Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev12NextLast
The end of an era.....
1. Author: CarsonTheCatDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 1:34PM EST
Sounds like an ominous title, but I wasn't quite sure how to broach the topic.

Got some rather sobering news from my doctor today that if I don't stop smoking and drinking now, that I probably won't make it past 60 years old. Which hit close to home, seeing as how both my father and his father died at 61 years old from heart issues. Apparently, after putting all the pieces together, there is quite the history of heart disease, heart failure and heart attacks on my father's side of the family, with most of the men not making it to 70.

I certainly abused my body in the past (especially in my crazy 20s) with excessive alcohol, cigarettes and pot. I thought maybe cigars would be a better alternative, but the doctor noticed some irregularities with my heart (elevated heart rate and blood pressure, as well as the possible start of atrial fibrillation).

I waited 30 years to find the right woman and get married for the first and only time in my life, so I need to make some drastic changes in my life to ensure I have as long as possible with her, and hopefully outlive my dad and grandpa.

I've decided to heed the doctor's warning and my wife's pleading, and quit smoking and drinking for good. I've made great friends here, and hope that me NOT smoking won't stop us from remaining friends. I may possibly have one cigar a year on my birthday.

It's a difficult decision to make, but I need to make sure I'm around for as long as possible.

I know I'm part of the October Box Pass that was put together by the wonderful SirKnight, and want to remain a part of it. Therefore, my contribution will be all "Puts" and no "Takes".

I'm not sure what I will be doing with my collection, especially since I just got a fantastic n00b PIB from Corey Sellers, not to mention ALL of the sticks I've received during my time here from ALL of you amazing friends! I could split the collection up into "fivers" (who am I kidding, we don't know how to count for schit here) and mail them out to everyone on here I have address for. Or I could hold onto them and age them considerably, and have more than enough to last me for the rest of my life.

I treasure all of you, and appreciate the education I've received and the friendships I've made during my time here.

2. Author: KrazeehorseDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 1:56PM EST
I hear you man. I had my last stick on 8/22/19. I still sit with some friends and enjoy a little second hand smoke once in a while. I've got a sizeable inventory that I really need to dispense. In the meantime I can at least look at them. I miss the process as much as the actual flavor. I loved just sitting by my pond or in the cave with the dogs for a couple hours. I can still do that but the motivation isn't what it used to be with the cigar. They just made me carve out some relaxation time. Oh well. (BTW I have CHF and actually had a remarkable improvement on EF at my echo last Friday. Thank you Entresto)
3. Author: CarsonTheCatDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 2:14PM EST
Krazeehorse wrote:
I hear you man. I had my last stick on 8/22/19. I still sit with some friends and enjoy a little second hand smoke once in a while. I've got a sizeable inventory that I really need to dispense. In the meantime I can at least look at them. I miss the process as much as the actual flavor. I loved just sitting by my pond or in the cave with the dogs for a couple hours. I can still do that but the motivation isn't what it used to be with the cigar. They just made me carve out some relaxation time. Oh well. (BTW I have CHF and actually had a remarkable improvement on EF at my echo last Friday. Thank you Entresto)

I know what you mean. Cigars were my way of forcing myself to stop and be still, enjoy an hour and a half of "me time". Glad to hear that you've had improvement with your issues!

4. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 2:26PM EST
Sorry to hear but glad you’re heeding your doctor’s advice. Hard to “beat” family history / genetics so you’re definitely doing the right thing.
5. Author: CarsonTheCatDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 2:34PM EST
Palama wrote:
Sorry to hear but glad you’re heeding your doctor’s advice. Hard to “beat” family history / genetics so you’re definitely doing the right thing.

Thanks for your understanding and compassion, my friend! Certainly a sad and sucky turn of events....but I gotta do what's right for my health and longevity. As people keep telling me, my health is the number one priority.
6. Author: Gene363Date: Tue, 10/27/2020, 3:01PM EST
Only you can save yourself, the best of luck to you.
7. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 10/27/2020, 3:42PM EST
Bad news, CtC, on the one hand...

but long term, great news, since this gives you a blueprint to avoid the traps that took your male family members

quality of life is important, and if it means no cigar smoking, so be it...
8. Author: Stogie1020Date: Tue, 10/27/2020, 3:46PM EST
Sorry to hear, must be tough news to swallow. Unless you are used to swallowing, then it would be pretty easy.

You can always find another hobby/way to relax, but you only get one life.

I really hope it wasn't those Gurkhas I sent that made you sick...

Good luck!
9. Author: Stogie1020Date: Tue, 10/27/2020, 3:49PM EST
Also, it occurred to me that you made no mention of even trying to negotiate with the doctor.

I mean, what would he have said about higher quality cigars less frequently? Like, maybe a prescription for PAM64s or Liga #9s, taken once a month?

All I am saying is that everything is negotiable.
10. Author: CarsonTheCatDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 4:04PM EST
Dangit....I didn't even THINK about negotiating!!! Maybe he would have made an exception if I showed him my Tupperdor, and that I have a couple communist Montecristos and Party Shorts...that and the various Tats and Viajes....maybe he would have said those would be fine in moderation.

And the Ghurkas you sent me were the main reason for me deciding to quit smoking! LOL!
11. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 4:06PM EST
I'd get a second opinion.... do we have any doctors that post here..?? Where's DMV..?? Huh
12. Author: BuckyB93Date: Tue, 10/27/2020, 4:07PM EST
Agree with the others Re: health is more important.

I see no reason why you'd expect to be shunned from such a prestigious club such as this just because you chose not to smoke cigars. This place is more than cigars, the banter and BS is deep and will still remain even if we all quit.

Hold on to your stash. Keep some of your favs to spark up on special occasions. Keep the rest alive for RAOK or as prizes/donations for some of the fundraisers that are held around here periodically. Or trade them off for some non cigar items or what is sometimes referred to as wallet candela.

Dispense of the cigars as you wish but stick around the forum for the for the fun, frolic and stupidity.
13. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 4:08PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:
Also, it occurred to me that you made no mention of even trying to negotiate with the doctor.

I mean, what would he have said about higher quality cigars less frequently? Like, maybe a prescription for PAM64s or Liga #9s, taken once a month?

Hmm, not quite.

Back in the day I worked in a hospital as a patient transporter. We did all the mundane things for doctors, nurses, administrators, etc. Anyway, one of the "mundane" things we sometimes had to do was to take an expired patient to the Chapel or the morgue...no negotiations there. Gonz
14. Author: Stogie1020Date: Tue, 10/27/2020, 4:20PM EST
Palama wrote:
Hmm, not quite.

Back in the day I worked in a hospital as a patient transporter. We did all the mundane things for doctors, nurses, administrators, etc. Anyway, one of the "mundane" things we sometimes had to do was to take an expired patient to the Chapel or the morgue...no negotiations there. Gonz

You could have negotiated your way out of having to take them... Whistle
15. Author: JadeRoseDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 5:13PM EST
No one gives a $hit if you actually smoke cigars or not. I mean look at Drafter...all he smokes is pole and we let him stay
16. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 5:23PM EST
Yo momma smokes... cigars... Anxious
17. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 5:23PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:
You could have negotiated your way out of having to take them... Whistle

Haha! On taking them, yah, maybe could have...but still no negotiations for the patient. Pray
18. Author: CarsonTheCatDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 5:25PM EST
Oh I'm not going anywhere. I need to be able to live vicariously through you guys! And you all are family. I can't just turn my back on you guys like I did to my mom when she got a new man 2 months after my dad died....Sarcasm
19. Author: Ram27Date: Tue, 10/27/2020, 5:25PM EST
Common sense wins. Wishing you continued success my fellow Cbidder. 👍
20. Author: deadeyedickDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 6:24PM EST
CarsonTheCat wrote:
Thanks for your understanding and compassion, my friend! Certainly a sad and sucky turn of events....but I gotta do what's right for my health and longevity. As people keep telling me, my health is the number one priority.

Iffn ya haven't told your wife of your decision yet you still have a good chance to negotiate something substantial.
21. Author: tonygrazDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 6:26PM EST
Wait a minute - did you tell the doctor you had nine lives ?
22. Author: corey sellersDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 6:56PM EST
Carson just send me entire collection I will keep them for you . I will not charge you anything to maintain them and went you want a smoke you let me know.

Seriously I hate to hear this brother if you want to sell your collection the brothers on here will help you out . There a few on here that don't smoke anymore but still contribute.
23. Author: BuckyB93Date: Tue, 10/27/2020, 7:15PM EST
tonygraz wrote:
Wait a minute - did you tell the doctor you had NINE! lives ?

He's got a point.
24. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 7:21PM EST
corey sellers wrote:
Carson just send me entire collection I will keep them for you . I will not charge you anything to maintain them and went you want a smoke you let me know.

Seriously I hate to hear this brother if you want to sell your collection the brothers on here will help you out . There a few on here that don't smoke anymore but still contribute.

Weeeeelllllllllll, ain't you Mr. Nice Guy! Laugh
25. Author: dkeageDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 7:24PM EST
deadeyedick wrote:
Iffn ya haven't told your wife of your decision yet you still have a good chance to negotiate something substantial.

So much THIS!
26. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 7:30PM EST
My cardiologist told me moderation was the key............but lately I've really been out of control,stick every night and 2 three finger pours.Well after seeing this I am getting back on track immediately.Thanks Carson,I wish you all the best, “May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.”
27. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 7:38PM EST
True... true... Mellow
28. Author: Mr. JonesDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 7:43PM EST
You gotta do...what ya gotta dooooo...

You reach certain plateau's all through life...
I've seen several myself...
Zero drinking is very tough...

Moderation is the key..
For most people...
Unattainable for others...

Make the choice and stick with it...

I reached a plateau in the summer 2016 while on vacation by myself in Asheville, N.C...and after Being incessantly GANGSTALKED by the FBI-SSG DIVISION CRIMINALS from 9-9-12 TO THAT TIME I DESCRIBED ABOVE...
I JUST let those felon coward criminals masquerading as
Federal Law Enforcement in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS THAT I WAS NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY LONGER...

Just ask FBI-SSG "AgeNT TRouT" what my message to them was ...if you can find him...

THEY FINALLY GOT THE MESSAGE AND MY LIFE CHANGED FOR THE BETTER...it was not ideal or anything like my life prior to the organized Gangstalking... but liveable....

Pick a GOAL OR SITUATION THAT CAN BETTER YOUR LIFE..

ITS WHAT I DID...
29. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 7:58PM EST
Yep, all about risk and reward.

You can smoke and drink every day die all at once or not so slowly.

On the other side of the discussion, there has never been a successful doctor. Everybody born prior to 1900 is dead. A 0% effective cure rate for Life.

You could drink 200 ounces of water, work out 7 days a week, go vegan and vegetarian, eat a bag of carrot and celery sticks, and hummus, chitting five times a day and you could live to be 100.

Sure, all your friends will be dead- most of them in Heaven, and your grand kids only visit you in the nursing home twice a year since you first moved in on the day after your 89th birthday- that was 10 years ago. Catheters are part of your everyday routine.

I mean..... Good decision. I 100% support what you are going for.

Plus, you'll get the last laugh when I have my first stroke within 18 months, and I'm still alive and my wife dumps me in the nursing home. So there is that.

Good luck, Carson.
30. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 8:02PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Yep, all about risk and reward.

You can smoke and drink every day die all at once or not so slowly.

On the other side of the discussion, there has never been a successful doctor. Everybody born prior to 1900 is dead. A 0% effective cure rate for Life.

You could drink 200 ounces of water, work out 7 days a week, go vegan and vegetarian, eat a bag of carrot and celery sticks, and hummus, chitting five times a day and you could live to be 100.

Sure, all your friends will be dead- most of them in Heaven, and your grand kids only visit you in the nursing home twice a year since you first moved in on the day after your 89th birthday- that was 10 years ago. Catheters are part of your everyday routine.

I mean..... Good decision. I 100% support what you are going for.

Plus, you'll get the last laugh when I have my first stroke within 18 months, and I'm still alive and my wife dumps me in the nursing home. So there is that.

Good luck, Carson.

Well on that note........think I'll pour one and pull out a PC

Thanks 8
31. Author: McdanielsamuelDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 8:05PM EST
I would say, double down and get on good diet and exercise every day.
32. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 8:10PM EST
Gonz
Whistlebritches wrote:
Well on that note........think I'll pour one and pull out a PC

Thanks 8

33. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 8:12PM EST
If TW couldn't drink or smoke he'd whack it ten times a day... Mellow
34. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Tue, 10/27/2020, 8:39PM EST
Sorry to hear, Carson. Sounds like a smart decision. Not sure I'm that smart personally.

Ummm.... those Gurkhas were non returnable. Just sayin'
35. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 10/27/2020, 9:25PM EST
Stogie1020 wrote:

yiddishe kop right there.

Red Auerbach to KC Jones after hiring him to coach the Celts...
Dress Brittish
Think Yiddish

catguy, be smaht. you know the deal.
Any good genetics from your mom's family?
36. Author: CarsonTheCatDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 5:42AM EST
Thank you to all of you for being so supportive, and for making me laugh!

I was thinking back to all the RAOK, bombing, gifted turns and whatnot, and remember many saying they didn't want anything in return, just that I should pay it forward. I would never sell my collection, as a great deal of it is gifts from you guys and a few others on Facebook. I'd much rather save a small collection to age in the event I do have a cigar once a year, and then pay it forward. That being said; Is it wrong to give a gifted cigar?
37. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 6:24AM EST
CarsonTheCat wrote:
Thank you to all of you for being so supportive, and for making me laugh!

I was thinking back to all the RAOK, bombing, gifted turns and whatnot, and remember many saying they didn't want anything in return, just that I should pay it forward. I would never sell my collection, as a great deal of it is gifts from you guys and a few others on Facebook. I'd much rather save a small collection to age in the event I do have a cigar once a year, and then pay it forward. That being said; Is it wrong to give a gifted cigar?

No. A gifted cigar is yours once received. You can smoke, save, send, sell or (if not properly humidified) use as a lawn jart.

Good wishes for you and your heart.
38. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 6:42AM EST
You could use as a lawn dart regardless, by it would be kinda wasteful
39. Author: corey sellersDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 7:56AM EST
Gurkhas = lawn dart

Keep them and age them or send some to the troops . I will add my 2 cents for what it's worth. My grandfather had a pacemaker put in his early 70's he lived to be 91.My dad had a double bypass and he died at 67 but it was not from his heart it was leukemia that got him. I was put on blood pressure medication in my 30s .While pops was going through the cancer issues I decided to lose weight and I dropped 50lbs . Know I take a half a pill. Exercise and a good diet will help out .But you could be walking out to get the mail and someone run you over. You just never know when or what it will be . Live every day like it's your last cause it very well could be.
40. Author: CarsonTheCatDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 8:22AM EST
corey sellers wrote:
Gurkhas = lawn dart

Keep them and age them or send some to the troops . I will add my 2 cents for what it's worth. My grandfather had a pacemaker put in his early 70's he lived to be 91.My dad had a double bypass and he died at 67 but it was not from his heart it was leukemia that got him. I was put on blood pressure medication in my 30s .While pops was going through the cancer issues I decided to lose weight and I dropped 50lbs . Know I take a half a pill. Exercise and a good diet will help out .But you could be walking out to get the mail and someone run you over. You just never know when or what it will be . Live every day like it's your last cause it very well could be.

I'm so sorry to hear of what you grandpa and dad went through....glad to hear you're doing well though!

My mom's side of the family seems to have good DNA, with my mom's dad living until he was 89, although the last few years he was in a nursing home with terribly debilitating dementia. My mom kept him at home as long as she possibly could, but when my dad died, mom couldn't care for him by herself anymore.

And you're absolutely right, I could live the healthiest life possible, and still die suddenly from non-health matters. My wife and I are doing all we can to eat well and exercise. Weight is an issue for both of us, because of both our family's genetics. But thankfully, in the last 6 months, we've both lost about 20 lbs each.

And yes, Ghurkas = Lawn Darts! I think I would like to keep a collection of the most special sticks, age them, and maybe have one a year. I like your idea to send them to the troops as well. Those folks face some of the hardest situations trying to keep our country free, and they deserve far more than they get.
41. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 8:26AM EST
corey sellers wrote:
You just never know when or what it will be . Live every day like it's your last cause it very well could be.

I’ll have to disagree with this.

If you live today as if it is going to be your last, you’d...

Stop going to work, paying bills, showering, maintenance of any kind, blow all your cash and be broke tomorrow.

When tomorrow comes and you ARE screwed. You’ll wish yesterday was your last.
42. Author: corey sellersDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 12:35PM EST
Anyone up for blow and hookers.

Maybe I should have put it live every day to it's fullest.
43. Author: BuckwheatDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 12:39PM EST
Happy and Healthy Trails CtC! fog
44. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 12:43PM EST
Quitters are losers. I don't like losers.

Good bye.
45. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 1:57PM EST
corey sellers wrote:
Anyone up for blow and hookers.

Maybe I should have put it live every day to it's fullest.

BigGrin
46. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 1:58PM EST
teedubbya wrote:

Good bye.

Bloody! Come back!
47. Author: ZRX1200Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 2:11PM EST
Well you gotta take care of yourself nobody else will, but don’t ever feel like not smoking doesn’t mean you can’t have fellowship here or even go camping......
48. Author: CarsonTheCatDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 2:26PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
Well you gotta take care of yourself nobody else will, but don’t ever feel like not smoking doesn’t mean you can’t have fellowship here or even go camping......

Oh, I certainly WILL stick around. Y'all would miss me too much....who am I kidding? I would miss YOU guys too much!
49. Author: CarsonTheCatDate: Wed, 10/28/2020, 2:26PM EST
teedubbya wrote:

Good bye.

I love you too, TW!
50. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 10/28/2020, 4:36PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:

CarsonTheCat wrote:
Oh, I certainly WILL stick around. Y'all would miss me too much....who am I kidding? I would miss YOU guys too much!

did you intentionally ignore the last part of Z's post?
FirstPrev12NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic