Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev26272829NextLast
Electric vehicles - what does the future hold?
1351. Author: jeeblingDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 4:14PM EST
We will have a hell of a problem with used batteries once the EVs dominate market share. Sure, they can be recycled once or used for storage projects but that is not an efficient use for the materials. It won’t become a problem until it is an environmental crisis. Then suddenly there will be a huge outcry over environmental concerns. That’s just a guess.
1352. Author: HockeyDadDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 4:30PM EST
jeebling wrote:
We will have a hell of a problem with used batteries once the EVs dominate market share. Sure, they can be recycled once or used for storage projects but that is not an efficient use for the materials. It won’t become a problem until it is an environmental crisis. Then suddenly there will be a huge outcry over environmental concerns. That’s just a guess.

Nothing that a couple of trillion dollars can’t fix.
1353. Author: jeeblingDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 5:27PM EST
How long does it take to print a couple trillion? They don’t even bother. It’s just a few keystrokes on the computer.
1354. Author: BrewhaDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 8:25PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
The AP put out an interesting article this AM. Accordingly it doesn’t bode well for the EV market.

Average US vehicle age hits record 12.6 years as high prices force people to keep them longer

https://apnews.com/article/average-vehicle-age-record-prices-high-5f8413179f077a34e7589230ebbca13d#

Since Americans seem to be holding on to their cars longer due to high new car prices those who do buy on average would probably shy away from paying 15-30% more for an automobile with the same amenities just so they can have an EV.

In addition the argument that one would save money over time with an EV is probably not something most car buyers are going to consider since the current average saving rate is around 3% of annual salary. If Americans aren’t actively saving for their future there is no reason to believe they are going to consider short term savings which may or may not be realistic.

Add to that a recent Marketwatch survey found 2/3’s of those surveyed feel like they are living paycheck to paycheck. So any savings from fuel would probably be offset by a higher monthly car payment as well as an increase in their electric bill related to charging their EV.

Meanwhile, maniacal scientists work to summon into existence the inordinate presence of the Used EV.

With the unholy mix of low maintenance, economical purchase price and a truly un-American operating cost, the peril to the future of all ICE vehicles becomes unspeakable….

Dim Sum anyone?
1355. Author: BrewhaDate: Thu, 5/23/2024, 8:37PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
For those who don’t want to buy an EV, there is always mass transportation options.

Special trains, late at night, with the promise of a hot shower at the end?
1356. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 5/24/2024, 10:36AM EST
Brewha wrote:
Meanwhile, maniacal scientists work to summon into existence the inordinate presence of the Used EV.

With the unholy mix of low maintenance, economical purchase price and a truly un-American operating cost, the peril to the future of all ICE vehicles becomes unspeakable….

Dim Sum anyone?

So if I understand correctly you think that we should chase the Chinese down an industry rabbit hole that every major car manufacturer in the world other than those owned by the Chinese are pulling back?

Maybe they know something the Chinese don’t know?
1357. Author: BrewhaDate: Fri, 5/24/2024, 1:57PM EST
No, that is not what I think. I think Americans should be smarter – which we can both agree is a stupid thing to say.

Of “Every major manufacturer”, second and third by volume are the Volkswagen Group and Hyundai/Kia. They are not “pulling back on EV’s” – far from it, particularly in the case of Kia. And BYD’s volume is half that of GM.

Now our legacy brands – Ford and GM – are struggling to make EV’s at a profit. And in GM’s case have offerings that are nothing short of self-destructive (who the hell wants a 10,000 pound electric Hummer for over $100,000???). And they are having trouble selling them – because their offerings are not compelling or a particularly good value.

Ford and GM may never be able to compete. Understand that they are “car assemblers” not makers – they make almost nothing. Put them against new tech companies that are not beholding to long time vendors and contracts, and they cannot just “change”. BYD and Tesla own virtual the whole process – even owning Lithium mines. And they are true technology companies. In the end, cost, value, and quality will own the market. I wish the American makers good luck – they truly need it.

Originally aircraft was “not ready for prime time”. But governments invested in them – to be used as weapons. In a similar way the Chinese are funding an arms race over marketing automobiles.

And we will ignore it.
1358. Author: Speyside2Date: Fri, 5/24/2024, 2:57PM EST
Ford and GM have to contend with unions, this is why they cannot make a quality EV at a profit. On the other hand Tesla does not have to deal with unions. Teslas' employees do not want a union, there have been numerous votes with the same result, no. I think Tesla is missing an opportunity, make a small well built, bare bones EV through a subsidiary corporation.
1359. Author: HockeyDadDate: Fri, 5/24/2024, 4:03PM EST
Ford and GM need to ditch their unions and import Uyghurs.
1360. Author: MACSDate: Fri, 5/24/2024, 7:18PM EST
I rode my electric vehicle to the mailbox earlier... had a cigar delivery I needed to get in the lock box.
1361. Author: AbrignacDate: Fri, 5/24/2024, 10:13PM EST
Brewha wrote:
No, that is not what I think. I think Americans should be smarter – which we can both agree is a stupid thing to say.

Of “Every major manufacturer”, second and third by volume are the Volkswagen Group and Hyundai/Kia. They are not “pulling back on EV’s” – far from it, particularly in the case of Kia. And BYD’s volume is half that of GM.

Now our legacy brands – Ford and GM – are struggling to make EV’s at a profit. And in GM’s case have offerings that are nothing short of self-destructive (who the hell wants a 10,000 pound electric Hummer for over $100,000???). And they are having trouble selling them – because their offerings are not compelling or a particularly good value.

Ford and GM may never be able to compete. Understand that they are “car assemblers” not makers – they make almost nothing. Put them against new tech companies that are not beholding to long time vendors and contracts, and they cannot just “change”. BYD and Tesla own virtual the whole process – even owning Lithium mines. And they are true technology companies. In the end, cost, value, and quality will own the market. I wish the American makers good luck – they truly need it.

Originally aircraft was “not ready for prime time”. But governments invested in them – to be used as weapons. In a similar way the Chinese are funding an arms race over marketing automobiles.

And we will ignore it.

https://www.thestreet.com/electric-vehicles/volkswagen-indefinitely-delays-launch-key-ev

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/mercedes-benz-will-no-longer-go-all-electric-1235521320/

Oops…. Who would have thought….
1362. Author: rfenstDate: Mon, 5/27/2024, 10:03AM EST
Another Roadblock to the EV Transition: Personal Politics
As automakers look to push their electric vehicles, some consumers are resisting for political reasons

WSJ
On paper, Robert Olson is a prime candidate to buy an electric vehicle.

The retired Arizona engineer loves cars, has owned hybrid vehicles and has the means to pay the premium for an EV. And he owns two gas-powered cars, including a Porsche, that he could use for longer road trips.

But Olson is turned off by electric cars. He thinks their potential to help the climate is overstated, and he resents the Biden administration’s pro-EV policies.

“It is being pushed down our throats,” said Olson, who says he is a Republican.

Automakers are fixated on easing the practical concerns around electric-vehicle ownership, primarily high prices and charging hassles. But in the industry’s quest to persuade more Americans to consider EVs, a swath of the buying public could prove tough to convince: those opposed to EVs for political or ideological reasons.

In a recent Morning Consult poll of about 2,200 American adults conducted for The Wall Street Journal, about four in 10 said they had an unfavorable view of EVs. Of those who are opposed to them, 38% said their political views were a factor. Even more of those with unfavorable views—63%—cited China’s dominance of the EV supply chain as a reason.

As for party affiliation, 31% of people who identified themselves as conservative said they had a favorable view of EVs, compared with 66% of liberals.

Green cars long ago became swept up in the culture wars. In the early 2000s, many conservative commentators maligned Toyota’s Prius hybrid, which became a hit with liberals and Hollywood celebrities.

In 2012, then-Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich criticized General Motors’ Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid for not being able to fit a gun rack. During a congressional hearing around that time, then GM CEO Dan Akerson told lawmakers: “We did not engineer the Volt to be a political punching bag.”

In the run-up to the November election, some Republican candidates have criticized Biden for trying to force EV sales. Democrats, meanwhile, have touted the tens of billions of dollars in federal funding for battery factories and other EV projects.

Automakers not only have to win over conservative car buyers. Some of their own dealers have a dim view of battery-powered cars due to ideological reasons. Dealer David Ferraez said he thinks the media and government espouse an inflated view of the risks of carbon emissions to push more EVs into the market.

Nonetheless, Ferraez, who sells GM’s Buick, GMC and Chevrolet brands in New Jersey, has spent more than $300,000 to install electric-car chargers at his stores.

“I do want to sell what the customer wants,” he said.

Giving buyers a choice
At Kia, Center said the brand has emphasized an array of options—straight gas-engine models, hybrids, plug-in hybrids and full electrics—to make clear it isn’t trying to force anyone into an electric vehicle. But Kia is also heavily advertising its EVs.

“We’re talking to the broader part of the market that has an open mind about EVs, rather than trying to convince the part that has their heels dug in,” he said.

John Bozzella, president of the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, which represents most major car companies, said the group has stressed to regulators that consumers should have choices even as emissions rules are tightened.

The group lobbied the Biden administration to include plug-in hybrid models, which travel in electric mode for some distance before a gas engine kicks on, in its calculation of the Environmental Protection Agency’s new emissions standards.

“Political persuasion is a pretty good indicator of a willingness to purchase an EV right now,” Bozzella said. “I don’t think that is a forever situation.”

South Florida car dealer Bill Wallace has noticed that more customers have been expressing a sour view of EVs over the past year.

His company sells several brands that have relatively popular electric models, including Ford, Hyundai, Kia and Cadillac, and EVs account for about 5% of his total sales. But he estimates about one-third of the customers he speaks with about EVs express adamant opposition.

“They are angry,” Wallace said. “They feel like it’s the government trying to control their lives.”

Wallace said he broached the subject during a conversation with GM CEO Mary Barra at a private luncheon in Florida late last year. GM, more than many other car companies, has bet its future on EVs and is marketing them aggressively.

“I said, ‘Mary, you have to understand the red-state mentality. These people want no part of it,’” he said.

1363. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Mon, 5/27/2024, 10:25AM EST
Abrignac wrote:
https://www.thestreet.com/electric-vehicles/volkswagen-indefinitely-delays-launch-key-ev

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/mercedes-benz-will-no-longer-go-all-electric-1235521320/

Posted links with the same sentiment weeks ago.

He doesn't or can't read. Everyone here knows he DGAF and is dumber than a bag of hammers. Best just to let him finish and laugh when he comes up for air!
1364. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Mon, 5/27/2024, 10:26AM EST
rfenst wrote:
As automakers look to push their electric vehicles, some consumers are resisting for political reasons

WSJ
On paper, Robert Olson is a prime candidate to buy an electric vehicle.

The retired Arizona engineer loves cars, has owned hybrid vehicles and has the means to pay the premium for an EV. And he owns two gas-powered cars, including a Porsche, that he could use for longer road trips.

But Olson is turned off by electric cars. He thinks their potential to help the climate is overstated, and he resents the Biden administration’s pro-EV policies.

“It is being pushed down our throats,” said Olson, who says he is a Republican.

Automakers are fixated on easing the practical concerns around electric-vehicle ownership, primarily high prices and charging hassles. But in the industry’s quest to persuade more Americans to consider EVs, a swath of the buying public could prove tough to convince: those opposed to EVs for political or ideological reasons.

In a recent Morning Consult poll of about 2,200 American adults conducted for The Wall Street Journal, about four in 10 said they had an unfavorable view of EVs. Of those who are opposed to them, 38% said their political views were a factor. Even more of those with unfavorable views—63%—cited China’s dominance of the EV supply chain as a reason.

As for party affiliation, 31% of people who identified themselves as conservative said they had a favorable view of EVs, compared with 66% of liberals.

Green cars long ago became swept up in the culture wars. In the early 2000s, many conservative commentators maligned Toyota’s Prius hybrid, which became a hit with liberals and Hollywood celebrities.

In 2012, then-Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich criticized General Motors’ Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid for not being able to fit a gun rack. During a congressional hearing around that time, then GM CEO Dan Akerson told lawmakers: “We did not engineer the Volt to be a political punching bag.”

In the run-up to the November election, some Republican candidates have criticized Biden for trying to force EV sales. Democrats, meanwhile, have touted the tens of billions of dollars in federal funding for battery factories and other EV projects.

Automakers not only have to win over conservative car buyers. Some of their own dealers have a dim view of battery-powered cars due to ideological reasons. Dealer David Ferraez said he thinks the media and government espouse an inflated view of the risks of carbon emissions to push more EVs into the market.

Nonetheless, Ferraez, who sells GM’s Buick, GMC and Chevrolet brands in New Jersey, has spent more than $300,000 to install electric-car chargers at his stores.

“I do want to sell what the customer wants,” he said.

Giving buyers a choice
At Kia, Center said the brand has emphasized an array of options—straight gas-engine models, hybrids, plug-in hybrids and full electrics—to make clear it isn’t trying to force anyone into an electric vehicle. But Kia is also heavily advertising its EVs.

“We’re talking to the broader part of the market that has an open mind about EVs, rather than trying to convince the part that has their heels dug in,” he said.

John Bozzella, president of the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, which represents most major car companies, said the group has stressed to regulators that consumers should have choices even as emissions rules are tightened.

The group lobbied the Biden administration to include plug-in hybrid models, which travel in electric mode for some distance before a gas engine kicks on, in its calculation of the Environmental Protection Agency’s new emissions standards.

“Political persuasion is a pretty good indicator of a willingness to purchase an EV right now,” Bozzella said. “I don’t think that is a forever situation.”

South Florida car dealer Bill Wallace has noticed that more customers have been expressing a sour view of EVs over the past year.

His company sells several brands that have relatively popular electric models, including Ford, Hyundai, Kia and Cadillac, and EVs account for about 5% of his total sales. But he estimates about one-third of the customers he speaks with about EVs express adamant opposition.

“They are angry,” Wallace said. “They feel like it’s the government trying to control their lives.”

Wallace said he broached the subject during a conversation with GM CEO Mary Barra at a private luncheon in Florida late last year. GM, more than many other car companies, has bet its future on EVs and is marketing them aggressively.

“I said, ‘Mary, you have to understand the red-state mentality. These people want no part of it,’” he said.

When you have an administration propping up an entire sector with tax incentives and rebates to build, oh lets just say "widgets"...it becomes political.

You're not going to change my mind.
1365. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 10:11AM EST
Abrignac wrote:

When I read that any legacy car maker is is going 100% electric - ever - much less my some future year - I don't really believe it.

They all will keep making ICE cars as long as people buy them. Why would they not?
Sure - it may sound appealing to some to hear that a car maker is "committed to going green", but the truth is that they are committed to making a buck.

And I believe that EV adoption will continue to slow. And that legacy makers will have more trouble competing - some will fail.

Remember that this a smart person's game.
1366. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 11:03AM EST
rfenst wrote:

One of the things that is quite clear from this thread alone is how little the facts get in the way of people's opinions.
Many here see EVs as a purely political issue, some feel threatened that their "rights" will be damaged by EVs, and others condemn the technology purely based on the hearsay and options of others.

And if you try to assess EVs on a purely technical and dispasionit basis - as I try to - then you are called an idiot. And a liar.

It's not that people don't understand, it is that they don't want to understand.

I would not have guessed it, but EVs are a political football - at least to most people.
1367. Author: rfenstDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 11:12AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
When you have an administration propping up an entire sector with tax incentives and rebates to build, oh lets just say "widgets"...it becomes political.

You're not going to change my mind.

Of course it is political. Americans can't help themselves.
There is often a political component of cars.
My grandparents, for example, wouldn't even consider buying Ford because Henry Ford was an avowed anti-semite.
Used to be the same with Jews and Mercedes and BMW.
When I was a kid, buying a Mercedes by a Detroit Jew was heavily looked down upon.
Again, pure politics...
1368. Author: AbrignacDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 11:19AM EST
Brewha wrote:
One of the things that is quite clear from this thread alone is how little the facts get in the way of people's opinions.
Many here see EVs as a purely political issue, some feel threatened that their "rights" will be damaged by EVs, and others condemn the technology purely based on the hearsay and options of others.

And if you try to assess EVs on a purely technical and dispasionit basis - as I try to - then you are called an idiot. And a liar.

It's not that people don't understand, it is that they don't want to understand.

I would not have guessed it, but EVs are a political football - at least to most people.

Sorry but you don’t seem to understand.

First and foremost is the issue of batteries which are the fuel cells. The raw materials required to manufacture them as well as the actual factories that produce them is largely controlled by our most powerful political enemy, China. To risk the future of our economy on whether or not China will supply batteries to autos sold in the US in the future is poor policy. To avoid that problem battery manufacturing plants need to be built here that can supply our needs. Since manufacturers won’t do that because they are unsure of the future a huge subsidy by our government would be required.

Then there is the problem of charging stations. The Biden administration has pledged to build 800 or more by 2030. Yet, only have been built since the announcement of those plans a couple years ago. This of course also requires a huge subsidy.

At the moment we are seriously over our head in debt as a nation. In fact, interest payments out pace defense spending. Social Security is projected to be cut in the near future because benefits exceed revenue. So for the government to spend trillions of dollars for these subsidies means one thing. Increased national debt leading to even higher interest payments that become a larger percentage of annual spending.

So one has to wonder how we are going to pay for all the subsidies necessary to compete with China in the EV market.
1369. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 11:57AM EST
Abrignac wrote:

So one has to wonder how we are going to pay for all the subsidies necessary to compete with China in the EV market.

I know this one….raise taxes!!!
1370. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 11:59AM EST
Brewha wrote:

Sometimes EVs are just a little ghey. Need to factor that in also.
1371. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 12:20PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Sometimes EVs are just a little ghey.

But not yours - right?
1372. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 12:34PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
Sorry but you don’t seem to understand.

First and foremost is the issue of batteries which are the fuel cells. The raw materials required to manufacture them as well as the actual factories that produce them is largely controlled by our most powerful political enemy, China. To risk the future of our economy on whether or not China will supply batteries to autos sold in the US in the future is poor policy. To avoid that problem battery manufacturing plants need to be built here that can supply our needs. Since manufacturers won’t do that because they are unsure of the future a huge subsidy by our government would be required.

Then there is the problem of charging stations. The Biden administration has pledged to build 800 or more by 2030. Yet, only have been built since the announcement of those plans a couple years ago. This of course also requires a huge subsidy.

At the moment we are seriously over our head in debt as a nation. In fact, interest payments out pace defense spending. Social Security is projected to be cut in the near future because benefits exceed revenue. So for the government to spend trillions of dollars for these subsidies means one thing. Increased national debt leading to even higher interest payments that become a larger percentage of annual spending.

So we agree there is a political aspect to EVs. As I suppose there is to Oil and Gas production as well.

But none of those things we a factor in me buying one. But many who should buy one will pass on them because of the political noise.

Agreed that China in the market is a point of concern. So what is the correct political answer?
Encourage and subsidise development, manufacture and adoption?
Sell people on the idea that EVs are bad and hope they just go away?
Do nothing and see if China really does kick our azz?

Here in Texas they imposed a $200 year tax on EVs. I just paid it. So they went with option #2 above.
Texas is an oil and gas state - "and we don't need no Lefty EVs here".
- yippee ki-yay
1373. Author: HockeyDadDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 12:36PM EST
Brewha wrote:
But not yours - right?

Mine is cool. It’s lifted with oversized tires.
1374. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 12:44PM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
Mine is cool. It’s lifted with oversized tires.

Is it a good manly color?
It's not like turquoise or anything right?
1375. Author: jeeblingDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 1:48PM EST
The subsidies to oil and gas make it a slam dunk for a political football IMO, add to that the amount spent on lobbying efforts. Ditto for renewable energy but they also have the hilarious tag of “green energy” which is even funnier than “clean coal”.
1376. Author: AbrignacDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 3:50PM EST
Brewha wrote:
So we agree there is a political aspect to EVs. As I suppose there is to Oil and Gas production as well.

But none of those things we a factor in me buying one. But many who should buy one will pass on them because of the political noise.

Agreed that China in the market is a point of concern. So what is the correct political answer?
Encourage and subsidise development, manufacture and adoption?
Sell people on the idea that EVs are bad and hope they just go away?
Do nothing and see if China really does kick our azz?

Here in Texas they imposed a $200 year tax on EVs. I just paid it. So they went with option #2 above.
Texas is an oil and gas state - "and we don't need no Lefty EVs here".
- yippee ki-yay

By what criteria do we determine who is someone that SHOULD buy an EV?

We should add additional subsidies to a Federal Budget that is already $2-3T in the red?

1377. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 5:33PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
By what criteria do we determine who is someone that SHOULD buy an EV?

"We" don't. People do.
And they should make good choices based on good information - rather than political opinions that something is too left, or too right.

When I was in my thirties I should have bought a Corvette.
A car that cost too much, uses to much gas, and cannot haul shlt. But perfect for me. So I did. Zero regrets.

Today, I wanted something faster than my Corvette. Four doors, cheap on gas, zero maintenance. no more trips to the gas station where one might just get shot. So, I should have bought a Model 3. Two years, zero regrets.

Abrignac wrote:

We should add additional subsidies to a Federal Budget that is already $2-3T in the red?

No - I asked you first. What is the correct political answer?
1378. Author: AbrignacDate: Tue, 5/28/2024, 7:09PM EST
Brewha wrote:
"We" don't. People do.
And they should make good choices based on good information - rather than political opinions that something is too left, or too right.

When I was in my thirties I should have bought a Corvette.
A car that cost too much, uses to much gas, and cannot haul shlt. But perfect for me. So I did. Zero regrets.

Today, I wanted something faster than my Corvette. Four doors, cheap on gas, zero maintenance. no more trips to the gas station where one might just get shot. So, I should have bought a Model 3. Two years, zero regrets.

No - I asked you first. What is the correct political answer?

You said people who should buy one. what do you mean by that? Who are these people you refer to and why should they buy one.

For the record I asked you that before you asked what is the correct political answer.
1379. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 6:42AM EST
People should buy EVs if they believe the government and the people that fly around in private jets that tell them they should buy an EV.
1380. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 7:38AM EST
Abrignac wrote:
You said people who should buy one. what do you mean by that? Who are these people you refer to and why should they buy one.

For the record I asked you that before you asked what is the correct political answer.

Ok - I see now.
"People who should buy one" summons up images of an oppressive government controlling people lives - my bad.

While vehicle purchase are more emotion than logic, for each person the is a type of vehicle that best suits their needs.
Own a boat? get a truck.
Solo city commuter? Get a Econo-box.
In a band? buy a van. (huh - that rhymes).

I should buy an EV:
Solo commute to the office - less that 100 miles/day - do not like to drive 700 miles without a pizz brake.
Own a home and can charge there - saves megabucks on fuel costs - gas stations stops suck.
Tired of maintenance; oil, radiator, tune up, etc.
Like to go fast. Faster than most - really f*ckin fast.

And in past post I have outlined who should not buy an EV.
1381. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 7:40AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
People should buy EVs if they believe the government and the people that fly around in private jets that tell them they should buy an EV.

Is that why you bought one?
1382. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 7:45AM EST
Brewha wrote:
Is that why you bought one?

I bought mine because I understand the engineering, I don’t miss gas stations and oil changes, the range is fine for my needs, my community is very EV friendly, and it’s just kinda fun to zip around in.
1383. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 8:30AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:
I bought mine because I understand the engineering, I don’t miss gas stations and oil changes, the range is fine for my needs, my community is very EV friendly, and it’s just kinda fun to zip around in.

And you're a rebel - thumbing your nose at the whole ICE crowd?
(no - I did NOT say ICE hole crowd)
1384. Author: AbrignacDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 10:21AM EST
Brewha wrote:
Ok - I see now.
"People who should buy one" summons up images of an oppressive government controlling people lives - my bad.

Your words, not mine. I just wanted to know what criteria you used to determine who should own an EV.

While vehicle purchase are more emotion than logic, for each person the is a type of vehicle that best suits their needs.
Own a boat? get a truck.

I should buy an EV:
Solo commute to the office - less that 100 miles/day - do not like to drive 700 miles without a pizz brake.
Own a home and can charge there - saves megabucks on fuel costs - gas stations stops suck.

On the other hand I think people should spend their money based on what’s important to them. If they want an EV fine. If they don’t, that’s fine as well.

In addition, considering the fact that our government is spending way more money than it takes in as well as having a huge debt service I don’t think we as a nation should be subsidizing a new industry to the tune of trillions of dollars.
1385. Author: rfenstDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 10:41AM EST
Brewha wrote:
Here in Texas they imposed a $200 year tax on EVs. I just paid it.
- yippee ki-yay

Was it a tax to make-up for lost rode-use gasoline tax that typically goes to road improvement?
1386. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 11:01AM EST
rfenst wrote:
Was it a tax to make-up for lost rode-use gasoline tax that typically goes to road improvement?

Yes, in California it was only $100. Texas is putting the spurs to Brewha because he wasn’t paying his fair share. The west coast states are looking at a fee per mile system where the government would track your car’s movements.
1387. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 11:24AM EST
The wife just took the EV down to Publix to pick up some subs. She coulda took the ICE but wanted to go zip around.
1388. Author: jeeblingDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 1:11PM EST
If I could justify the expense of owning a second vehicle would get a zipper for around town. I’m just a po’ boy.
1389. Author: jeeblingDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 2:39PM EST
Today BENZINGA writes:

“ Lithium and Rare Earths: Balancing Act

The demand for lithium and rare earths is projected to decline due to lower battery electric vehicle (BEV) sales. BEVs traditionally contain a higher content of these materials.

While HEVs and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) are set to increase, their cumulative demand for lithium and rare earths won’t fully offset the drop from BEVs.”

Just throwing this out there for general FYI for the curious minded brothers.
1390. Author: AbrignacDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 4:08PM EST
Brewha wrote:
Ok - I see now.

Own a boat? get a truck.

I should buy an EV:

But, WHY should they buy an EV?
1391. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 4:39PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
On the other hand I think people should spend their money based on what’s important to them. If they want an EV fine. If they don’t, that’s fine as well.

In addition, considering the fact that our government is spending way more money than it takes in as well as having a huge debt service I don’t think we as a nation should be subsidizing a new industry to the tune of trillions of dollars.

The 2024 Federal budget is $6.5 trillion. How many of those trillions go to EV subsidies?

Thanks HD!
1392. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 4:49PM EST
rfenst wrote:

It is a tax on smugness - cause nobody like a smartass - especially if they drive an EV.
(take note HD)

And fwiw, the bill reads:

WINDSHIELD STICKER - $50.75
REG FEE-DPS - $1.00
CNTY ROAD BRIDGE ADD-ON FEE - $10.00
CHILD SAFETY FUND - $1.50
ELECTRICAL VEHICLE FEE - $200.00
INSPECTION FEE-1YR - $7.50
PROCESSING AND HANDLING FEE - $4.75

It is hard to read as the print is so small, but at the bottom it appears to read:
Take that, you tree huggin' Lefty!
1393. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 4:57PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
But, WHY should they buy an EV?

Oh,

Because people should buy their best option - for them - satisfaction included in that deal.*

* there are many here in texas that share my demographic, but would not be caught dead in anything other than a new F-150 Lariat - with all the options and a rifle rack.

1394. Author: AbrignacDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 5:02PM EST
Brewha wrote:
The 2024 Federal budget is $6.5 trillion. How many of those trillions go to EV subsidies?

Thanks HD!

I never said nor implied any amount of the 2024 would be used to subsidize the EV industry. I did say Trillions, but I never specified a time period. In an early thread you also stated the EV industry should be subsidized.

But back to the question that you chose not to answer. Why should someone buy an EV?

1395. Author: HockeyDadDate: Wed, 5/29/2024, 7:17PM EST
Brewha wrote:

Thanks HD!

No prob!
1396. Author: BrewhaDate: Thu, 5/30/2024, 1:52PM EST
Abrignac wrote:

But back to the question that you chose not to answer. Why should someone buy an EV?

See #1393

Brewha wrote:

Oh,

Because people should buy their best option - for them - satisfaction included in that deal.*

* there are many here in texas that share my demographic, but would not be caught dead in anything other than a new F-150 Lariat - with all the options and a rifle rack.
1397. Author: rfenstDate: Fri, 6/7/2024, 6:12PM EST
Opinion: How Electric Vehicles Can Make Everyone Happy
Ending subsidies, mandates and tariffs would expand use of EVs while letting people continue driving the cars they want.

WSJ

One of the first things you learn about in an economics course is the concept of trade-offs: You can’t have everything you want. This is relevant in the debate about electric vehicles. U.S. auto workers want to keep their jobs. Most U.S. drivers still prefer cars with internal combustion engines. Environmentalists want Americans to buy EVs. And free traders want, well, free trade. Something’s got to give.

Or does it? There’s a path that would enable each party to achieve many of its objectives. First, end mandates and subsidies for EVs. Second, eliminate President Biden’s 100% tariff on EVs from China and allow duty-free imports. Free trade would give lower- and middle-income Americans the chance to buy relatively cheap imported EVs. More people driving EVs would make environmentalists happy. And ending mandates and subsidies would allow U.S. automakers to do what they do best: make cars with internal combustion engines. That in turn would keep U.S. auto workers employed and able to continue using their specific skills.

If we stick to our current policy path, none of these goals is attainable. For one, environmentalists can’t achieve their aims. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 56% of new cars would need to be EVs by 2032 to meet the agency’s emissions goals. Even with subsidies and California-style mandates, meeting that benchmark is unrealistic. According to the Energy Department, EVs and hybrids combined made up only 9.1% of all light-duty vehicles sold last year. According to the Energy Information Administration, only 1.2% of light-duty vehicles on the road in 2022 were EVs or plug-in hybrids.

There are three reasons it’s unrealistic to expect more than half of new cars sold to be EVs. First, EVs are expensive. A new EV sold in the U.S. is priced, on average, at just over $50,000, more than most drivers are willing or able to pay. Second, people are rightly worried about driving an EV a long distance and being able to reach a charging station that recharges the car quickly. Third, when temperatures fall below freezing—which happens often in much of the U.S.—it takes significantly longer to charge an EV.

It’s unlikely that within the next 10 years EVs will make up more than 25% of all cars sold annually. But we could likely come much closer to hitting the 25% mark in a few years, with no subsidies or mandates, simply by pursuing free trade, which would lower the first of the three barriers: cost. BYD, a Chinese manufacturer, offers some EV models that cost less than $20,000—significantly cheaper than U.S.-made EVs.

If the U.S. makes EVs more accessible and affordable by welcoming duty-free imports, environmentalists will be closer to achieving their goal of getting more EVs on the road, consumers who want to buy EVs will be able to do so more easily, and automakers can focus on making cars with internal combustion engines, which would support auto workers’ jobs.

So let’s get rid of mandates, subsidies and tariffs. There’s no perfect trade-off, but some are better than others.

Mr. Henderson is a research fellow with Stanford University’s Hoover Institution. He was senior economist for energy with President Reagan’s Council of Economic Advisers.
1398. Author: jeeblingDate: Fri, 6/7/2024, 11:12PM EST
If the political opponents can stomach allowing each other to score a win this might be the best way to break out of a rut we seem to be stuck in. It looks like we are in the cut off your nose to spite your face age of economics here in America.
1399. Author: Speyside2Date: Sat, 6/8/2024, 8:18AM EST
Make a basic EV with no power anything other than power steering. Make a small, medium, large, a minivan, a SUV, and a pickup. One color only, no options. A much lighter vehicle will travel farther. This would reduce the cost by over 50% in my opinion. Insted of a stereo an I pod to download lists into. Of course air conditioning, automatic transmission, saftey, and such. Use safe materials that cut as much expense as possible. Go to a fully automated AI plant with facility technicians for repair/trouble shooting. No chrome, just single color, no fancy wheels. Go vertical supply chain so there are no additional production costs due to proffet. Online sales only, set price no negotiations, no trade in, fob pick up. As much as possible in supply chain use ship and railroad for transportation. Ideally no over road hauling at all. IMHO this would allow building of the world's least expensive EV'S. Many people want transportation to get from a to b. As far as charging when not at home set up 2 phase 220V, not as quick as the best system, fast none the less. Set the chargers to charge to 80%, no electronics on the vehicle to do this. Make it so simple a shade tree mechanic can make repairs with a Chiltons like manual provided with the vehicle. No up charges or hidden charges. A 90 day warranty. 1 offered extended warranty. No financing offered. Perhaps a bit more, this is just off the top of my head.
1400. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 6/8/2024, 9:14AM EST
jeebling wrote:
If the political opponents can stomach allowing each other to score a win this might be the best way to break out of a rut we seem to be stuck in. It looks like we are in the cut off your nose to spite your face age of economics here in America.

I just found it an interesting economics topic for both sides of the discussion here?
FirstPrev26272829NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic