Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev163164165166167NextLast
What Whiskey You Drinking 1,000,000
8201. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sun, 2/13/2022, 3:23AM EST
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
8202. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 5:46PM EST
Restocked my Four Roses Single Barrel and picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel.
8203. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 7:00PM EST
If you have purchased a bourbon that is less than desirable, a whiskey sour is a good idea.

Got some Bib and Tucker from Total Wine on the recommendation of one of the jackwagons that works there. It sucks... but it makes a good whiskey sour. Henceforth I will rely on recommendations from Ron, Jamie, Russ and Chris.

Shawn's whiskey sour:

3/4 oz fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice, whichever you prefer
3/4 oz simple syrup
2 oz bourbon

Stir in a rocks glass... add a large cube of ice... and if you are so inclined a dash of angostura or orange bitters on top.

8204. Author: rpnocitiDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 7:05PM EST
Sagamore Distiller's Select Tequila Finish
8205. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 8:07PM EST
Well...

The Russell's reserve Single Barrel is now the best bourbon I have ever tasted. Poured 60ml, 2 oz, and dropped in a fat, round ice cube. Let it chill for a few minutes and took a sip.

It's 55% abv, but the taste is very slightly sweet and the mouth feel is silky and buttery. It has no harshness. Very little oak or wood taste, but it's there... and when I take a big whiff of it I smell caramel. Or sweetened condensed milk on a burner.
8206. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 8:54PM EST
MACS wrote:
If you have purchased a bourbon that is less than desirable, a whiskey sour is a good idea.

Got some Bib and Tucker from Total Wine on the recommendation of one of the jackwagons that works there. It sucks... but it makes a good whiskey sour. Henceforth I will rely on recommendations from Ron, Jamie, Russ and Chris.

Shawn's whiskey sour:

3/4 oz fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice, whichever you prefer
3/4 oz simple syrup
2 oz bourbon

Stir in a rocks glass... add a large cube of ice... and if you are so inclined a dash of angostura or orange bitters on top.

What is your water to sugar ratio in your simple syrup recipe?
8207. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 8:58PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
What is your water to sugar ratio in your simple syrup recipe?

Simple syrup, sir... SIMPLE. 1:1

One cup sugar, one cup water. Heat only until well mixed.
8208. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 9:16PM EST
Old Ezra 7 Year cask strength 120 proof............friggen delicious
8209. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 9:37PM EST
MACS wrote:
Simple syrup, sir... SIMPLE. 1:1

One cup sugar, one cup water. Heat only until well mixed.

Have never kept it on hand. Seems like a diabetes maker. Do you make it as you go?
Have also heard the recipe is by weight. Water being heavier than water, there'd be more sugar than water. Errrr, no?
8210. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 11:00PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Have never kept it on hand. Seems like a diabetes maker. Do you make it as you go?
Have also heard the recipe is by weight. Water being heavier than water, there'd be more sugar than water. Errrr, no?

Water is approximately a half lb heavier than sugar.........diabetes maker,yes imho.When mixing bourbon if a recipe calls for sugar I just skip it and go with a sweeter bourbon.
8211. Author: ZRX1200Date: Wed, 2/16/2022, 11:03PM EST
Russels 6 year rye
8212. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/16/2022, 11:18PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:

Son? You done lost your rabbit-assed mind in El Segundo?

That's a nice way of asking if you went full frankin' retard.

One cup water. One cup sugar. Mix in a pan and heat until blended. Simple frankin syrup.
8213. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Thu, 2/17/2022, 4:08PM EST
MACS wrote:
Son? You done lost your rabbit-assed mind in El Segundo?

That's a nice way of asking if you went full frankin' retard.

One cup water. One cup sugar. Mix in a pan and heat until blended. Simple frankin syrup.

Sorry to disappoint, dad. Although through WB's commentary, it was a valid question.
8214. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Thu, 2/17/2022, 7:55PM EST
May have made a whiskey misstep. A buddy of mine from back in the day use to drink Manhattans with this one. Just cracked a bottle purchased about a month ago. Sour doesn't begin to describe the taste.

Guess that is what you get when you go outside the bourbon family.

It's not bad, just not my bag.

George Dickel Sour Mash 8.
8215. Author: MACSDate: Thu, 2/17/2022, 9:29PM EST
I have some Barrel Select from George Dickel. It's ayite.
8216. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Thu, 2/17/2022, 9:49PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
May have made a whiskey misstep. A buddy of mine from back in the day use to drink Manhattans with this one. Just cracked a bottle purchased about a month ago. Sour doesn't begin to describe the taste.

Guess that is what you get when you go outside the bourbon family.

It's not bad, just not my bag.

George Dickel Sour Mash 8.

Tennessee whisky gonna be a little different from your standard bourbon.The Dickel 8 is a mixer only imo..........the 12 however is very good.I keep a bottle around for a change of pace

Oh yea.....WT 101
8217. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Thu, 2/17/2022, 9:57PM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
Tennessee whisky gonna be a little different from your standard bourbon.The Social 8 is a mixer only imo..........the 12 however is very good.I keep a bottle around for a change of pace

Oh yea.....WT 101

I can see how three ounces of GD and five ounces of coke on the deck with a medium bodied cigar would be a pleasant afternoon.

Would rather have the WT 101.
8218. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Fri, 2/18/2022, 9:56PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
I can see how three ounces of GD and five ounces of coke on the deck with a medium bodied cigar would be a pleasant afternoon.

Two of those will get you a nice nap after the cigar
8219. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Fri, 2/18/2022, 9:57PM EST
Cooper's Craft 100 Proof.............thanks to Z
8220. Author: PalamaDate: Fri, 2/18/2022, 10:14PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Whistlebritches wrote:
Tennessee whisky gonna be a little different from your standard bourbon.The Dickel 8 is a mixer only imo..........the 12 however is very good.I keep a bottle around for a change of pace

Oh yea.....WT 101

8trackdisco wrote:

Quite frankly I'm not much of a WT fan but might gotta try one or both of these in the near future.

8221. Author: Burner02Date: Sat, 2/19/2022, 7:47AM EST
Palama wrote:
Quite frankly I'm not much of a WT fan but might gotta try one or both of these in the near future.

I'm not a big WT fan either. The cubs and I visited the WT facility 6 or 7 years ago when we did the Bourbon Trail. I really wanted to like WT because it was my dads favorite bourbon, but not to be.

I keep saying that I'm going to grap a botle of Russell's Reserve single barrel and give it a shot.

Note to self.
8222. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 2/19/2022, 10:27AM EST
I was never much of a bourbon fan. Preferred scotch. But damn if it didn't grow on me.

WT101 is a favorite. It's cheap, too.

The Russell's Reserve was $67 at Total Wine in CA, but I think Whistle said he found it for $53 in Texas.

I found it to be buttery smooth, not overly sweet, and for a 100 proof hooch... not much of a bite. That could have been because I'd already had a couple whiskey sours, though. Anxious
8223. Author: gummy jonesDate: Sat, 2/19/2022, 10:28AM EST
Our RR 10 year is like 35 and single barrel is like 55
8224. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 2/23/2022, 7:37PM EST
Sacrilege Warning:

Purists, read no further.

Double Screwball Peanut Butter Whiskey mixed in a cup of Hot Chocolate.

A.K.A. an Adult Reese's.
8225. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/23/2022, 7:40PM EST
That Skrewball is dangerous... but with hot cocoa? Was it like a Reese's? With a kick...
8226. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 2/23/2022, 8:19PM EST
MACS wrote:
That Skrewball is dangerous... but with hot cocoa? Was it like a Reese's? With a kick...

Little to no initial kick. Was only in the cup five minutes.
Can hear the rumble of something starting to kick off in my brain.

Alcohol insurgence against weakened brain cell deference.

My own personal Dumb Ass Dombas conflict within the borders of my skull.

8227. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/23/2022, 8:37PM EST
Buddy, Rob, came over Monday and tried the Russell's Reserve. Liked it.

Made him an old fashioned with the Barrell bourbon and he was like, "damn!".

2 drinks, 2 smokes, a whole lot of yap-flappin' and we called it a day.
8228. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Wed, 2/23/2022, 10:42PM EST
MACS wrote:
I was never much of a bourbon fan. Preferred scotch. But damn if it didn't grow on me.

WT101 is a favorite. It's cheap, too.

The Russell's Reserve was $67 at Total Wine in CA, but I think Whistle said he found it for $53 in Texas.

I found it to be buttery smooth, not overly sweet, and for a 100 proof hooch... not much of a bite. That could have been because I'd already had a couple whiskey sours, though. Anxious

WT 101 is a staple here as well.

Yes RR SB was $53 in Texas......and well worth it

Yes on the buttery smooth and not overly sweet but it's a 110 proof...........a small cube really opens up the complexity of this hooch.
8229. Author: Plowboy221Date: Fri, 2/25/2022, 9:46PM EST
Duggan's Dew
8230. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Fri, 2/25/2022, 10:34PM EST
Old Fashioned's ............Cooper's Craft #1,Wild Turkey 101 #2 ,Early Times BIB #3,#4 ????????
8231. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 2/25/2022, 11:32PM EST
been hemorrhaging money lately...VO on the rocks
about 4.5 fingers.
8232. Author: PalamaDate: Fri, 2/25/2022, 11:37PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
been hemorrhaging money lately...VO on the rocks
about 4.5 fingers.

Is the housework still going on?
8233. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 2/25/2022, 11:42PM EST
Palama wrote:

Or he adopted Hunter Biden...

Lord, I apologize...
8234. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 2/26/2022, 12:00AM EST
Palama wrote:

finally got started about two weeks ago. contractor is coming 3 or 4 days a week, he just happens to work part time as a building inspector in my town. Also knew me (better than I knew him) as he was/is a customer of the cabinet and countertop company I worked for until 3 years ago.

the damage happened in September. lost two bathrooms and a hallway. Insurance company sent an insult instead of a check. Fast forward to last week and a third check has arrived that should be sufficient.

Fortunately we had a third full bathroom that we have been sharing for five months. Also fortunately I worked for 22 years for an old friend who owns the cabinet and countertop shop(s) and helped him grow the business...so I am pretty well set for excellent locally made quality products.

But it's not the same joyous feeling as it would have been had we decided to upgrade with remodeling as a plan. This was a disaster, but far from our worst problem...so what can you do?
8235. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 2/26/2022, 12:12AM EST
Glad to hear it’s moving along. ThumpUp

I’mma sure a planned renovation would have been better, maybe nicer, but like you said, what you gonna do?
8236. Author: Cigareeper89Date: Sat, 2/26/2022, 12:20AM EST
Rabbit hole
8237. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 2/26/2022, 12:41AM EST
Jim Beam Black & Buffalo Trace.
8238. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 2/26/2022, 10:58AM EST
Cigareeper89 wrote:
Rabbit hole

whiskey, or bathroom suggestion?
8239. Author: Plowboy221Date: Sat, 2/26/2022, 7:40PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
chicken cÔck, in the corn hole bathroom

Sea bass was here……

8240. Author: xXxHOSSxXxDate: Sat, 2/26/2022, 9:26PM EST
Springbank 15 before bed.
This dram, for me, requires no smoking - which means every hour in the day, but the final hour, is not the right time for this one.
One of the best mouth wash routines around, IMHO. ;)
8241. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 2/26/2022, 10:10PM EST
Made muhself an old fashioned... with Basil Hayden this time. Pretty damn good.
8242. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 2/26/2022, 10:22PM EST
Four Roses Small Batch. Fully ripened peach, pear and apricot. So good. That was it for bourbon today.

Never invested any time or thought into ryes until recently. A true Rye Noob. Always looked at rye as a subpar replacement for bourbon for people with problems with sugar. Total rye experience to date.

Jim Beam Rye…. Blech.
Whistle Pig Piggy Back… Spicy, maybe?

Today, sampled Angel’s Envy Rye. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 proof, I’m told. Should have looked into that prior to taking a long, luxurious, slow pull. Slosh, chew, release.

Seems lazy to say Spicy again. Maybe I need to learn some adjectives.

Disappeared down my throat. Then was brought back to the first week of Wisconsin in October, when the furnace belches forward the first rolling ball of heat of the season and you aren’t sure whether you smelled or tasted smoke, but feel like you did- or didn’t. Unexpected.

I think I liked it. Quite a bit maybe.

Anybody else tried Angels Envy? Any regular rye whiskey drinkers here? Intrigued.
8243. Author: Plowboy221Date: Sat, 2/26/2022, 10:54PM EST
☝🏻 Angels envy is good, Old Overholt BIB (red cap) for a win in the bargain department (they must have recently changed it up it’s damn good imo).
High west double rye is another good one imo
8244. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 2/26/2022, 10:58PM EST
spicy is generally the correct adjective for rye. Bourbons with rye are definitely spicier than wheated bourbons, for example.

prior to Prohibition, American rye was THE American whiskey. During Prohibition, Canadian blended ryes were snuck in and kind of destroyed the legacy of real rye.
But it is making a comeback.
8245. Author: Plowboy221Date: Sat, 2/26/2022, 11:15PM EST
Dickel Tabasco Barrel Finish
8246. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Sat, 2/26/2022, 11:16PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Four Roses Small Batch. Fully ripened peach, pear and apricot. So good. That was it for bourbon today.

Never invested any time or thought into ryes until recently. A true Rye Noob. Always looked at rye as a subpar replacement for bourbon for people with problems with sugar. Total rye experience to date.

Jim Beam Rye…. Blech.
Whistle Pig Piggy Back… Spicy, maybe?

Today, sampled Angel’s Envy Rye. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 proof, I’m told. Should have looked into that prior to taking a long, luxurious, slow pull. Slosh, chew, release.

Seems lazy to say Spicy again. Maybe I need to learn some adjectives.

Disappeared down my throat. Then was brought back to the first week of Wisconsin in October, when the furnace belches forward the first rolling ball of heat of the season and you aren’t sure whether you smelled or tasted smoke, but feel like you did- or didn’t. Unexpected.

I think I liked it. Quite a bit maybe.

Anybody else tried Angels Envy? Any regular rye whiskey drinkers here? Intrigued.

Must tries are Wild Turkey 101 rye,Old Forester rye and Sazerac rye........none of these will break the bank and I think you'll be pleased with all three
8247. Author: MACSDate: Sun, 2/27/2022, 3:01AM EST
Made my neighbor a whiskey sour. Four roses single barrel. Made another with Barrel bourbon. Made another.

I smoked a cigar. He smoked a doobie. Good times. G'night then...
8248. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 2/27/2022, 1:34PM EST
Thanks for the rye explanations and accompanying rye smiles.
8249. Author: PalamaDate: Mon, 2/28/2022, 1:54AM EST
Lagavulin 16

Here's to you Kev!
8250. Author: xXxHOSSxXxDate: Wed, 3/2/2022, 6:16PM EST
Balcones 1: because America can make some damn fine single malts, too.
Texas might have hurricanes, tornadoes and golf ball sized hail, but this here whiskey is just another of its redeeming qualities.
Cheers, gents!
FirstPrev163164165166167NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic