America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 6 weeks ago by doeshin. 19 replies replies.
HVC Cigars - Thoughts?
Palama Online
#1 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 11,182
On the recommendation of my cigar-smoking doctor (...true story...), I signed up to go to a HVC smoker next month. Dinner, drinks and a sampler pack included. I’ve never had an HVC cigar but wondering if other members have tried them and what their thoughts are.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 1,210
I've had a La Rosa 520 I liked a lot, a special edition 2015 I liked OK, and a Black Friday 2018 yet to be lit.

Seems like a decent brand overall from what I've read and what little I've experienced personally
NWStogie Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 07-25-2016
Posts: 683
Their 2016 and 2017 Black Fridays are delicious.
Palama Online
#4 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 11,182
Thanks for the quick input.

Unfortunately I’ve already missed out on the Black Friday releases. Sad

After reading about the different blends, before we go, I’m tossing around the idea of getting 5ers of:

EE 2018 Corona
La Rosa 520 Favoritos
Vieja Cosecha No. 2

At the event, there will be a Hawaii exclusive, Serie A Robusto...but can’t find any info on that blend. Anyone know what kind of wrapper is used on this frontmark?
Sunoverbeach Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 1,210
Don't know nuttin 'bout any fancy shmancy aloha blends
Herfing
Whistlebritches Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 04-23-2006
Posts: 17,310
Palama wrote:


At the event, there will be a Hawaii exclusive, Serie A Robusto...but can’t find any info on that blend. Anyone know what kind of wrapper is used on this frontmark?


Not a clue..........but since you send me all your Hawaii exclusive stuff I'll let you know what it is and if I like it.


Mahalo
Ewok126 Offline
#7 Posted:
Joined: 06-25-2017
Posts: 4,330
I do not think I have ever had an HVC or any hawaiian exclusive.

Do they have the subtle flavor of Pineapple and Spam?
tonygraz Offline
#8 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2008
Posts: 10,609
50 -50
danmdevries Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 02-11-2014
Posts: 10,303
Never heard of em
Palama Online
#10 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 11,182
Palama wrote:
Thanks for the quick input.

Unfortunately I’ve already missed out on the Black Friday releases. Sad

After reading about the different blends, before we go, I’m tossing around the idea of getting 5ers of:

EE 2018 Corona
La Rosa 520 Favoritos
Vieja Cosecha No. 2

At the event, there will be a Hawaii exclusive, Serie A Robusto...but can’t find any info on that blend. Anyone know what kind of wrapper is used on this frontmark?


Pulled the trigger. Ordered the 5ers plus a couple of JRE Aladino Cazador and Elegante 5ers.
euodias Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 10-16-2009
Posts: 1,382
Palama wrote:
On the recommendation of my cigar-smoking doctor (...true story...), I signed up to go to a HVC smoker next month. Dinner, drinks and a sampler pack included. I’ve never had an HVC cigar but wondering if other members have tried them and what their thoughts are.


That doctor accepting new patients? Herfing
Palama Online
#12 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 11,182
euodias wrote:
That doctor accepting new patients? Herfing


Haha! He might be...he’s an avid Opus X smoker but just remember, the fact that he smokes cigars is a secret Shhh
delta1 Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 16,613
let us know whatcha think of em, Conan...
Palama Online
#14 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 11,182
delta1 wrote:
let us know whatcha think of em, Conan...


10-4

My order shipped today so I expect to be trying them in early April before the event.
euodias Offline
#15 Posted:
Joined: 10-16-2009
Posts: 1,382
Palama wrote:
Haha! He might be...he’s an avid Opus X smoker but just remember, the fact that he smokes cigars is a secret Shhh


No worries if you need to keep your secrets, just on the lookout for a new PCP.
Palama Online
#16 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 11,182
euodias wrote:
No worries if you need to keep your secrets, just on the lookout for a new PCP.


Not my secret...I understand he doesn’t want anyone taking his picture at anything cigar related. At the two Fuente events I’ve seen him at, he stands in line early, buys boxes of Opus X, talks story for a few minutes and then leaves. Doesn’t stay to smoke, drink or eat dinner.

But seriously, if you’re looking for a new doctor, lemme know.
Palama Online
#17 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 11,182
After smoking 4 different HVC blends, I’m far from an expert on them but so far so good:

La Rosa Favoritos - 6-1/2 x 42, Nic Jalapa Corojo ‘99 wrapper - mini-herf at Homer’s house last week Friday, within a few puffs both of us were like, “Umm, pretty good”. Medium body and strength. I won’t claim to remember any tastes (...we drank some bourbon that night too...) but already thinking about buying more

Edicion Especial 2018 Corona - 5 x 46 - Nic Jalapa Corojo ‘99 wrapper - I liked this too but will need to smoke another one to see if I want to get more. Nothing bad about this one but I sparked this up after the Favoritos and more bourbon. IIRC, medium-ish body and strength.

Serie A Robusto - 5 x 50 - Nic Jalapa Corojo ‘99 - Hawaii exclusive size, the blend will be released in two other sizes to the rest of the world, we’re “special” so we get our own size. Flapper Started out spicy then in the 2/3, transitioned to a bit more mellow, some creaminess, then in the 3/3, went back to spicy. Really enjoyed this one,

Vieja Cosecha No. 2 - 6-1/2 x 56 Figurado - Nic Jalapa Corojo ‘99 - sheesh, until I looked up and typed in the wrapper, didn’t realize I’ve only smoked the Corojo wrapped blends. Another medium body and strength but quite tasty. I don’t normally like this size but it smoked quicker than I thought it would so thinking of getting more.

At the event, the owner of HVC Cigars, Reiner “Just Call Me Lorenzo” Lorenzo was in attendance and spoke for a few minutes about each of the cigars in our sampler pack. Spoke decent enough but my untrained Hispanic-accent ears missed some things. At any rate, the one thing I learned was that between the two major tobacco growing regions in Nicaragua, the Jalapa Valley with it’s sandier soil, makes for a sweeter tobacco. On the other hand, tobacco grown in Esteli is stronger. Lorenzo also prefers medium to med-full cigars because he likes to smoke 3-4 cigars a day...hence, his blends lean towards his tastes (duh!). I got to talk to Lorenzo a couple of times, he was very generous with his time and knowledge.

All in all, a very nice evening and fo’ sure I’ll go to next years event.
delta1 Offline
#18 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 16,613
I'd be interested in doing a box split (or fiver if anyone else wants to try'em) with you if you do pick up any more of the ones you liked...
doeshin Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 01-03-2015
Posts: 214
Kohnhed seems to love their Cerro Maduro. I picked up a 10 pack from somewhere west. if you want site and what i did to purchase, PM me.
Users browsing this topic
Guest