Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Favorite Drive-ins
1. Author: DrafterXDate: Mon, 10/23/2017, 9:57AM EST
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/10/23/14-classic-american-drive-in-restaurants-that-are-still-in-operation.html

My favorite high school hangout in Lawton made the list.. Laugh
2. Author: dstiegerDate: Mon, 10/23/2017, 10:21AM EST
DrafterX wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/10/23/14-classic-american-drive-in-restaurants-that-are-still-in-operation.html

My favorite hangout in Lawton made the list.. Laugh

Never understood 'em....I absolutely hate eating in my car....maybe because I'm a slob...I need a table to catch my mess
3. Author: MACSDate: Mon, 10/23/2017, 11:18AM EST
^Agree. I do not eat in my car... unless you count french fries I grab out of the bag on the ride home.
4. Author: streetrodDate: Mon, 10/23/2017, 11:23AM EST
My favorite one was in East Ruterford, NJ now the site for Met Life Stadium. Home of the Giants/Jets.
We had either 5 or 6 within a 10 /15 mile area.
All are long gone.

Now I still go to the one in Warwick, NY.
5. Author: dstiegerDate: Mon, 10/23/2017, 11:32AM EST
MACS wrote:
^Agree. I do not eat in my car... unless you count french fries I grab out of the bag on the ride home.

You've had nice rides, though...I suspect that might be part of your reason. Mine is a dirty tank that I smoke in and only clean out trash and dump ashtray a couple times a week...I probably wouldn't notice a ketchup stain. I just don't like eating in cars. Drives my wife crazy when on a trip and not wasting time...she wants to grab and go. I like to make good time, but will stop to eat, even if for fast food...or just not stop.
6. Author: DrafterXDate: Mon, 10/23/2017, 11:34AM EST
We did more hanging out than eating.. but went thru a couple hundred chili-dogs and tater-tots along the way.
Mellow
7. Author: MACSDate: Mon, 10/23/2017, 11:34AM EST
Yes, the clean car is part of it, but like you said, I just don't like eating in the car.
8. Author: Gene363Date: Mon, 10/23/2017, 11:39AM EST
A&W Root beer drive ins. Nothing like their root beer freezes. They also served a fried burrito with filling a little hotter than lava.
9. Author: DrafterXDate: Mon, 10/23/2017, 11:41AM EST
In Lawton Wayne's was just about centered between a the two main high-schools.. that was sometimes good and bad.. Laugh
10. Author: Ewok126Date: Mon, 10/23/2017, 11:44AM EST
Many many years ago I was a curb hop at the restaurant my mother once owned in Lenore NC called Red Pig BBQ which had both dine in and was also a drive in. The best tip I had ever gotten as a working teenager was there. A car load of college girls driving a convertible came in one weekend and ordered some burgers. I had taken them their food they gave me a 10 dollar tip which was great after saying thank you and heading back in I heard one yell out "Hey here is the rest of your tip" I turned and all of them stood up in the car and lifted up their shirts and flashed me them nice nice titties. I was 16 at the time and the funny thing was my mother always ran the register which was right in the main front window of the building. Mom had seen the whole thing. As I walked in to give mom the money mom said "I don't know what I am going to do with you." I was all like what. She said I am trying to run a restaurant here not a strip club. I will never forget that day.

Now that I think about it. Mom also fired me for a couple of weeks. She caught me in the walk in with one of her waitresses lmaooo. Some of the best times of my life was while working there for the summer. Yeah I love Drive-Ins Drool
11. Author: RMAN4443Date: Mon, 10/23/2017, 12:11PM EST
Ewok126 wrote:
Many many years ago I was a curb hop at the restaurant my mother once owned in Lenore NC called Red Pig BBQ which had both dine in and was also a drive in. The best tip I had ever gotten as a working teenager was there. A car load of college girls driving a convertible came in one weekend and ordered some burgers. I had taken them their food they gave me a 10 dollar tip which was great after saying thank you and heading back in I heard one yell out "Hey here is the rest of your tip" I turned and all of them stood up in the car and lifted up their shirts and flashed me them nice nice titties. I was 16 at the time and the funny thing was my mother always ran the register which was right in the main front window of the building. Mom had seen the whole thing. As I walked in to give mom the money mom said "I don't know what I am going to do with you." I was all like what. She said I am trying to run a restaurant here not a strip club. I will never forget that day.

Now that I think about it. Mom also fired me for a couple of weeks. She caught me in the walk in with one of her waitresses lmaooo. Some of the best times of my life was while working there for the summer. Yeah I love Drive-Ins Drool

Kinda makes you wonder about what was in that "special sauce"???????????????????Anxious
12. Author: Ewok126Date: Mon, 10/23/2017, 1:06PM EST
RMAN4443 wrote:
Kinda makes you wonder about what was in that "special sauce"???????????????????Anxious

Lmao I didn't get the chance to get quite that far. Mom's bad timing seen to that. Crying I did feel bad for the waitress though. Poor girl didn't get fired she quit from embarrassment. I guess when the boss lady catches you with her son and with her cute little skirt and draws around her ankles plus one tit out, well I am thinking she might have needed a year or two on the couch. As for me well it was the best two weeks of vacation I ever had. Boy the memories lmaooo. Herfing Mom was pretty pissed, Dad well he was giving me high fives when mom was not looking lmaooooo.
13. Author: itsawaldoDate: Mon, 10/23/2017, 1:31PM EST
12 cities, only 2 of the drive ins Dallas and Atlanta
14. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Tue, 10/24/2017, 7:41PM EST
If you ever find yourself in the Hill Country of Texas.........keep your eyes open for Storm's Drive In's.Order the Storm's special with triple cheese.......if you don't like it you have the palette of a billy goat,best burger and fries I've ever had.
15. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 10/25/2017, 6:41AM EST
I used to find myself in Marble Falls quite a bit... no reason to go there now but you never know.... Think
16. Author: burnem2Date: Wed, 10/25/2017, 8:32AM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
If you ever find yourself in the Hill Country of Texas.........keep your eyes open for Storm's Drive In's.Order the Storm's special with triple cheese.......if you don't like it you have the palette of a billy goat,best burger and fries I've ever had.

I'll have to go there next time I go up to Ink's Lake.
17. Author: NapalmMan67Date: Wed, 10/25/2017, 9:05AM EST
Dog n Suds. I think there's only 12 or so left around the country now. Used to love that place, especially their Root Beer.

18. Author: Mr. JonesDate: Wed, 10/25/2017, 10:46AM EST
There used to be one off route 30 near Columbia,PA...
We went there all the time during the 1970's...

Its where we first saw...

"ATTACK OF THE BEE WOMEN"

"Coming and going at the same time" was the best movie line in it...
19. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 10/25/2017, 12:16PM EST
streetrod wrote:
My favorite one was in East Ruterford, NJ now the site for Met Life Stadium. Home of the Giants/Jets.
We had either 5 or 6 within a 10 /15 mile area.
All are long gone.

Now I still go to the one in Warwick, NY.

East Rutherford?
You used to eat in the swamp?

20. Author: jjaneckaDate: Wed, 10/25/2017, 2:02PM EST
I eat in my car usually 2-3 times a week. Wendy's, Whataburger, or Jack-in-the-Box.
21. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Wed, 10/25/2017, 8:00PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
I used to find myself in Marble Falls quite a bit... no reason to go there now but you never know.... Think

burnem2 wrote:
I'll have to go there next time I go up to Ink's Lake.

Locations in Lampasa,Burnet and Hamilton...........not far from either
22. Author: Ewok126Date: Wed, 10/25/2017, 9:20PM EST
jjanecka wrote:
I eat in my car usually 2-3 times a week. Wendy's, Whataburger, or Jack-in-the-Box.

Dang man, When is the triple bypass and the carotid endarterectomy scheduled. I will send you a bucket of lard to the hospital the day of so you will have something to drink Blink
23. Author: streetrodDate: Fri, 10/27/2017, 7:41AM EST
tailgater wrote:
East Rutherford?
You used to eat in the swamp?

Yup. Evidently we are talking about 2 types of drive-ins. One that is a restaurant & one where you watched a movie in your car with your girlfriend. I ‘ate’ 😋 at both of them.

Check out ‘the chatterbox’ in augusta nj for my current hang out. Usually there every saturday night in the summer with the hot rod.
24. Author: teedubbyaDate: Fri, 10/27/2017, 7:45AM EST
George the Chili King is a good one. Everything but the chili is excellent. Try the fat man special.
25. Author: DrafterXDate: Fri, 10/27/2017, 10:47AM EST
eating chili out is normally a pretty bad idea.. Mellow
26. Author: RMAN4443Date: Fri, 10/27/2017, 4:47PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
eating chili out is normally a pretty bad idea.. Mellow

Had chili out yesterday.........BAD IDEAd'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! Anxious

Wife made me wait in truck today......she said I was ........embarrassing Blushing Crying
27. Author: SteveSDate: Sat, 10/28/2017, 11:17AM EST
DrafterX wrote:

There are two I've been to that didn't make this list ... and they're both so good, I'm surprised they didn't ...

Gotts Roadside - St. Helena, CA (originally known as Taylors Refresher) ...

Burger Bar - Roy, UT

I'd really like to visit any place that could beat either of these ... (oh, and unless it's bad weather, eating in your car isn't necessary at either one)
28. Author: RubyDate: Sat, 10/28/2017, 11:45PM EST
Hoppers in Baton Rouge but long gone.
29. Author: JGKAMINDate: Sun, 10/29/2017, 1:58PM EST
Swinson’s in Ohio should certainly be mentioned. Their Gally Boy burger has been voted America’s best and is phenomenal.

http://swensonsdriveins.com
30. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Sun, 10/29/2017, 7:50PM EST
What no love for Sonic?Flapper
31. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 10/29/2017, 7:56PM EST
I do Sonic once a month or so.. normally if there's somethin on the radio I want to hear... Mellow
32. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Sun, 10/29/2017, 8:25PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
I do Sonic once a month or so.. normally if there's somethin on the radio I want to hear... Mellow

They have gone down hill the last few years..........back in the day they weren't bad.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic