America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 4 hours ago by izonfire. 42 replies replies.
New guy, looking for some guidance.
USNGunner Offline
#1 Posted:
Joined: 05-17-2019
Posts: 8
Hi All. Newbie here, just got back into cigars after kicking the cigarette habit for good. 10 years anyway. Figure I'm safe. :) I've been perusing the forums but I'm not hip to half the brands/cigars you guys are talking about. My streams only about a half inch deep and 6 inches wide. d'oh!

I'll be upfront, I'm a Drew Estate fan. I've got a box of the Larutan Dirt Torpedoes, Sweet Janes, a few different Tabaks and some assorted other cigars.

I've tried the Opus X and didn't really care for them at the time, but it's been awhile. I liked Cohiba's, Punch and I like the Romeo y Julieta's I've tried.

What's some nice middle of the road smokes to give a go? There is no decent smoke shops around here, so online is my go to. The one here in the Quad Cities area has a mold/bloom issue in their humidor depending on who you talk to. Anxious

I've got my humidor stable at 65/70@70ish, and I'm liking the way it's maintaining so I think I'm good to stock up on a few varieties to try. My neighbor and I like to hit the firepit and have a beer and a cigar, or some good bourbon. Sometimes the rum. Primarily good beer.

So, what say you guys. Thanks.
KingoftheCove Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,395
Don’t invest heavily in infused cigars (Sweet Jane) ........you will most likely quit smoking them.
Don’t store your infused cigars with your regular cigars.
Don’t go camping with Z.

Do try cigars from My Father, Crowned Heads, Arturo Fuente, Padron, Illusione, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust, Tatuaje, La Flor de Dominicana and Litto Gomez, and some of the Kristoffs and La Palinas........to name a few...
clintCigar Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 05-14-2019
Posts: 67
Welcome to the money pit! LOL I'm a n00b here too but I'm coming from where you are. I'm a big DE fan as well. I smoked the Acid, Java Maduro's and several Larutan's (formerly Natural) line for a few years before I started branching out. I like the Tabaks as well. A few of my favs since those are as follows:(in no particular order)

Rocky Patel Vintage 1979
Romeo y Julieta 1875
Romeo y Julieta House of Capulet
Esteban Carreras Mr. Brownstone Maduro (this one is REALLY good IMO)
HC Series White Shade Grown
Drew Estate Herrera Esteli (courtesy of CigarLady7)
Drew Estate Liga Privada No 9
Drew Estate Deadwood Sweet Jane
CAO Black
Rico Barato Connecticut
Sancho Panza Triple Anejo
Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2 (Nicaraguan)
Montecristo Media Noche
Montecristo (brown label from Dominican Republic)
Foundation Highclere Castle
Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur


I'll try to remember to post back here as I find more favs.
izonfire Offline
#4 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 546
Don’t listen to King. He’s got a skewed perspective from his throne.
Z’s a great guy. Introduce yourself. Get to know him. Spend some quality time together.
You won’t regret it
Whistlebritches Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 17,408
If you're a DE fan try the Undercrown Maduro and my favorite the Sungrown.Try some Arturo Fuente Magnum R's,858's and Hemingway's...…...especially the sungrowns.La Flor Dominicana Ligero and Double Ligero's are especially good.


BTW damn glad to meet ya...….MA1,5 years on tin cans and another 5 in SBU 12 & 26
Sunoverbeach Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 1,388
Welcome. I recommend you try all of them. Otherwise you don't know what you're missing
USNGunner Offline
#7 Posted:
Joined: 05-17-2019
Posts: 8
KingoftheCove wrote:
Don’t invest heavily in infused cigars (Sweet Jane) ........you will most likely quit smoking them.
Don’t store your infused cigars with your regular cigars.
Don’t go camping with Z.

Do try cigars from My Father, Crowned Heads, Arturo Fuente, Padron, Illusione, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust, Tatuaje, La Flor de Dominicana and Litto Gomez, and some of the Kristoffs and La Palinas........to name a few...


Thanks, I appreciate the pointers.

USNGunner Offline
#8 Posted:
Joined: 05-17-2019
Posts: 8
Whistlebritches wrote:
If you're a DE fan try the Undercrown Maduro and my favorite the Sungrown.Try some Arturo Fuente Magnum R's,858's and Hemingway's...…...especially the sungrowns.La Flor Dominicana Ligero and Double Ligero's are especially good.


BTW damn glad to meet ya...….MA1,5 years on tin cans and another 5 in SBU 12 & 26


Thanks. Good to know another Rat. Gunners Mate Guns, Retired. Did some time at SBU XI back in the mid 80's. It was a shore duty billet for us. Way before the SWCC boys made it cool. Spent more time deployed on shore duty than some sea billets. ;) Loved every minute of it. Great times, great friends.

I'll check the out the recommendations. I got to work down some room in the humidor. :D
USNGunner Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 05-17-2019
Posts: 8
Appreciate all the feedback. I'm here for the long haul. Good to meet you guys. Looking forward to the journey.
Palama Offline
#10 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 11,359
Mahalo for your service. ThumpUp

In addition to trying a wide array of cigars, another thing you might wanna do is keep track of the:

1. Origins (...Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Honduras, etc...)
2. Wrappers (...Connecticut, Broadleaf, Habano, Sumatra, etc...)
3. Binders and Fillers

If you keep some decent notes, you may be able to figure out what your wheelhouse might be and avoid blends you don’t like.
izonfire Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 546
Try samplers or score a fiver here and there based on write-ups ups describing what you think you may like.
USNGunner Offline
#12 Posted:
Joined: 05-17-2019
Posts: 8
Palama wrote:
Mahalo for your service. ThumpUp

In addition to trying a wide array of cigars, another thing you might wanna do is keep track of the:

1. Origins (...Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Honduras, etc...)
2. Wrappers (...Connecticut, Broadleaf, Habano, Sumatra, etc...)
3. Binders and Fillers

If you keep some decent notes, you may be able to figure out what your wheelhouse might be and avoid blends you don’t like.


You're welcome. I loved my job. Great folks, a mission I believed in.

Good advice on the cigar journey, it appeals to my technical side. Thank you. :D

USNGunner Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 05-17-2019
Posts: 8
izonfire wrote:
Try samplers or score a fiver here and there based on write-ups ups describing what you think you may like.


I've been trying that. I knew I loved the Natural Dirt Torpedos, so I bought those and those came with a 10 cigar sampler of DE. I loved the Toast. The Deadwood Crazy Alice pyramids intrigued me so I got those too. Thus the Tabak order. So I will be giving the samplers a go. :D
CelticBomber Offline
#14 Posted:
Joined: 05-03-2012
Posts: 3,928
USNGunner wrote:
I've been trying that. I knew I loved the Natural Dirt Torpedos, so I bought those and those came with a 10 cigar sampler of DE. I loved the Toast. The Deadwood Crazy Alice pyramids intrigued me so I got those too. Thus the Tabak order. So I will be giving the samplers a go. :D



You should also head on over the the trade forum and get involved in the noob pib. Trade a few fivers and people will generally trade you stuff you've never had but might love. Just mention if you prefer mild, medium or full bodied smoked and if you know what wrapper you favor mention that. The wrapper type is really important to the taste of your cigars. Stick around a bit and eventually some might just dip into their humidor and send you some stuff to try. Oh yeah read the two n00b threads in general to learn the acronyms, etc. They will help out a lot! Welcome to the start of hoarding cigars like a prepper Herfing

Welcome aboard.
RMAN4443 Online
#15 Posted:
Joined: 09-29-2016
Posts: 5,363
Welcome to the madness...Beer
Don't forget to give the DE Undercrown Shades a try

and now for the important stuff....Ginger or Maryann??Think
CelticBomber Offline
#16 Posted:
Joined: 05-03-2012
Posts: 3,928
RMAN4443 wrote:
Welcome to the madness...Beer
Don't forget to give the DE Undercrown Shades a try

and now for the important stuff....Ginger or Maryann??Think



Better say Mary Annram27bat



jespear Offline
#17 Posted:
Joined: 03-19-2004
Posts: 8,483
CelticBomber wrote:
Better say Mary Annram27bat





C'mon now, CB . . . We all KNOW you preferred Mrs Howell !


jespear Offline
#18 Posted:
Joined: 03-19-2004
Posts: 8,483
USNGunner :
Please forgive my tardiness, but WELCOME ABOARD, and Thank You for your service !
I have no doubts you will like it here.
CelticBomber Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 05-03-2012
Posts: 3,928
jespear wrote:
C'mon now, CB . . . We all KNOW you preferred Mrs Howell !




Don't joke! She had the look of a real goer!
Speyside Offline
#20 Posted:
Joined: 03-16-2015
Posts: 7,850
You know that really isn't a question. There is only one answer, Mary Ann.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#21 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 1,388
^° this is true, but it's a good way to weed out the riff raff
RobertHively Offline
#22 Posted:
Joined: 01-14-2015
Posts: 466
#2 Good list King, but no Oliva?? Good quality cigars for the money.
RobertHively Offline
#23 Posted:
Joined: 01-14-2015
Posts: 466
Btw I'm marking this down too... I already knew the old and decrepit get a pass, but veterans too? Interesting.

Whenever I do my introduction I"m going to start out by saying I'm super old, gots the rheumatoid arthritis and fought on D-day. You guys will love it!

Have a good weekend!
steve02 Offline
#24 Posted:
Joined: 05-20-2004
Posts: 685
USNGunner wrote:
Hi All. Newbie here, just got back into cigars after kicking the cigarette habit for good. 10 years anyway. Figure I'm safe. :) I've been perusing the forums but I'm not hip to half the brands/cigars you guys are talking about. My streams only about a half inch deep and 6 inches wide. d'oh!

I'll be upfront, I'm a Drew Estate fan. I've got a box of the Larutan Dirt Torpedoes, Sweet Janes, a few different Tabaks and some assorted other cigars.

I've tried the Opus X and didn't really care for them at the time, but it's been awhile. I liked Cohiba's, Punch and I like the Romeo y Julieta's I've tried.

What's some nice middle of the road smokes to give a go? There is no decent smoke shops around here, so online is my go to. The one here in the Quad Cities area has a mold/bloom issue in their humidor depending on who you talk to. Anxious

I've got my humidor stable at 65/70@70ish, and I'm liking the way it's maintaining so I think I'm good to stock up on a few varieties to try. My neighbor and I like to hit the firepit and have a beer and a cigar, or some good bourbon. Sometimes the rum. Primarily good beer.

So, what say you guys. Thanks.


Ooooh, a newbie and a vet to boot. PM me your address and I'll send you a small sample to get you started 🤔
izonfire Offline
#25 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 546
RobertHively wrote:
Whenever I do my introduction


You just did it, Bobby Beekeeper

RobertHively wrote:
I already knew the old and decrepit get a pass, but veterans too?

Whenever I do my introduction I"m going to start out by saying I'm super old, gots the rheumatoid arthritis and fought on D-day.


That all depends. Which side were you on?

Are you a Nazi?
CelticBomber Offline
#26 Posted:
Joined: 05-03-2012
Posts: 3,928
steve02 wrote:
Ooooh, a newbie and a vet to boot. PM me your address and I'll send you a small sample to get you started 🤔


Hah beat ya to it. I took the initiative and PM'd HIM! He's a vet God damn it. Do you expect him to pack his own cigars too? SHAME! Shame I say!Frying pan
CelticBomber Offline
#27 Posted:
Joined: 05-03-2012
Posts: 3,928
izonfire wrote:
You just did it, Bobby Beekeeper



That all depends. Which side were you on?

Are you a Nazi?



I like the way you think. You should be in charge of vetting all vets! I ain't sending my cigars to no commie soldier!Shame on you
tonygraz Offline
#28 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 10,753
To determine who you are and decide upon your forum worthiness, please answer the following simple questions:

Pancakes or waffles ?
Do you like long walks on the beach ?
Daisy Mae or Ellie Mae ?
Do you like camping by the river ?
Cello on or cello off ?
Ginger or MaryAnn ?
David Lee or Sammy ?
Warner Oland or Sidney Toler ?
Have you been in a Turkish prison ?
Do you like gladiator movies ?
dogs or cats ?
Men or women ?
Wad or fold ?
Sit or squat ?
corey sellers Offline
#29 Posted:
Joined: 08-21-2011
Posts: 5,363
Thanks Tony looks like you got it all covered
RobertHively Offline
#30 Posted:
Joined: 01-14-2015
Posts: 466
izonfire wrote:
You just did it, Bobby Beekeeper



That all depends. Which side were you on?

Are you a Nazi?


"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."
izonfire Offline
#31 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 546
Does the dude you’re playing get jealous?
RobertHively Offline
#32 Posted:
Joined: 01-14-2015
Posts: 466
"You're a dude that dont know what dude he is"
clintCigar Offline
#33 Posted:
Joined: 05-14-2019
Posts: 67
RobertHively wrote:
"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."



love that movie lmao
izonfire Offline
#34 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 546
You sound confused.
A dude involved with two other dudes.

You should meet Z.
He helps confused young men.
That’s his specialty
izonfire Offline
#35 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 546
tonygraz wrote:
To determine who you are and decide upon your forum worthiness, please answer the following simple questions:

Pancakes or waffles ?
Do you like long walks on the beach ?
Daisy Mae or Ellie Mae ?
Do you like camping by the river ?
Cello on or cello off ?
Ginger or MaryAnn ?
David Lee or Sammy ?
Warner Oland or Sidney Toler ?
Have you been in a Turkish prison ?
Do you like gladiator movies ?
dogs or cats ?
Men or women ?
Wad or fold ?
Sit or squat ?


Ya gotta answer Tony's questions
izonfire Offline
#36 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 546
C’mon Bobby!
As a beekeeper, you had to have been stung more than once.

You can do this!
izonfire Offline
#37 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 546
OK Clint.
PM this guy and let him know how cool it is here.

Or am I letting him off too easy?
Guys?

I can’t make the decision for ya.
I’m still under double secret probation
clintCigar Offline
#38 Posted:
Joined: 05-14-2019
Posts: 67
izonfire wrote:
OK Clint.
PM this guy and let him know how cool it is here.


LOL!!
Pudding Mittens Offline
#39 Posted:
Joined: 08-15-2016
Posts: 699
izonfire wrote:
Are you a Nazi?

Prepare to laugh your butt off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ5hXwo4De0

(Too bad the guy who typed the video's desc doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're", but oh well).
.
lance4824 Offline
#40 Posted:
Joined: 07-06-2018
Posts: 418
CelticBomber wrote:
You should also head on over the the trade forum and get involved in the noob pib. Trade a few fivers and people will generally trade you stuff you've never had but might love. Just mention if you prefer mild, medium or full bodied smoked and if you know what wrapper you favor mention that. The wrapper type is really important to the taste of your cigars. Stick around a bit and eventually some might just dip into their humidor and send you some stuff to try. Oh yeah read the two n00b threads in general to learn the acronyms, etc. They will help out a lot! Welcome to the start of hoarding cigars like a prepper Herfing

Welcome aboard.



http://www.cigarbid.com/...565/n00b-PIB#post4410565
KingoftheCove Offline
#41 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,395
RobertHively wrote:
#2 Good list King, but no Oliva?? Good quality cigars for the money.

Can’t give a noob EVERYTHING!
He has to discover some things on his own...
izonfire Offline
#42 Posted:
Joined: 12-09-2013
Posts: 546
Pudding Mittens wrote:
Prepare to laugh your butt off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ5hXwo4De0

(Too bad the guy who typed the video's desc doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're", but oh well).
.



Yeah, I've seen that guy's stand-up.
F'n hilarious!!!

LOL
Users browsing this topic
Guest (3)