Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
RIP Herb Adderley
1. Author: PalamaDate: Fri, 10/30/2020, 12:03PM EST
Another sad day for Packer fans.

Former All-Pro cornerback dead at 81.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/30/hall-of-famer-herb-adderley-dies-at-81/

2. Author: delta1Date: Fri, 10/30/2020, 12:57PM EST
seems a lot of the greats from my childhood are leaving us...RIP Mr. Adderley
3. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Fri, 10/30/2020, 6:46PM EST
delta1 wrote:
seems a lot of the greats from my childhood are leaving us...RIP Mr. Adderley

Dear Lord if they were playing when you were a kid ..................wasn't that back when Moses was the best QB in the league

RIP Mr Adderly
4. Author: Burner02Date: Fri, 10/30/2020, 7:37PM EST
Another great one gone.

RIP!
5. Author: delta1Date: Fri, 10/30/2020, 9:10PM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
Dear Lord if they were playing when you were a kid ..................wasn't that back when Moses was the best QB in the league

RIP Mr Adderly

Norm Van Brocklin took the job when Moses got hurt
6. Author: frankj1Date: Fri, 10/30/2020, 9:13PM EST
delta1 wrote:
Norm Van Brocklin took the job when Moses got hurt

Huh. I woulda bet it was Sid Luckman.

anyway, Adderley was a tremendous cornerback.
RIP
7. Author: delta1Date: Fri, 10/30/2020, 9:14PM EST
I think Moses took over when Luckman got hurt...
8. Author: BuckyB93Date: Fri, 10/30/2020, 10:05PM EST
Another GB great passes away. He was before my time though. Most of the Lombardi guys were but as kids we were weened on remembrances of the glory days.

Had a T-shirt with his number and name on it. Most folks here in MA didn't know what who he was. I wouldn't expect them to. Now if I was back home, I'm sure the old timers would be able to recognize the name.

On a side note, I met Nitschke as I kid. He did a meet and greet, autograph signing thing it the local liquor store in Greendale WI, just a few blocks from grandma's house. My dad brought me there. I was prolly 8 yrs old. This was before football stars were all celebrity status and stuff. Autographs were free, it was just a promo for the new liquor store. The guy was huge! I vividly remember how big his hands were compared to my 8 yr old paw when he shook my hand. Gave me one of his Superbowl rings to try on, took about 3 of my fingers to fit into it.
9. Author: BuckyB93Date: Fri, 10/30/2020, 10:06PM EST
NINE!

(Adderley was 81: 8+1 = NINE!)
10. Author: PalamaDate: Fri, 10/30/2020, 10:28PM EST
Cool story Theodore! ThumpUp
11. Author: JadeRoseDate: Sat, 10/31/2020, 6:27AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
Another GB great passes away. He was before my time though. Most of the Lombardi guys were but as kids we were weened on remembrances of the glory days.

Had a T-shirt with his number and name on it. Most folks here in MA didn't know what who he was. I wouldn't expect them to. Now if I was back home, I'm sure the old timers would be able to recognize the name.

On a side note, I met Nitschke as I kid. He did a meet and greet, autograph signing thing it the local liquor store in Greendale WI, just a few blocks from grandma's house. My dad brought me there. I was prolly 8 yrs old. This was before football stars were all celebrity status and stuff. Autographs were free, it was just a promo for the new liquor store. The guy was huge! I vividly remember how big his hands were compared to my 8 yr old paw when he shook my hand. Gave me one of his Superbowl rings to try on, took about 3 of my fingers to fit into it.

I wore # 66 in high school in honor of Nitschke and modeled my game after him. I tried to be the meanest MF-er on the field
12. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 10/31/2020, 10:54AM EST
JadeRose wrote:
I wore # 66 in high school in honor of Nitschke and modeled my game after him. I tried to be the meanest MF-er on the field

all this time everyone thought you were honoring the philosopher
13. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 10/31/2020, 11:00AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:

if they're close to my vintage they sure remember him. Before the AFL and during the early years of it we had NY Giants games pumped into our territory every Sunday as part of a regional marketing scheme. To this day I know people who are Giants fans because they grew up watching Y.A. Titttle throw bombs to Del Shofner, or watched even before those couple of years
14. Author: streetrodDate: Sat, 10/31/2020, 6:32PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
if they're close to my vintage they sure remember him. Before the AFL and during the early years of it we had NY Giants games pumped into our territory every Sunday as part of a regional marketing scheme. To this day I know people who are Giants fans because they grew up watching Y.A. Titttle throw bombs to Del Shofner, or watched even before those couple of years

Adderly was definitely amongst the best. One tough SOB. RIP

The good old days for us Giants fans.
15. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 10/31/2020, 9:34PM EST
streetrod wrote:
Adderly was definitely amongst the best. One tough SOB. RIP

The good old days for us Giants fans.

just a couple of old Franks, I guess.
16. Author: streetrodDate: Sun, 11/1/2020, 6:15AM EST
frankj1 wrote:
just a couple of old Franks, I guess.

Yes we are, but it beats the alternative!
17. Author: thursonDate: Mon, 11/2/2020, 4:45PM EST
frankj1 wrote:

Y.A., the Bald Eagle. I grew up watching him throw bombs (alley oops) to R.C. Owens for the Niners.

Damn, I'm old. fog
18. Author: thursonDate: Mon, 11/2/2020, 4:49PM EST
Oh yeah, one other thing. I saw the thread title and I thought, oh damn, RIP Cannonball Adderley. Wait, he's been dead for 45 years....never mind.
19. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 11/2/2020, 4:59PM EST
cannnnnnnonballllllll!!!

betcha he liked a lil herb
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic