Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Save 'em or Toss 'em?
1. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 12:21PM EST
My brother got me into the habit of saving cigar rings. He puts his in an old candy container.
I've been saving mine in empty Yankee or Village Candle jars.
Does anyone else save the rings from their sticks?
2. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Fri, 1/31/2014, 12:34PM EST
most people save them for their first year of smoking and then realize there's no reason to do such a thing...
3. Author: dstiegerDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 12:38PM EST
Second 5 gallon glass wine bottle is almost full.
4. Author: recklessDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 12:38PM EST
Im planing on using mine to decorate a table or an ashtray but I end up tossing duplicates
5. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 12:47PM EST
dstieger wrote:
Second 5 gallon glass wine bottle is almost full.

I thought a Magnum was a big bottle!

reckless wrote:
Im planing on using mine to decorate a table or an ashtray but I end up tossing duplicates

I toss dupes too. A friend has his framed (Cubans in a separate frame) and hanging behind the bar in his man cave.
6. Author: z6joker9Date: Fri, 1/31/2014, 12:57PM EST
I have them stuff in old cigar boxes which are now stashed all over the house. I have no idea why I don't just throw them away. I keep saying I'll do something with them one day.
7. Author: cacmanDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 12:58PM EST
Brain specimen jar is packed.
8. Author: dstiegerDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 1:01PM EST
09ChallengerDad wrote:
I thought a Magnum was a big bottle!

I've picked up a couple old carboys at antique stores. Cool looking.
9. Author: recklessDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 1:07PM EST
09ChallengerDad wrote:

I toss dupes too. A friend has his framed (Cubans in a separate frame) and hanging behind the bar in his man cave.

See thats a cool idea with some meaning. I remember someone on here said their grandpa scrapbooked them and he found the one that he save from his first gar with a note about becoming a man... I dont remember who but that stuck with me.
10. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 1:12PM EST
reckless wrote:
See thats a cool idea with some meaning. I remember someone on here said their grandpa scrapbooked them and he found the one that he save from his first gar with a note about becoming a man... I dont remember who but that stuck with me.

It looks a lot better than I would have thought. He stole... excuse me, borrowed his wifes fabric glue and arranged them on a piece of black felt. The frames are a gold filigree - nice contrast to the felt. They look really sharp!
11. Author: BuckwheatDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 1:18PM EST
Saved mine on and off for years then just gave them away to someone here that was using them for a project.
12. Author: tonygrazDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 1:38PM EST
I throw them out before I even light the cigar- I have way too much crap as it is.
13. Author: kombat96Date: Fri, 1/31/2014, 2:20PM EST
Buckwheat wrote:
Saved mine on and off for years then just gave them away to someone here that was using them for a project.

Still haven't worked that out.

Map of Cuba with only cuba bands
14. Author: HockeyDadDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 2:27PM EST
I sell them back to the manufacturers so they can re-use them.
15. Author: daveincincyDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 2:32PM EST
They make good packing material for shipments. Herfing I got a bunch that way one time. I've saved many myself, stored in ziplock baggies and cigar boxes. For a while, when I'd look at all the cigar bands I had, I'd tell myself, "well, most were sent to me by someone else, I didn't smoke all of those" (i.e. denial). Then reality set in, and when I look at them I think, "dayum....I smoked all those?" d'oh!
16. Author: 99cobra2881Date: Fri, 1/31/2014, 3:14PM EST
I fold them in half with the logo displayed and then stick them up on the 4' fluorescent light housing above my work bench. It sits against the wall tipped out facing me, doing this gave me more light for when I'm doing machine work on my lathe. The cigar bands look nice there too.
17. Author: Propadope61Date: Fri, 1/31/2014, 3:44PM EST
SMOKE THEM
18. Author: Ilovetosmoke68Date: Fri, 1/31/2014, 3:47PM EST
Pitch them out.
19. Author: nolenDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 4:19PM EST
reckless wrote:

That's what I've done. I'm working on my second table right now. I've gone to junk stores and picked up some quality tables that were beat up - one was $7 (Lane) and one was $10 (Drexel). I've painted both black, then applied the labels and finished with polyurethane - 5 coats on the top, you can dump a glass of water on it and it's protected. Takes a lot of bands though, just a 14" round side table was 200 bands. It's sitting right next to my chair as I type, I look at it and have some great memories behind the bands.
20. Author: recklessDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 4:29PM EST
nolen wrote:
That's what I've done. I'm working on my second table right now. I've gone to junk stores and picked up some quality tables that were beat up - one was $7 (Lane) and one was $10 (Drexel). I've painted both black, then applied the labels and finished with polyurethane - 5 coats on the top, you can dump a glass of water on it and it's protected. Takes a lot of bands though, just a 14" round side table was 200 bands. It's sitting right next to my chair as I type, I look at it and have some great memories behind the bands.

Are the bands all together overlapping or spread out? Got a pic you can send?
21. Author: 09ChallengerDadDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 4:33PM EST
99cobra2881 wrote:
I fold them in half with the logo displayed and then stick them up on the 4' fluorescent light housing above my work bench. It sits against the wall tipped out facing me, doing this gave me more light for when I'm doing machine work on my lathe. The cigar bands look nice there too.

I had a few tucked into my bulletin board over my desk at work - mostly CC bands from my trip to the BVI. They didn't last long... a few of the guys who smoke would ask if they could have them. I guess they collected them too.
nolen wrote:

I've seen small/medium sized humidors that have had the same thing done to them. Reminds me of the old "steamer trunks" that folks put travel stickers on from wherever they went on vacation.
22. Author: 99cobra2881Date: Fri, 1/31/2014, 4:47PM EST
09ChallengerDad wrote:
I had a few tucked into my bulletin board over my desk at work - mostly CC bands from my trip to the BVI. They didn't last long... a few of the guys who smoke would ask if they could have them. I guess they collected them too.

I've seen small/medium sized humidors that have had the same thing done to them. Reminds me of the old "steamer trunks" that folks put travel stickers on from wherever they went on vacation.

Yup I also have a few stuck around the screen on my computer at work. Coworker and I carpool he suggested on the way home on Friday evenings we smoke. He burns a pipe and I bring a cigar. So we now have smokin' fridays Herfing
23. Author: nolenDate: Fri, 1/31/2014, 4:49PM EST

Steamer trunk is a great idea! I'll keep an eye out for one.

I overlapped them and placed them every which way. PM me, glad to send you a pic.

24. Author: 99cobra2881Date: Fri, 1/31/2014, 5:42PM EST
cacman wrote:
Brain specimen jar is packed.

Does it say abbie normal on the jar?
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic