America's #1 Online Cigar Auction
first, best, biggest!

Last post 7 months ago by frankj1. 30 replies replies.
Old Henry...
KingoftheCove Offline
#1 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,603
Last summer I worked the fire camp in Gold Beach for a couple months.
This huge water truck pulls into camp, and I hop up on the side of his rig to tell him where to go, and as he lowers his window more, a huge, but wonderful waft of cigar smoke hits me.................awesome room note!
I ask what he’s smoking.........Old Henry Maduro.

I know Pepin has been making these for MB3 for a long time.
Anyone have these in their rotation?
Any comments on favorite lines and/or vitolas?
Thx
danmdevries Offline
#2 Posted:
Joined: 02-11-2014
Posts: 11,477
I've had one or two, didn't hate em. Never bought em.
opelmanta1900 Offline
#3 Posted:
Joined: 01-10-2012
Posts: 10,630
I get the pure breeds in the heavenly sampler... I'm a fan... If nothing else, construction is always solid...
delta1 Offline
#4 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 18,950
reminds me of CelticBomber...he liked Old Henry cigars...hope he is well...
frankj1 Offline
#5 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 30,499
delta1 wrote:
reminds me of CelticBomber...he liked Old Henry cigars...hope he is well...

I fear all is not well...no definitive proof but jespear came up with some evidence that was not promising a while back...
but a Philly kid, so the Old Henrys make sense.
jespear Offline
#6 Posted:
Joined: 03-19-2004
Posts: 8,869
frankj1 wrote:
I fear all is not well...no definitive proof but jespear came up with some evidence that was not promising a while back...
but a Philly kid, so the Old Henrys make sense.


Unfortunately, I do believe CB has gone on to that big humidor in the sky for an eternal rest.
Not 100% certain, but I found an obituary a while back that I'm pretty sure was his. Sad

jes
smokestaxx Offline
#7 Posted:
Joined: 01-27-2012
Posts: 4,183
jespear wrote:
Unfortunately, I do believe CB has gone on to that big humidor in the sky for an eternal rest.
Not 100% certain, but I found an obituary a while back that I'm pretty sure was his. Sad

jes

Dam that's very unfortunate to hear if thats the case. He was a good guy.
Mrs. dpnewell Offline
#8 Posted:
Joined: 08-23-2014
Posts: 1,086
KingoftheCove wrote:
Last summer I worked the fire camp in Gold Beach for a couple months.
This huge water truck pulls into camp, and I hop up on the side of his rig to tell him where to go, and as he lowers his window more, a huge, but wonderful waft of cigar smoke hits me.................awesome room note!
I ask what he’s smoking.........Old Henry Maduro.

I know Pepin has been making these for MB3 for a long time.
Anyone have these in their rotation?
Any comments on favorite lines and/or vitolas?
Thx


I'm a fan of the original. I remember reading a story years ago on the MBIII web site. I don't know if it's true or not, but they claim that many years ago, an older Cuban roller came into their Philly store and offered to roll cigars in their front window. The cigars where an instant hit with their customers. The older Cuban roller? None other then an unknown Don Pepin Garcia himself. According to the story, this is how Pepin got his start. Their claim was that the Old Henry is the original blend that Pepin rolled in their store front window. This story since been removed from their website so take it with a grain of salt.

David
Mrs. dpnewell Offline
#9 Posted:
Joined: 08-23-2014
Posts: 1,086
jespear wrote:
Unfortunately, I do believe CB has gone on to that big humidor in the sky for an eternal rest.
Not 100% certain, but I found an obituary a while back that I'm pretty sure was his. Sad

jes


Wow John, so sorry to hear this.

David
KingoftheCove Offline
#10 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,603
smokestaxx wrote:
Dam that's very unfortunate to hear if thats the case. He was a good guy.

+1
Holding out hope that maybe John is wrong........but...
Pray
opelmanta1900 Offline
#11 Posted:
Joined: 01-10-2012
Posts: 10,630
That is sad... I didn't get the impression he was very old... Exchanged a few pm's with him back in the day and he was a genuinely nice guy...
dstieger Offline
#12 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 10,624
Yikes. Hadn't realized that he's been away from here for over four years. And more like 7 or 8 since I've heard from him. Sad.

If someone confirms, I'll update the memorial page
KingoftheCove Offline
#13 Posted:
Joined: 10-08-2011
Posts: 5,603
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
I'm a fan of the original. I remember reading a story years ago on the MBIII web site. I don't know if it's true or not, but they claim that many years ago, an older Cuban roller came into their Philly store and offered to roll cigars in their front window. The cigars where an instant hit with their customers. The older Cuban roller? None other then an unknown Don Pepin Garcia himself. According to the story, this is how Pepin got his start. Their claim was that the Old Henry is the original blend that Pepin rolled in their store front window. This story since been removed from their website so take it with a grain of salt.

David

Hmmm..............never heard anything like that.
Crazy story if true.

Is the original the one with the Corojo wrapper?
Do you still smoke em?
Mrs. dpnewell Offline
#14 Posted:
Joined: 08-23-2014
Posts: 1,086
Yes, the Corojo wrapper. I still smoke them when I can get them for my price. I read that Pepin story on their Philly store's web site back in 2009. I have not been able to find anything to coloberate it since.

David
frankj1 Offline
#15 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 30,499
dstieger wrote:
Yikes. Hadn't realized that he's been away from here for over four years. And more like 7 or 8 since I've heard from him. Sad.

If someone confirms, I'll update the memorial page

during my last few exchanges with Stephen, he told me of a very debilitating illness that was attacking his joints and cartilage...something much like that.

He said it had been going on a while, he'd sometimes post after being MIA that he'd been away from cbid due to the flu or a bad cold but really he had bad stretches with this disease and preferred to not publicize it here, so he lied about minor health issues.

he was angry about this, had been proud of working with his hands and now his body was weakening. said he was going to stop communicating because he found that most of the time he ended up consoling the well wisher over how badly they felt for him, and he just didn't really mean it when saying he appreciated it and stuff.

He was angry.

Never replied to my last PM a few years ago...but as far as confirming, John took it from where I left off.
dstieger Offline
#16 Posted:
Joined: 06-22-2007
Posts: 10,624
I'll post it. If reports are greatly exaggerated, I'll happily edit him out...(or in?)
delta1 Offline
#17 Posted:
Joined: 11-23-2011
Posts: 18,950
sorry to hear...he lived up to his name, and found a supplier of aged LFD Coronados that many of us enjoyed...I may have one or two of those left, which I'll smoke in his honor...
ZRX1200 Offline
#18 Posted:
Joined: 07-08-2007
Posts: 50,319
How long has he been gone?

I haven’t texted his wife in some time.
frankj1 Offline
#19 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 30,499
ZRX1200 wrote:
How long has he been gone?

I haven’t texted his wife in some time.

jespear and I were trying to remember her name recently...oh, wait.
ya got me.
frankj1 Offline
#20 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 30,499
delta1 wrote:
sorry to hear...he lived up to his name, and found a supplier of aged LFD Coronados that many of us enjoyed...I may have one or two of those left, which I'll smoke in his honor...

not just a supplier, he contacted Litto directly! Bought the whole lot of the exclusive size (The Hammer) rolled for a shpo in/near Philly. I think it was 17 or 18 boxes.

He didn't keep one for himself, was already pretty ill.

I got a box, wish I had been smaht enough to get 2 or 3...but in hindsight, I believe the more that got in on this the better.
And it was StePHen! Boy did he get mad if someone wrote Steven.
jespear Offline
#21 Posted:
Joined: 03-19-2004
Posts: 8,869
frankj1 wrote:
not just a supplier, he contacted Litto directly! Bought the whole lot of the exclusive size (The Hammer) rolled for a shpo in/near Philly. I think it was 17 or 18 boxes.

He didn't keep one for himself, was already pretty ill.

I got a box, wish I had been smaht enough to get 2 or 3...but in hindsight, I believe the more that got in on this the better.
And it was StePHen! Boy did he get mad if someone wrote Steven.


That was Stephen's thinking, as well.
He told me. in private, about his dealings with Lito, before he went public with it
I asked him if he would reserve 3 or 4 boxes for me, ( I really LOVED this cigar), and he politely told me that he would do that ONLY if there was enough left over after others on the forum had a chance to get in on it.
I DID manage to snag two boxes. I have three left from the first box, and the second box is still unopened, sitting in my Havana Foot Locker.
I will smoke one of the remaining three tonight, in his honor.

jes
jespear Offline
#22 Posted:
Joined: 03-19-2004
Posts: 8,869
frankj1 wrote:
jespear and I were trying to remember her name recently...oh, wait.
ya got me.



I'm thinking, maybe, SHERRY ?
Does that ring a bell, Frank ? Think
Palama Offline
#23 Posted:
Joined: 02-05-2013
Posts: 12,859
delta1 wrote:
sorry to hear...he lived up to his name, and found a supplier of aged LFD Coronados that many of us enjoyed...I may have one or two of those left, which I'll smoke in his honor...


RIP Stephen.

I was too much of a nOOb to get in on the deal but through the kindness of Youngra, I was able to try a couple of them. Have 1 more left and as soon as I get over this dang cold, will ash it up in honor of Stephen.
frankj1 Offline
#24 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 30,499
jespear wrote:
I'm thinking, maybe, SHERRY ?
Does that ring a bell, Frank ? Think

maybe a jingle, but that could be old age.
someone must know...Shaun said Stephen was his vet, maybe he knows.
very sad story.
CelticBomber Offline
#25 Posted:
Joined: 05-03-2012
Posts: 4,535
delta1 wrote:
reminds me of CelticBomber...he liked Old Henry cigars...hope he is well...




I DON'T like Old Henry's! You take that back. The store owner had 'em made in memory of his dog so I bought more than I should. Once I smoked one and realized he hated his dog I was stuck with a lot of crappy cigars. So I did what any real vet would do, I shipped 'em to you guy's! Hey guys, heres this cigar custom made for his doggie, now I'm not a fan myself but why don't you all try one and see what you think? I come out looking generous, that Celtic what a guy always has packages in the mail, I dump some crappy cigars and you guys love me just a little bit more! Sorry for the crappy smoke but I have plans within plans, Catholics wrapped up in Jews(have pics to prove), weed wrapped up in cigars. I'm a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, an enima, but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest.


Witty, and educational.

I better see a lot of Haha Celtic you are both a gentleman and quite the wit! You deserve my best cigars, Holy Celtic, newly risen from the dead, I praise thee and thy second coming.
Sunoverbeach Offline
#26 Posted:
Joined: 08-11-2017
Posts: 2,606
CelticBomber wrote:

I better see a lot of Haha Celtic you are both a gentleman and quite the wit! You deserve my best cigars, Holy Celtic, newly risen from the dead, I praise thee and thy second coming.


Haha Celtic you are both a gentleman and quite the wit!
You deserve my best Palma Reals & Victor Sinclairs
Holy Celtic, newly risen from the dead, I praise thee and thy second coming.

Hi there! I wasn't around prior to your untimely and inaccurate demise, but was cheered to see that you accomplished what only a handful of literary and religious figures, and Bill & Ted have before you in beating death. Nice to meet you so to speak

Angel
Mrs. dpnewell Offline
#27 Posted:
Joined: 08-23-2014
Posts: 1,086
Sunoverbeach wrote:
Haha Celtic you are both a gentleman and quite the wit!
You deserve my best Palma Reals & Victor Sinclairs
Holy Celtic, newly risen from the dead, I praise thee and thy second coming.

Hi there! I wasn't around prior to your untimely and inaccurate demise, but was cheered to see that you accomplished what only a handful of literary and religious figures, and Bill & Ted have before you in beating death. Nice to meet you so to speak

Angel


One of Stephen's favorite manufacturers. I remember giving him some VSs at Dante's one evening. Man he loved those things. If you want to get on the Bomber's good side, hit him with a bunch of VSs.

David
CelticBomber Offline
#28 Posted:
Joined: 05-03-2012
Posts: 4,535
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
One of Stephen's favorite manufacturers. I remember giving him some VSs at Dante's one evening. Man he loved those things. If you want to get on the Bomber's good side, hit him with a bunch of VSs.

David



First you're evil. Second, what would it take to get a nice herf going? Maybe some cards a few raffle boxes, lots of beer and good smokes?
Speyside Offline
#29 Posted:
Joined: 03-16-2015
Posts: 8,846
So you must have low self esteem. Perhaps with professional help you can stop thinking of yourself as an enima. Good luck.
frankj1 Offline
#30 Posted:
Joined: 02-08-2007
Posts: 30,499
he'd like us to think he's witty...and he's half right.
Users browsing this topic
Guest