Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
AJ Fernandez - New Cigars
1. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Thu, 1/23/2014, 6:35PM EST
Seems like he's coming out with a LOT of new offerings lately, the newest being the Mayimbe and Spectre.
The Mayimbe is highly rated, but I have only seen two reviews on the Spectre. Both say the aroma is like a campfire.
I'm a little hesitant about any cigar that is supposed to have flavors including "pine".
Has anyone had one of these yet?
Anxious
2. Author: Plowboy221Date: Thu, 1/23/2014, 6:44PM EST
Just got my box in the mail today, I'll probably ash one Saturday.
3. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Thu, 1/23/2014, 6:55PM EST
Plowboy221 wrote:
Just got my box in the mail today, I'll probably ash one Saturday.

I'll be looking forward to reading your impressions. Hope they're good!
4. Author: Plowboy221Date: Thu, 1/23/2014, 7:12PM EST
I hope there good, I like most of AJ's cigars. These were so cheap I just had to buy a box.
5. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Thu, 1/23/2014, 7:26PM EST
Same here. I have a 100 capacity humi for AJFs... mostly MOWs and Diesels. Just added a 5-er of Mayimbes (letting them rest) and was curious about the Spectres. Like I said, the "pine" flavor is a bit of a concern for me, so I'm cautiously optomistic.
6. Author: fenderbendertexDate: Sat, 1/25/2014, 7:38PM EST
I like most of his stuff too. Love MOW Ruination and PA's. How are Fallen Angel? Haven't tried those yet, either...
7. Author: dlandri21Date: Sat, 1/25/2014, 8:06PM EST
fenderbendertex wrote:
I like most of his stuff too. Love MOW Ruination and PA's. How are Fallen Angel? Haven't tried those yet, either...

I love the fallen angel. One of his best IMO
8. Author: shaun341Date: Sat, 1/25/2014, 8:13PM EST
I think the Fallen Angel may make a good first smoke of the day cigar but definitely needs to be smoked with water as your beverage. I found it to be very mild in the flavor department. I wouldn't suggest it to most.

I also did not care for diesel wicked which should have been a smoke that I prefer more often then not. I though it was very airy.

I do like a few other diesels though and AJ blends outside of the diesel label.

9. Author: Plowboy221Date: Sat, 1/25/2014, 8:15PM EST
^ I agree I bought a box of wicked's when they first came out. Decent cigar IMO. But there's better than it. I'll be firing up that Spectre fairly shortly.
10. Author: Bass manDate: Sat, 1/25/2014, 8:16PM EST
IMO aj's stuff needs a good nap! I can't smoke anything by him for atleast a year...even the armada coronas are still a beast with over a year on them! I hope he doesn't turn into a rocky and Gurkha with too many lines out
11. Author: Plowboy221Date: Sat, 1/25/2014, 9:03PM EST
Spectre, I can taste the pine definitely taste the pine… not bad, but not great. On the fence as of now.
12. Author: Plowboy221Date: Sat, 1/25/2014, 9:14PM EST
Yeah not for me, all I can tatse is the pine. It's like licking a little tree. IMO
13. Author: fenderbendertexDate: Sat, 1/25/2014, 9:20PM EST
dlandri21 wrote:
I love the fallen angel. One of his best IMO

Thanks Dave! Will have to try.
14. Author: fenderbendertexDate: Sat, 1/25/2014, 9:21PM EST
Bass man wrote:
IMO aj's stuff needs a good nap! I can't smoke anything by him for atleast a year...even the armada coronas are still a beast with over a year on them! I hope he doesn't turn into a rocky and Gurkha with too many lines out

Yeah, I put some San Lotano Ovals back to see what they will be like next year.
15. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Sun, 1/26/2014, 11:25AM EST
Plowboy221 wrote:
Spectre, I can taste the pine definitely taste the pine… not bad, but not great. On the fence as of now.

Plowboy221 wrote:
Yeah not for me, all I can tatse is the pine. It's like licking a little tree. IMO

That's what I was afraid of... Not a pine fan. Great for building houses, but not in my cigars or beverages. A friend made some home brew a few years back that had a lot of pine flavor in it. It's what I imagine PineSol would taste like - and I hate the smell anyway.
Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Saved me the trouble of waiting to get some - and being disappointed.
16. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Sun, 1/26/2014, 11:27AM EST
shaun341 wrote:
I think the Fallen Angel may make a good first smoke of the day cigar but definitely needs to be smoked with water as your beverage. I found it to be very mild in the flavor department. I wouldn't suggest it to most.

I also did not care for diesel wicked which should have been a smoke that I prefer more often then not. I though it was very airy.

I do like a few other diesels though and AJ blends outside of the diesel label.

+1
I got the FA torps and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe they will get better with time, but I expected more complexity and flavors.
17. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sun, 1/26/2014, 1:05PM EST
so is the spectre infused? Are they "smoking" the tobacco prior to rolling like they do latakia pipe tobacco? Pine seems like a bizarre flavor for a cigar...
18. Author: Plowboy221Date: Sun, 1/26/2014, 1:15PM EST
Finely found some info on the Spectre, a Latakia mix is actually used in the cigar.
19. Author: madaxemanDate: Sun, 1/26/2014, 1:40PM EST
Tried the Spectre ROTT. I enjoyed it. A bit of campfire taste, burned well, tons of smoke. Bought a box and don't regret it.
20. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sun, 1/26/2014, 2:14PM EST
gross... can not stand latakia... pretty sure Latakia is why English people have such horrible food.... the latakia fried their taste buds...
21. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Sun, 1/26/2014, 2:16PM EST
madaxeman wrote:
Tried the Spectre ROTT. I enjoyed it. A bit of campfire taste, burned well, tons of smoke. Bought a box and don't regret it.

a TON of people enjoy the campfire flavor in their pipe tobacco... I can definitely see it getting more popular with cigar smokers... I won't be one of them though...
22. Author: tonygrazDate: Sun, 1/26/2014, 4:40PM EST
Didn't like it in a pipe and probably wouldn't care for it in a cigar.
23. Author: hoyodudeDate: Mon, 1/27/2014, 12:43PM EST
I love latakia, can't wait to get my hands on one of these. I've had a few attempts in the past, I think DE's Acid line has one, but wasn't enough in it for me. Perique is also tremendous in cigars when used right, I've smoked a couple of those I loved. Just smoked my first Leccia Black which has fire-cured in it and loved it, can't wait to get more. I think we're going to see a bit more pipe tobacco being worked into cigars in the future, works for me as long as it isn't the cased crap.
24. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Mon, 1/27/2014, 1:27PM EST
Not a big fan of "infused" cigars... It's almost like they decided to give up on the art of blending and got their result another (artificial) way.
That's just MHO.
25. Author: shaun341Date: Mon, 1/27/2014, 2:23PM EST
Imo if I wanted to smoke pipe baccy I would smoke a pipe. Just another gimmick to sell smokes is the way I see it.
26. Author: hoyodudeDate: Mon, 1/27/2014, 5:19PM EST
I can't find any data anywhere that suggests Spectre is infused. If you are refering to the Latakia tobacco being in the blend - Latakia is not infused, it's smoked. It seems to me DE is getting accolades for using fire cured leaf in the MuWAT KFC... fire cured leaf is also a pipe tobacco. I'm in favor of trying these blends as I am also a pipe smoker and can see crossover appeal in both directions, I frequently add cigar tobacco to my pipe blends. Works both ways, IMO.

smoke what ya like...blahblahblah...
27. Author: Plowboy221Date: Mon, 1/27/2014, 5:24PM EST
^ go to pipes&cigars at the .com, they tell you about the whole cigar. Instead of a vague description.
28. Author: GhostTownDate: Mon, 1/27/2014, 5:24PM EST
I've been known to fit cigars into a beater corn cob pipe and smoke'em on the patio. In fact, it's the best way to salvage any flavor out of a stick that I previously wasn't enjoying.

29. Author: 99cobra2881Date: Thu, 1/30/2014, 6:21PM EST
Spectre robies x10 on sale over at the mothership for a few bucks more than what a fiver is going for here. I would jump but she says I'm cut off.
30. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Thu, 1/30/2014, 9:55PM EST
99cobra2881 wrote:
Spectre robies x10 on sale over at the mothership for a few bucks more than what a fiver is going for here. I would jump but she says I'm cut off.

Yup. Similar deal with PorknBeans' GranHabanners as well.
31. Author: TheSmokensipDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 12:44AM EST
Ya just gave into a 10 pack from JDD on CI.
I hope they are good.
32. Author: 99cobra2881Date: Fri, 1/31/2014, 7:59AM EST
TheSmokensip wrote:
Ya just gave into a 10 pack from JDD on CI.
I hope they are good.

If you don't like them. I'll trade with you for a few as I'd like to try them too. Herfing
33. Author: riverdogDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 9:06AM EST
09ChallengerDad wrote:
+1
I got the FA torps and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe they will get better with time, but I expected more complexity and flavors.

Have four more FA torps out of a fiver. I'll let them rest and revisit, but the first was a total bust - acrid, bitter, too soft on draw.... enough crap going on with it that I chucked it after an inch or less. And I'm generally a big AJ fan.
34. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 10:55AM EST
riverdog wrote:
Have four more FA torps out of a fiver. I'll let them rest and revisit, but the first was a total bust - acrid, bitter, too soft on draw.... enough crap going on with it that I chucked it after an inch or less. And I'm generally a big AJ fan.

Sorry to hear this. I didn't get any "off/bitter" flavors from it. I just thought it was a bit flat and may improve with age. I only had one, so it could have been an off day for my taste buds. It's happened before....
35. Author: hoyodudeDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 7:04PM EST
I smoked a Leccia Black rob the other day, they have fire cured tobacco in them, and loved it. Can't wait to get more.
36. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 7:29PM EST
hoyodude wrote:
I smoked a Leccia Black rob the other day, they have fire cured tobacco in them, and loved it. Can't wait to get more.

Good looking cigar. I'll have to add them to my "try 'em" list.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic