Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev1617181920NextLast
Knowledge Recently Acquired
851. Author: Ram27Date: Sun, 5/28/2023, 9:24AM EST
The song "Puff the Magic Dragon " actually is NOT a song about Marijuana.
852. Author: deadeyedickDate: Sun, 5/28/2023, 11:32AM EST
Ram27 wrote:

He actually lived by the sea??
853. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 5/28/2023, 11:47AM EST
Screw Puff... Not talking
854. Author: PalamaDate: Sun, 5/28/2023, 11:49AM EST
Ram27 wrote:

Forget if it was from Monogram or Revell but as a kid, I built one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_AC-47_Spooky
855. Author: delta1Date: Sun, 5/28/2023, 5:17PM EST
sure...just like "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" had nuttin to do with LSD
856. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 6/10/2023, 12:52PM EST
the ruby-throated hummingbird is the only species of hummingbird that breeds in Massachusetts.

males have ruby colored throats while females and juveniles don't

they can flap their wings 53 times per second

in order to survive they must consume more than their own weight in nectar and insects every day!
857. Author: delta1Date: Sat, 6/10/2023, 12:59PM EST
that type of hummingbird is very common here...needing to feed explains why I see them at dusk, flitting from flower to flower...beautiful iridescent birds
858. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 6/10/2023, 7:07PM EST
frankj1 wrote:

males have ruby colored throats while females and juveniles don't

Lucky the females and juveniles have a long pointy thing on their head. They’d starve without throats.
859. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 6/10/2023, 7:44PM EST
I heard hummingbirds hitch rides on the backs of geese to head south for the winters... Mellow
860. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Mon, 6/12/2023, 9:02PM EST
When you apply your brakes in the car, about 70% of the stopping power comes from the front brakes. The 30% the back brakes is mainly to provide stability and to prevent a fishtail.
861. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Mon, 6/12/2023, 10:27PM EST
That's what the brake pad industry wants you to believe anyway
862. Author: deadeyedickDate: Tue, 6/13/2023, 10:20AM EST
If you check the box on a gun permit application that you do not use marijuana you can be charged with a felony for using and possessing a gun with a penalty of up to 15 years in prison.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/06/12/richneck-elementary-shooting-deja-taylor-guilty-plea/
863. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 6/13/2023, 10:22AM EST
They recently modified that law in Oklahoma... so you can carry and shoot stoned now... Mellow
864. Author: JGRAZDate: Tue, 6/13/2023, 11:50AM EST
If you go topless at the White House you will actually be celebrated for it.

Well for some people
865. Author: deadeyedickDate: Tue, 6/13/2023, 4:46PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
They recently modified that law in Oklahoma... so you can carry and shoot stoned now... Mellow

Only bow and arrows. Applause
866. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Thu, 6/15/2023, 8:23PM EST

Ometepe is an island formed by two volcanoes rising out of Lake Nicaragua, located in the Rivas Department of the Republic of Nicaragua. Its name derives from the Nahuatl words ome (two) and tepetl (mountain), meaning "two mountains".[1] It is the largest island in Lake Nicaragua.

The two volcanoes (known as Volcán Concepción and Volcán Maderas) are joined by a low isthmus to form one island in the shape of an hourglass, dumbbell or peanut. Ometepe has an area of 276 square kilometres (107 sq mi). It is 31 kilometres (19 mi) long and 5 to 10 kilometres (3.1 to 6.2 mi) wide.[2] The island has an economy based on livestock, agriculture, and tourism. Plantains are the major crop.
867. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 6/20/2023, 7:17PM EST
Cars are more expensive while being made less expensively.

As a thumb rule, brakes pads have 10 millimeters in thickness when new. Once your brakes get down to two or three millimeters, they should be replaced.

A year ago, Nissan became the first manufacturer to put out new vehicles with only 6 millimeters of pad. So your brakes are half shot when new.

The cost saving measure is expected to be universally adopted by most if not all manufacturers.

Bassards.
868. Author: JGRAZDate: Wed, 6/21/2023, 12:54PM EST
Spending $250,000 to go see a ship that sunk over 100 years ago is probably a waste of money
869. Author: PalamaDate: Wed, 6/21/2023, 1:21PM EST
JGRAZ wrote:
Spending $250,000 to go see a ship that sunk over 100 years ago is probably a waste of money

I know there’s still a (…very slim…) chance that they’re still alive and can be rescued but yah, “thrill-seeking” billionaire has / is getting the ultimate thrill. Too much money and time on his hands.
870. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 6/21/2023, 2:04PM EST
JGRAZ wrote:

And no money for a releasable beacons, pinger, rescue ship, etc. I read it most likely imploded.

I hate to say it, sooner or later something similar is going to happen to a private space vehicle.
871. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 6/21/2023, 3:21PM EST
Discussion of the submersible by a former sub driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dka29FSZac

From his POV, that sub was really sketchy.
872. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Mon, 7/17/2023, 7:10PM EST
People who buy high end sports cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini etc.) spend $300,000 buying a new car, but tend to sell the car before they have to invest in $14,000 to $20,000 in a brake job.

Mind boggling, but two different techs confirmed it is a thing.

Some wealthy people set up their own LLC, or some other scheme to sell for maybe $140,000 and take the loss as a write off.
873. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 7/18/2023, 1:24PM EST
Here's another tidbit about those supercars. 90% of the people who can afford to buy them have no freakin' idea how to drive them. That's why you see so many youtube posts about those same idiots wrecking them. d'oh!
874. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 7/18/2023, 3:27PM EST
MACS wrote:
Here's another tidbit about those supercars. 90% of the people who can afford to buy them have no freakin' idea how to drive them. That's why you see so many youtube posts about those same idiots wrecking them. d'oh!

You’d ALMOST think that with all their money, the super rich would hire someone to teach them how to drive the car properly. Or, at the very least, go to a track and figure out how to drive it.

Being rich doesn’t make you smarter. Not talking
875. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 7/18/2023, 4:13PM EST
Palama wrote:
You’d ALMOST

Yeah but they’re still rich!
876. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 7/19/2023, 5:48PM EST
Men used to lie about their age to fight in wars to protect their country and their freedom.

Now men lie about their gender, steal women's trophies and make their country a laughing stock.
877. Author: Speyside2Date: Wed, 7/19/2023, 6:58PM EST
Understanding that you are ignorant about something brings you one step closer to enlightenment. Yet I am soooo far from enlightenment still. As I am ignorant on almost everything this seems rather paradoxical.
878. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 7/25/2023, 6:46AM EST
Palama wrote:
You’d ALMOST think that with all their money, the super rich would hire someone to teach them how to drive the car properly. Or, at the very least, go to a track and figure out how to drive it.

Generally I have found (in an admittedly small sample size) the richer the person, the bigger the ego. You can’t tell them much of anything.
879. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 7/25/2023, 7:19AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Yeah but they’re still rich!

They?
880. Author: HomebrewDate: Tue, 7/25/2023, 8:29AM EST
Gene363 wrote:
And no money for a releasable beacons, pinger, rescue ship, etc. I read it most likely imploded.

I hate to say it, sooner or later something similar is going to happen to a private space vehicle.

You know,
Deep down, those Billionaires were really good people.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)Beer
881. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 7/25/2023, 11:55AM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
They?

Pronoun neutral.
882. Author: Ram27Date: Tue, 7/25/2023, 12:09PM EST
They not here...
883. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 7/25/2023, 12:24PM EST
Ram27 wrote:
They not here...

Sure they are. They just go buy another super car.
884. Author: Gene363Date: Tue, 7/25/2023, 1:12PM EST
Homebrew wrote:
You know,
Deep down, those Billionaires were really good people.
Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)Beer

They could good or bad persons, but that isn't material, they failed to use common sense and ask some questions, they assumed high cost, for a ride, equaled high quality/safety. There were others that looked into the trip nd back out.
885. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Thu, 7/27/2023, 7:55PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Pronoun neutral.

Name: HockeyDad
Location Wherever the forces of globalist domination are needed
886. Author: Gene363Date: Thu, 7/27/2023, 8:11PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
They?

HockeyDad wrote:
Pronoun neutral.

I prefer, fuckers, it's gender neutral. Whistle
887. Author: tonygrazDate: Fri, 7/28/2023, 10:25AM EST
Where's Frank ?
888. Author: Ram27Date: Fri, 7/28/2023, 11:05AM EST
^Cape Cod Angel
889. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 7/28/2023, 2:07PM EST
tonygraz wrote:
Where's Frank ?

prolly looking for CROS... Mellow
890. Author: tonygrazDate: Fri, 7/28/2023, 5:48PM EST
I could use some Cape Cod fish&chips about now.
891. Author: Gene363Date: Sun, 8/6/2023, 4:55PM EST
Doing nothing is hard, you never know when you're done.
892. Author: Ram27Date: Mon, 8/7/2023, 4:05PM EST
Hey Eight Track:
No, this isn’t part of the marketing for “Barbie.”

A rare pink bird called the roseate spoonbill was spotted by a birdwatcher in Green Bay, Wisconsin — the first confirmed sighting of the bird in the state in 178 years, Fox 11 News reported.

“Not many pink birds. It’s either a flamingo or a spoonbill,” Logan Lasee, naturalist and birdwatcher, told the local outlet. “While I was looking out on a mud flat, this bird was actually hanging out with a flock of geese. So I started calling people.”

The roseate spoonbill “looks like it came straight out of a Dr. Seuss book,” with pink feathers, red eyes, a partly bald head and a giant spoon-shaped bill, All About Birds describes.

“This is a really large shorebird, that’s typically seen in the very southern part of the United States, There’s breeding colonies in Texas, Louisiana and Florida. So for one to come up here, it’s very rare. There’s actually only two records now of this bird being in the state and the last one before this was 1845,” Lasee said The roseate spoonbill was once very popular in the southeast until the 1860s when they were “virtually eliminated,” according to the National Audobon Society. Now they are uncommon and considered vulnerable due to loss of habitat.

The birdwatcher said that the spoonbill is likely a child, and it’s probable the rare bird ended up in the Midwest due to recent weather events.

893. Author: PalamaDate: Wed, 8/9/2023, 5:46PM EST
Watching a show on NHK World about Ninja Shuriken (…commonly known as “Ninja Stars”…). Always knew there were different designs but interesting to learn about the throwing styles / angles and the differences in speed and striking force.

Reminded me of the Shuriken Cigar Cutter I have somewhere…but haven’t used in ages.
894. Author: deadeyedickDate: Wed, 8/9/2023, 10:11PM EST
In 1970, one billion liters of bottled water were being sold globally. By 2017 that had rocketed to 391B.

The bottled water industry is over $300B each year. Both Coca-Cola and PepsiCo sold more water then their soft drinks lines buy 2016.
895. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Thu, 8/10/2023, 9:56PM EST
In 2018 or so, the federal government gave tax breaks to the automobile industry for auto shut off and on technology. It is because of that, almost gas powered and hybrid vehicles from that point have the technology where after X # of seconds, the engine shuts down. The engine starts again when the foot is taken off of the brake.

Is it good for the environment? Yes and No.

If you find yourself stopped in traffic regularly, and for 30 or more seconds at a time- yes. If less than 30 seconds, actually more pollution gets into the environment with the frequent restarts.

The other thing not considered is the extra tax on the flywheel, starter and battery. All need to be heavier in duty and more expensive to replace.

More Progress.

GOML!
896. Author: Gene363Date: Fri, 8/11/2023, 9:02AM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
In 2018 or so, the federal government gave tax breaks to the automobile industry for auto shut off and on technology. It is because of that, almost gas powered and hybrid vehicles from that point have the technology where after X # of seconds, the engine shuts down. The engine starts again when the foot is taken off of the brake.

Is it good for the environment? Yes and No.

If you find yourself stopped in traffic regularly, and for 30 or more seconds at a time- yes. If less than 30 seconds, actually more pollution gets into the environment with the frequent restarts.

The other thing not considered is the extra tax on the flywheel, starter and battery. All need to be heavier in duty and more expensive to replace.

More Progress.

GOML!

Cumulative pollution really adds up... Seriously though, I recall the requirement for installing gasoline vapor recovery equipment in Southern Kalifornia. Without that equipment several tons of gasoline went into the atmosphere every day, so while the early implementation was a PITA, it was good thing.

Beside the extra wear and tear there is a safety issue with the auto-shutdown. My diesel Silverado has that auto-shutdown "feature" I turn it off as part of the startup procedure. The diesel is easy starting, however it will hesitate and if your turning on a busy street that hesitation can ge you into a traffic accident.

Safety issues with auto-shutdown will probably get much worse as the engine wears and doesn't start as easily as when it was new.
897. Author: Stogie1020Date: Fri, 8/11/2023, 10:12AM EST
Knowledge I recently acquired...

A 3 1/2 year old is a poor judge of "how much toilet paper should be flushed at once"...
898. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 8/12/2023, 7:18AM EST
Gene363 wrote:
Cumulative pollution really adds up... Seriously though, I recall the requirement for installing gasoline vapor recovery equipment in Southern Kalifornia. Without that equipment several tons of gasoline went into the atmosphere every day, so while the early implementation was a PITA, it was good thing.

Beside the extra wear and tear there is a safety issue with the auto-shutdown. My diesel Silverado has that auto-shutdown "feature" I turn it off as part of the startup procedure. The diesel is easy starting, however it will hesitate and if your turning on a busy street that hesitation can ge you into a traffic accident.

Safety issues with auto-shutdown will probably get much worse as the engine wears and doesn't start as easily as when it was new.

I shut mine off whenever I remember to. Hate it. Gets too hot with the a/c off while waiting in traffic.
899. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 8/12/2023, 9:26AM EST
Yup... hated that feature on the Mercedes we had. Always turned it off. Not a fan in the least.
900. Author: deadeyedickDate: Sat, 8/12/2023, 10:21AM EST
Rented a Jeep Cherokee on one of our trips. The damn thing would shut down within 5 seconds every time we stopped at a light. Hated it!
FirstPrev1617181920NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic