Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Shoulder reliever
1. Author: MACSDate: Sun, 3/24/2024, 10:36AM EST
So I saw this thing advertized on Instagram. Then I went searching for it online and found it at https://tinyurl.com/5n66k9dz

So it's a handle, with a cable attached... and a carabiner at the other end so you can change out 4 different sized weights. They want $189.99 for that thing!!

I went on Amazon and found an adjustable jumprope, made of plastic coated cable ($12.99), got a carabiner at Home Depot for $4 and then used various sized lead weights from my tackle box. So I made an exact replica of that damn thing for under $20.

I should start marketing it...
2. Author: deadeyedickDate: Sun, 3/24/2024, 11:07AM EST
You are gonna put an eye out!
3. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sun, 3/24/2024, 11:15AM EST
Before my surgery I tried what I thought was everything. Never saw that one. Still don't know how it works despite watching the vid on the link you provided. Tried the strengthening bands, 1-5 lb free weights, TENS unit, heating pad, icebags (all of the previous items I still have and use), every arthritis cream, CBD tincture and cream and supplement to try to relieve the pain.

What I strongly suggest, if you're experiencing any long standing diminished movement or pain...is to get your doctor involved and seek out a strong 2nd opinion. Don't wear blinders because it's your primary doctor. Case in point...my injury goes back to 2014 where I ripped apart a successful rotator cuff surgery. Had the 2nd one to repair the torn labrum. I was worse off than before the procedure. I was told that I didn't take the PT seriously. That was a baldfaced lie. I was a really good athlete as a kid and took strength training, dietary classes and drills to the inth degree. First one in the weight room, turning off the lights to the room at night kinda guy and that hard work always paid off. It got me to the level I wanted to go which was being scouted by colleges to play Football, so taking whatever PT they could throw at me wasn't just being done at their facility but at home as well! I say seek a 2nd strong opinion because for years I took my doctor at his word and was dealing with pain the best way I could. Eating 1200-1800mg of Ibuprofen a day for almost a year to stave off tears, and only sleeping 2-3 hours a night was what got me to seek out a 2nd. I couldn't go forward anymore with the "honey badger" gnawing on my shoulder. When I finally decided the 2nd opinion was the correct one I had a follow up MRI with them. What didn't show up on the previous ones were the grooves the calcium buildup on the ball and socket had actually worn grooves into giving me that "pop" when it would fall back into its track and it killed. The labrum cartilage was shredded so much it was non-existent. My doctor was seeing the film for the 1st time and shaking his head, got up from his desk and tilted his screen so he could see it and be near me and placed his thumb EXACTLY where the grooves were and sunk in his thumb. My eyes got wide and I shot up in the chair as he was doing that and he said as he turned the screen all the way so I could see it, "I'm surprised you're not crying". I had to get the surgery. Now, post...I can move my arm more. I still can't put my arm in a Parade Rest motion. It just won't move like that, but PT is coming along nicely. I have a looped contraption where I put my bad arm in and pull over my shoulder with my good arm over to my chest trying to get it to move. I don't have the nagging pain anymore. I can move my arm like a windmill, just can't put it behind my back yet. I've been told it's the last thing that might come back. There's some where it doesn't. If you're looking, seek out a place like the Florida Orthopedic Institute in your area. https://www.floridaortho.com/. Call them and see whom they recommend for your area if you need to.

As for the new gear...I always applaud Yankee Ingenuity! Maybe you could be like Navin Johnson and become really wealthy!
4. Author: MACSDate: Sun, 3/24/2024, 12:55PM EST
I'm not experiencing shoulder pain, thankfully. I did have shoulder surgery back in 2014, though, and learned in physical therapy what exercises to do to strengthen the "helper" muscles.

The rotator cuff has muscles associated with it that really should be strengthened when you're lifting a lot, like I have been. People ignore them and try to do a heavy shoulder day and that's how you get hurt. I try to switch from heavy days low reps to light days high reps.

Training your deltoids (front, middle and rear) without doing something for the rotator cuff muscles is asking for injury, IMO.

Sooooo... I try to do what I can for them. This thing seems pretty effective. 4 oz weight got me tired. 10 oz weight I was really feeling it.
5. Author: rfenstDate: Sun, 3/24/2024, 1:03PM EST
I need to make an ortho appointment for my shoulder, but will be getting the MRI first. Sucks, but nowhere as bad a s MV above. I think it will need to be scoped for impingement syndrome and some minor soft tissue fraying.
6. Author: DrafterXDate: Sun, 3/24/2024, 1:45PM EST
I've been putting off getting tore cuff fixed for a couple years now... it's been talking to me lately... Mellow
7. Author: COHoyoMan68Date: Sun, 3/24/2024, 2:32PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
I've been putting off getting tore cuff fixed for a couple years now... it's been talking to me lately... Mellow

Don't wait, get it fixed. I waited, then ended up getting a knee replaced and BOTH shoulders done out of necessity last year. Fix it before the other one goes.
8. Author: rfenstDate: Sun, 3/24/2024, 2:55PM EST
COHoyoMan68 wrote:
Don't wait, get it fixed. I waited, then ended up getting a knee replaced and BOTH shoulders done out of necessity last year. Fix it before the other one goes.

I'm on it.
9. Author: tonygrazDate: Sun, 3/24/2024, 4:44PM EST
I had shoulder problems that looked like a rotator cup problem. Doctor was supposed to check with the insurance about getting an MRI. Several months later it went away and hasn't bothered me since (about 10 yrs). Never heard from the doctor.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic