Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev123NextLast
Time, space, and matter...
1. Author: MACSDate: Tue, 11/28/2017, 11:16PM EST
I found this answer very interesting. Spoiler alert... it's religious in nature, but for you short attention span types, it's barely over 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6AHcv19NIc
2. Author: jjaneckaDate: Tue, 11/28/2017, 11:23PM EST
That was a pretty solid answer despite quoting from the Bible.
3. Author: burnem2Date: Tue, 11/28/2017, 11:23PM EST
Evidently that answered his questions!!! Drops mic......
4. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 11/28/2017, 11:24PM EST
Comfort food for believers...
5. Author: jjaneckaDate: Tue, 11/28/2017, 11:33PM EST
It's funny how people can't comprehend the idea of a force being larger and more powerful than this universe.
6. Author: RMAN4443Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:00AM EST
jjanecka wrote:
It's funny how people can't comprehend the idea of a force being larger and more powerful than this universe.

I heard Superman is more powerful than a speeding locomotive Anxious
7. Author: BuckwheatDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 8:21AM EST
42 obviously. fog
8. Author: burnem2Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 8:28AM EST
jjanecka wrote:

And how they seem absolutely unable or unwilling to just let the topic pass by without commenting.
9. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 8:31AM EST
I’m glad the Catholic Church finally made up with Galileo Galilei.

The church and science can certainly compliment each other.
10. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 8:33AM EST
Burnem2 is that what you want? Lack of opposing views expressed?
11. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 8:41AM EST
teedubbya wrote:

I don't mind the differing viewpoints. What I dislike is when they feel that somehow your belief makes you weak minded, or intellectually inferior. It doesn't.
12. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 8:44AM EST
I’m with you there MACS. But I think there is some oversensitivity too.

Think of it this way, you have deep seeded beliefs. They really don’t.

13. Author: burnem2Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 9:31AM EST
teedubbya wrote:

No, opposing views are fine as long as they are respectful. In fact, they could start their own thread about being atheist/agnostic or whatever. Then I could choose whether I view it or not. I second what MACS had to say.
14. Author: jjaneckaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:03AM EST
What I find interesting is that even such great scientists such as Stephen Hawking cannot explain the creation of the universe without using circular logic in his theory of spontaneous creation.

My biggest gripe though, is when you look at Atheistic Governments, whether it be Atilla the Hun, Stalin, Mao, Kim Jung, there is a noticable line that is crossed in terms of human rights violations, genocide, and massive amounts of death.
15. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:15AM EST
jjanecka wrote:
My biggest gripe though, is when you look at Atheistic Governments, whether it be Atilla the Hun, Stalin, Mao, Kim Jung, there is a noticable line that is crossed in terms of human rights violations, genocide, and massive amounts of death.

Think

Maybe not being held accountable for living a crummy miserable existence leads one to do whatever they want to do in Life?

IDK...I've never met an atheist that wasn't an arrogant POS that felt compelled to tell you what they DON'T believe every chance they get. Kinda like vegans...only more slimy and degrading.
16. Author: dstiegerDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:22AM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:

IDK...I've never met an atheist that wasn't an arrogant POS that felt compelled to tell you what they DON'T believe every chance they get.

If you had...how would you know?
17. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:43AM EST
I don’t buy the start your own thread part. It fits here just fine.

But respect is a given no matter how much you wankers don’t deserve it.

WWCD?

Copernicus
18. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:48AM EST
dstieger wrote:
If you had...how would you know?

Because you have to hear their whine...until you walk away.
19. Author: burnem2Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:48AM EST
Alrighty then, let's have it here. I want one of the nonbelievers to defend their ideal. Tell me what's so great about being atheist, how you came to be that way, what YOU believe. Have at it...................
20. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 10:59AM EST
That's the wrong question.
If there is no evidence for a religion the default should be to not believe in it. That isn't "great" and it isn't some "ideal"... it's common sense. To do otherwise should be considered the outlier position which requires defending.
21. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 11:08AM EST
I dunno, Victor... if we're going to be logical, I believe I read somewhere that creation is more likely than the big bang if you go by mathematical equations, is that not so?
22. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 11:28AM EST
burnem2 wrote:
And how they seem absolutely unable or unwilling to just let the topic pass by without commenting.

I do love irony.

23. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 11:38AM EST
A vegan, a cross-fitter, and an atheist walk into the room.

I know this, because each told me so within 5 minutes.

24. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 11:47AM EST
Well, where do I start with this...

If God exists, and it exists outside of this universe, then why would it GAF about any individual little human on a tiny spec of matter occupying a tiny, arbitrary section of space... inside an almost as tiny section of space that contains trillions of tiny specs of matter that we refer to as stars.

It wouldn't.

Second, if this being exists outside of time and space and is unaffected by either nor affected by matter, then where do you define t = 0? The arbitrary point in time loosely defined in Genesis? And at that point, then time doesn't exist? So, chronologically when does this happen? Why? What events lead up to this decision (oh ya, time doesn't exist at that point, so no event could have lead to this point).

Basically, the guy didn't prove sh1t, and he certainly didn't make any claims that can be considered logical by any definition of the word. He just spoke in an authoritative manner on a subject that he knows about as much as any other human (zilch, nothing, nada)... but I admit, he did sound like he knew what he was talking about... almost as if he said that same exact speech many times over the past who knows how long.

Doesn't make him right, and certainly doesn't make him smart.

25. Author: dstiegerDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 11:54AM EST
burnem2 wrote:
Alrighty then, let's have it here. I want one of the nonbelievers to defend their ideal. Tell me what's so great about being atheist, how you came to be that way, what YOU believe. Have at it...................

burnem, to me, your questions appear to assume that belief/non-belief is a choice. To me, it isn't.

I wouldn't say that non-belief is an ideal in any way. In fact, believers have some great advantages -- belief in higher beings relieve many of personal responsibilities; it may give comfort in the 'finite-ness' of life; the sense of purpose that may come from doing 'churchy' things; the community that church provides, the ability to easily find group of like-minded people to share, socialize, etc.

I can only say, for me, that I can, in no way, conceive of a God...it just doesn't compute for me at all. I have the exact same reaction to someone's belief in God that I do to someone else's belief in ghosts, or witchcraft, or gangstalkers. Pick some belief that you have trouble accepting....cows as holy animals...or Scientologits Xenu bringing life to earth in spacecraft millions of years ago...or ancient religious human sacrifice...and examine your feeling or reaction to it. It will probably be the same as mine towards dieties.

I work pretty hard to respect beliefs, even if I can't comprehend them. But, admittedly, I don't always do a very good job of that. But, I do sense some harm, or at least waste in things such as prayer, or ritual forgiveness when remorse is lacking...or other things that result from religious believing.

I have issues with organized religion, as well, but that relationship is a bit more complicated. I fully acknowledge that much good comes of it. But, I'm not convinced that the sum total of goodness outweighs the bad....maybe its a wash, but while I might roll my eyes, I do otherwise try to respect those that are actually better for it.
26. Author: burnem2Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:06PM EST
Well thought out and articulated. I respect your position, though I obviously disagree. And thanks for taking the energy to actually respond.
27. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:09PM EST
MACS... what mathematical equation could you possibly be talking about?... how is one mathematically assessing the probability of creation?
28. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:12PM EST
burnem2 wrote:
Alrighty then, let's have it here. I want one of the nonbelievers to defend their ideal.

burnem2 wrote:
Tell me what's so great about being atheist

The most important ones, is we don't have to go to church every week, nor do we have to repent every time we fk up.

Basically we don't have to waste time thinking about what happens to us when we die nor do we waste time trying to please a being that may or may not exist.

burnem2 wrote:
How you came to be that way, what YOU believe. Have at it...................

Learned too much about math and science for one.

For two, it all sounds like bullsh1t to me, all of it. I've came up with possible ideas of how consciousness and the physical world interact, and have had people tell me that my ideas are sound and they could see them as reasonable (believers and non-believers).

Then the conversation usually ends when I say that I believe that no human could possibly have an answer or know such things and the probability that any human derived ideas are remotely close to correct are so near zero that the probability might as well be zero.

So I think all religious ideas are a load of sh1t, and my own ideas are no exception.

And generally speaking, I'm going to assume I'm smarter than the vast majority of people I meet regardless of their beliefs. Not due to arrogance, but just living enough life to know that it's usually true :P

(ok, ok, that last one was uncalled for:)
29. Author: cameroonDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:12PM EST
Return to forum without praying . . . at least to YOUR god
30. Author: jjaneckaDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:20PM EST
Dstieger, you touched on some pretty decent points and I feel like you and Victor are probably the two most level headed atheists on the boards.

I have a few atheist friends much with your veiwpoint and the belief in ghosts, some prayers, unconditional forgiveness, those are hard things for most people to accept.

Ghosts; all I can say, rationally, if you've seen the movie interstellar, and how that guy got stuck in space/time where all the spacial dimensions of time were mapped out, if a theory like that were true, would give validation to ghosts, purgatory and similiar states of existence/phenomenom.

Prayer, a lot of people ramble on with feelings and emotion in their prayer. I prefer the Catholic Methods. The Rosary and Divine Mercy, the Litany of Saints, just repeating the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be. Those are disciplinary prayers that lay the foundation for deep meditative thought where an individual repeats each statement and deeply ponders the meaning. Grant it, you could expand your deep thought process by other means but these repetive prayers are what propelled technology all the way into the era of reformation. They're also the prayers by which the Catholic Monsignor, Georges Lemaitre, used to meditate upon the issues within Physical Cosmology when he explained the theory of the "Big Bang." So to say prayer is a waste; I am a bit speculative of that assessment.

I am not familiar exactly with ritual forgiveness without true repentance and contriteness of heart.
31. Author: BuckwheatDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:22PM EST
jjanecka wrote:

I wonder what everyone here would have thought if the video was of an Iman quoting the Quran? My answer is and will always be 42.
32. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:23PM EST
Ghosts are peoples who's bodies were destroyed when they were out astral-projecting and stuff... Mellow
33. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:27PM EST
victor809 wrote:
MACS... what mathematical equation could you possibly be talking about?... how is one mathematically assessing the probability of creation?

Our existence on this planet, in this universe, as we are today... has a mathematical probability of almost zero. We shouldn't exist. Everything had to happen perfectly. If any of the scientific mathematical laws we know of was even off by a fraction of a fraction, we could not exist.

So the probability of us not existing is much, much higher than us existing. So to believe that the infinitesimal chance of our existence happened without influence is kinda crazy. Our existence as we are is mathematically akin to winning the lottery every day for a month straight. How does that happen without someone stacking the numbers each time?

Not sure if I explained it right, but that's the gist of it.
34. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:31PM EST
victor809 wrote:
That's the wrong question.
If there is no evidence for a religion the default should be to not believe in it. That isn't "great" and it isn't some "ideal"... it's common sense. To do otherwise should be considered the outlier position which requires defending.

You just made my point.

You want to not believe...just like Life and it's sanctity. Substitute the word religion with Life and there is the whine and the drain to it all.

I could never, even as a child wrap my mind around the notion that I'm going to believe in a nothing.
35. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:32PM EST
tailgater wrote:

Frying pan Frying pan Frying pan

whip
36. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:39PM EST
MACS wrote:
Our existence on this planet, in this universe, as we are today... has a mathematical probability of almost zero. We shouldn't exist. Everything had to happen perfectly. If any of the scientific mathematical laws we know of was even off by a fraction of a fraction, we could not exist.

So the probability of us not existing is much, much higher than us existing. So to believe that the infinitesimal chance of our existence happened without influence is kinda crazy. Our existence as we are is mathematically akin to winning the lottery every day for a month straight. How does that happen without someone stacking the numbers each time?

I agree, the probability of all the events that lead to life coming to be as it is on this planet was near zero (I think you're lottery analogy is probably a little higher of a probability than it actually is).

With that said, if it wasn't us, it would be someone else, if it wasn't here, it would be somewhere else.

I would say the probability of life existing elsewhere in this universe (or even this galaxy) is so near 100% that it's pretty much a certainty.

So the probability of hairless (almost hairless) apes coming to be on an arbitrary planet picked at random is very near 0.

Where the probability of any life coming to be on at least one planet of the subset of all planets that are not currently known to harbor life is near 100%.
37. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:44PM EST
MACS wrote:

.... there's too much missing to that MACS... way too much.

The absolute biggest flaw in the logic, is it is trying to map out the odds of us existing, and those being "low" (per that argument) is evidence that there must be a creator to initiate... but that creates a completely different system, one with a creator. Once you do that you have to add in some "odds" of a creator existing first to then create us. As a "creator" is not really defined, and there are no physical laws around it, there's no way of even semi-accurately assessing odds of its existence. The person making up your idea above is starting from a point where they make assumptions they simply cannot make (and still be making a good argument).

and that's just the main problem. there are secondary problems with the idea which fails to take into account the billions of different permutations of planets, conditions and the millions of years of planetary existence... all allowing for things with small odds of occurring many many opportunities to try. ie... there may be small odds of you rolling 10 die and getting 10 6's. But what if I gave you an entire year to re-roll as many times as you want. Do you think you'll probably hit 10 6s before the year is up?
38. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 12:48PM EST
DrMaddVibe wrote:
You just made my point.

You want to not believe...just like Life and it's sanctity. Substitute the word religion with Life and there is the whine and the drain to it all.

I could never, even as a child wrap my mind around the notion that I'm going to believe in a nothing.

huh.

your statement makes no sense. Your inability to wrap your head around the notion of believing in "a nothing" is not really anyone else's problem. (and more to the fact... what is "a nothing" and how does it relate to either religion or atheism?)....

because your mind can't conceive of something doesn't make you right. Just means you need to think harder.
39. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:01PM EST
Hehe.
It's funny when people try to prove they're really really smart by trying to prove someone else's faith has no merit.
They talk about probabilities and stats and sciency facts, all the while not knowing what the word "faith" means.

Religion is a concrete, man-made entity.
But faith and belief are not.

You may as well try to prove that eggplant is better tasting than steak.

I find it odd that atheists like to point out inconsistencies in faith as proof it's false. Yet contradictions in science are just a new vision based on the latest evidence.
It's OK for them to change their views based on new information. But it's not OK for a creationist (for example) to alter their view on how their god can coexist with scientific evidence on evolution. It's like they (the atheists) want to make the rules for what's OK to believe in.

40. Author: dstiegerDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:04PM EST
tailgater wrote:
Hehe.
It's funny when people try to prove they're really really smart by trying to prove someone else's faith has no merit.
They talk about probabilities and stats and sciency facts, all the while not knowing what the word "faith" means.

I find it odd that atheists like to point out inconsistencies in faith as proof it's false. Yet contradictions in science are just a new vision based on the latest evidence.
It's OK for them to change their views based on new information. But it's not OK for a creationist (for example) to alter their view on how their god can coexist with scientific evidence on evolution. It's like they (the atheists) want to make the rules for what's OK to believe in.

I was with you right up until the last sentence...because I think that it applies to everyone
41. Author: MACSDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:10PM EST
Tail... we all know that neither side can 'prove' they are correct. So it's all based on faith. On purpose.

The bible says God created us, and gave us free will to choose to believe in Him or not. If we could prove His existence, the free will would be gone. If He came down and tapped Victor on the shoulder and said, "Here I am"... Victor would no longer have a choice to dismiss Him.

Faith - belief without proof. We have faith that he exists, they have faith that He does not. Both arguments are based on what we 'believe to be true with zero proof'.
42. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:14PM EST
Check out 'The Privileged Planet'... not really proof of anything but very interesting stuff.... mainly our location and surroundings and how we're somewhat protected in the universe.. Mellow
43. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:17PM EST
tailgater wrote:
Hehe.

I have no qualms with what people of faith believe in. Because I choose to not have faith in a deity does not imply that I GAF what you believe in.

Also, as I've stated in the past, I do believe that the standard model of physics is missing things and that some of it could just be flat out wrong. Though I do have faith in the good scientists putting their heart and soul into advancing our scientific knowledge. I believe that in time our knowledge of the way the universe works will get better due to the hard work of all the dedicated scientists out there.

So to say that we have no faith is inaccurate, everyone has faith in something.

I choose to believe in the hard working people out there trying to expand our collective knowledge.
44. Author: bgzDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:22PM EST
Oh, and thanks MACS for starting this thread... I got sh1t to do ram27bat
45. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:31PM EST
MACS wrote:
Tail... we all know that neither side can 'prove' they are correct. So it's all based on faith. On purpose.

The bible says God created us, and gave us free will to choose to believe in Him or not. If we could prove His existence, the free will would be gone. If He came down and tapped Victor on the shoulder and said, "Here I am"... Victor would no longer have a choice to dismiss Him.

Faith - belief without proof. We have faith that he exists, they have faith that He does not. Both arguments are based on what we 'believe to be true with zero proof'.

I gotta say you're missing a step here MACS.
I understand what you're trying to get at, as it's a common argument among religious people, stating that an atheist is just having "faith" that there is no god.

But you're allowing yourself more flexibility than you really deserve.

The universe is enormously complex already. And we as humans are just trying to piece it together. As we figure out more about it, and provide evidence to its workings, we document that. That is science.

Science occasionally posits ideas about how the universe started. These are based on knowledge we have about physics. They are not set in stone, no one alters their day to day activities around it. Those who care look at the ideas, say "huh, that's interesting, makes sense... " and go about our days. If it's later proven to be wrong, we say "huh... guess we need more info" nothing about our lives is in any way altered.

Religion, however tries to fill in the gaps in our understanding (they used to be larger) with some single entity (I'm using christianity because that's most of the people here) which did everything we don't understand. You then alter your life in some way (prayer, church, behavior) to fit what you believe this god wants. You have faith, and you have to have faith, because your religion demands it. But more importantly, if your religion is shown to be incorrect, that DOES change your life. that is faith. Your actions are different because of your belief.

To equate both as "faith" is a fault many religious people have because they are unable to, or unwilling to look at the world through any lens other than that of a believer.

And, I'd like to point out (sidebar) ... you're correct. If your god came down today and proved his existence to me, I would have no choice but to believe in his existence. But I would not become religious. I have no desire, nor will I ever have any desire (barring some omnipotent being changing the fundamental wiring of my brain) to follow a deity which behaved in the manner described in the bible. I would choose not to follow him
46. Author: burnem2Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:33PM EST
Thanks for your relaying your personal beliefs and not just arguing for arguments sake, Ben. I respect your position and yeah, it kinda sucks having to repent for every time I **** up.....LOL!! I seem to do that a lot!!
47. Author: dstiegerDate: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:38PM EST
Buckwheat wrote:
I wonder what everyone here would have thought if the video was of an Iman quoting the Quran? My answer is and will always be 42.

This was rhetorical and probably dismissed by most who read it....but it relates to where my mind keeps going back to....

If I stood up and said that Bin Laden was right and is with his 72 virgins right now, I suspect that most believers here would have a problem accepting that statement. But, to me, it really isn't much (any?) different than saying 'live a good life and go to heaven'. If a jihadist faithfully believes that what his God expects, who are you to question his belief....or morality, even?

To expand a little on what I said above....the whole 'faith' part bothers me to a pretty great extent. I'm sure that some would argue the point, but I think that blind faith requires surrender of free will. I place a pretty high value on reason and free will, so the idea of unquestioning faith distresses me a lot. Despite MACS's protestation above, I do think that it is a symbol of weakness for many -- a cop out, even? Not for all, of course. Most who have truly contemplated why they believe what they do and have come to terms with it have exercised their free will and capacity to reason, even if I disagree with their conclusions. But, so much of religious dogma expects acceptance whether supported by reason or not...and that will always trouble me.
48. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 1:39PM EST
And I just want to throw out another point that always has bothered me.

Religious people always want to focus on the "beginning of the universe" as their linchpin for why science is wrong and they're right. It's irritating in its lack of logic.

Science not being able to prove without a doubt how the universe started, or what was there before the universe, is not evidence of a god. Once you've added a god to the mix, you are just as responsible for identifying what came before that god as science is for identifying what came before the big bang (or other theory). Religion of course refuses to do this, as it would imply that their deity is not eternal, but that's simply not an excuse. It weakens any religious argument, to not be willing to probe the boundaries of the deity, and indicates an unwillingness to think critically about your own faith.
49. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:13PM EST
tailgater wrote:

LOL LOL LOL
50. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 11/29/2017, 2:16PM EST
Given the age of the universe, the mathematical improbabilities of random occurrences all combining to create life as we exist seem to not be as impossible as assumed. One hundred million to one odds seem pretty decent when that probability is compared to the age of the universe: 13-14 billion years. In that time span those random occurrences could've happened thousands of times.

Honestly, I don't think any of us are intelligent enough to fathom creation, or what existed before creation. Our body of knowledge and understanding is based on no more than a few thousand years of discovery. Our astrophysical body of knowledge is really in its infancy, using tools and technology developed over only a few hundred years. Our knowledge is limited to what we've observed from a minuscule and stationary peephole into the broad expanse. We don't really know all that we don't know, and it is possible that some things will remain unknowable.

We attain knowledge from all previous collective experiences of mankind, and given the short history of intelligent societies using written language, our body of knowledge is pretty small. So we must fill that void of understanding with faith. Faith requires us to believe what some other man tells us, when we all know from our own experiences that every man that ever was, is, has flaws. So I am skeptical, but will not judge nor belittle those who believe. I can't argue, when in fact I agree, when believers say there must be a higher being that can be called the Creator, a deity, a God. I accept that there must be, and also accept that I have no idea what the nature of the creator is.

Where I part company with those who believe is when they want me to believe that their set of beliefs, and their professors are the only authentic ones. If that brings them comfort, then I am happy for them. I am happy and have comfort eating bitter melon in black bean sauce with beef - most people I know hate that stuff - and I wouldn't try to change that.
FirstPrev123NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic