Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev34567NextLast
" The Bat out of Hell 500"
201. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 2:11PM EST
^Valid points.

Tank and I occasionally run wild on some trails in Meadowview Park. https://tinyurl.com/yckzr7sx

I usually park the truck near the red marker on that map. Then we go in there and walk around the entire perimeter. Lots of up and down steep hills, plenty of ground squirrels, rabbits, birds, etc in the area.

We've come face to face with a single coyote and it was bigger than Tank. Like 12-15 feet away from us. It did not run away. Tank lunged at it and the little fugger lunged back! Then when I yelled it backed off about 10-20 feet, then turned and left. Maybe the fur made it look bigger? I dunno... Tank is short, but he's all muscle and bone.

Seen the whole clan on a walk, too. 5 of them. All full grown, and none looked hungry. That's when I decided to start carrying the slingshot when we go there. Today we arrived at 8:15 and left around 9:10am. Takes us 45-60 minutes to walk around the whole place. Depending on how many times he gets distracted by a rabbit. lol

Did not see any of them today. And you are correct, coyotes will not usually mess with something that can potentially hurt them... which is why I said Tank by submission. 1 on 1 the coyote will back down long before Tank would.
202. Author: Gene363Date: Tue, 2/1/2022, 2:51PM EST
Western coyotes are a lot smaller than those that are moving down the eastern seacoast. The coyotes we had in the San Gabriel mountains above LA,CA were about half the size of one coyote I saw at a remote sight in the Savannah River Site here in South Carolina. The DNA of coyotes here show they interbreed with Canadian wolves as they moved across North America dn down the eastern seaboard.

Living in the mountains for nine years I got to see a lot of coyotes. They would kill domestic dogs by leading them of into an ambush with their buddies. But they are not going to risk getting hurt, they hunt to eat and only fight to survive.

Our dog buffalo was really big, way more than 100 pounds and fearless, I heard him jump a lone coyote one night. That said, one time he disappeared for three days, we thought he was dead. He got back to the house, he was hungry, thirsty, and not hurt, but he was nervous as hell. He was constantly looking behind himself and around. Something put the fear into him and he never took off again, well, except to knock up the neighbors dogs. d'oh!
203. Author: Gene363Date: Tue, 2/1/2022, 2:55PM EST

Woman: "I love the way you feel inside me."

Surgeon: "Why the hell is she awake!"
204. Author: danmdevriesDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 5:07PM EST
Was a nice warm day today. Snow started melting, then it started raining. Sposeda freeze and turn into snow over ice. That should be fun.

Dug out the snowblower and forgot about how I was dposeda fix it during the warm months but never did. Just needs a float bowl gasket. Went to 3 stores trying to just find an o ring to buy time so I could use it if we do get all the snow they're predicting. Didn't find one. My carb kit wont be here till Monday.
205. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 5:22PM EST
Time to teach the boy the fine art of shoveling
206. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 5:22PM EST
Boy was still rambunctious so we walked the 1.5 miles to the dog park. Ran around that place for 45 minutes to an hour and walked back home. Prolly a little over 3.5 hours of activity for the little guy today.

He just now ate his 2 cups of kibble and he's laying at my feet. Guaran-damn-teed he gets up in an hour and starts bringing me toys.

I shoulda got a greyhound... d'oh!
207. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 6:19PM EST
MACS wrote:
Boy was still rambunctious so we walked the 1.5 miles to the dog park. Ran around that place for 45 minutes to an hour and walked back home. Prolly a little over 3.5 hours of activity for the little guy today.

He just now ate his 2 cups of kibble and he's laying at my feet. Guaran-damn-teed he gets up in an hour and starts bringing me toys.

I shoulda got a greyhound... d'oh!

Then you woulda hadda run around a racetrack with him! d'oh!
208. Author: danmdevriesDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 7:13PM EST
Sunoverbeach wrote:
Time to teach the boy the fine art of shoveling

I try. Every snowfall. He gets about 4 sq ft cleared while I do the rest of the driveway.

He definitely takes after the wife more than he takes after me. If something's hard, he less than halfasses it. Like asking the wife to help me lift something into the truck. 100lb generator she can't lift and I have to do it solo. But if she wants me to pick up something for her she can easily split load on a 100lb wooden table.

I'll be sleeping all day tomorrow, so wife's on her own for shoveling the driveway.
209. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 10:19PM EST
deadeyedick wrote:
Injuries on a wild animal can be fatal. They can't call a vet to patch them up.

Could they call Fox News? Think
210. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 10:26PM EST
Palama wrote:
Then you woulda hadda run around a racetrack with him! d'oh!

Nope.
You’d walk em for 25 minutes and they’d work hard to get caught up on their 8 hours of naps during the day.

They sleep or lounge 12-18 hours a day. Other than that daily walk, they are never on their feet for more than fifteen minutes at a time.

Five greyhounds ( currently puppy sitting for another), they all have the same mo.
211. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 10:45PM EST
^I knew you'd be along to set the record straight, so I poured myself a cup of shaddup.
212. Author: danmdevriesDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 11:05PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Nope.
You’d walk em for 25 minutes and they’d work hard to get caught up on their 8 hours of naps during the day.

They sleep or lounge 12-18 hours a day. Other than that daily walk, they are never on their feet for more than fifteen minutes at a time.

Five greyhounds ( currently puppy sitting for another), they all have the same mo.

When the wife wanted to get a dog 10 years ago I suggested greyhounds. She said they're too high energy always wanna go. I said no, they sprint and sleep. Had a friend growing up who only ever had greyhounds and they were always napping. But she wanted what she thought she was getting with a big fluffy dog...

We got a German shepherd x husky mutt. Wanna talk about high strung never rest and stubborn af.
213. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 2/1/2022, 11:54PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Nope.

Interesting. Never knew anyone that owned one so good to know.
214. Author: PalamaDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 1:52AM EST
For the first time that either of could remember, my wife and I decided to order some Chinese food to celebrate Chinese New Year. Kung Hee Fat Choy!

Unfortunately, we weren't the only ones who had that same thought. d'oh!

Placed an online order with a restaurant about a 1-1/2 miles from our house for pick up at 5:30. Got there and the parking lot was PACKED and people standing outside the restaurant. Had to (illegally) park next door and then when I got to the end of the line, found out they were waiting to get through the door to pick up their food too. Ended up waiting for 2 hours and when we opened up the boxes, most of the food was close to being cold, lukewarm at best. Thank goodness for microwaves.

Still enjoyed the food but we vowed to never get takeout Chinese food on Chinese New Year ever again. Not talking

Next year we're gonna get some takeout Japanese! fog
215. Author: corey sellersDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 5:54AM EST
Morning gents
216. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 5:59AM EST
HHD Ram & dudes
217. Author: Ram27Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 6:46AM EST
Happy Hump Day y'all..........
218. Author: danmdevriesDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 6:54AM EST
HHD

Taking a break from shoveling snow right now. It's wet heavy slop, cant push it all to the sides and scoop from there. Every bite is a dig and toss. 30 minutes in and only halfway through.
219. Author: Burner02Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 8:06AM EST
56/68 with rain throughout the day. Wind 15 to 20 with gust to 30.
220. Author: danmdevriesDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 8:27AM EST
Wasn't quite halfway shoveling when I declared halfway.

Took me a bit over an hour and a half. Wife came out at 7 and helped finish and shovel the whole thing a second pass because the snow is coming down so fast there was already an inch on the driveway where I'd started.

Snow was to the bottom of my trucks wheel hubs. 8 maybe 10 inches and still coming down hard. School got cancelled and garbage pickup cancelled for the week.
221. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 8:32AM EST
MACS wrote:
^Valid points.

Tank and I occasionally run wild on some trails in Meadowview Park. https://tinyurl.com/yckzr7sx

I usually park the truck near the red marker on that map. Then we go in there and walk around the entire perimeter. Lots of up and down steep hills, plenty of ground squirrels, rabbits, birds, etc in the area.

We've come face to face with a single coyote and it was bigger than Tank. Like 12-15 feet away from us. It did not run away. Tank lunged at it and the little fugger lunged back! Then when I yelled it backed off about 10-20 feet, then turned and left. Maybe the fur made it look bigger? I dunno... Tank is short, but he's all muscle and bone.

Seen the whole clan on a walk, too. 5 of them. All full grown, and none looked hungry. That's when I decided to start carrying the slingshot when we go there. Today we arrived at 8:15 and left around 9:10am. Takes us 45-60 minutes to walk around the whole place. Depending on how many times he gets distracted by a rabbit. lol

Did not see any of them today. And you are correct, coyotes will not usually mess with something that can potentially hurt them... which is why I said Tank by submission. 1 on 1 the coyote will back down long before Tank would.

Carry one of those boat air horns. A blast from that will have any wild animal running for the hills.
222. Author: deadeyedickDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 8:32AM EST
HHD gents. Imma shoveling sunshine and a few clouds. Might even rain later but it's 10% chance which is to say a trace at most. Got a bid yesterday to redo all the pool cool deck and repair a few chips around the pool edge. $3400

Friggin' pool. I'm thinking of filling it in.
223. Author: Ram27Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 8:40AM EST
COMMANDERS !
224. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 8:57AM EST
Good Wednesday Morning! It's a cloudy 44° on the way to 67° today. Off to the range again today.
225. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 9:21AM EST
danmdevries wrote:
When the wife wanted to get a dog 10 years ago I suggested greyhounds. She said they're too high energy always wanna go. I said no, they sprint and sleep. Had a friend growing up who only ever had greyhounds and they were always napping. But she wanted what she thought she was getting with a big fluffy dog...

We got a German shepherd x husky mutt. Wanna talk about high strung never rest and stubborn af.

Going to give your wife the benefit of the doubt (blazing a whole new trail).

Perhaps she was thinking of Italian Greyhounds. They are the portable sized grey. Usually 30-35 pounds. They are higher strung schizophrenics.

The only downside to a regular greyhound is when they are outside of the house, they need to be on a leash.
Thousands of years of Kill da wabbit hard wired into their systems won’t be bred out of them anytime soon. Although the amount of prey instinct does vary.

They get Cat Tested when they come off the track to see if they could coexist with a home with a cat.
They fall into one of two categories… 1- Likes Cats. 2- Likes Cat.

The poor cat they test with must be a nervous wreck.
226. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 9:23AM EST
MACS wrote:
^I knew you'd be along to set the record straight, so I poured myself a cup of shaddup.

ThumpUp
227. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 9:26AM EST
Palama wrote:
For the first time that either of could remember, my wife and I decided to order some Chinese food to celebrate Chinese New Year. Kung Hee Fat Choy!

Placed an online order with a restaurant about a 1-1/2 miles from our house for pick up at 5:30. Got there and the parking lot was PACKED and people standing outside the restaurant. Had to (illegally) park next door and then when I got to the end of the line, found out they were waiting to get through the door to pick up their food too. Ended up waiting for 2 hours and when we opened up the boxes, most of the food was close to being cold, lukewarm at best. Thank goodness for microwaves.

Still enjoyed the food but we vowed to never get takeout Chinese food on Chinese New Year ever again. Not talking

Year of the Tiger. Bengals win the SB?
228. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 9:32AM EST
Tank was good with Phoebe. Touched noses and he licked her face. She swatted him and ran away. Until she passed, he kept trying to play with her to no avail. She'd hide under tables and chairs or whatever was near.

I think it made him mad. If he sees a cat in the neighborhood and he's off leash... he chases it. Much like rabbits, they're too agile for him. I say agile because this little sh*t is fast. But he's also solid muscle, so when he gets going in one direction... he can't turn very well and slides or rolls. lol
229. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 9:53AM EST
MACS wrote:
Tank was good with Phoebe. Touched noses and he licked her face. She swatted him and ran away. Until she passed, he kept trying to play with her to no avail. She'd hide under tables and chairs or whatever was near.

I think it made him mad. If he sees a cat in the neighborhood and he's off leash... he chases it. Much like rabbits, they're too agile for him. I say agile because this little sh*t is fast. But he's also solid muscle, so when he gets going in one direction... he can't turn very well and slides or rolls. lol

Similar to the Looney Tunes cartoons.
230. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 10:02AM EST
Dude was doing "zoomies" at the big meadow we walk in. Ran directly over a rabbit and didn't even see it. Rabbit ran off in the opposite direction. It was hilarious.

Like Looney Tunes.
231. Author: Stogie1020Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 11:15AM EST
Palama wrote:

I feel like there should be some unwritten rule to get Jewish food on Chinese New Years... You know, quid pro quo for Christmas day...
232. Author: Ram27Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 1:36PM EST
Today is 2 2 22 .Herfing
233. Author: PalamaDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 1:59PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:
I feel like there should be some unwritten rule to get Jewish food on Chinese New Years... You know, quid pro quo for Christmas day...

I could go for a good pastrami sammich right now. Anxious
234. Author: Speyside2Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 2:06PM EST
Afternoon all. Looking forward to returning to Nevada in a few days, also maybe go somewhere warm for a bit.

I had a Staffonshire once in Sconnie she tangled with a coyote, the coyote headed for the hills quite quick missing a chunk of neck and bleeding profusely. Took her to the vet ASAP and got her the appropriate shots. She need a couple of stitches.
235. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 2:14PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:

Is there ever a line for Jewish food?!
236. Author: Stogie1020Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 2:14PM EST
Palama wrote:
I could go for a good pastrami sammich right now. Anxious

Count me in. Never I time I couldn't go for a good pastrami sammich.

Somewhere in the archives (read "basement") of my parents house, there is a picture of me and my younger brother at Katz's in NY. I musta been about 7 and he was 1. He is teething on a giant dill pickle while I try to get my maw around a pastrami on rye.
237. Author: Stogie1020Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 2:19PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Is there ever a line for Jewish food?!

yup...

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/H4OmgoS4qH1E5DMj3wzJFvxq5AA=/0x0:2048x1360/1820x728/filters:focal(917x441:1243x767):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/65126060/KatzLine.0.jpg
238. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 3:57PM EST
Heading out a little early. Snow plow operations have been suspended in both counties I have to drive through. Good times ahead
239. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 4:26PM EST
Drive carefully, brochacho...
240. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 5:19PM EST
Made it. Wife is happy. Life is good.

Now, who wants to head over here and hit up this driveway for me?
241. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 5:31PM EST
sunny but strong gusty winds...high of 62, but with the winds, feels mid 50's...gonna pick up a burrito for lunch
242. Author: PalamaDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 5:32PM EST
Sunoverbeach wrote:
Made it. Wife is happy. Life is good.

Now, who wants to head over here and hit up this driveway for me?

Glad you made it home safely. ThumpUp
243. Author: PalamaDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 5:37PM EST
delta1 wrote:
sunny but strong gusty winds...high of 62, but with the winds, feels mid 50's...gonna pick up a burrito for lunch

I could go for a burrito right now.

Holding off on lunch until we pick up our oldest granddaughter. She gets out early today so as a treat, we go to McDonald’s. McNuggets, fries and fruit punch is her standard order. I’ll probably get a McDouble or a Filet ‘o fish.
244. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 5:45PM EST
Chile Verde burrito was deelish...

I have to avoid taking the kids to McDonalds...I always get a Big Mac AND a Filet O Fish
245. Author: PalamaDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 5:54PM EST
delta1 wrote:

I have to avoid taking the kids to McDonalds...I always get a Big Mac AND a Filet O Fish

Good thing we’re not doing the weight loss thread anymore. d'oh!
246. Author: danmdevriesDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 6:04PM EST
Looks like the snow finally stopped. In all we got over a foot since midnight.
247. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 6:12PM EST
delta1 wrote:

"Chile Verde burrito" and "McDonalds" in the same post, I threw up a little in my mouth. I really enjoy a good hamburger or fried fish sandwich, but not from McDonald's. I love Chili Verde, one of our sons treated me to Mexican lunch last week at a local Mexican restaurant that makes everything from scratch, I had pork Chili Verde, fantastic.
248. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 2/2/2022, 6:29PM EST
that tangy green roasted tomatillo sauce with tender chunks of pork is my fave Mexican meal...

don't do Mickey D's often, maybe 2-3 times a year when we're baby-sitting the grand girls and can't talk them out of a Happy Meal...I need to speak to my daughter and SIL about how they're looking after the kids' nutritional health...
249. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 6:31PM EST
In an Obit, when you read Died Unexpectantly, I only think of one cause.

Does DU have other non-solo lethal causes of death?
250. Author: tonygrazDate: Wed, 2/2/2022, 7:10PM EST
Dan's storm is heading my way. Rain supposed to start in the morning. Just got out of the driveway yesterday. Rain getting heavy in the afternoon and through the night followed by ice and sleet on Friday ending with some snow. Gonna be a mess and who knows when I'll get out to go shopping again. Spent today hopping some ice and opening drainage. Getting sick of storm after storm.
FirstPrev34567NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic