Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev567NextLast
THE RECIPE THREAD: Grillin, Crockpot, Tried Something New? Share It!
301. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sun, 4/16/2023, 2:43PM EST
MACS wrote:
The charter boats out of San Diego get premade patties from Costco or Sam's and they make some dee-friggin-licious burgers. The secret is season all.

I dunno if they're so good because I am fishing, which could be the case, or the season all. Tried it at home and they're not the same. d'oh!

Yeah, like cigars... the time, place and environment can make a big difference to the taste buds.

Use to go camping at friend's hunting and fishing shack in Maine. It was completely isolated from the real world. He made the best baked beans from scratch... Using the exact same recipe to a T and the same method of cooking (in a ceramic bean pot, low and slow in the oven) they didn't taste the same at home as they did at the shack.
302. Author: MACSDate: Mon, 4/17/2023, 5:28AM EST
I did manage to smuggle back some clam cake mix from Rhode Island when I visited... I might have to fry some up.
303. Author: Stogie1020Date: Mon, 4/17/2023, 11:54AM EST
Never heard of Season All, thanks for the tip MACS.

Also, having worked my way through college in restaurants, most people don't realize how much salt and butter/fat are used in commercial kitchens. If you want your food to taste like it did at the restaurant, use way more salt and butter. That's not the only key, but it makes a huge difference.
304. Author: MACSDate: Mon, 4/17/2023, 12:05PM EST
Just another name for Lawry's seasoned salt. Pretty sure it's the exact same thing. Morton calls it season all.
305. Author: BuckyB93Date: Mon, 4/17/2023, 12:35PM EST
Fat is what makes meat juicy. Any meat that is too lean can end up being too dry after cooking. For burger I go for 80/20 as my preference. Steaks need a nice marble to them, Roasts and such, a nice fat cap.

Wild game (other than water fowl) is pretty lean. Making venison burger or sausages, you still need to add some fat such as pork when you grind it up. For venison steaks I fry them on the stove top with butter.

Fat has had a bad rap from some nutritionists. It depends on the type of fat and, like anything, keep it in moderation.
FirstPrev567NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic