Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
FirstPrev12NextLast
This week's gun control argument in a nutshell:
1. Author: cacmanDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 4:30PM EST
Because government failed at every level, you need to have your rights curtailed… by the government that just failed at every level.

Yep, that makes sense.
2. Author: teedubbyaDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 4:34PM EST
The beauty of it is when you get to frame someone else’s argument in a way that suits you you always win the argument in your mind and don’t teally have to think or listen.
3. Author: rfenstDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 4:41PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
The beauty of it is when you get to frame someone else’s argument in a way that suits you you always win the argument in your mind and don’t teally have to think or listen.

LOL!
4. Author: bgzDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 4:45PM EST
teedubbya wrote:

Or check for typos.
5. Author: HuckFinnDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 6:25PM EST
So we need more government? Because better government ain't happening.

*Thinking and listening went the way of the Donald. I mean dodo.
6. Author: BrewhaDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 8:42PM EST
Trump is taking this seriously, very seriously.
And action is needed, badly needed, in a big way.

He is just waiting for the NRA to tell him what to do......
7. Author: Gene363Date: Mon, 2/26/2018, 10:54PM EST
cacman wrote:
Because government failed at every level, you need to have your rights curtailed… by the government that just failed at every level.

Yep, that makes sense.

Yup, and the gun control advocates a take a flying leap.
8. Author: SpeysideDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 11:04PM EST
So what do you propose should be done? I am willing to listen and consider. Do you want teachers armed? What do you want to legislate into action so when red flags keep popping up we can legally do something? Do you just want existing laws enforced? And I am being serious here.
9. Author: Chop HelmkeDate: Mon, 2/26/2018, 11:10PM EST
🤣
10. Author: Gene363Date: Tue, 2/27/2018, 12:10AM EST
Speyside wrote:
So what do you propose should be done? I am willing to listen and consider. Do you want teachers armed? What do you want to legislate into action so when red flags keep popping up we can legally do something? Do you just want existing laws enforced? And I am being serious here.

The existing laws are already too restrictive so nothing new is required. Enforcement? Yes, absolutely. Arming teachers should be up to individual states, for a few, it would be good, administrators too, IMO. No Federal laws required.

Aside from gun laws, legislation to temporarily or permanently take weapons from a nutter would be great, however, it has to be ordered by a Judge, not at the whim of law enforcement.

11. Author: tailgaterDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 9:11AM EST
Why do people keep asking what should be done?

We're ignoring the laws that are on our books, but hope new laws will solve things?

The pure definition of insanity.

12. Author: tailgaterDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 9:12AM EST
Edit.
Or just read Gene's post #10.
Because I responded prematurely.

Story of my life.

13. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 2/27/2018, 2:35PM EST
tailgater wrote:
Edit.
Or just read Gene's post #10.
Because I responded prematurely.

Story of my life.

did ya get any on ya?
14. Author: SpeysideDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 4:52PM EST
TG, do you think before pontificate? Your comments are bordering on the theatre of the absurd. Clearly we have no workable answer at present. I ask a legitimate question without any animus. I state that I am willing to listen. I state that I am serious. Then you make a ridiculous assumption. I have no answers to this. I am interested in opinions. Are you capable of s logical discussion? If so then I would like to hear your answer.
15. Author: fiddler898Date: Tue, 2/27/2018, 6:40PM EST
Sadly, it can’t be reduced to a nutshell. That’s when every side becomes laughably simplistic
16. Author: DrafterXDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 7:01PM EST
Stronger background checks..
Mental facilities for those that can't pass...
Outlaw bump-stocks...
Raise the age to purchase assault rifles...
Put armed guards in schools..

All stuff on da table... All out ban is not on table tho.. therefore, the Left will kill everything... Then blame the Right... Mellow
17. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 2/27/2018, 7:13PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
Stronger background checks..
Mental facilities for those that can't pass...
Outlaw bump-stocks...
Raise the age to purchase assault rifles...
Put armed guards in schools..

All stuff on da table... All out ban is not on table tho.. therefore, the Left will kill everything... Then blame the Right... Mellow

here's what's on the table:

Trump- I'll push upping the age and outlawing bump stocks, you scream as though it's the worst thing evah.

NRA- okie dokie
18. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 2/27/2018, 7:19PM EST
I jumped off the gun control bandwagon in the aftermath of the Las Vegas bloodbath. I figured the battle was futile, that the gun owners of America had prevailed and that there were so many guns in private ownership now that trying to legislate reductions of guns is futile, a waste of time and effort. The numbers of people killed in mass shootings didn't seem to amount to a hill of beans...

After that incident, Sutherland and Orlando and Sandyhook and all the mass shootings ...those who don't think any restrictions is worth considering or necessary have not budged and will never budge...most likely never will until it becomes personal...when someone they know and love has been affected by a mass shooting...only then will some minds be changed...but by then the ship will have sailed even farther from the safe harbor of shore...

I disagree with the NRA spokesperson about "crying white mothers" motivating the media...she should be more interested in how the conversation is being changed by those students who watched their classmates get killed, were shot at themselves and yet survived and are speaking out about their safety...will our youth be able to change any minds or move the discussion?
19. Author: bgzDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 7:25PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
here's what's on the table:

Trump- I'll push upping the age and outlawing bump stocks, you scream as though it's the worst thing evah.

NRA- okie dokie

lol frank (really!), I envisioned something similar. I pictured Trump actually sitting there talking them into it first, then them going along with it...

Anyway, I had a similar idea.
20. Author: frankj1Date: Tue, 2/27/2018, 7:50PM EST
bgz wrote:
lol frank (really!), I envisioned something similar. I pictured Trump actually sitting there talking them into it first, then them going along with it...

Anyway, I had a similar idea.

pretty sure it's known I am not for taking guns, but I had to laff (sorry Frank) when I heard this yuuuuge proposal.
Just a way of NRA doing nothing and yet looking like they are willing to concede.
21. Author: SpeysideDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 11:32PM EST
3rd person, I kinda like it. So is it Frankj1 to Frankj1? Or Frankj1 to Frankj2?
22. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:02AM EST
delta1 wrote:

I disagree with the NRA spokesperson about "crying white mothers" motivating the media...she should be more interested in how the conversation is being changed by those students who watched their classmates get killed, were shot at themselves and yet survived and are speaking out about their safety...will our youth be able to change any minds or move the discussion?

“I’m going to say something that some people are going to say is controversial,” she said, the Daily Caller reported. “So I’ll say it really slowly, so all the people on the platform in the back can hear me loud and clear. Many in the legacy media love mass shootings. You guys love it. Now, I’m not saying you love the tragedy, but I am saying that you love the ratings. Crying white mothers are ratings gold to you and many in the legacy media in the back.”

“Notice I said ‘crying white mothers,’ because there are thousands of grieving black mothers in Chicago every weekend — and you don’t see town halls for them, do you?” she continued. “Where’s the CNN town hall for Chicago?”

The Windy City recorded 3,457 shooting victims and 650 murders in 2017.

That's what she said. There is NOTHING to disagree with. She is 100% accurate and correct.

CNN has already been found to be pushing an agenda into the child victims hands to parrot.

The children I've seen in the media are disrespectful. They will have no impact on gun bans. The adults already know what works and it's not banning guns.

23. Author: SpeysideDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:37AM EST
Doc, I am not suggesting taking away guns, but I do have a question for you. What is it that works? As I have stated a couple of times I am more than willing to listen to ideas. As far as I can tell nothing has been working.
24. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 1:28PM EST
Speyside wrote:
3rd person, I kinda like it. So is it Frankj1 to Frankj1? Or Frankj1 to Frankj2?

good question. let me ask the others.
25. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 1:36PM EST
Speyside wrote:
TG, do you think before pontificate? Your comments are bordering on the theatre of the absurd. Clearly we have no workable answer at present. I ask a legitimate question without any animus. I state that I am willing to listen. I state that I am serious. Then you make a ridiculous assumption. I have no answers to this. I am interested in opinions. Are you capable of s logical discussion? If so then I would like to hear your answer.

I do pontificate. Often. And rarely post-thinking.
But I don't think I did in this thread?

All I said was "enforce our existing laws".

If we can't start there, then don't waste my time making up NEW laws.

Once we do that we can give honest consideration to all viewpoints.
If it's me?
1. gun show loop hole.
2. Minimum age. maybe only for certain gun types or caliber.
3. training to go along with a license for certain gun types.

We already have background checks. Enforce them (see my original comments)
We already have waiting periods, don't we? Isn't the Brady Bill still a thing? Enforce it.

We can't go down the slippery slope of banning the AR-15 because it looks more menacing than other magazine capable semi-automatic rifles.
We can't think that limiting the magazine capacity will do anything. I can't have a 30 round mag? OK. I'll take three of those 10 round mags. Then people will want to ban how many of those you have. or the number of bullets.
And most of this becomes moot once metal 3D printers fall in price.

So let's get back to what we should do now.
Enforce the laws.
Displace the marajuana dealers in our prisons with today's gun violators. Make owning an illegal weapon NOT worth it. Stop punishing the law abiding legal gun owners.

We don't put a breathalizer interlock on YOUR car just because some drunk crashed his own.

26. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 1:41PM EST
There have been plenty of town halls about the Chicago (and other inner city) issues. There is also a lot of time and attention spent on it. I myself have worked on some of those projects on the periphery.

Onsie twosie murders while horrible are usually just local news no matter where they are at..... unless there is something unusual or maccab about them. Just a fact of life and more based on what you the consumer reward.

Mass killings are certainly less usual (duh) although happen more than they should and more than anywhere else. Why they wouldn't be news is beyond me. Duh.

Conflating the two is meaningless and diversionary. Focus on both if you like but don't use one to fog the other.

27. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 1:43PM EST
delta1 wrote:
I jumped off the gun control bandwagon in the aftermath of the Las Vegas bloodbath.

...will our youth be able to change any minds or move the discussion?

many were disgusted by the student uprisings that led to the end of the long, senseless, and tragic Viet Nam War.

there are times in history when apathetic youth are awakened by something that directly affects them. This political alarm clock may have been tripped for this young generation. We'll be able to assess it historically in a few years.
28. Author: HuckFinnDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 1:58PM EST
Seems today (Wednesday) Diick's Sporting Goods stores are 'enacting tougher gun sale restrictions'
And are going to stop selling assault type weapons.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/******-s-sporting-goods-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles-n851881
29. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 2:00PM EST
I wonder how many people buy this type of thing from Dix anyway
30. Author: dstiegerDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 2:10PM EST
Right. Dix quit being a sportsman's store years ago. I'd bet all the money is in the soccer/golf/little league crowd -- and this may appeal to a good sized suburban section of that population
31. Author: BuckwheatDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 2:22PM EST
tailgater wrote:

If it's me?
1. gun show loop hole.

We already have waiting periods, don't we? Isn't the Brady Bill still a thing? Enforce it.

We can't go down the slippery slope of banning the AR-15 because it looks more menacing than other magazine capable semi-automatic rifles.
We can't think that limiting the magazine capacity will do anything. I can't have a 30 round mag? OK. I'll take three of those 10 round mags. Then people will want to ban how many of those you have. or the number of bullets.

Enforce the laws.
Displace the marajuana dealers in our prisons with today's gun violators. Make owning an illegal weapon NOT worth it. Stop punishing the law abiding legal gun owners.

We don't put a breathalizer interlock on YOUR car just because some drunk crashed his own.

For once I agree with and follow your points. =d> fog
32. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 2:27PM EST
We don't have waiting lists in many/most states
What do you think the gun show loophole is. I'm not being snarky. It's just some think its one thing others think its another.
What about private sales not at a gun show.

etc.

I get it though tail. pretty reasonable approach.
33. Author: tailgaterDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 2:46PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
We don't have waiting lists in many/most states
What do you think the gun show loophole is. I'm not being snarky. It's just some think its one thing others think its another.
What about private sales not at a gun show.

etc.

I get it though tail. pretty reasonable approach.

Your points reinforce my original intent. We can't even look at any "reasonable" suggestions until we enforce our existing laws first.

So you're saying the Reagan era Brady Bill isn't a federal thing? Or just that gun shows and private sales don't apply?

I've never purchased a firearm so I have no idea what I would need to do.
According to Michael Moore I could just open a checking account at a bank outside the Columbine High School...
34. Author: victor809Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 2:49PM EST
Tail.. I could be wrong (someone with more information please call me an idiot if I am), but I believe that private sales are not controlled in any way...
ie... if I wanted a gun, I could just go to TW and offer him cash for one of his. He then sells it to me and I walk away. I believe that is actually legal. There may be a registration you are expected to file by mail to indicate ownership change (? is this correct?) but I don't believe anything stops the sale at the front end.
35. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 3:05PM EST
Private sales are mostly unregulated...it varies from state to state, but in the majority of places the transaction between two private citizens, as you describe between you and TW, is legal. Some states require those transactions to occur with a licensed dealer, others require a background check, some prohibit sales to residents of other states...

here's a source for the various restrictions by state: http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/private-gun-sale-laws-by-state.html

this hodgepodge of state laws is why it's called a loophole, where states that have stronger laws for gun owners are at the mercy of those that do not...
36. Author: cacmanDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 3:06PM EST
delta1 wrote:
here's a source for the various restrictions by state: http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/private-gun-sale-laws-by-state.html

Was just going to post that link.
ThumpUp
37. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 3:17PM EST
Tail - i was just saying the "gun show loophole" is often misunderstood and I don't always know what folks are referring to. I always think about it in the context of private sales vs FFL sales but some think of it as something else. If its private sales vs FFL (professional if you will) sales then I don't consider it a gun show loophole. Its like having swap meet, craigs list or garage sale type of deal. The gun show just happens to be where it happens on that day.

Gun Show loohole is just more catchy and anti gun to me and sounds worse than it is. It really should be regulate private sales.

But I'm no expert and don't know if when some folks say gun show loophole if there really is something specific to gun shows they are targeting other than the private sales but that's a harder sale. Gun show loophole is evil. Private sale is American.

As for waiting list.... some states like Cali have one. Otherwise nope. Unless you are delayed for some reason on your NICS check you get your gun instantly. Its an instant check if it works right. You should get Proceed, Deny or Delayed. Delayed can be up to 3 days, and then if there is still no Proceed or Deny the FFL can technically release the gun. Many will not because of liability and its a pain if it ultimately goes to deny and the ATF has to go hound things down.

If I remember correctly (not gonna look it up) the san bernadino killer gun store legally released a weapon during a delay and was tied up in court about it for a lot of time and $$. They did nothing wrong, but sometimes the expense of proving it is enough to discourage others from doing the same. My FFL will not release any guns during a longer than 3 day delay (even though they can) for that very reason. I think Dix and Walmart have made that same decision.

If denied you can appeal, but the obama admin removed all the agents from the appeal process thus creating a black hole and removing guns from folks hands administratively.
38. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 5:28PM EST
dstieger wrote:
Right. Dix quit being a sportsman's store years ago. I'd bet all the money is in the soccer/golf/little league crowd -- and this may appeal to a good sized suburban section of that population

thought I heard they were making this move because they actually sold a gun to the kid a year ago...it was not used in the FL massacre but they are questioning why this could have happened so easily.
39. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 5:30PM EST
tailgater wrote:

If it's me?
1. gun show loop hole.

Enforce the laws.

good stuff. was so used to a punch line I had to reread. Like.
40. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:07PM EST
At gunshows you see tables with signs say 'private collection' every so often.. cash sales, no background check
.. could be the loophole.. but there's nothing stopping the guy walking around with a for sale sign on his rifle either... Like it was said, no different than buying from your neighbor or out of the bargain shopper or garage sale... if it's a loophole they'll never be able to close it... Mellow
41. Author: SpeysideDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:09PM EST
Well written Joe, makes sense. And yes, like.
42. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:25PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
At gunshows you see tables with signs say 'private collection' every so often.. cash sales, no background check
.. could be the loophole.. but there's nothing stopping the guy walking around with a for sale sign on his rifle either... Like it was said, no different than buying from your neighbor or out of the bargain shopper or garage sale... if it's a loophole they'll never be able to close it... Mellow

may not prevent, but would allow prosecution if and when caught.

I'd like to see jail for people who have guns stolen too.
43. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:36PM EST
I dunno. I have a rifle my dad’s dad bought from his neighbor in the 1950s. They all hunted and swapped and sold guns frequently. My cousins still do. Are we suggesting if I want to sell a rifle to my neighbor I need to do a background check, receipt, paperwork etc? That’s a pretty substantial change from the way my dad, and I were brought up. My dad gave me that gun a few years ago. Does he have to do the background check etc?

44. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:45PM EST
teedubbya wrote:
I dunno. I have a rifle my dad’s dad bought from his neighbor in the 1950s. They all hunted and swapped and sold guns frequently. My cousins still do. Are we suggesting if I want to sell a rifle to my neighbor I need to do a background check, receipt, paperwork etc? That’s a pretty substantial change from the way my dad, and I were brought up. My dad gave me that gun a few years ago. Does he have to do the background check etc?

they ain't neighbors anymore.
45. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:57PM EST
tailgater wrote:

If it's me?
1. gun show loop hole.

Enforce the laws.

You missed one major bullet...make gun laws uniform throughout the US. Some states don't even meet your basic regulations re background checks, waiting periods, gun safety training...that would be a good starting point.
46. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:58PM EST
Ya, no more passing guns down thru generations.. if you die your collection has to be confiscated and destroyed... Mellow
47. Author: delta1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:00PM EST
we could use more musket loaders right about now...
48. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:02PM EST
I've got a couple muzzleloader/ black powders... Mellow
49. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 9:26PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
I've got a couple muzzleloader/ black powders... Mellow

any for sale?
50. Author: SpeysideDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 9:34PM EST
Depends if you want paper work or not. At least that's what I heard.
FirstPrev12NextLast
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic