Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev12NextLast
WAPO Opinion: The GOP isn’t doomed. It’s dead.
1. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 2:25PM EST
Kathleen Parker

With the electoral eviction of Donald Trump from the Oval Office, Republicans had a shot at redemption and resurrection.

They missed and failed — and deserve to spend the next several years in political purgatory. The chaos now enveloping what’s left of the Grand Old Party after four years of catering to an unstable president is theirs to own. Where conservatism once served as a moderating force — gently braking liberalism’s boundless enthusiasm — the former home of ordered liberty has become a halfway house for ruffians, insurrectionists and renegade warriors.

What does Trump have on these people, one wonders? The continuing loyalty of so many to a man so demonstrably dangerous can’t be explained by “the base,” a word never more aptly applied. What secrets were shared by Trump and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who, after blaming Trump for the Jan. 6 mob attack, visited Trump at Mar-a-Lago this week to make amends? It seems that The Don, yet another appropriate nickname, need only purse his button lips and whistle to summon his lap dogs to Palm Beach, there to conspire for the next Big Lie.

A resolution to expel Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) from Congress was drafted on Jan. 28, following her recently unveiled endorsements of political violence. (The Washington Post)

The party’s end was inevitable, foreshadowed in 2008 when little-boy Republican males, dazzled by the pretty, born-again, pro-life Alaska governor, thought Sarah Palin should be a heartbeat away from the presidency. The dumbing down of conservatism, in other words, began its terminal-velocity plunge, with a wink and a pair of shiny red shoes. Palin cast a spell as potent as the poppy fields of Oz, but turned the United States into her own moose-poppin,’ gum-smackin’ reality show.

Forget Kansas. We’re not in America anymore.

Eight years of Barack Obama added insult to injury and paved the way for Trump — a gaudier, cinematic version of the “thrillah from Wasilla.” Seizing upon our every worst instinct, he turned Palin’s lipsticked pig into a herd of seething, primitive barbarians. Now, the Department of Homeland Security is warning of yet more violence by domestic extremists, presumably from the ranks of the mob and QAnon conspiracists who stormed the Capitol with blood on their minds.

For Donald Trump, you went down this road? Either Trump has a stockpile of incriminating videos — his people have people, you know — or today’s Republicans are the weakest, wimpiest, most pathetic crop of needy nincompoops in U.S. history.

Suddenly, the “good ones” are worried about their newest member, Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), a QAnon-promoting female version of Trump — only without the charm. You begin to see how this monster mutates like a certain virus into ever-more-dangerous versions of itself. Among other things, Greene embraces the conspiracy theory that the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre and the slaughter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., were staged. One struggles for words, but I’ll settle for “creep.”

Recently unearthed video shows Greene chasing David Hogg, the Parkland student who rose to public prominence as a gun-control activist after the February 2018 shooting, goading him to respond to her insinuation that his ability to get appointments with U.S. senators when she couldn’t obviously meant he was a public relations spawn and not a survivor of a terrorist attack.

I confess to early uncertainty about Hogg, who was preternaturally adept at media management and public speaking, suddenly materializing from the fog of horror. But the notion that he was somehow complicit in a manufactured act of mass murder is beyond the pale even for the farthest right.

Good work, GOP. You got yourself a live one. Naturally, Greene has been assigned to the Education and Labor Committee.

Going forward, not only will House Republicans be associated with a colleague who “liked” a Twitter post calling for Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s murder. They’ll be attached to QAnon, which promotes the extraordinary fiction that Trump was leading a war against Satan-worshiping pedophiles and cannibals, whose leadership includes Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Tom Hanks and, oh, by the way, yours truly, as well as U2’s Bono.

To those Republicans who can read: You own all of this. The party isn’t doomed; it’s dead. The chance to move away from Trumpism, toward a more respectful, civilized approach to governance that acknowledges the realities of a diverse nation and that doesn’t surrender to the clenched fist, has slipped away. What comes next is anybody’s guess. But anyone who doesn’t speak out against the myths and lies of fringe groups, domestic terrorists and demagogues such as Trump deserves only defeat — and a lengthy exile in infamy. Good riddance.
2. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 2:28PM EST
LMAO
3. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 2:43PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
LMAO

I better change my voter ID card party affiliation.
4. Author: KrazeehorseDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 2:46PM EST
It's almost like that paper was biased or something.
5. Author: RayRDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 3:40PM EST
Krazeehorse wrote:
It's almost like that paper was biased or something.

WAPO op-ed, just as bad as the New York Times
Zzzzzzzzzz...........Snort 🥱 😴🥱 😴🥱 😴🥱 😴
6. Author: nogamesguyDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 4:50PM EST
RayR wrote:
WAPO op-ed, just as bad as the New York Times
Zzzzzzzzzz...........Snort 🥱 😴🥱 😴🥱 😴🥱 😴

Cnn, MSDNC, etc, all the same fake news. Opinion pieces are dumb and not news anyway.
7. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 5:47PM EST
It Can't Happen Here
Sinclair Lewis

The novel describes the rise of Berzelius "Buzz" Windrip, a demagogue who is elected President of the United States, after fomenting fear and promising drastic economic and social reforms while promoting a return to patriotism and "traditional" values.

Great American novel. Been suggesting it for a decade here...well before Trump.
8. Author: deadeyedickDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 5:56PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
It Can't Happen Here
Sinclair Lewis

The novel describes the rise of Berzelius "Buzz" Windrip, a demagogue who is elected President of the United States, after fomenting fear and promising drastic economic and social reforms while promoting a return to patriotism and "traditional" values.

Isn't this exactly what shaky Joe is doing this very minute? How many years of this new direction before we call a halt?
9. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 6:35PM EST
not sure Trump did not promise them as well.

But do you see Biden doing the other parts of the novel's description?

...a demagogue who is elected President of the United States, after fomenting fear while promoting a return to patriotism and "traditional" values.

10. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 6:57PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
It Can't Happen Here
Sinclair Lewis

Have you read Atlas Shrugged?
11. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 7:00PM EST
Sinclair was a rabble rouser and a muckraker. And a smart one at that.

12. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 7:02PM EST
Geddy Lee is or was a huge Ayn Rand fan.
13. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 7:31PM EST
rfenst wrote:
Have you read Atlas Shrugged?

started a zillion years ago, must admit I did not finish it.
I am somewhat familiar with Rand's views, don't think I'd be an all-in supporter.

I'm more of a fan of owing something to the collective good.
Feels more natural to me.
14. Author: Smooth lightDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 9:21PM EST
Sinclair was required reading in POD
In jr.high school.
15. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 9:50PM EST
Smooth light wrote:
Sinclair was required reading in POD
In jr.high school.

not upton sinclair...sinclair lewis.
Try reading him as a grown up, might see things differently since you probably have a better understanding of 1930's Hitler fawning society and what left the door open.
16. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 10:17PM EST
Lol
17. Author: teedubbyaDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 10:18PM EST
Sorry that made me chuckle. I can’t help but feel responsible.
18. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 10:22PM EST
I blame Biden.
10 days and still hasn't fixed it.
19. Author: RobertHivelyDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 10:24PM EST
He'll get to that Executive Order this upcoming week.
20. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 10:48PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
not sure Trump did not promise them as well.

But do you see Biden doing the other parts of the novel's description?

...a demagogue who is elected President of the United States, after fomenting fear while promoting a return to patriotism and "traditional" values.

How did that book end? You know Trump is gone right?
21. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 10:54PM EST
it ends with Trump smiting all the Democrat Commie Pedophile Cannibal Satan Worshippers and being named President for Life.
How Lewis could foresee all this in 1935 is one of life's mysteries.
22. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 10:58PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
it ends with Trump smiting all the Democrat Commie Pedophile Cannibal Satan Worshippers and being named President for Life.
How Lewis could foresee all this in 1935 is one of life's mysteries.

Yeah but none of that happened. You’re afraid of a ghost. Now we need to assess the likelihood of a one party nation and president for life emerging from the DNC. Place your bets.
23. Author: Smooth lightDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 10:58PM EST
Read your f'n post,read both... move over your standing in the light.

The new boss is the same as the old boss... won't get fooled again.
24. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 11:20PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Yeah but none of that happened. You’re afraid of a ghost. Now we need to assess the likelihood of a one party nation and president for life emerging from the DNC. Place your bets.

obviously you are behind in your q-anon updates.
the Biden Administration is an illusion. Trump is still in office.

Or something close to that.

I wish I was kidding. And these people may not represent mainstream GOP, but they will say they are until normal grows a pair.
25. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 11:21PM EST
Smooth light wrote:
Read your f'n post,read both... move over your standing in the light.

The new boss is the same as the old boss... won't get fooled again.

quoting song lyrics.
Cool.
26. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 11:25PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
obviously you are behind in your q-anon updates.
the Biden Administration is an illusion. Trump is still in office.

Or something close to that.

I wish I was kidding. And these people may not represent mainstream GOP, but they will say they are until normal grows a pair.

So the GOP needs to virtue signal against QAnon?
27. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 11:29PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
So the GOP needs to virtue signal against QAnon?

too silly for stuff like this.
28. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 11:34PM EST
I dunno. I find QAnon pretty silly.
29. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 1/30/2021, 11:37PM EST
so silly that it's unfathomable the inroads they have made in one of the major parties.

Of course you find them silly. Your like normal. Caught ya napping though.
30. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sat, 1/30/2021, 11:44PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
so silly that it's unfathomable the inroads they have made in one of the major parties.

Of course you find them silly. Your like normal. Caught ya napping though.

I’m not normal. I’m a new progressive! I have had a fair amount of wine today.
31. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 1/31/2021, 10:01AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
I’m not normal. I’m a new progressive! I have had a fair amount of wine today.

you hide it well!
I can only hope I am not obviously imbibing when I get cray cray
32. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sun, 1/31/2021, 10:09AM EST
I shall copyright a new term: “carpetbagger progressive”.
33. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sun, 1/31/2021, 10:13AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
I shall copyright a new term: “carpetbagger progressive”.

Because drunk as Pelosi is already taken???
34. Author: frankj1Date: Sun, 1/31/2021, 10:20AM EST
I'm laughing before noon.
It's gonna be a great day!
35. Author: MACSDate: Sun, 1/31/2021, 11:32PM EST
Sadly, the op-ed may be pretty damn close to correct. Conservatives fell asleep at the wheel. They got freaked with the okey doke. Libs control the house, senate and presidency now. Along with the media, academia and the interwebs.

Conservatives are f---ed. And not in the good way.

If a conservative site like Parler can be shut down and no internet provider will grant them a platform... pretty much trampling the 1st amendment... 1984 is here, folks. All dissenting voices shall be silenced.
36. Author: BuckyB93Date: Mon, 2/1/2021, 12:18AM EST
MACS wrote:
Sadly, the op-ed may be pretty damn close to correct. Conservatives fell asleep at the wheel. They got freaked with the okey doke. Libs control the house, senate and presidency now. Along with the media, academia and the interwebs.

If a conservative site like Parler can be shut down and no internet provider will grant them a platform... pretty much trampling the 1st amendment... 1984 is here, folks. All dissenting voices shall be silenced.

If you heard me try to sing, you'd be 100% behind this idea. Ain't no doubt about it...

....We were doubly blessed
'Cause we were barely seventeen
And we were barely dressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk1MpWFtteU
37. Author: teedubbyaDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 7:50AM EST
Silenced by the government? Nope. Learn the 1st amendment.

All the silenced folks sure are squawking loudly on all the outlets that will have them. Hawley gets way more face time and print time then before he was silenced.

Someone needs to actually read 1984 rather than repeating what they heard.
38. Author: teedubbyaDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 7:52AM EST
1st amendment doesn’t say you get to spew bs on any and every platform you want. It just says you can spew bs without the government stopping you.

When did the trump faux Republicans forget so much about the constitution and it’s amendments?
39. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Mon, 2/1/2021, 9:11AM EST
MACS wrote:

There is absolutely nothing "conservative" about parler or the far right... conservatives will be just fine through all of this...

But the far right is done growing... no one takes them seriously...
40. Author: KrazeehorseDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 9:39AM EST
Wasn't a large consideration in drafting the first amendment was to allow the press to be a check on the government?
41. Author: teedubbyaDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 10:51AM EST
That’s why attacks on the press by trump are particularly disgusting.... but not against the 1st amendment.

The government is not infringing on anyone’s 1st amendment rights in this instance. And I thought we were against interpretation of what they may have meant in today’s society. Isn’t that the court nominees litmus test.

What an effing entitlement crowd the extreme wacko right has become. Not to mention the victimhood of it all. Those dems sure are smart to keep tricking and pulling things over on the dumb republicans. They managed to overturn a Trump landslide by getting multiple independent states, many run by republicans, to fix the top of the ticket while not fixing the lower part of the ticket all while leaving no traces of evidence that anyone can produce. Brilliant! they should lead things if they really could pull that off.... which they didn't.
42. Author: teedubbyaDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 10:53AM EST
And how can it be censored? We are freely talking about it. Although cbid could shut the discussion down well within their rights. Also not an infringement of our 1st amendment rights.
43. Author: Gene363Date: Mon, 2/1/2021, 11:10AM EST
MACS wrote:

Welcome to the new world order.
44. Author: teedubbyaDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 11:12AM EST
LOL
45. Author: Gene363Date: Mon, 2/1/2021, 11:27AM EST
teedubbya wrote:
That’s why attacks on the press by trump are particularly disgusting.... but not against the 1st amendment.

The government is not infringing on anyone’s 1st amendment rights in this instance. And I thought we were against interpretation of what they may have meant in today’s society. Isn’t that the court nominees litmus test.

What an effing entitlement crowd the extreme wacko right has become. Not to mention the victimhood of it all. Those dems sure are smart to keep tricking and pulling things over on the dumb republicans. They managed to overturn a Trump landslide by getting multiple independent states, many run by republicans, to fix the top of the ticket while not fixing the lower part of the ticket all while leaving no traces of evidence that anyone can produce. Brilliant! they should lead things if they really could pull that off.... which they didn't.

Your apology to Fox news is appreciated.
46. Author: teedubbyaDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 12:23PM EST
Fox news entertainment has just as equal protection as any other source. I've never said differently. Even OANN as much of a fairy tale as it is has the same.

That doesn't mean you cant call them out for what they are (as well as MSNBC etc). This 1st amendment thingie sure is confusing.

Meh. Trump didn't violate the 1st amendment even though his gaslighting and lies are disgusting. He systematically implements lies through repetition to his mind numbed followers but in the end I don't think it's illegal. Inciting a riot or insurrection is but I'm not sure anyone will pursue criminal charges. On the political charges the jets will bail him out no matter what the sharks say.
47. Author: HockeyDadDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 12:46PM EST
Jets and Sharks. OK Maria.
48. Author: rfenstDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 6:09PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
And how can it be censored? We are freely talking about it. Although cbid could shut the discussion down well within their rights. Also not an infringement of our 1st amendment rights.

100% accurate.
49. Author: RobertHivelyDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 6:47PM EST
^^^^^

Would it still be accurate if companies like Google (Youtube) and Facebook take subsidies from taxpayers? I would guess Twitter does too but not sure.

Because initially I thought the same way as you and TW...
50. Author: rfenstDate: Mon, 2/1/2021, 7:05PM EST
RobertHively wrote:
^^^^^

Would it still be accurate if companies like Google (Youtube) and Facebook take subsidies from taxpayers? I would guess Twitter does too but not sure.

Because initially I thought the same way as you and TW...

Yes, unless they are a government entity.
It's simple. Government restricting speech is a first Amendment issue. Non-government restriction of speech is not a First Amend
FirstPrev12NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic