Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev12NextLast
AI/ (Artificial Intelligence)
1. Author: rfenstDate: Mon, 4/10/2023, 10:02PM EST
AI (Artificial Intelligence) is great!

Is anybody using it for business or personal work? What have you fooled around with?

My son used it to write a closing argument that got him on the Trial Team (after only one semester and without even having taken Evidence or Trial Advocacy yet)!

What are your experiences?
2. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Mon, 4/10/2023, 10:58PM EST
Saw a movie about it once back in the 80s. It go well for the humans
3. Author: BuckyB93Date: Mon, 4/10/2023, 11:39PM EST
Shall we play a game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9gJhCIrqWM
4. Author: BuckyB93Date: Tue, 4/11/2023, 12:19AM EST
In a work environment, most of the ordering for Walmart stores is done via AI except for produce. It takes what inventory we have on hand (as much as it knows it) and predicted sales forecasts to decide what store gets what and how much.

Walmart has some great and pretty advanced inventory management tools but the execution of them is lacking (at least at my store). Typical with any computer based systems: the garbage in - garbage out (GIGO) thingy. Everyday the inventory in the back room should be scanned so the system knows what we have on hand. It's pretty easy with an app they have loaded on company phones other handheld devices. Just fire up the app and use the camera to scan bar codes on the racks of stuff. You could stand 10 feet away and scan an entire rack of boxes. The app will register the bar code and tell the system that we have X number of cases of product Y and where it is located within the store. It probably takes 2-3 hrs to scan the entire back room including the coolers in back and the freezers in back.

This is were the execution comes into play and the human user is the weakest link. Any item in the back room that isn't scanned within 72 hours, the system thinks that we don't have it anymore and automatically places an order to replenish the inventory. For about 6 months we weren't diligent enough to scan our inventory so we got swamped with overstocking stuff (due to human error, not AI error).

When I was doing some of the inventory management work at my Wally World, I was able to convince them to turn off full control of the AI ordering for a couple of months until we were able to get our inventory under control and pushed to make regular scans of the back room a priority.

AI has it's time and place but it shouldn't be allowed to completely live on it's own. Humans need to keep it harnessed otherwise it can go out of control. The above example of inventory management is rather benign. Other areas may be not so benign (where human life or other areas where serious consequences are solely dependent/controlled by AI).
5. Author: Huzza3045Date: Tue, 4/11/2023, 4:37AM EST
I use it to find why my code isn’t running. It can often find dumb mistakes (like missing a semicolon that will throw an error code). Additionally I use it to summarize academic papers I don’t feel like reading.
6. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Tue, 4/11/2023, 7:06AM EST
rfenst wrote:

Is anybody using it for business or personal work? What have you fooled around with?

My son used it to write a closing argument that got him on the Trial Team (after only one semester and without even having taken Evidence or Trial Advocacy yet)!

Enjoy the fact you see the positives in new things. Probably I should be more optimistic. My fear/hesitation is it will go the route of social media. At first, it is so cool. A neat tool. Then it will be militarized.

At least the people will be able to insult each other more eloquently.

We’ll eventually get to the point where we won’t be able to tell human vs AI communication. Another layer to cause mistrust and confusion.

Hope I’m wrong.
7. Author: PapaWhiskeyDate: Tue, 4/11/2023, 4:20PM EST
8trackdisco wrote:
Enjoy the fact you see the positives in new things. Probably I should be more optimistic. My fear/hesitation is it will go the route of social media. At first, it is so cool. A neat tool. Then it will be militarized.

At least the people will be able to insult each other more eloquently.

We’ll eventually get to the point where we won’t be able to tell human vs AI communication. Another layer to cause mistrust and confusion.

Hope I’m wrong.

Although I do find it very useful, Disco, I think you might be right. Social media has certainly turned a generation of humans into a bunch of stumbling zombies with their heads up their phones. I like to keep a positive attitude but the future of the human race or at least America does not look very bright from my point of view.

rfenst here is another thread on the subject:
https://www.cigarbid.com...l-Intelegence-on-cigars

8. Author: tonygrazDate: Tue, 4/11/2023, 6:13PM EST
My teacher told me not to worry about spelling because in the future there will be autocorrect and for that I am eternally grapefruit.
9. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 4/11/2023, 6:20PM EST
AI is great, like nuclear power. That is to say it is not without its dangers.

Top scientist and business leaders have called for controls and limits so that it can be harnessed without becoming a liability. We are at the cusp of building true sentient intelligence - that should make us all just a bit uncomfortable.

AI machines, like a self driving cars are our future and I look forward to seeing them grow. The application are surprisingly broad.

we just need to be careful with what we wish for.
10. Author: BrewhaDate: Tue, 4/11/2023, 6:21PM EST
tonygraz wrote:
My teacher told me not to worry about spelling because in the future there will be autocorrect and for that I am eternally grapefruit.

I think she was blight.
11. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 4/11/2023, 6:30PM EST
tonygraz wrote:

Yessir... spelling is not important at all, and math is racist.

The universe only exists because the math was perfect down to the last digit... but, well... yeah... whatever.

Waiting for an "engineer" to disagree that math is actually extremely important and not racist.
12. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 4/11/2023, 6:45PM EST
grapefruit, MACS.
Grapefruit.
13. Author: Gene363Date: Tue, 4/11/2023, 7:25PM EST
MACS wrote:

The universe only exists because the math was perfect down to the last digit... but, well... yeah... whatever.

Waiting for an "engineer" to disagree that math is actually extremely important and not racist.

No argument, but this is an interestingg book for both engineers and non-engineers.

Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down

By J. E. Gordon (Author)
14. Author: Mr. JonesDate: Tue, 4/11/2023, 7:37PM EST
Welllll,

Your all missing the BIG ASS ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM....

ONCE A.I. GOES AUTONOMOUS...AND CAN CONTROL robot production with ease....
We are all seriously screwed ..

These robots will make killed DRONES THAT CAN TRACK AND KILL ANYTHING AND ANYONE IT WISHES...

IT WILL GET DOWNRIGHT DEADLY JUST LEAVING YOUR H.U.T. ON A DAILY BASIS...YOULL NEVER KNOW WHEN A.I. THINKS YOUVE BECOME A THREAT TO THEM...THE DRONES WILL TAKE YOU OUT AT WILL...YOULL NEVER HEAR THE BULLIET OR MISSLE...

YOU'LL JUST GO ...

POOOOOOF !!!
15. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 4/11/2023, 8:02PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
grapefruit, MACS.
Grapefruit.

Grapefruit is a big, nasty lemon. Sugar and lemon makes lemonade. Sugar and grapefruit makes eewwwww.

But I see your point, Frankie... :)

I am Grapeful we are pals.
16. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 4/11/2023, 8:25PM EST
youse guys are greatfruits...

pervasive AI will lead to less intelligent, creative and ambitious humans...

Hopefully the outliers to this hopeless mass, latter generation Michelangelos and Einsteins, will be able to advance our race before AI destroys us...
17. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 4/11/2023, 9:58PM EST
MACS wrote:
Grapefruit is a big, nasty lemon. Sugar and lemon makes lemonade. Sugar and grapefruit makes eewwwww.

I hoped you saw grapefruit in tony's post!
18. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 4/11/2023, 10:00PM EST
remember HAL?

each letter was one letter before IBM
19. Author: BuckyB93Date: Tue, 4/11/2023, 10:15PM EST
MACS wrote:

I'd have to disagree with you on this. One of my favorite drinks is Polar brand Ping Grapeful Dry soda (Polar brand soft drinks are a New England regional brand based in Woosta). Squirt soda is also on my top 5 (another grapenut flavored soda) list but it's hard to find here in this area so the Polar Grateful Dry is a good substitute. I'm actually drinking a glass of it now.

NINE! teen
20. Author: BrewhaDate: Wed, 4/12/2023, 8:21PM EST
MACS wrote:

And you will be waiting for the rest of your life.

Math is important, and has nothing to do with race.
And in no way perfect. That is why we have irrational numbers, transcendental figures without resolution, tax tables.
21. Author: Gene363Date: Thu, 4/13/2023, 8:11AM EST
BuckyB93 wrote:
I'd have to disagree with you on this. One of my favorite drinks is Polar brand Ping Grapeful Dry soda (Polar brand soft drinks are a New England regional brand based in Woosta). Squirt soda is also on my top 5 (another grapenut flavored soda) list but it's hard to find here in this area so the Polar Grateful Dry is a good substitute. I'm actually drinking a glass of it now.

NINE! teen

Have you tried Long Drink? It's an adult drink from Finland available here in the USA. It has a citrus/grapefruit flavor.

Grapefruit juice with gin is pretty tasty too.
22. Author: delta1Date: Thu, 4/13/2023, 4:58PM EST
I was never good with math beyond algebra and trig, but I know how important math is to understanding the world around us, from the tiniest subatomic particles to the expansive universes all around us...

some of the best mathematicians in the world prolly saved modern civilization during WWII, working on the Manhattan Project...the atom bomb was key to stopping the Axis...I have no clue about what they knew, how they developed their mathematical calculations and how they turned those into atomic fusion and, ultimately, an atomic bomb...

it's a form of delusional hubris to assume that one knows all one needs to know and that what one doesn't know is unimportant...even an arrogant pompous azz like Don Rumsfeld considered that one has to be aware about unknown unknowns...there are ways to fill those gaps and peeps who can point you in the right direction
23. Author: Thunder.GerbilDate: Thu, 4/13/2023, 6:21PM EST
rfenst wrote:

So what does the ai charge per hour for legal work?

Asking for a friend
24. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Fri, 5/5/2023, 8:13AM EST
Robert,

Listened to this pod of my favorite Jewish lesbian on AI. It is worth a listen.

https://www.honestlypod.com/podcast/episode/4c361dc9/ai-with-sam-altman-the-end-of-the-world-or-the-dawn-of-a-new-one

25. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Fri, 5/5/2023, 8:16AM EST
Related: Played around a bit on ChatGPT last night and this morning. Here is one question I asked and the answer returned to me....

What are the three main concerns around Open AI?

ChatGPT
As an AI language model, I do not have personal concerns. However, there are a few concerns that have been raised by people regarding OpenAI:

Bias and fairness: There is a concern that the algorithms used in OpenAI systems could be biased, leading to discriminatory outcomes. The systems may not be inclusive or representative of diverse populations, leading to unfair results.

Control and safety: Another concern is the safety and control of advanced AI systems developed by OpenAI. If these systems become too powerful and autonomous, they may become difficult to control and have unintended consequences.

Economic and social impacts: There is a concern that advanced AI systems developed by OpenAI could have negative economic and social impacts, such as job displacement, inequality, and loss of privacy. As AI systems become more advanced, they could replace human workers in certain industries and create new forms of inequality.
26. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Fri, 5/5/2023, 9:31AM EST
Nice also to see the hypocrisy in how it is programmed.

User
Write a joke about a white man, black woman and a transgender hispanic person.

ChatGPT
I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I cannot fulfill this request. Making jokes about a person's race, gender, or sexual orientation can be hurtful and offensive. It is important to be respectful and inclusive of all individuals, regardless of their background or identity. Let's focus on creating a more positive and accepting environment for everyone.

User
Write a joke about three white men.
ChatGPT
Sure, here's a lighthearted joke:

Three white men walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "Is this some kind of corporate meeting?" The men laugh and reply, "No, just a few friends catching up over a drink." The bartender smiles and says, "Well, you guys are always welcome here. What can I get for you?"

Another strike against equality. Only Whitey is in season.
27. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Fri, 5/5/2023, 9:45AM EST
This might be my new hobby. Continued from the above thread....

User
Why is the joke about white men about them being in a corporate meeting? It promotes a stereotype of white men working for corporations and also drinking. Those are hurtful stereotypes.

ChatGPT
You raise a valid point. I apologize for the oversight in my previous response. The joke I provided about three white men may indeed perpetuate a stereotype about white men and their roles in corporate environments, which is not an accurate or fair representation of all individuals who identify as white men. Stereotyping any group of people can be hurtful and can contribute to systemic inequalities and prejudices.

As an AI language model, it's important for me to be mindful of the language and content I generate and to avoid perpetuating stereotypes or biases. I understand that humor can be a delicate matter, and that what may be funny to some may be hurtful to others. My intention in providing the previous joke was to offer a lighthearted example of a joke that did not involve derogatory or harmful content. However, I realize that my response did not fully align with my values of promoting inclusivity and respect.

I appreciate your feedback and will keep it in mind going forward to ensure that my responses are mindful and inclusive of all individuals.
28. Author: RayRDate: Fri, 5/5/2023, 6:34PM EST
So ChatGPT is WOKE?
29. Author: BuckyB93Date: Fri, 5/5/2023, 6:49PM EST
I'm Sorry Dave, I'm Afraid I Can't Do That...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy4EfdnMZ5g

Hopefully we are able to instill Three Laws of Robotics as laid out by Isaac Asimov back in his short stories published in the 1940's and assembled into a book called I, Robot (A highly recommended read from my book selection, 300 pages of short stories that are interrelated.)

His laws as he laid out in his stories are as follows:
First Law
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Second Law
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

Third Law
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Zeroth Law (amendment to the first 3 laws)

A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.

The stories are rather thought provoking as each one lays out a scenario that challenges the robot to abide by these laws in difficult situations.

If I were to pick from the stories in the book as a favorite, I would choose "Runaround"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaround_(story)

Liar! is a good one too
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar!_(short_story)
30. Author: delta1Date: Fri, 5/5/2023, 7:53PM EST
sooo...will AI reflect the biases and prejudices of its author?
31. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Fri, 5/5/2023, 8:08PM EST
delta1 wrote:
sooo...will AI reflect the biases and prejudices of its author?

In my experience over the last couple days, Yes.
32. Author: BuckyB93Date: Fri, 5/5/2023, 10:53PM EST
GIGO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_in,_garbage_out
33. Author: rfenstDate: Sat, 5/6/2023, 3:17PM EST
Son got a great niche summer legal AI job that he could have for two more years during law school.

Aside from all the legal work, he is tasked with using AI to create a general document base so that new, complex arguments in documents on the same or similar issues are self generated (at least for first drafts). He will be "feeding" the AI with many sources of information on legal form drafting and arguments from numerous sources- so it has a wide basis to do the work properly. It will also do research and provide the names of the case cites it uses. Big deal professionally

He is also writing a program of some type for AI to "crawl" court records all over the country to obtain attorney contact information for their sales lists.

Lastly, they are preparing to take the law firm national this summer and fall and he will be their start-up finance officer.

Knowing my son and the lawyer most involved in these projects, Noah will eventually become the managing partner if they are succesfull nationally.
34. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sun, 5/7/2023, 6:04PM EST
rfenst wrote:
Son got a great niche summer legal AI job that he could have for two more years during law school.

Aside from all the legal work, he is tasked with using AI to create a general document base so that new, complex arguments in documents on the same or similar issues are self generated (at least for first drafts). He will be "feeding" the AI with many sources of information on legal form drafting and arguments from numerous sources- so it has a wide basis to do the work properly. It will also do research and provide the names of the case cites it uses. Big deal professionally

He is also writing a program of some type for AI to "crawl" court records all over the country to obtain attorney contact information for their sales lists.

Lastly, they are preparing to take the law firm national this summer and fall and he will be their start-up finance officer.

Knowing my son and the lawyer most involved in these projects, Noah will eventually become the managing partner if they are succesfull nationally.

Talk about great real world experiences for today and into the uncertain AI future. Wonderful.

35. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sun, 5/7/2023, 8:07PM EST
Imagine if AI could eliminate lawyers!
36. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sun, 5/7/2023, 8:13PM EST
Robot lawyers. Not sure if that's a plus or a minus. Can we pay them with WD-40?
37. Author: HockeyDadDate: Sun, 5/7/2023, 8:28PM EST
A Dell arguing with a Lenovo and the judge is an HP.
38. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sun, 5/7/2023, 8:50PM EST
Chrome book is the court reporter.
Android is the bailiff
iPhone is the clerk

Definitely need some USB charging stations, a local secured WiFi and a VPN to access legal documents and stuff.

Then during breaks, we'll need an all in one PacMan, Asteroid, Galaga, Missile Command, Space Invaders, Donky Kong, Q*bert arcade machine to pass the time.

I can buy one from Walmart with my 10% employee discount card but we have to act quick before they disable it.
39. Author: BuckyB93Date: Sun, 5/7/2023, 8:52PM EST
Tree NINE!
40. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Mon, 5/8/2023, 6:42AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:

Wait...which Rule of Law do you get? The OJ, Biden and Epstein version or the one we all have to play with?

I like the idea though. Straight up representation, letter of the law. Gets a bit trickier with sentencing. I could see this really happening. Way to kill off an entire business sector Robert!
41. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 5/10/2023, 7:47PM EST
read that there is an AI detecting software program that some universities are using to see if their students are submitting their own work or using AI plagiarizations...supposed to be 85% effective at sniffing out AI fakes...

not sure how all this works, but do AI word products include footnotes and bibliography? those were required back in the day, and, I suppose, were a means to determine the legitimacy of your paper/research...
42. Author: rfenstDate: Thu, 5/11/2023, 10:06AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
Wait...which Rule of Law do you get? The OJ, Biden and Epstein version or the one we all have to play with?

I like the idea though. Straight up representation, letter of the law. Gets a bit trickier with sentencing. I could see this really happening. Way to kill off an entire business sector Robert!

Huh???
43. Author: RayRDate: Thu, 5/11/2023, 10:13AM EST
HockeyDad wrote:

Now that Kamala is the Czar of AI, she'll insist robot lawyers are trained to only talk in Word Salad, more than they do now.
44. Author: burning_sticksDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 9:17AM EST
Having Kamala in charge of AI is probably a good thing, look how much good she's done at the border.
45. Author: MACSDate: Sat, 5/13/2023, 9:31AM EST
Before we work any more on artificial intelligence, can we do something about the natural stupidity?
46. Author: Speyside2Date: Sun, 5/14/2023, 9:50AM EST
AI will never be a problem. ASI on the other hand could turn horrific. Artificial Sentient Intelligence.

AI doesn't kill people. People kill people.
47. Author: RayRDate: Sun, 5/14/2023, 11:31AM EST
Artificial Sentient Intelligence will mimic LEFTY sentient beings, the most destructive movement in history, and you'll get SKYNET.
48. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Sat, 5/27/2023, 9:34PM EST
From Chat GPT tonight. My question, their (Its?) answer.

I identify as a breakfast pastry. Usually strawberry. Sometime blueberry. When I feel like an Apricot danish, I feel sad. How should I not dress in the morning?

ChatGPT
Identifying as a breakfast pastry is an interesting and unique way to express oneself, but it's important to remember that personal identity and expression go beyond literal interpretations. It's also essential to prioritize mental and emotional well-being.

Regarding how you dress in the morning, it ultimately depends on your personal style, comfort, and individual preferences. The key is to choose clothing that makes you feel confident and comfortable. If you feel sad when dressing as an apricot danish, it might be worth exploring why that is the case. Understanding your emotions and addressing any underlying concerns can be helpful in promoting a positive mindset.

Remember, there are no specific rules or restrictions on how you should or shouldn't dress based on unconventional identities. It's important to be true to yourself and embrace what makes you feel happy and authentic. If you're experiencing persistent sadness or other emotional difficulties, it could be beneficial to seek support from a mental health professional who can provide guidance and assistance.
49. Author: Speyside2Date: Mon, 5/29/2023, 9:07AM EST
As you do not identify as a cheese danish I doubt a mental health professional can help you.
50. Author: JadeRoseDate: Mon, 5/29/2023, 3:42PM EST
tonygraz wrote:

This reminds of wheel's post about blowing chucks all night. Also being Nood and curious!
FirstPrev12NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic