Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Cigar lounges
1. Author: MraiaDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 10:54AM EST
There are a few local lounges that I may like to try. I’ve only been to one in Manhattan a few years ago with my boss.
Is there some etiquette that I should know about? I guess the proper thing is to buy a smoke there rather than bring your own.
Anybody here frequent these places?
2. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 11:15AM EST
Yes buy the cigar there. It’s very poor form to bring your own. May be asked to leave if you do. Don’t bug people. If they wanna chat, then chat it up. “Read the room”

Take your own cutter bro. I take my own lighter too cause sometimes you need a touch up. Def take your own cutter though.
3. Author: LeeBotDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 11:21AM EST
^ I´m interested in this. What is the deal with borrowing a cut? I remember being somewhere one time and only had a punch cutter, bought a torpedo, and had to bum a cut from someone. The lady acted really put out., even though she had a cutter in her hand.
4. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 11:35AM EST
I'd say everyone in your party buy at least one even though the prices might be outrageous as an attempt to try to keep cigar lounge afloat.

Here in MA, current laws/taxes make it nearly impossible to maintain a cigar bar/lounge. Some places charge a "cutting fee" if you brought your own and/or you had to make a purchase there. Sadly most cigar places in MA have been run out of business with the restrictions imposed on them.

What are the permit eligibility requirements for becoming a smoking bar?
An establishment must be:
1. A majority (at least 51%) of the bar’s revenue is from on-site sale of tobacco products;
2. Revenue from the sale of food, alcohol, or other beverages is incidental to the sale of tobacco products;
3. Prohibits any food or alcoholic beverage that are not sold directly by the business to be consumed on the
premises;
4. Prohibits entry to any person under the age of 18 during business hours;
5. Maintains a valid permit for retail sale of tobacco products required to be issued by the appropriate authority
in the city or town where the establishment is located;
6. Maintains a license (from Department of Revenue) to sell tobacco; and
7. Maintains a valid permit to operate a smoking bar issued by the Department of Revenue. Some local laws
may exist that either do not permit an exemption for such an establishment, or have additional conditions
that must be met before the establishment may permit smoking

https://www.mass.gov/doc/questions-about-cigar-and-hookah-bars/download

This doesn't apply to you but last time I looked, the entire state of MA has only 25 licensed cigar smoking bar/lounges permits (cigs are pretty much outlawed). Pretty sad really... only 25 places in the entire state are allowed to have cigar smoking and they need to maintain, at least, 51% of their sales from cigars. Drinks and food that they might serve do not count so the cigar prices are pretty crazy in order for them to maintain their cigar smoking permits.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/licensed-smoking-bar-permits/download
5. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 12:16PM EST
LeeBot wrote:
^ I´m interested in this. What is the deal with borrowing a cut? I remember being somewhere one time and only had a punch cutter, bought a torpedo, and had to bum a cut from someone. The lady acted really put out., even though she had a cutter in her hand.

Could be, and I stress could be, that some people are afraid that the person asking, has or will lick the cap prior to cutting the cigar. Or you’ve “violated” their space and they resent you for doing that. I’ve always lent people my cutter or lighter when asked ‘cause you never know when the shoe might be on the other foot.
6. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 1:02PM EST
I don’t think it’s bad form to smoke your own cigars if you’re also buying cigars there. Some do.
7. Author: DonJaimeDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 2:28PM EST
my wife schooled me on post cigar lounge ettiquette - get undressed on the back porch before coming in the house, and straight to the shower

After a couple of hours at JR's in Whippany I didn't blame her
8. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 2:43PM EST
Z I can bring my smokes to my local. It’s also my shpo and they protect me. I’ve done good business with them and I typically buy when I’m there also but he knows me well enough he doesn’t care. If I was new I think it may be different. That said going to the cigar lounge isn’t something I do very frequently

Lee. Cutter is just my thing. A lot of people do legit slobber on they smokes before they cut. I’m not like a germ freak by any means but I just feel like it’s better to have your own. I guess if I didn’t take one then I’d borrow but I’d rather borrow one from someone so I could do the lip study thing. 😂
9. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 2:46PM EST
Lee you could use my cutter. That’s fine but I’ve legit seen people even on YouTube be slobbin all up on the cigar before they clip. (Leemack912).
10. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 3:11PM EST
DonJaime wrote:
my wife schooled me on post cigar lounge ettiquette - get undressed on the back porch before coming in the house, and straight to the shower

After a couple of hours at JR's in Whippany I didn't blame her

Your wife is gonna get undressed and meet you in the shower?

Oh my! Lucky dog! ThumpUp

But, as Wheel (…or someone else of devious mind…) would say, “Pics or it never happened!” Gonz
11. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 3:19PM EST
I've never run into an issue borrowing or being asked to borrow a cut. I guessing Conan might be onto something with the fear of licking. Don't lick, even if you're not borrowing

Smoking your own or not depends on the shop. Some won't allow any outside smokes. Some will let you smoke as long as you buy from them. They gotta keep the lights on after all
12. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 3:54PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
I don’t think it’s bad form to smoke your own cigars if you’re also buying cigars there. Some do.

I’m not much of cigar lounge guy so the only place I’ve smoked in has been Casa Fuente. Bought and smoked from them the first visit. Thereafter I’ve bought but brought my own to smoke. Can’t say 100% but purdy sure I’ve spent over $100 for cigars and drinks every time I’ve been there.
13. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 3:58PM EST
Checked with them when I was there. They let me smoke mine as long as I bought a drink. Stick with beer. The mixed drinks are a muddafugga
14. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 4:19PM EST
Sunoverbeach wrote:
Checked with them when I was there. They let me smoke mine as long as I bought a drink. Stick with beer. The mixed drinks are a muddafugga

True, true. Their prices are high but they also have some really HTF alcohol and their mojitos are really, really good.
15. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 5:33PM EST
So is the cleavage.
16. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 5:48PM EST
Still waiting for my ashtray... Not talking
17. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 6:27PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
Still waiting for my ashtray... Not talking

Hahaha! I offered to steal, err, I mean, “borrow” one for you but you said not to. Not talking
18. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 9:59PM EST
he was kidding
19. Author: dkeageDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 10:47PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
So is the cleavage.

My buddy sent me a picture of a Mojito and an OpusX he was enjoying at CF earlier this week. He said the wait staff was all.....let’s say without cleavage....or female
20. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 11:06PM EST
Dayum…
21. Author: LeeBotDate: Sun, 2/5/2023, 10:11AM EST
Wifey and I went to The Cigar Code in Philly last night. It was the first time we have been there. It was nice. They had a full menu of restaurant food, which was pretty good. The atmosphere was chill. I'll go back.
22. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 2/5/2023, 10:29AM EST
frankj1 wrote:
he was kidding

True... true... Mellow
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic