Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
JC Newman “The American”
1. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 3:18PM EST
I don’t normally read about nor buy new blends so kinda curious if anyone has tried this cigar yet?

Edit: Oops, my bad, this ain’t a new release, been out since 2010 or so. Question still stands.
2. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 3:41PM EST
Meh. I hunted one down. Won’t hunt anymore. Wasn’t bad but I doubt you’re missing anything. That was back when I was hunting FSG tobacco.

To be fair it’s worth a single. Just not something I’m personally into
3. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 2/4/2023, 3:47PM EST
Jakethesnake86 wrote:
Meh. I hunted one down. Won’t hunt anymore. Wasn’t bad but I doubt you’re missing anything. That was back when I was hunting FSG tobacco.

To be fair it’s worth a single. Just not something I’m personally into

One and done. Thanks, that’s all I needed to know. ThumpUp
4. Author: Jakethesnake86Date: Sat, 2/4/2023, 4:38PM EST
I think it could be done better. I’d like to see it done better.
5. Author: tonygrazDate: Sun, 2/5/2023, 5:17PM EST
Haven't met a Newman I liked - maybe a Seinfeld thing.
6. Author: cashmoneydaveDate: Wed, 2/8/2023, 1:51PM EST
^ agreed, which is odd because I like Arturo Fuente cigars. Aren’t they made in Fuente’s factory?

Can’t bring myself to risk $20 to try the new blend of the diamond crown black just based on past experiences. The Julius Caesar is the only one I cared for and it was still just an OK smoke.
7. Author: JGKAMINDate: Wed, 2/8/2023, 3:41PM EST
cashmoneydave wrote:
^ agreed, which is odd because I like Arturo Fuente cigars. Aren’t they made in Fuente’s factory?

I thought it’s rolled in Ybor City, upstairs in El Reloj? Might be what drives the price.

“The American was the first cigar brand rolled in J.C. Newman’s historic El Reloj factory when it opened in 1910 in Ybor City, Florida. A century later, The American has been reintroduced as a 100% American cigar, once again hand rolled in El Reloj. This brand honors America’s cigar tradition by rolling world-class cigars in America using the finest American-grown, aged, heirloom tobaccos. From the tobacco to cigar molds to the wood cabinet boxes, everything is proudly grown and made in America.”
8. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 2/8/2023, 8:15PM EST
I used to really like the Diamond Crown Maximus, a "powerhouse" among the Newman lines... I selected the #4, toro, as the celebratory cigar for my daughter's wedding in 2015, and thoroughly enjoyed them...but the last few fivers I've bought, of different vitolas, since about 2017, have not been as good.

The Julius Caesar was too mild for me.

Haven't tried the American, and after this input, prolly won't. Too many $15 - $20 + cigars being produced and promoted as "the next best things" nowadays. I've regretted taking the plunge on several over the past few years, and have officially retired my cigar hunting license. I'll stick with the cigars that I know and like, until future crops disappoint, and then look for something to replace them based on info from trusted sources here and elsewhere.

9. Author: PalamaDate: Wed, 2/8/2023, 9:53PM EST
delta1 wrote:
I used to really like the Diamond Crown Maximus, a "powerhouse" among the Newman lines... I selected the #4, toro, as the celebratory cigar for my daughter's wedding in 2015, and thoroughly enjoyed them...but the last few fivers I've bought, of different vitolas, since about 2017, have not been as good.

The Julius Caesar was too mild for me.

Haven't tried the American, and after this input, prolly won't. Too many $15 - $20 + cigars being produced and promoted as "the next best things" nowadays. I've regretted taking the plunge on several over the past few years, and have officially retired my cigar hunting license. I'll stick with the cigars that I know and like, until future crops disappoint, and then look for something to replace them based on info from trusted sources here and elsewhere.

I kinda noticed the same thing with the DC Max line. Iirc, my first Max was around 2013 and thought, “Very good but strong.” Then the ones I got from around 2016 weren’t as good or strong.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic