Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev12NextLast
Trump and the USPS
1. Author: Gene363Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 12:06PM EST
Blame Trump for USPS problems?

The Federal General Accounting Office, (GAO) has been reporting problems with the USPS almost ten years. The link below lists the reports the GAO has issued since 2009.

For those who are interested in the post office's chronically bad performance and "unsustainable" situation, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) has produced a long list of studies on where the problems come from and how they might be addressed. The short version is that Congress has blocked all sorts of serious reforms to an operation that has seen a 33 percent decline in mail volume since 2006.

https://www.gao.gov/key_issues/us_postal_service_financial_viability/issue_summary#t=1
2. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 12:27PM EST
When - I ask you WHEN - will people stop being SO mean to Trump?
3. Author: victor809Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 12:49PM EST
Gene363 wrote:
Blame Trump for USPS problems?

The Federal General Accounting Office, (GAO) has been reporting problems with the USPS almost ten years. The link below lists the reports the GAO has issued since 2009.

For those who are interested in the post office's chronically bad performance and "unsustainable" situation, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) has produced a long list of studies on where the problems come from and how they might be addressed. The short version is that Congress has blocked all sorts of serious reforms to an operation that has seen a 33 percent decline in mail volume since 2006.

https://www.gao.gov/key_issues/us_postal_service_financial_viability/issue_summary#t=1

Looks like the dems tried to rectify that in 2013....
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr2690

But it didn't get a vote .... in the Republican controlled Congress.
4. Author: HockeyDadDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 12:55PM EST
Brewha wrote:
When - I ask you WHEN - will people stop being SO mean to Trump?

In approximately 4 more years.
5. Author: Stogie1020Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 1:02PM EST
victor809 wrote:
Looks like the dems tried to rectify that in 2013....
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr2690

But it didn't get a vote .... in the Republican controlled Congress.

And rightly so. That was the bill where Dems wanted the USPS to be a small bank and offer "non-postal" financial services such as credit, loans, savings account, check cashing, etc.

Sounds like a good idea. /sarcasm

It was also a counter-bill to the one the Repubs proposed, so it's not R's were sitting around doing nothing.
6. Author: victor809Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 1:20PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:
And rightly so. That was the bill where Dems wanted the USPS to be a small bank and offer "non-postal" financial services such as credit, loans, savings account, check cashing, etc.

Sounds like a good idea. /sarcasm

It was also a counter-bill to the one the Repubs proposed, so it's not R's were sitting around doing nothing.

I don't know if there was a counter bill. I'm not even sure if the bill I'm referencing is what you're talking about. I was searching for US Postal Service bills in govtrak. The one that sounds like the "financial services" bill you're referencing was in 2018, not 2013.

I see the following:
H.R. 2967 (112th): Innovate to Deliver Act of 2011
Sponsor: Rep. Elijah Cummings [D-MD7]

H.R. 2690 (113th): Innovate to Deliver Act of 2013
Sponsor: Rep. Elijah Cummings [D-MD7]

(looks like Cummings tried it twice, got shot down by a Republican House both times)

There was a Postal Reform act introduced AFTER Cummings, by Republican Issa:
H.R. 2748 (113th): Postal Reform Act of 2013
Sponsor: Rep. Darrell Issa [R-CA49]
but it ALSO died in a Republican House.

Then after that, the budget pops up:
H.Con.Res. 125 (114th): Establishing the congressional budget for the United States Government for fiscal year 2017 and setting forth the appropriate budgetary levels for fiscal years 2018 through 2026.
Sponsor: Rep. Tom Price [R-GA6]

And after that, the "STOP Act" comes up a few times, but is not $$ related.

Then you get:
S. 2755 (115th): Postal Banking Act
Sponsor: Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D-NY]
Which I think is the one you're referencing.

And following that, another Dem sponsored one:
H.R. 2382: USPS Fairness Act
Sponsor: Rep. Peter DeFazio [D-OR4]

I don't see the Republican bill you're referencing anywhere, unless you're talking about the Issa (2013)

7. Author: ZRX1200Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 1:34PM EST
Love the lefties ignoring the 50/50 split board that signs off on all these decisions......ignoring the mismanagement of USPS and the problem of its retirement system. Gotta love government benefited people deciding contracts with union members.
8. Author: Stogie1020Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 2:01PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
Love the lefties ignoring the 50/50 split board that signs off on all these decisions......ignoring the mismanagement of USPS and the problem of its retirement system. Gotta love government benefited people deciding contracts with union members.

"Don't mind the facts" should have been the slogan for the DNC...

Victor, I was referring to the Issa plan. The Dems rubbed out "innovate" in a masturbatory rush to get something out in front of Issa because they wanted to show action and generate public awareness of their desired bill inclusions (labor issues, Saturday delivery, etc.). As usual, it was reckless and overly broad. Sounds familiar.

It failed because both sides could not reach a consensus before the end of the legislative term, so the action expired.
9. Author: victor809Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 2:20PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:
"Don't mind the facts" should have been the slogan for the DNC...

Victor, I was referring to the Issa plan. The Dems rubbed out "innovate" in a masturbatory rush to get something out in front of Issa because they wanted to show action and generate public awareness of their desired bill inclusions (labor issues, Saturday delivery, etc.). As usual, it was reckless and overly broad. Sounds familiar.

It failed because both sides could not reach a consensus before the end of the legislative term, so the action expired.

That would imply that the plan before that, the Cummings 2013 plan, was the one you say offered "lending" services.
I looked it up. It would have allowed the Post office to provide check cashing services, but no "credit, loans, savings account"

I'm not sure check cashing is a terrible thing for the post office to offer. That used to be something people could get done at grocery stores when buying their groceries. I would have agreed with you if the bill had provided for any lending or credit type services, but check cashing? In an environment where it's more and more difficult for people who don't have bank accounts, that seems like a good service.
10. Author: Stogie1020Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 2:38PM EST
victor809 wrote:
That would imply that the plan before that, the Cummings 2013 plan, was the one you say offered "lending" services.
I looked it up. It would have allowed the Post office to provide check cashing services, but no "credit, loans, savings account"

I'm not sure check cashing is a terrible thing for the post office to offer. That used to be something people could get done at grocery stores when buying their groceries. I would have agreed with you if the bill had provided for any lending or credit type services, but check cashing? In an environment where it's more and more difficult for people who don't have bank accounts, that seems like a good service.

Check cashing was but one of the supposed additional services. ATMs, Internet service, etc. were all others. I am sure the federal government would be great at those things.

Having said that, Your argument appears to have migrated from "Republicans are the reasons the USPS is failing" to "Maybe the USPS should cash your checks"...

11. Author: victor809Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 3:00PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:
Check cashing was but one of the supposed additional services. ATMs, Internet service, etc. were all others. I am sure the federal government would be great at those things.

Having said that, Your argument appears to have migrated from "Republicans are the reasons the USPS is failing" to "Maybe the USPS should cash your checks"...

My argument hasn't changed. I simply stated that the dems tried to introduce bills to fix the post office issues, and the republican House refused to vote on them.

You claimed that Dems were trying to allow the post office to provide loans, credit, savings accounts and now "ATMs", internet service and check cashing.

I looked up the bill. Check cashing was the only item of your list which was actually proposed.

This means that your argument that:
Quote:

is pretty inaccurate, as they were only suggesting one of those items. If you want to claim differently, identify the line in the bill which would allow other financial services.

And your argument that
Quote:

appears to be wrong, as (to the best of my knowledge) the dem bill was proposed first... twice.... before the Issa bill you are referencing was initiated.
12. Author: Stogie1020Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 3:31PM EST
Selective history is just that, Victor. BOTH parties have introduced bills to try to reform the USPS and BOTH parties have prevented such bills form moving forward. It's disingenuous to suggest one party has been the hold up when you know both parties are equally responsible.

Additionally, a review of the literature surrounding the legislation clearly indicates motivation toward services other than simply "check cashing"

NAPC response to 2013 Cumming initiative (see Title 1, paragraph 2 on page 2): https://naps.org/files/galleries/NAPS_Review_of_Cummings_Postal_Reform_Legislation-0002.pdf

Congressional Research Document regarding the 2013 Cumming legislation (see page 32-37): https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44603.pdf

Statement from Cummings himself: https://oversight.house.gov/news/press-releases/cummings-praises-ig-proposal-for-post-offices-to-expand-financial-services

13. Author: ZRX1200Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 3:43PM EST
Gotta cut Vickey some slack, he wants to pretend the D bills were awesome not because he BELIEVES that. No. Victor just wants to insult people here. It’s his life. It’s the only thing that brings him happiness here.

Whatcha smoking? Almost zip

Trades? LMAO

Herfs? A few.

Live he’s not a terrible person, just his personna here.
14. Author: victor809Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 4:03PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:
Selective history is just that, Victor. BOTH parties have introduced bills to try to reform the USPS and BOTH parties have prevented such bills form moving forward. It's disingenuous to suggest one party has been the hold up when you know both parties are equally responsible.

Yes, and no. Since what... 2010? only one party has had both the House and the Senate, and the presidency.... in theory they would have been able to pass the reform. Obama could have done something in 2009 or 2010, perhaps. Don't know if it was an issue then, honestly.

I don't disagree that if you have a split house/senate then it won't get done. That's a given.

Quote:

Additionally, a review of the literature surrounding the legislation clearly indicates motivation toward services other than simply "check cashing"

NAPC response to 2013 Cumming initiative (see Title 1, paragraph 2 on page 2): https://naps.org/files/galleries/NAPS_Review_of_Cummings_Postal_Reform_Legislation-0002.pdf

Congressional Research Document regarding the 2013 Cumming legislation (see page 32-37): https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44603.pdf

Statement from Cummings himself: https://oversight.house.gov/news/press-releases/cummings-praises-ig-proposal-for-post-offices-to-expand-financial-services

So the weird takeaway from this is that some groups wanted or suggested that they offer other services.
But again.... the bill itself did not appear to include that. Here's the specific edit to the "Non Postal Services" which the bill suggested:
Quote:
(4) For purposes of this title, the term nonpostal services means services and products other than postal services as defined in section 102(5), including—
(A) check-cashing services;
(B) new technology and media services;
(C) warehousing and logistics;
(D) facility leasing; and
(E) public internet access services.

More importantly, notice the statement from Cummings himself.... thats dated 2015, well after the 2013 bill.

And most amusing of this.... The Congressional Research Document was actually pretty interesting. I didn't know that the Post office used to provide banking services (from 1911 to like 1967 or something).

but regardless... it wasn't in the bill.

So saying that the bill was struck down because of x,y and z... when only one of those was in the bill, is false.
15. Author: HockeyDadDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 4:52PM EST
I’m not looking up any failed bills from the past regarding the reform of the USPS. I’m just not. I have a life.
16. Author: DrafterXDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 4:57PM EST
If the Post is really a 'Service ' instead of a 'business' why do we have to buy stamps and stuff..?? Think
17. Author: Gene363Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 5:17PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
If the Post is really a 'Service ' instead of a 'business' why do we have to buy stamps and stuff..?? Think

Good question, it would save a lot of printing, shipping and the sale of stamps, I would not write any more letters if they were free. It would have to apply only to first class mail however.
18. Author: BuckyB93Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 6:02PM EST
I don't need to use stamps. I have Platinum membership with the USPS.

Another trick is to put the recipient addy as the return addy and no stamp. It gets sent back to the return addy (which is the recipient addy) because of insufficient postage. It's cool, try it sometime.

My USPS shpo protects me.
19. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 6:27PM EST
everybody craps on the USPS, but it is an essential government service specified in the Constitution, which gives Congress the power to set the parameters of the operation and build the roads needed...

guess who UPS, FedEx, and other for-profit courier services hand stuff over to, for the last leg if a delivery is too costly to complete for their "profit" models? who will step up and take mail/packages the last mile out to the boonies if anti-USPSers have their way and defund the USPS?

lotsa cons like to live in the deep rural areas, away from the unwashed masses of poor people...the USPS is their lifeline...

even CBid BOTL "endorse" the USPS since we, as a group, have chosen the USPS Tracking # as our confirmation standard bomb delivery service...
20. Author: Gene363Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 6:45PM EST
delta1 wrote:
everybody craps on the USPS, but it is an essential government service specified in the Constitution, which gives Congress the power to set the parameters of the operation and build the roads needed...

guess who UPS, FedEx, and other for-profit courier services hand stuff over to, for the last leg if a delivery is too costly to complete for their "profit" models? who will step up and take mail/packages the last mile out to the boonies if anti-USPSers have their way and defund the USPS?

lotsa cons like to live in the deep rural areas, away from the unwashed masses of poor people...the USPS is their lifeline...

even CBid BOTL "endorse" the USPS since we, as a group, have chosen the USPS Tracking # as our confirmation standard bomb delivery service...

This so called "economy" service is terrible, much slower than the USPS or Fedex or UPS alone. It's like both orgnizations figure theater one will get blamed and take their time processing these packages.

From my POV, most of the problems in the USPS are funding the retirement and health care costs and an excess of managers vs people that actully do the work. The latter especially in the regional processing centers where most delays are caused.
21. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 6:52PM EST
first, I have not looked at any links posted above if there even are any.

but I can add some stuff that I believe to be true. Partially heard something on Viewer Supported Radio (it's a joke, idiots) that triggered memories.

The US Mail is Constitutionally promised for the USA.
It is not expected to be a profit making business, any more than our Military/Defense Department or any other department that serves all of us. It is one of the special services that our founders decided needed to exist in a great country.

Because it's goal is not to make a profit but to deliver the mail, it is something to be funded by Congress, same as Military/Defense and other departments.

However, a decade and a half ago, President Cheney started a right side of the aisle push to Privatize the non-business postal service that our Constitution says should be provided for by money allocated in the budget per Congress, same as our Military/Defense Departments and others.

It just so happens that until 2006, give or take a year, The USPS actually did turn a profit. Amazing, I know, as it has been the butt of jokes for decades...which likely has shaped opinions even more than facts.

Obviously, that didn't work for President Cheney's desire to Privatize the USPS. Prolly had a friend or two in mind...kind of like early versions of DeJoy.

So it was decided to encumber the profit-making USPS with the previously and never since duplicated burden of guaranteeing pension funding for 75 YEARS INTO THE FUTURE!
Did you hear that right? 75 YEARS!

Can anyone name the only other department that has been strapped with that insane budget-killing failure inducing producer?
Hint: there isn't another department with such unmanageable constraints.

The rest, as they say, is history.

as long as we are on the subject, how many $500 hammers has the Post Office ordered? Now, how about the DOD?

22. Author: Dg west deptfordDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 6:56PM EST
All I know is it took 24 days for USPS to get me my latest CFed order. They ship first priority "2-3 days"
23. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 7:03PM EST
kinda coincides with DeJoy's takeover and nutsqueezing the operation...dude is amazingly like Trump...lies with a straight face...
24. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 7:05PM EST
Gene363 wrote:
This so called "economy" service is terrible, much slower than the USPS or Fedex or UPS alone. It's like both orgnizations figure theater one will get blamed and take their time processing these packages.

From my POV, most of the problems in the USPS are funding the retirement and health care costs and an excess of managers vs people that actully do the work. The latter especially in the regional processing centers where most delays are caused.

exactly.

but your gripe is with President Cheney. prior to what I wrote that he did in my previous post, the USPS MADE money!
Not even the goal, but it did.

Can you or anyone you know run a profitable business with a Congress forcing you to budget for...
75 YEARS OF FULLY FUNDED PENSIONS???

Can we be honest for a minute here? It was obviously an attempt to crush this Constitutionally promised system so buddies could make tons of moolah privately. I'd listen to any proposed explanation that differs, but you'd have to show me another government department that that had to deal with this and made it work...

And now it has been reborn.
25. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 7:07PM EST
just in time to slow votes in an election too.

grow up people.
26. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 7:09PM EST
let's be honest...all the anti-USPS propaganda and monkey wrenching is due to Trump's awareness that mail-in voting will be pushed as a safe alternative to in-person voting...he knows that if he can suppress the vote, his chances of winning are greater...

he knew this when the primaries of April happened and people started pushing for mail-in voting after seeing the long lines at the polling places, especially in Dem counties...

then, he appointed DeJoy in May, to start the demolition of the USPS, and a month later, started his anti-mail-in voting rant...fraudulent con-man at work
27. Author: HockeyDadDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 7:21PM EST
frankj1 wrote:

Can you or anyone you know run a profitable business with a Congress forcing you to budget for...
75 YEARS OF FULLY FUNDED PENSIONS???

All companies have to fund pension obligations.
28. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 7:23PM EST
not 75 years of full funding

many private enterprises do not fund pensions, and some do not kick in money for their employees' retirements

and those that do, even public agencies, do not have to have 75 years of full funding in their budgets for their pensions...most have to have reserves for 75% for about 20 years...
29. Author: HockeyDadDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 7:24PM EST
delta1 wrote:
not 75 years of full funding

The USPS doesn’t have to do that either.
30. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 7:36PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
The USPS doesn’t have to do that either.

yes, they do.
and they aren't a company either.
and we have no rights to expect a profit though they did do that prior to the 75 year thingie.

and why was it placed on just the USPS and never on another department?

$500 hammers are cool?
31. Author: HockeyDadDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 7:43PM EST
No they don’t.
32. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 8:17PM EST
you are mostly right HD...the USPS does not have to budget and pay for 75 years of pension benefits...the 75 years number was used in an actuarial study of future costs...USPS has defaulted on the amount Congress wants them to budget for retiree medical care...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer/2020/04/14/post-office-pensions--some-key-myths-and-facts/#30ebb17247f5
33. Author: HockeyDadDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 8:26PM EST
I accept your surrender.
34. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 8:29PM EST
white flag (raised sheepishly)
35. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 8:49PM EST
from that link:

What is distinctive about the USPS is that, a a result of the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA), they are also required to pre-fund their retiree medical promises. However, what is also distinctive is that any private-sector company may simply cancel its retiree medical benefits at any time; the funding requirement for the USPS exists because only an act of Congress would enable them to cut these benefits.

again, what other department of our government has been required to do so and expected to make a profit by ill informed citizens?
36. Author: AbrignacDate: Mon, 8/24/2020, 9:06PM EST
The postal workers are represented by a different company union. Hence, different collective barging agreements. Do some investigating.
37. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 9:25PM EST
the union isn't why the mail is deliberately being slowed down.
38. Author: BuckyB93Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 10:08PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
yes, they do.
and they aren't a company either.
and we have no rights to expect a profit though they did do that prior to the 75 year thingie.

and why was it placed on just the USPS and never on another department?

$500 hammers are cool?

Not to get off track or hijack the thread but the $500 hammer thing is an easy target to, errr… hammer away at.

After working in companies that were defense (armor systems) & aerospace (navigation and targeting systems) subcontractors and then also in the medical products (heart catheters) field I got a better understanding as to why these things cost so much - the regulations and reams of paperwork that goes into supporting the qualification and production of these products is expensive.

Re: the defense stuff – if someone dies because your product failed to live up to it’s requirements you better have the paperwork trail proving that you made it exactly as it was designed. You better be able to prove that all of the components meet specifications, all off the processes were followed, all of the equipment was properly calibrated… all I’s dotted, all T’s crossed.

Re: aerospace stuff – if a plane crashes, a rocket blows up, a satellite falls from the sky it’s kind of hard to sift through the physical stuff to find out why. The paperwork, inspections, build records and every other piece of documentation used to make the product maybe the only evidence you have to find out why.

Re: heath care stuff – if someone dies and your product might be related to the cause... shut down your production line and be prepared for a flood of FDA folks to show up. You better have all your ducks in a row. Again every part of what you sold will be suspect until you can prove otherwise.

This is why a things under strict regulations cost so much and for good reason. Lot’s of lives and money is at stake.
39. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 10:33PM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
Not to get off track or hijack the thread but the $500 hammer thing is an easy target to, errr… hammer away at.

After working in companies that were defense (armor systems) & aerospace (navigation and targeting systems) subcontractors and then also in the medical products (heart catheters) field I got a better understanding as to why these things cost so much - the regulations and reams of paperwork that goes into supporting the qualification and production of these products is expensive.

Re: the defense stuff – if someone dies because your product failed to live up to it’s requirements you better have the paperwork trail proving that you made it exactly as it was designed. You better be able to prove that all of the components meet specifications, all off the processes were followed, all of the equipment was properly calibrated… all I’s dotted, all T’s crossed.

Re: aerospace stuff – if a plane crashes, a rocket blows up, a satellite falls from the sky it’s kind of hard to sift through the physical stuff to find out why. The paperwork, inspections, build records and every other piece of documentation used to make the product maybe the only evidence you have to find out why.

Re: heath care stuff – if someone dies and your product might be related to the cause... shut down your production line and be prepared for a flood of FDA folks to show up. You better have all your ducks in a row. Again every part of what you sold will be suspect until you can prove otherwise.

This is why a things under strict regulations cost so much and for good reason. Lot’s of lives and money is at stake.

for what it's worth, I understand.
And beyond that, I trust you telling me this more than other explainers.

so why is the USPS trashed when it's obvious that government promised services are operating under much different conditions than American for-profit businesses, and the USPS has had even more stringent requirements placed on it than other departments?

despite decades of mailman jokes, I've always been amazed at how well it runs. Something like a half million pieces a day? Whew!

I ran shipping for a couple of decades. UPS and Fedex failure rate was waaay more than USPS, and cost a lot more in most cases.

40. Author: ZRX1200Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 10:35PM EST
Constitutionally to deliver mail not parcels.

Isn’t the left the same group telling me it’s only ok to own a musket?

They don’t have to turn a profit but they need to function like a company who’s CEOs wouldn’t be sued and locked up if they were private. They literally lose money on every amazon package, and who owns Amazon?

Let’s not look at the whole picture........
41. Author: frankj1Date: Mon, 8/24/2020, 10:56PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
Constitutionally to deliver mail not parcels.

Isn’t the left the same group telling me it’s only ok to own a musket?

They don’t have to turn a profit but they need to function like a company who’s CEOs wouldn’t be sued and locked up if they were private. They literally lose money on every amazon package, and who owns Amazon?

Let’s not look at the whole picture........

um, if Trump is your source, turns out that is not true. Never ever think he supplies truth.

And let's not pretend for one second that Trump doesn't make unfounded charges about Amazon only because Bezos owns a newspaper that Trump hates.

Great stuff for an immature potus to obsess over. Defend that crap? Seriously?

The above posted by one who is dedicated to avoiding Amazon in order to support my local small businesses.
42. Author: ZRX1200Date: Tue, 8/25/2020, 1:10AM EST
Tel me Frank you think I base anything I say on something Trump says?

WTF you think FedEx dropped its Amazon deal?
43. Author: tonygrazDate: Tue, 8/25/2020, 6:57AM EST
With creative accounting I can show you that the Post Office makes money from Amazon shipments or I can show you they lose money on Amazon.
44. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 8/25/2020, 10:40AM EST
frankj1 wrote:
from that link:

What is distinctive about the USPS is that, a a result of the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA), they are also required to pre-fund their retiree medical promises. However, what is also distinctive is that any private-sector company may simply cancel its retiree medical benefits at any time; the funding requirement for the USPS exists because only an act of Congress would enable them to cut these benefits.

again, what other department of our government has been required to do so and expected to make a profit by ill informed citizens?

They have a special sweetheart retiree medical package so they have to fund it special unlike other departments.

Just like the 75 years pension, you’re falling for party line propaganda and are regurgitating fake facts. I accept your surrender as well.

45. Author: Stogie1020Date: Tue, 8/25/2020, 11:33AM EST
FTR Frank, I don't want the USPS to turn a profit. I want it to break even.

Ask yourselves this... If you needed to send the bank closing documents for your new house, would you put it in an envelope and drop it at the post office or would you go to FedEX/UPS to send it? When I paid quarterly estimated Fed taxes, I would literally stress out that the USPS envelope would not arrive, but my CPA said not to FedEX/UPS. Pretty sure I even took a picture of me dropping it in the mail box once or twice just for documentation.

I have ZERO faith in any kind of timely delivery or accountability from the USPS. Is that the trade off for lower costs? I would rather pay more. Except when I mailed CarsontheKitty his Gurkhas. Those went in a USPS FRB because they didn't deserve any better.

And FTR Victor, the bill allowed for "non postal financial services" which were widely discussed as the financial services I noted. As you well know, the language of the bill (and many others) is intentionally left vague to allow for 'interpretation', and it was clear from the proponents of the bill what services they were interested in tacking on to the USPS.
46. Author: victor809Date: Tue, 8/25/2020, 12:36PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:

And FTR Victor, the bill allowed for "non postal financial services" which were widely discussed as the financial services I noted. As you well know, the language of the bill (and many others) is intentionally left vague to allow for 'interpretation', and it was clear from the proponents of the bill what services they were interested in tacking on to the USPS.

The "non postal services" were defined specifically in the bill. As I documented above.
47. Author: ZRX1200Date: Tue, 8/25/2020, 1:03PM EST
Tony with all due respect you think a private company drops that contract for no reason?

And government agencies don’t care much about creative accounting as they get more money for F***ing up.....that’s kinda my whole point with the USPS. They don’t have to turn a profit IMO but they have got to not be total 💩
48. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 8/25/2020, 1:06PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
They have a special sweetheart retiree medical package so they have to fund it special unlike other departments.

Just like the 75 years pension, you’re falling for party line propaganda and are regurgitating fake facts. I accept your surrender as well.

but the Federal government negotiated it with the postal union?
The union should have turned it down?
Not sure how you are justifying the special treatment USPS is getting that other departments do not get
49. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 8/25/2020, 1:21PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:
FTR Frank, I don't want the USPS to turn a profit. I want it to break even.

Ask yourselves this... If you needed to send the bank closing documents for your new house, would you put it in an envelope and drop it at the post office or would you go to FedEX/UPS to send it? When I paid quarterly estimated Fed taxes, I would literally stress out that the USPS envelope would not arrive, but my CPA said not to FedEX/UPS. Pretty sure I even took a picture of me dropping it in the mail box once or twice just for documentation.

I have ZERO faith in any kind of timely delivery or accountability from the USPS. Is that the trade off for lower costs? I would rather pay more. Except when I mailed CarsontheKitty his Gurkhas. Those went in a USPS FRB because they didn't deserve any better.

I've used certified mail for things like IRS payments, legal docs etc. never had an issue.
Wouldn't drop in a box though, prefer to do it at the counter.
Not very expensive either.
Maybe they should charge more? I dunno.

It appears that my real life experiences with USPS is not the norm around here.

But I still believe this current situation has been in the works for a few months with the goals of undermining public confidence in USPS, followed by implementing methods to deliberately slow down the mail, and then claiming an invalid election...or at least having the claim warming up in the bullpen if he loses.
50. Author: victor809Date: Tue, 8/25/2020, 1:37PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
I've used certified mail for things like IRS payments, legal docs etc. never had an issue.
Wouldn't drop in a box though, prefer to do it at the counter.
Not very expensive either.
Maybe they should charge more? I dunno.

It appears that my real life experiences with USPS is not the norm around here.

But I still believe this current situation has been in the works for a few months with the goals of undermining public confidence in USPS, followed by implementing methods to deliberately slow down the mail, and then claiming an invalid election...or at least having the claim warming up in the bullpen if he loses.

Your experience isn't unusual.
A lot of important mail is handled by the USPS, successfully. The government sends you your important mail by USPS.

The whole "you wouldn't just drop your XXX off in a mail box, would you?" is a new weird talking point that's been circulating a little.
FirstPrev12NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic