Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Mr. Trump, Private Citizen
1. Author: rfenstDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 1:03PM EST
Democrats want to punish the ex-President but may revive him.

WSJ Editorial Board

Democrats can’t let go of Donald Trump even as a former President, so on Monday House managers walked their article of impeachment to the Senate for a trial. Their goal is to banish Mr. Trump from running for office again. The result may instead be his acquittal and political revival.

Democrats have already forced one impeachment trial, resulting in acquittal and no notable decline in his political standing. He lost the election due to his handling of Covid and its consequences. But now Democrats want to do it once more with feeling, after Mr. Trump urged his supporters to march on the Capitol on Jan. 6 with a goal of overturning the Electoral College vote for Joe Biden.

We’ve said Mr. Trump’s actions—and failure to act to stop the riot as it unfolded—were an impeachable offense and urged him to resign. But now he is out of office and no longer the “imminent threat” that House Democrats said justified their rushed impeachment. The question is what good purpose a Senate trial will serve, and that isn’t apparent.
The Democratic case is that Mr. Trump must be punished lest any future President try something similar in his final days. A conviction by two-thirds of the Senate would also open him to a majority vote barring Mr. Trump from running for public office again. But what if he is acquitted?

One problem is whether such a trial is even constitutional. We’ve run op-eds arguing pro and con. The language in the Constitution refers to impeachment against a President while in office, and Mr. Trump is now a private citizen. Chief Justice John Roberts doesn’t seem to believe he needs to preside over the trial because the Constitution stipulates that role for the Chief only for a President. Senior Democrat Pat Leahy will preside instead.

On the other hand, the Founders were clearly aware of the British attempt to impeach Warren Hastings for malfeasance as former Governor-General of Bengal. In the only relevant precedent, the U.S. Senate held a trial of a former War Secretary in 1876 after he was impeached and resigned. But Senators acquitted William Belknap in part because some thought a trial after resignation was unconstitutional.

The evidence can support either view, but it’s unsettled law and GOP Senators are lining up to say it’s unconstitutional. Perhaps the House managers will turn up evidence beyond what we already know that persuades the 17 GOP Senators necessary to convict. But most Democrats are already saying they need no new evidence since the facts of what Mr. Trump said and did are on the public record.

Meanwhile, Mr. Trump will be able to marshal a defense that he wasn’t allowed to present in the House. He will have a new megaphone for that defense during the trial, and you can bet he will make the case that he is the victim of a sham, partisan show trial. He will mobilize his supporters to pressure GOP Senators, who will have to make a hard political calculation.

It’s easy for Democrats and the press to claim Republicans should vote to convict, but most want to run for re-election again. The rushed House vote—no hearings, no defense—also makes a vote to convict more difficult.

Most GOP voters long ago stopped trusting the mainstream media. Most of the conservative press opposes conviction. Look at the abuse that Liz Cheney, the third-ranking Republican in the House, is taking for voting for impeachment. She made a justifiable vote of conscience. But back-benchers are trying to oust her from the leadership.
All of this suggests the trial, which will start in earnest on Feb. 9, will end in Senate acquittal. If it does, Mr. Trump will claim vindication, and it doesn’t matter how many times Speaker Nancy Pelosi claims he has been “impeached forever.” Mr. Trump will play it as one more show of elite contempt for the “deplorables” who are his voters. He could emerge politically strengthened.

Perhaps this is what Democrats really want, since they know how much they have benefited politically from having Mr. Trump as a foil. They may think they have nothing to lose. If enough GOP Senators vote to convict, Mr. Trump’s supporters will hold it against Republicans more than Democrats. And even if he can’t run for office himself, he can still cause much political mischief.

If they vote to acquit, Mr. Trump can run for the GOP nomination again or as a third-party candidate. The longer Mr. Trump remains a force in politics, the longer he will unite Democrats and divide Republicans. If you think this sounds too cynical, you haven’t met Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

We thought Joe Biden could have benefited from asking Mrs. Pelosi and Mr. Schumer to drop the trial now that Mr. Trump has decamped to Florida. Mr. Trump’s Presidency and his election challenge would have ended in infamy with the riot at the Capitol and the loss of two Georgia seats and Senate GOP control. But Democrats and the press are addicted to Donald J. Trump, so America gets to do this all over again.
2. Author: Gene363Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 2:21PM EST
Neither party has ever understood the law of unintended consequences.
3. Author: Smooth lightDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 2:26PM EST
The demon-rats can't afford to do it again in four years. China won't pay for it either.
4. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 2:31PM EST
every body seems to focus on Trump and his base and how it affects the GOP...as if they are the ones that wield the biggest stick in US politics...

neglect to consider the huge majority of Americans, Dems and independents who did not vote FOR Biden, but AGAINST Trump...their voices demand attention also...
5. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 4:03PM EST
well, you know what they say.... Mellow
6. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 4:14PM EST
rfenst wrote:
We thought Joe Biden could have benefited from asking Mrs. Pelosi and Mr. Schumer to drop the trial now that Mr. Trump has decamped to Florida. Mr. Trump’s Presidency and his election challenge would have ended in infamy with the riot at the Capitol and the loss of two Georgia seats and Senate GOP control. But Democrats and the press are addicted to Donald J. Trump, so America gets to do this all over again.

The calls for unity are just an optic. Behind the words are a dead cat bounce of actions. He didn't win the election. He's no longer a sitting President. To push the impeachment narrative is really unconstitutional. It defies everything we know about what happened on Jan.6th as well.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/15/956842958/what-we-know-so-far-a-timeline-of-security-at-the-capitol-on-january-6

Read that. Hardly a right wing screaming meamie. Its right there in black and white, clear as crystal.

Find me the lines..."BURN THIS MF'er to the ground and hang VP Mike Pence" in this transcript. Read it several times and watched him deliver it as well. The words like "insurrection" ring hollow to me. The majority that were there that day didn't create the havoc and chaos that ex-President Trump is accused of.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/donald-trump-speech-save-america-rally-transcript-january-6

He won't be convicted and Pelosi and Schiff will be left holding a bag of hate for a mob that will willingly let BLM and Antifa run amok in cities for months because they've already done that.

Unity my ass. I get it already, you have no love for the man, the job he did nor even America and the Constitution at this point but keep on going down this slippery slope of division and watch what will happen at the mid-terms.

The Xiden Administration is EXACTLY what I expected. So far it's been an overreach after overreach after embarrassment.
Its not going to ever get better. Jets being deployed to the polar cap. Syria is erupting. Missiles over Israel and Saudi Arabia and bumbling stumbling stuttering Joe at the helm. Pathetic.
7. Author: JadeRoseDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 4:54PM EST
My feelings about 45 should be well know by now. I'd like to see him swinging at the end of a rope...but...the Dems need to drop this and get on with it. 45 should be tried in a criminal court of law for his crimes. If DC wants to prosecute him for inciting a riot, go for it. If Georgia wants to prosecute him for election interference...go for it. Tie his ass up in Criminal courts and let a jury decide his fate. The US needs to flush him out of our collective system like you would flush away the aftermath of a night filled with Pabst Blue Ribbon and Taco Bell. Besides.....if they ARE gonna go ahead with the impeachment trial...what's the rush? I mean 45 is gone. Do a good job and get a true senate majority in 2022. THEN Impeach his ass.
8. Author: teedubbyaDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 4:57PM EST
I agree with most of this. I’m anti death penalty but if there’s a criminal case go for it. Otherwise let’s move on.
9. Author: JadeRoseDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 5:05PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
I agree with most of this. I’m anti death penalty but if there’s a criminal case go for it. Otherwise let’s move on.

Would it help if I changed "swinging at the end of a rope" to "choke to death on a burrito?" I don't want to upset you.
10. Author: KrazeehorseDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 5:09PM EST
Thank goodness they are entertaining themselves with this instead of screwing things up with legislation.
11. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 6:04PM EST
Krazeehorse wrote:
Thank goodness they are entertaining themselves with this instead of screwing things up with legislation.

All easily reversed at this point.
12. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 6:20PM EST
delta1 wrote:

neglect to consider the huge majority of Americans, Dems and independents who did not vote FOR Biden, but AGAINST Trump...their voices demand attention also...

You will get no attention. You’re just along for the ride. Buckle up.
13. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 8:23PM EST
both sides scream bloody murder when their party is out of power...predicting that America will burn to the ground when the other side is in charge...it's come close, but haven't so far...

so who's driving again?

I am positive that if a Dem POTUS...Hillary?... did exactly what Trump did, and had a majority in the House and a 50-50 Senate with an incoming POTUS...they'd be planning an impeachment trial in the next few weeks...
14. Author: teedubbyaDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 9:11PM EST
Jade is that like a Mexican mama cass?
15. Author: teedubbyaDate: Tue, 1/26/2021, 9:14PM EST
16. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 1/26/2021, 10:28PM EST
delta1 wrote:
both sides scream bloody murder when their party is out of power...predicting that America will burn to the ground when the other side is in charge...it's come close, but haven't so far...

so who's driving again?

I am positive that if a Dem POTUS...Hillary?... did exactly what Trump did, and had a majority in the House and a 50-50 Senate with an incoming POTUS...they'd be planning an impeachment trial in the next few weeks...

even if she did not have sexual relations with that woman?
17. Author: tonygrazDate: Wed, 1/27/2021, 10:05AM EST
teedubbya wrote:

You can say that all you want - but it's not true and repetition will not change that.
18. Author: CelticBomberDate: Wed, 1/27/2021, 10:12AM EST
Smooth light wrote:
The demon-rats can't afford to do it again in four years. China won't pay for it either.

But, Mexico will ;-p
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic