
Sorry to hear the news Russ. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Stuff like this is not easy to handle.

This.. Pray
112. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 6/3/2023, 11:40AM EST
8trackdisco wrote:

Damn... I'm really sorry to hear this, buddy. Crying
113. Author: deadeyedickDate: Sat, 6/3/2023, 11:48AM EST
Sorry to hear it Russ. Continued prayers for you and your family.
114. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 6/5/2023, 7:09PM EST
Stay strong 8...your family needs you.
115. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 6/7/2023, 7:16PM EST
Dad passed away this morning @ 10:49.

Appreciate all the thoughts, prayers, juju, vibes etc.

From Brothers on and off of Cbid.

116. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 6/7/2023, 7:30PM EST
Russ... ya know I'm here if you need to chat.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your dad.Sad
117. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 6/7/2023, 9:08PM EST
My condolences for your loss and prayers for your family.
118. Author: Stogie1020Date: Wed, 6/7/2023, 10:22PM EST
So sorry to hear, 8.
119. Author: Ram27Date: Wed, 6/7/2023, 10:53PM EST
Russ, my sincere condolences on the loss of your father. May the Lord be with you and your family during this difficult period. You and your family will be in my prayers.
120. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/8/2023, 12:18PM EST
sincere condolences from here as well, Russ.

sometimes we make donations to a favored cause or charity in memory of the loved one lost.
do you have any in particular you like to support?
I did a quick search for greyhound related causes but thought I'd bring it up for anyone else interested as well.
121. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 6/8/2023, 4:10PM EST
So sorry to hear that your Father passed, Russ. He lives in your memories, so remember the good times...

After 40 years, I still remember Dad, clear as a bell...
122. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Thu, 6/8/2023, 6:08PM EST
Thank you, everyone. Simply trying to ride the waves or supporting, helping provide some soft guardrails on decisioning led by mom. As you’d guess for an 80, anxiety on top of lack of sleep this is a lot. We are taking it a minute at a time. Which makes dealing with the situation one hour at a time feel like a luxury.

Frank,
My dad was a lover of hummingbirds. He could watch them forever. That and wildflowers. I’m humbled by your offer. If there is some place out in Massachusetts which supports either of those, I’d be happy to pass that information along to my mom and sister as well.

You are a… mensche? Did I use it right?
123. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/8/2023, 7:29PM EST
why yes, yes you did!
124. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Thu, 6/8/2023, 7:44PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
why yes, yes you did!

I am teachable.
125. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 6/8/2023, 9:35PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
I am teachable.

that's the upside...HA!
126. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 6/8/2023, 9:46PM EST
feels like a moment here...
127. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 6/9/2023, 3:34PM EST

Russ, I came up with this Hummingbird one below.

Typically when we donate to "the charity of choice" (Cancer Society, Heart Fund, Leukemia/Lymphoma eg) they offer to send a notification to the grieving family that a gift was made in memory of (fill in the name)...but a quick reading did not show the same option from Mass Audubon.

In the event that it does pop up when I am finalizing our donation, would you mind sharing your father's name...either here or PM me?

Posted the link here just in case anyone else shares our custom.

https://action.audubon.org/onlineactions/NZ1bZ5OTWEGzHGtU2cCgpQ2

btw, I looooove hummingbirds!
128. Author: delta1Date: Fri, 6/9/2023, 6:05PM EST
hummingbirds are abundant here this time of year...

129. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 6/10/2023, 12:41PM EST
da hummingbirds just got some money from me...
130. Author: rfenstDate: Sun, 6/11/2023, 1:50PM EST
Wife had painful bunions on both her big and little toes on one foot for 5-10 years. Extremely tender.

Finally went with her for the last few doc appointments to confirm he had nothing less invasive that might work. Talked my wife into it for like six weeks before she scheduled the surgery.

Surgery went well about two weeks ago. Three micro plates and like 8-10 micro screws.

Staples come out Tuesday and we will find out how soon she can be partial weight bearing for short periods of time- so I won't have to wait on her had and foot!. She is going to be in a boot for like 6-8 weeks.

Might also find out when she can drive... Herfing
131. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 6/11/2023, 3:14PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
da hummingbirds just got some money from me...

❤️
132. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 11/28/2023, 2:28PM EST
Think tomorrow is DMV’s surgery on his bad wing.

DMV,
Prayers completed for the medical staff and for you and your recovery.

Peace, Brother.
133. Author: ZRX1200Date: Tue, 11/28/2023, 2:32PM EST
That bassturd said nothing to me!

I’ll be thinking about you buddy.

Another BOTL is having surgery today but I’m not sure he wants that out there….so send blind vibes to flyover country
134. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 11/28/2023, 3:03PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Think tomorrow is DMV’s surgery on his bad wing.

DMV,
Prayers completed for the medical staff and for you and your recovery.

Peace, Brother.

Thank you!

Surgery was yesterday. Hurting but not the same pain that I'd been living with for years. The rotator cuff was shot. Nothing left but bone on bonespurs. It would catch like a stuck gear and grind back into socket. The doctor was surprised I was walking upright from the MRI's. Scheduled me for shoulder reversal replacement and a new chapter is opened.

So...who has some ISOMs for Oxys?
135. Author: Gene363Date: Tue, 11/28/2023, 3:05PM EST
I hope you have a fast and complete recovery.
136. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 11/28/2023, 3:08PM EST
I'm taking it slow.

Burning vacation and perhaps a bit of short term medical leave if i run out.
137. Author: Stogie1020Date: Tue, 11/28/2023, 3:26PM EST
Good luck with the recovery!
138. Author: Ram27Date: Tue, 11/28/2023, 4:00PM EST
Wishing you a speedy recovery Doc.
139. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 11/28/2023, 4:29PM EST
heal well, Doctor
140. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 11/28/2023, 4:31PM EST
Thanks all.

Really appreciate it.
141. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 11/28/2023, 4:40PM EST
I could sure go for some.. uhh.. never mind.. Anxious
142. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 11/28/2023, 8:30PM EST
hope you recover fully and quickly, DMV!
143. Author: ChenoDate: Tue, 11/28/2023, 10:40PM EST
Lots of rest and get well soon!
144. Author: MACSDate: Thu, 12/14/2023, 11:30AM EST
Kept this to myself and a small circle of homies, but I guess I should rip the band-aid off and share with the class.

Caveat - not looking for sympathy, my mom told me where to find it when I was a youngster: right between shit and syphilis in the dictionary. All my years of bragging I was healthy and didn't take meds have come back to bite me on the ass. d'oh!

Won't bore you with the long story, this started over 2 months ago, I have an artery leaving the heart that is 80% blocked and it braches off downstream and both of those branches don't look good, either. Had a heart cath on the 5th that found the trouble, as everything else they did was inconclusive.

Appointment set for Tuesday the 19th for a stent to be placed. Best case 1 stent if he can clear those branches. Worst case 3 of 'em. If all goes according to plan I go in on the 19th and go home on the 20th.

I'll have to take blood thinners for 6-12 months... and cholesterol meds until the Good Lord says it's my time. Brick wall

Fortunately for me I have Tricare and the VA to cover all the expenses (except copays). Also very fortunate that I did everything through Tricare but the VA knew (because of the ER visit) so I saw 2 cardiologists... the VA Doc is retired from the Mankato, MN Mayo Clinic. Pray He agrees with the process. If you're gonna get a second opinion, that's prolly the one ya want.
145. Author: RiverRatRussDate: Thu, 12/14/2023, 11:58AM EST
^ Prayers Up Macs!!!

had a buddy a few years back, he kept going to his PMC complaining about a nasal congestion issue he couldn't kick.. tired allot etc. his doc told him and treated him for common cold etc. shipped him out with regular meds and antibiotics to fight it off... two-three weeks of in and out complaining.. one day while he was on the Job and knew something wasn't tickin right.. he headed to the ER.. good thing he did.. they ran EKG and CT scan with dye... turned out he was packing around a Widow Maker... 98% blockage... could have dropped anytime... he fired his Doc and today is back to Bacon and Cheeseburgers and smokes like a chimney!!!
146. Author: Gene363Date: Thu, 12/14/2023, 12:06PM EST
MACS wrote:
Kept this to myself and a small circle of homies, but I guess I should rip the band-aid off and share with the class.

Caveat - not looking for sympathy, my mom told me where to find it when I was a youngster: right between shit and syphilis in the dictionary. All my years of bragging I was healthy and didn't take meds have come back to bite me on the ass. d'oh!

Won't bore you with the long story, this started over 2 months ago, I have an artery leaving the heart that is 80% blocked and it braches off downstream and both of those branches don't look good, either. Had a heart cath on the 5th that found the trouble, as everything else they did was inconclusive.

Appointment set for Tuesday the 19th for a stent to be placed. Best case 1 stent if he can clear those branches. Worst case 3 of 'em. If all goes according to plan I go in on the 19th and go home on the 20th.

I'll have to take blood thinners for 6-12 months... and cholesterol meds until the Good Lord says it's my time. Brick wall

Fortunately for me I have Tricare and the VA to cover all the expenses (except copays). Also very fortunate that I did everything through Tricare but the VA knew (because of the ER visit) so I saw 2 cardiologists... the VA Doc is retired from the Mankato, MN Mayo Clinic. Pray He agrees with the process. If you're gonna get a second opinion, that's prolly the one ya want.

Pray Pray Pray
147. Author: Stogie1020Date: Thu, 12/14/2023, 12:25PM EST
MACS wrote:

Damn. Good luck MACS!
148. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 12/14/2023, 1:30PM EST
Sorry to hear Shawn, but glad you caught it in time to fix it. Here's hoping for a complete fix and a quick recovery.
149. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Thu, 12/14/2023, 5:14PM EST
MACS wrote:

You buried the lead. At least I’m not the last person to know you actually have a heart. Applause
150. Author: Ram27Date: Thu, 12/14/2023, 5:23PM EST
MAC wishing you all the best for successful success in your treatment. Welcome to the 'Heart ♥ Club '
FirstPrev12345NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic