Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
US v. Microsoft
1. Author: dstiegerDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 2:03PM EST
Anyone else fascinated by this case? Looking forward to see what they say.

Microsoft was issued a search warrant for a drug dealer's emails. Microsoft said "We'd like to help, but the ones you're looking for happen to be on our Ireland server. Your warrant is useless."

Crazy chit....the cloud is anywhere and everywhere....but if it can also be only in one very specific place, if it suits your needs.
2. Author: Hank_The_TankDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 2:04PM EST
nope
3. Author: KingoftheCoveDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 2:39PM EST
I'm actually more fascinated by the FBIs investigation of NCAA basketball.
Why?
Where?
When?
How?
Who?

The media doesn't really know how to cover it, and ESPN has sure kept a low profile.
Probably just a big waste of money...
Or, the beginning of a new era in college sports.
I hope it's the latter, because the NCAA is simply a disgraceful institution.
4. Author: dstiegerDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 2:51PM EST
Didn't even know about it. NCAA Basketball? Is it March already?
5. Author: BuckwheatDate: Tue, 2/27/2018, 3:00PM EST
KingoftheCove wrote:
I'm actually more fascinated by the FBIs investigation of NCAA basketball.
Why?
Where?
When?
How?
Who?

The media doesn't really know how to cover it, and ESPN has sure kept a low profile.
Probably just a big waste of money...
Or, the beginning of a new era in college sports.
I hope it's the latter, because the NCAA is simply a disgraceful institution.

+1

From a University of Louisville Alumni!!
ram27bat
6. Author: delta1Date: Tue, 2/27/2018, 3:29PM EST
it'll be interesting to see if the case even touches the NCAA, let alone bring it down...it will spotlight that the sums being used to lure athletes to colleges is miniscule compared to what the NCAA and major colleges rake in from football and basketball...

Another scandal that nobody seems to care about is how much income the US IOC generates and pays its managers and how little of that goes to athletes and support programs.ram27bat
7. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:49AM EST
M$ already lost a case with the US.

They were forced to turn over the "keys" to the kingdom.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

I can't imagine them winning this either.
8. Author: rfenstDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 10:29AM EST
dstieger wrote:
Anyone else fascinated by this case? Looking forward to see what they say.

Microsoft was issued a search warrant for a drug dealer's emails. Microsoft said "We'd like to help, but the ones you're looking for happen to be on our Ireland server. Your warrant is useless."

Crazy chit....the cloud is anywhere and everywhere....but if it can also be only in one very specific place, if it suits your needs.

Microsoft should "win".
9. Author: dstiegerDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 10:37AM EST
I've got mixed feelings. I think MS argument is weak. 'Valid' US warrant for US citizen data held by US company --- I think location of the hardware that holds the 1's and 0's is irrelevant in 2018.

On the other hand, I'm generally supportive of court rulings that uphold privacy claims by citizens and companies.

I think MS's concerns that European countries might get pizzed if the data is moved are weak.....maybe not unfounded, but not relevant here - at least not in a legal way
10. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 5:43PM EST
The simple approach would be, give it up:

Microsoft has a big bag of data in which they store email. The opening to the bag is in the US, it doesn't really matter if the bag flops over into another country, USA Microsoft is in the US and they control the opening.
11. Author: teedubbyaDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 5:58PM EST
We would need to know the laws of doing business in Ireland however. Our laws don't necessarily trump theirs if there is a specific prohibition regardless of what our courts say.
12. Author: MACSDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 6:00PM EST
Already heard the NCAA investigation is racist... because it's targeting basketball and football, predominantly black athlete sports.

You can't make this stuff up...
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic