Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
If you’re gonna be stupid you better be strong. ~ ZRX1200
1. Author: AbrignacDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 8:44PM EST
In the ER. Just got back from x-ray. Waiting to see how many broken ribs I have.

d'oh!
2. Author: victor809Date: Thu, 11/30/2017, 8:46PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
In the ER. Just got back from x-ray. Waiting to see how many broken ribs I have.

d'oh!

Sounds to me like you weren't strong enough.

What stupid thing did you do? Did you piss off your neighbor with your lawn clippings? If you got tackled by a 160lb middle aged guy I'm gonna laugh.
3. Author: DrafterXDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 8:47PM EST
He broke his ribs... Mellow
4. Author: AbrignacDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 9:02PM EST
Was halfway up an 8 foot ladder with a sawzall cutting a door header. Leaned over and the ladder twisted and started collapsing. Threw the sawzall out of the way. Chest landed on a 2x4. Felt like I got hit in the ribs with a sledge hammer.

IIRC the last three times I was seriously injured it was in the fall. Guess I need to hibernate between September and January. But, then I wouldn’t be able to replenish my Narco.

shoulder shrugg
5. Author: DrafterXDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 9:14PM EST
Should have taken a sledgehammer to the ladder a long time ago.. but you don't have to be told that now... Mellow
6. Author: Burner02Date: Thu, 11/30/2017, 9:17PM EST
You got to be strong if you are going to be stupid.

Glad you survived.
7. Author: tailgaterDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 9:43PM EST
I hope you at least said "Here. Hold my beer."

Sorry.
Just ribbing ya...

8. Author: MACSDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 9:44PM EST
The proper quote is...

Life is tough... it's tougher when you're stupid - My dad.

If you're looking for sympathy, you'll find it in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis - My mom.
9. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 11/30/2017, 9:55PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
Was halfway up an 8 foot ladder with a sawzall cutting a door header. Leaned over and the ladder twisted and started collapsing. Threw the sawzall out of the way. Chest landed on a 2x4. Felt like I got hit in the ribs with a sledge hammer.

IIRC the last three times I was seriously injured it was in the fall. Guess I need to hibernate between September and January. But, then I wouldn’t be able to replenish my Narco.

shoulder shrugg

you might have better luck if you call this time of year Autumn instead of Fall.
10. Author: AbrignacDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 10:00PM EST
The verdict:

1 fractured rib and a few cracked ones.

Just took a shot of morphine in the ass - goodnight.

Btw Frank, I believe you’re on to something.
11. Author: DrafterXDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 10:11PM EST
Sleep well.. sorry you're hurt man.. Mellow
12. Author: wvwa34Date: Thu, 11/30/2017, 10:29PM EST
Abrignac wrote:
The verdict:

1 fractured rib and a few cracked ones.

Just took a shot of morphine in the ass - goodnight.

Btw Frank, I believe you’re on to something.

Feelin your pain,,,rib injuries bad newz!!! Rest well...
13. Author: SmokeMonkeyDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 10:36PM EST
Heal quickly, Anthony!
14. Author: SpeysideDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 10:44PM EST
Very glad you weren't hurt worse. Sorry you are hurting though.
15. Author: AbrignacDate: Thu, 11/30/2017, 11:23PM EST
I ain’t feeling no pain right now.
16. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Fri, 12/1/2017, 12:05AM EST
Abrignac wrote:
I ain’t feeling no pain right now.

Buy yourself a good ace wrap and wrap up.
It's gonna be sore...........for a while.
17. Author: Ewok126Date: Fri, 12/1/2017, 1:07AM EST
Damn Anthony! Since noone asked the important question, I will.... Is the saw ok?

Seriously, Hope you get to feeling better brother!
18. Author: ZRX1200Date: Fri, 12/1/2017, 1:58AM EST
I broke my hand spanking a kid in our stairs last week! I Didn't Go To No ER.....I'm dumber than you thank god.
19. Author: ZRX1200Date: Fri, 12/1/2017, 1:59AM EST
Wait......you kept you fingers away from the sawsall right? You don't have many "extras" left ya know.
20. Author: deadeyedickDate: Fri, 12/1/2017, 7:18AM EST
Feeling the pain man. Broke two and had to sleep upright in a chair and do deep breathing exercises for a punctured lung once. Hope you heal quickly.
21. Author: Ewok126Date: Fri, 12/1/2017, 9:29AM EST
Not sure if it might help but after I had my chest cracked open they gave me a pillow to hold to my chest while coughing, deep breathing, also while sleeping. I have read that it also helps with broken or fractured ribs. Could give it a try I guess. Chitty part is now after a couple of years I can't sleep without it.
22. Author: BuckwheatDate: Fri, 12/1/2017, 10:05AM EST
Ant I hope you get well soon.
23. Author: Big_BearDate: Fri, 12/1/2017, 1:41PM EST
Safety Meetings are so boring!

= = = = = = = = = =

http://www.americanladderinstitute.org/?page=BasicLadderSafety

= = = = = = = = = =

Ladders are tools. Many of the basic safety rules that apply to most tools also apply to the safe use of a ladder:

If you feel tired or dizzy, or are prone to losing your balance, stay off the ladder.
Do not use ladders in high winds or storms.
Wear clean slip-resistant shoes. Shoes with leather soles are not appropriate for ladder use since they are not considered sufficiently slip resistant.
Before using a ladder,inspect it to confirm it is in good working condition.
Ladders with loose or missing parts must be rejected. Rickety ladders that sway or lean to the side must be rejected.
The ladder you select must be the right size for the job.
The Duty Rating of the ladder must be greater than the total weight of the climber,tools,supplies,and other objects placed upon the ladder. The length of the ladder must be sufficient so that the climber does not have to stand on the top rung or step.
When the ladder is set-up for use, it must be placed on firm level ground and without any type of slippery condition present at either the base or top support points.
Only one person at a time is permitted on a ladder unless the ladder is specifically designed for more than one climber (such as a Trestle Ladder).
Ladders must not be placed in front of closed doors that can open toward the ladder. The door must be blocked open, locked, or guarded.
Read the safety information labels on the ladder.
The on-product safety information is specific to the particular type of ladder on which it appears. The climber is not considered qualified or adequately trained to use the ladder until familiar with this information.

The Three Point-of-Contact Climb

Factors contributing to falls from ladders include haste, sudden movement, lack of attention, the condition of the ladder (worn or damaged), the user's age or physical condition, or both, and the user's footwear.

Although the user's weight or size typically does not increase the likelihood of a fall, improper climbing posture creates user clumsiness and may cause falls. Reduce your chances of falling during the climb by:
wearing slip-resistant shoes with heavy soles to prevent foot fatigue;
cleaning the soles of shoes to maximize traction;
using towlines, a tool belt or an assistant to convey materials so that the climbers hands are free when climbing;
climbing slowly and deliberately while avoiding sudden movements;
never attempting to move a ladder while standing on it;
keeping the center of your belt buckle (stomach) between the ladder side rails when climbing and while working. Do not overreach or lean while working so that you don't fall off the ladder sideways or pull the ladder over sideways while standing on it.

When climbing a ladder, it is safest to utilize Three Points-of-Contact because it minimizes the chances of slipping and falling from the ladder. At all times during ascent, descent, and working, the climber must face the ladder and have two hands and one foot, or two feet and one hand in contact with the ladder steps, rungs and/or side rails. In this way, the climber is not likely to become unstable in the event one limb slips during the climb. It is important to note that the climber must not carry any objects in either hand that can interfere with a firm grip on the ladder. Otherwise, Three Points-of-Contact with the ladder cannot be adequately maintained and the chance of falling is increased in the event a hand or foot slip occurs.
24. Author: delta1Date: Fri, 12/1/2017, 4:06PM EST
Dayum Ant. Hope you heal up quickly and good as new. I've personally ignored some of the safety standards for ladder use that Big Bear's post says...luckily I was able to regain balance before tipping over...
25. Author: Mr. JonesDate: Fri, 12/1/2017, 4:21PM EST
After 50....

Ladders are not anybody's friend.

How old are you...

You shoulda' "ducked and rolled"...

Sorry to here of your injury...
When the SSG ruffied my beer and I got a set up false DUI
I LOST my licence for 60?90? Days...
Had to ride my college racing bike everywhere...
I hit a pile of leaves way out in the road due to sun glare...
So @ 57 yrs old , I went HEAD OVER HEALS flying in the air...hit the grass on my ribcage..5 fractured ribs... I grinned and beared it for many months with Advil ...still road that bike...
Hurt like hell but I had to push it out of my mind...
26. Author: jespearDate: Fri, 12/1/2017, 11:04PM EST
Hope you heal quickly, my friend.
27. Author: 8trackdiscoDate: Fri, 12/1/2017, 11:15PM EST
Abrignac wrote:

d'oh!

I'm stupider than I am strong, but it's close.
28. Author: madspacklerDate: Sat, 12/2/2017, 12:21AM EST
Hope you heal quickly Anthony. Fell and broke my wrist a couple of years back during the icemageddon. Waited a week before going to see Dr. As I only thought it was strained. Anytime it gets cold I can really feel it. Broken ribs are not fun at all.

I hope you at least said “ Hey watch this” in true redneck fashion before you started up the ladder.
29. Author: PalamaDate: Sat, 12/2/2017, 12:45AM EST
Heal well my friend.
30. Author: bs_kwajDate: Sat, 12/2/2017, 11:06AM EST
Abrignac wrote:

IIRC the last three times I was seriously injured it was in the fall.

It's not the fall that'll kill ya... it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

Beer
31. Author: MojoFilterDate: Sat, 12/2/2017, 11:17AM EST
Could always be worse......

A Bricklayer’s Accident Report

Dear Sir:
I am responding to your request for additional information regarding how my recent injury occurred. In block No. 3 of your accident report form, I put “trying to do the job alone” as the cause of my accident. You said in your letter that I should explain more fully. I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I completed my work, I discovered that I had about 500 pounds of bricks left over. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley attached to the side of the building at the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at the ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out, and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the 500 pounds of bricks. You will note in block No. 2 of the accident report form that my weight is 135 pounds.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence-of-mind and did not let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate up the side of the building. Near the third floor, I met the barrel coming down. This explains my fractured skull and collarbone.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately by this time, I had regained my presence of mind allowing me to hold tightly to the rope in spite of my pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of bricks, the barrel then weighed approximately 50 pounds.

I refer you again to the information in block No. 2. As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building. Near the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles and the lacerations of my legs and lower body. The encounter of the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell onto the pile of bricks. Fortunately, only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay in pain on the bricks, unable to stand up and watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my presence of mind and let go of the rope. The empty barrel weighed more than the rope so it came down upon me and broke both of my legs. I hope I have furnished the additional information you required as to how the accident occurred.

Discussion Questions

What could have been done differently to prevent these injuries?

Do you evaluate the potential hazards of your actions in advance, and adjust or plan accordingly to prevent injury?
32. Author: bgzDate: Sat, 12/2/2017, 11:34AM EST
That sucks dude. That's why I don't do stupid chit on ladders... gravity is a b!tch.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic