Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
CBid lower price Cigars worth buying to rest long term
1. Author: nolenDate: Mon, 5/22/2023, 9:48PM EST

Here are some budget cigars I’ve bought from CBid over the yrs that after resting for between 6-11yrs have become PHENOMENAL smokes: La Gloria Serie R, Ava Maria Crusader, AJ New World, Cohiba Conn, Partagas Cifuentes, Hoyo Excalibur Epicure, Rocky Patel Edge Corojo, Ramon Bueso Genesis, Gran Habano 2002, San Lotano Oval, Joya de Nicaragua Antano, Baccarat, Juan Lopez, Alec Bradley Prensado Fumas, Perdomo Reserve Champagne Epicure, Black Crown, Alec Bradley Select Corojo, Villiger Export Cigarillos, Insidious by Asylum, Tatuaje Tattoo. I keep my long-term resting humidors full (they like to snuggle) and at 52-55% humidity. I only open them up once-twice a yr. Also, my Cuban Jose Piedra Cazadores are dripping with honey after 10yrs.
2. Author: ZRX1200Date: Mon, 5/22/2023, 9:52PM EST
Dripping with honey?

Jose Piedra are gonna get more tolerable but they aren’t magically going to turn into a Bolivar PC.

Good for you on the cheap cigars, we appreciate you keeping the lights on.
3. Author: nolenDate: Tue, 5/23/2023, 12:37AM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
Dripping with honey?

Jose Piedra are gonna get more tolerable but they aren’t magically going to turn into a Bolivar PC.

Good for you on the cheap cigars, we appreciate you keeping the lights on.

Dear Prince ZRX - Apples to oranges, Bolivar is quite frankly the strongest Cuban I have ever smoked and I don't care for them at all quite frankly, The Joya de Nicaragua Dark Corojo is the strongest cigar in the world and it is a smooth smoking gem. The Jose Piedra is medium/mild with an amazing honey profile after some rest. Message me and I will gladly send you one, in fact, I will send you any Cuban you want, on me. I have lived in Mazatlan, Sinaloa, MX now for many years and have access to the finest cigars in the world.
4. Author: ZRX1200Date: Tue, 5/23/2023, 9:18AM EST
That’s sweet of you to offer, and it’s about time someone recognized my regal ways…..have you smoked a Tatuaje Fausto or a LFD Double Ligero?

I’m good on cigars though, I smoked two this last weekend while fishing and that was the most I’ve smoked in months. I have a very well endowed humidor, if you look you can find pics of it.
5. Author: Stogie1020Date: Tue, 5/23/2023, 11:22AM EST
nolen wrote:
Dear Prince ZRX - Apples to oranges, Bolivar is quite frankly the strongest Cuban I have ever smoked and I don't care for them at all quite frankly,

I think the use of "quite frankly" twice in one sentence is an underappreciated gem...
6. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Tue, 5/23/2023, 11:35AM EST
Quite.
7. Author: tonygrazDate: Tue, 5/23/2023, 11:56AM EST
I would suggest you drop the Tattoo from your list. Just smoked one from 2015 and although it improved, it still was not something I would buy again. Also the Ramon Bueso's are not as good as they used to be after a few years rest. Where have you been, or just no internet in Mexico ?
8. Author: PapaWhiskeyDate: Tue, 5/23/2023, 1:33PM EST
Those Macanudo Inspirado Orange are pretty good.
9. Author: PalamaDate: Tue, 5/23/2023, 2:33PM EST
nolen wrote:
Here are some budget cigars I’ve bought from CBid over the yrs that after resting for between 6-11yrs have become PHENOMENAL smokes: La Gloria Serie R, Ava Maria Crusader, AJ New World, Cohiba Conn, Partagas Cifuentes, Hoyo Excalibur Epicure, Rocky Patel Edge Corojo, Ramon Bueso Genesis, Gran Habano 2002, San Lotano Oval, Joya de Nicaragua Antano, Baccarat, Juan Lopez, Alec Bradley Prensado Fumas, Perdomo Reserve Champagne Epicure, Black Crown, Alec Bradley Select Corojo, Villiger Export Cigarillos, Insidious by Asylum, Tatuaje Tattoo. I keep my long-term resting humidors full (they like to snuggle) and at 52-55% humidity. I only open them up once-twice a yr. Also, my Cuban Jose Piedra Cazadores are dripping with honey after 10yrs.

Quite frankly I only have a few of those from 7-10 years ago but haven’t touched them in at least 5-6. Mebbe time to revisit and hope they’ve improved but quite frankly, don’t hold much hope for them. But, iffin’ I’mma wrong, then, quite frankly, I’ll be happy to have some stashed away.

Btw, when I saw your humidity range, quite frankly, I thought it was a typo but something tells me it is what you prefer.
10. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 5/23/2023, 4:26PM EST
nolen wrote:

Hi Steven.
How's your health?

I see you live in Mexico...I assume you closed that clinic?
11. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 5/23/2023, 4:53PM EST
It's been a while nolen...hope you are well...

like Palama, I prolly have a few of those and other cigars I smoked back in those days laying in deep recesses of my cigar storage boxes...hopefully, some have improved like you said...but in my experience many OK cigars don't become great cigars after 10+ years of age...most get a little dusty tasting and mellow out some...that's what happened to a few Torano Signatures I found...
12. Author: nolenDate: Wed, 5/24/2023, 11:27PM EST
tonygraz wrote:
I would suggest you drop the Tattoo from your list. Just smoked one from 2015 and although it improved, it still was not something I would buy again. Also the Ramon Bueso's are not as good as they used to be after a few years rest. Where have you been, or just no internet in Mexico ?

Hey Tony, what I listed was just from my experience (I've gotten out of control w 34 humidors!) My point is to the newcomer that in their collection, invest in some cigars for the long term that will not break their bank. They may be pleasantly surprised with them one day. There will most certainly be duds though as you pointed out.

As for me, I've been taking care of my parents, my dad passed last December and I've since settled my mom in The Villages, Florida where she has wanted to be. I'll be spending a month with her in August.
13. Author: nolenDate: Wed, 5/24/2023, 11:48PM EST
Palama wrote:
Quite frankly I only have a few of those from 7-10 years ago but haven’t touched them in at least 5-6. Mebbe time to revisit and hope they’ve improved but quite frankly, don’t hold much hope for them. But, iffin’ I’mma wrong, then, quite frankly, I’ll be happy to have some stashed away.

Btw, when I saw your humidity range, quite frankly, I thought it was a typo but something tells me it is what you prefer.

Nope, quite frankly Palma, 52 quite frankly to 55 is quite frankly what I quite frankly keep my long-term cigars at quite frankly. No chance of mold quite frankly.
14. Author: PalamaDate: Thu, 5/25/2023, 1:14AM EST
nolen wrote:
Nope, quite frankly Palma, 52 quite frankly to 55 is quite frankly what I quite frankly keep my long-term cigars at quite frankly. No chance of mold quite frankly.

Laugh ThumpUp
15. Author: nolenDate: Thu, 5/25/2023, 3:21AM EST
delta1 wrote:
It's been a while nolen...hope you are well...

like Palama, I prolly have a few of those and other cigars I smoked back in those days laying in deep recesses of my cigar storage boxes...hopefully, some have improved like you said...but in my experience many OK cigars don't become great cigars after 10+ years of age...most get a little dusty tasting and mellow out some...that's what happened to a few Torano Signatures I found...

Hey Brother Delta,

I was surprised at how well some of those inexpensive cigars turned out. Believe me, not all turned out well: my Tornanos have started to taste like dirt (I hate it because they are such a great family), 5 Vegas - Brickhouse - Man O' War - Graycliff were duds, I wish I never bought a Gurkha - they have all crapped out on me, Punch used to be such a great cigar in the 90's but none of mine from the 2000's held up, my CAO's pre-Gen Cigar are great but those afterward have been really bad, if I want Monte- H Upman- RYJ- Partagas I've learned to buy Cuban, my Oliva's didn't do well, and my EP Carrillos did poorly (sad because great family plus hot daughter).

Some I've found well worth the long haul: All of my AJF's have been phenominal- he is the Nikola Tesla of cigars - his Ramon Allones are like gold in my humiders, ALL of my Alec Bradleys have gotten better and better -just an AMAZING company, The old family-owned Comachos have done fabulous but the Gen Cigar versions have turned out unsmokable, all Drew Estates have done fabo - KY Fire Cured is like brown sugar after a few yrs but I didn't like them ROTT, Perdomo has been $ in the bank for me, all my La Aroma's are to die for, my AVO's have been yummy, Plasencia was a dark horse but terrific - their factories make most of the boutique cigar brands in the USA, my Rocky Patels have been a very good investment - I can't think of even one bad one, all CLE's are out of this world - Christian is a master, Pinar Del Rio - I bought all I could afford and I was right on for that investment, all of my Arturo Fuentes have been GREAT - I have some from all the way back to1992 - when I was young all I could afford were the Curly Head's and I still love them today, my Don Pepins are reserved for ONLY my special guests, La Gloria Cubana Serie R is the GOAT (I've smoked them since 1993), I bought boxes of Gran Habano's and it was a great call, I believe us BOTL will be smoking The Griffin's in heavan, my Illusione have done very well, my Kristoff's have been solid.

Let me know what your experience has been. I hope all is well with you and your family. DM me, I have some cigars for you, Tony, Palma and Frank
16. Author: nolenDate: Thu, 5/25/2023, 4:15AM EST
frankj1 wrote:
Hi Steven.
How's your health?

I see you live in Mexico...I assume you closed that clinic?

Hey Frank!

Yep, I live a couple of blocks from the beach in beautiful, sunny Mazatlan. I sold my share in the practice and decided that life was too short and that I needed to do the things I had wanted to do while I still can with my health. A friend of mine who is 85 told me to do all you can between 60-80 because after that you will probably have to slow down. That hit me hard so I made some changes.

How are you and your family?

Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic