Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
armed teachers in schools? what could go wrong?
1. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:58PM EST
in another thread I replied to the discussion about arming teachers:

"betcha the percent of teachers who either are already dealing with mental illness (and many people deal well) or wake up to a Dear John/Joan letter and snap is the same as the rest of the population."

sadly, that didn't take long.

I also added that no sane person should suggest we arm every citizen to be safer...or words to that effect.

2. Author: RobertHivelyDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:08PM EST
They already armed them in a county close to where I live. Bet they wont have any "drills" in that county...
3. Author: DrafterXDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:21PM EST
Sounds fishy to me... He was trying to make a point not hurt anyone.. Mellow
4. Author: ZRX1200Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:22PM EST
Frank are you talking about the anti gun loon that barricaded herself in the classroom then fired one round into an empty field? Not strange timing or anything.......*cough*
5. Author: RobertHivelyDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:22PM EST
Read my post again...

To avoid confusion...

They (The school district) already armed the teachers in a county close to where I live. Bet they (Homeland Security etc) wont have any "drills" in that county.
6. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:39PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
Frank are you talking about the anti gun loon that barricaded herself in the classroom then fired one round into an empty field? Not strange timing or anything.......*cough*

frankj1 wrote:
"betcha the percent of teachers who either are already dealing with mental illness (and many people deal well) or wake up to a Dear John/Joan letter and snap is the same as the rest of the population."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/28/georgia-teacher-custody-after-police-say-he-fired-shot-empty-classroom/381955002/

just pointing out the potential to make things worse, assuming teachers are like the population in general. and it's exactly the teachers who are loons that I am worried about.

Want I should send you something for that cough? You know I would. HA!
7. Author: SpeysideDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:43PM EST
Z how do you know he is an anti gun nut? Crystal ball or Tarot cards? No news source I find seems to know anything at this point. Though a lot of people will instantly agree with you about the timing. There are a lot of conspiracy theorist nuts out there. Its hard to take you seriously. Could you be right? Certainly. Have you provided any facts or logic? No.
8. Author: cacmanDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:44PM EST
Sad story. Sounds more like an attempt to commit suicide.
At least he forced the students out of the classroom.
9. Author: RobertHivelyDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 8:49PM EST
Speyside wrote:
Z how do you know he is an anti gun nut? Crystal ball or Tarot cards? No news source I find seems to know anything at this point. Though a lot of people will instantly agree with you about the timing. There are a lot of conspiracy theorist nuts out there. Its hard to take you seriously. Could you be right? Certainly. Have you provided any facts or logic? No.

Yeah there are. That's why I am a coincidence theorist. There are dozens of ways to charge everyday people on conspiracy; but no matter how much evidence is gathered on the government it's a coincidence. Wink
10. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 9:36PM EST
cacman wrote:
Sad story. Sounds more like an attempt to commit suicide.
At least he forced the students out of the classroom.

yeah, and admittedly I haven't read or heard much more about this...but imagine a teacher barricading a full classroom.

No first responders, no armed school guard, no amount of drills could stop that carnage.

An insane armed teacher would do much more damage than any crazed student.

Lets arm Honor Students too?

No guns in school.
11. Author: Ewok126Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 12:29AM EST
^^^ I got to agree with that totally.

Thing is no matter what title one has from Teacher, NASA Cosmologist, President. When you put people in the mix things go wrong. People flip, freak, break, do stupid stuffs intentional or not.

On all our fingers and toes, I still can't count how many teachers I know that are pissed at their wages and how they are done wrong. Worry every day how they are going to make ends meet and feed their families. Pissed at our current POTUS, Mad cause people will not accept their current lesbian or gay agendas etc. Not the type of folks I want carrying a Gun around kids.

I knew a Dr that just flipped chit and robbed a Bank and was caught giving out all the money on the sidewalk in front of the bank he just robbed at gunpoint. I also know two others Dr's that commited suicide. All 3 was stand up guys in the community and no one had a clue that they was going to snap.

When these folks lose it they don't care about Laws in play, They don't care how hard it is to get their hands on a weapon of choice if it be an AR, Shotgun, a car, butcher knife,or even a ball bat etc. All they care about is their feelings and emotion. Thus they act.

I really feel that the problem is not the guns. I feel it is the people. It is the ones that are not stable enough to take on daily life for most. Also I feel that the number is growing. One fact about a person that is set on commiting suicide. If a person is serious about doing such and you try to stop them they WILL try to kill you to accomplish their goal.

I think the issues with the folks that flip and do these mass shootings is not much different. Teachers included.

I got off on a tangent my apologies.
12. Author: Phil222Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 1:06AM EST
Many cops fail to make the correct decisions in tense situations, and now we are to trust random civilians with minimal training to do this around kids? How long before one of these teachers shoots an unarmed kid because "they felt their life was in danger," or "the student was being noncompliant."

Start the clock...

I guess Florida is moving forward with this. Just saw where they approved $67 million in spending to train teachers to carry guns. You really can't make this stuff up...
13. Author: Ewok126Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 2:58AM EST
Phil222 wrote:
How long before one of these teachers shoots an unarmed kid because "they felt their life was in danger," or "the student was being noncompliant."

Start the clock...

I guess Florida is moving forward with this. Just saw where they approved $67 million in spending to train teachers to carry guns. You really can't make this stuff up...

Then there will be an incident where a black teacher shot a white child or a white teacher shot a black child.

(EDIT) I actually got worried that someone might take offense to the race I listed first or second in the above sentence, So let me rephrase.

Then there will be an incident to where a teacher of one race will shoot a child of another race (DANG I hate having to walk on eggshells all the freaking time)

Then the next thing you know:

People will start to boycott WalMart and Target because they sell school paper and its racist.

Groups will go nuts because they have some picture of a teacher that did blah blah blah 100 years ago hanging in a school.

It will become a racist thing when enough people raise hell and want the picture removed.

Skaters will start kneeling at the start of "Cinderella on Ice" in protest for da chridrens shot by teachers.

The POTUS at that time will pitch a fit about kneeling during the chidren show.

Someone will get ran over with a segway and killed at a passive protest while said picture is being removed.

Laws will be introduced to limit segways and make it hard to get one.

Segway tour guides will forum a group called NSA wanting to keep segways easy to get for everyone.

More mass murders by drive by run over with segways

NSA gets blamed for paying off gubment officials and death of chridrens.

People will go nuts even further and start stating that we need more laws on who can and who can't have a segway or removal of segways all together.

Mass's will die at schools and events due to segway murders by some nut that got through the cracks and built his segway from scratch.

Whoever is POTUS at the time will say that if he/she/it had a segway and was there how great they would have been in action saving all those people.

Then we will have a state that will invest millions on training their teachers how to properly use a Segway but yet never realize that 1/3 of those teachers are bat chit crazy.

All the while Ewok will be sitting back going "Damn I never would have thought people as a whole would have gotten this retarded"

Then we start all over again and years down the road after I am dead and gone someone will say.

"You remember that ewok dude that was F'ed up in the head. Well that MF was right." Of course this is right before they get shot in the ear with an airsoft pistol by some kid of the opposite race one yard over playing cops and robbers and some freak of nature thing happens and the person that got shot in the ear dies.

New laws are made and next thing you know we have adults that can only have Pinwheels to blow on for fun minus the stick cause its a weapon.

Sad part is even though I am being sarcastic and trying to be funny, Not so much on how I view things as a whole. I do feel that the majority have become this dang crazy. But, I only have 3/4ths of a brain left and fall subject to the powers that be so meh.
14. Author: shaun341Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 8:18AM EST
Ewok126 wrote:
^^^ I got to agree with that totally.

Thing is no matter what title one has from Teacher, NASA Cosmologist, President. When you put people in the mix things go wrong. People flip, freak, break, do stupid stuffs intentional or not.

On all our fingers and toes, I still can't count how many teachers I know that are pissed at their wages and how they are done wrong. Worry every day how they are going to make ends meet and feed their families. Pissed at our current POTUS, Mad cause people will not accept their current lesbian or gay agendas etc. Not the type of folks I want carrying a Gun around kids.

I knew a Dr that just flipped chit and robbed a Bank and was caught giving out all the money on the sidewalk in front of the bank he just robbed at gunpoint. I also know two others Dr's that commited suicide. All 3 was stand up guys in the community and no one had a clue that they was going to snap.

When these folks lose it they don't care about Laws in play, They don't care how hard it is to get their hands on a weapon of choice if it be an AR, Shotgun, a car, butcher knife,or even a ball bat etc. All they care about is their feelings and emotion. Thus they act.

I really feel that the problem is not the guns. I feel it is the people. It is the ones that are not stable enough to take on daily life for most. Also I feel that the number is growing. One fact about a person that is set on commiting suicide. If a person is serious about doing such and you try to stop them they WILL try to kill you to accomplish their goal.

I think the issues with the folks that flip and do these mass shootings is not much different. Teachers included.

I got off on a tangent my apologies.

We just had a local Dr. commit suicide in prison after confessing to hiring a Pagan to kill his wife and spilling the beans on a prescription drug ring he was contributing to through the biker gang. Dr. James Kauffman if anyone wants to google it, very disturbing piece.

I feel it is impossible to protect everyone from every situation that could possibly happen. Like it or not there are just some tragedies that we will not be able to stop. Arming teachers or taking guns away from everyone will never be the answer. If these people want to cause the pain and suffering they will find a way. It's not that I don't feel for these people that lose loved ones in these tragic events, it is that we cannot constructively impose our morals through drastic measures on those that are not able or willing to understand them.

15. Author: shaun341Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 8:25AM EST
Another thing I think this country could use is some positive reinforcement. Instead of the media talking about tragedies for weeks on end and nothing else, lets talk about the people that are doing great things in our communities for weeks on end instead of a 5 minute segment that never gets repeated. Make the good in people news and how to get your name recognized in this country and take what some may recognize as glamour completely out of these tragic events.
16. Author: jespearDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 8:27AM EST
shaun341 wrote:
We just had a local Dr. commit suicide in prison after confessing to hiring a Pagan to kill his wife and spilling the beans on a prescription drug ring he was contributing to through the biker gang. Dr. James Kauffman if anyone wants to google it, very disturbing piece.

I feel it is impossible to protect everyone from every situation that could possibly happen. Like it or not there are just some tragedies that we will not be able to stop. Arming teachers or taking guns away from everyone will never be the answer. If these people want to cause the pain and suffering they will find a way. It's not that I don't feel for these people that lose loved ones in these tragic events, it is that we cannot constructively impose our morals through drastic measures on those that are not able or willing to understand them.

Couldn't agree more, Shaun !
17. Author: rfenstDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 8:51AM EST
No armed teachers for now. Two armed officers at each school. One single entrance with a metal detector and facial recognition equipment (like on a cruise ship).
18. Author: dstiegerDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 9:58AM EST
Snapped teacher is a possibility. My first thought was a student pulling a loaded gun from a teacher's purse.
19. Author: tailgaterDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 10:06AM EST
For those who dismiss the idea of allowing teachers to carry, I have a question.

How many of those students/faculty/parents in Parkland Florida would have wanted one of those teachers to have a firearm that day?

Serious question.

Because I would NEVER suggest that we make it a rule to "force" teachers to carry.
But if teachers volunteered. And were trained. And certified. Maybe deputized??

20. Author: ZRX1200Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 10:21AM EST
And now we're already reporting that the teacher was fit, but then he's been reported missing, said he hired a hitman, said he'd hurt himself and was on multiple depression meds. When has the media reported depression meds? Yeah.....
21. Author: cacmanDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 10:30AM EST
A Florida House committee approved the bill that would create a program that allows teachers who receive law enforcement training and are deputized by the local sheriff's office to carry concealed weapons in the classroom if also approved by the school district.

Why should teachers not be allowed to exercise their constitutional right to bear arms?

Let's just hope they are not deputized by the same Coward County Sheriff whose trained police officers sat on their azz and did nothing to save a single life.
22. Author: dstiegerDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 10:30AM EST
tailgater wrote:
For those who dismiss the idea of allowing teachers to carry, I have a question.

How many of those students/faculty/parents in Parkland Florida would have wanted one of those teachers to have a firearm that day?

Serious question.

Because I would NEVER suggest that we make it a rule to "force" teachers to carry.
But if teachers volunteered. And were trained. And certified. Maybe deputized??

Despite the risk I mentioned, I do think its worthy of consideration. I'm just a little uneasy about the voluntary nature of it. I, too, don't want to force any teachers to carry. On the other hand, when something's voluntary, do you get the results you're looking for? If no teachers in a targeted building are armed, you're back where you started -- unless the possibility is enough of a deterrent (no idea if that'd be the case.) Just need to have some awareness of risks --- a teacher that kills an innocent in background during a gunfight (even if many casualties are prevented), or a student getting a hold of a teacher's weapon, or a teacher who is armed, but freezes (or hides outside?)....are they held somewhat culpable for mounting casualties...the first teacher that shoots a kid with a ACTUAL Nintendo duck gun (or Airsoft AR)....etc. All minor, maybe nearly non-existent risks, but risks nonetheless.
23. Author: Gene363Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 10:42AM EST
Question

How do the qualifications for a police officer differ from those for a teacher? Not theoretical qualifications, actual qualification requirements. I'm guessing a background check and some sort of degree for teachers. For the typical police officer, a high school diploma, maybe a physical standard and probably a background check. Keep in mind, not all officers go to a police academy.
24. Author: Gene363Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 10:47AM EST
dstieger wrote:
Despite the risk I mentioned, I do think its worthy of consideration. I'm just a little uneasy about the voluntary nature of it. I, too, don't want to force any teachers to carry. On the other hand, when something's voluntary, do you get the results you're looking for? If no teachers in a targeted building are armed, you're back where you started -- unless the possibility is enough of a deterrent (no idea if that'd be the case.) Just need to have some awareness of risks --- a teacher that kills an innocent in background during a gunfight (even if many casualties are prevented), or a student getting a hold of a teacher's weapon, or a teacher who is armed, but freezes (or hides outside?)....are they held somewhat culpable for mounting casualties...the first teacher that shoots a kid with a ACTUAL Nintendo duck gun (or Airsoft AR)....etc. All minor, maybe nearly non-existent risks, but risks nonetheless.

Good concerns, but the idea that any given teacher or administrator 'may' be armed is the deterrent. The criminals have to guess.

Carrying is a very big responsibility, even more for a teacher. Armed teachers should be the last line of defense, armed police and access controls protecting the school should be the front line.
25. Author: SpeysideDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 10:51AM EST
Joe, my opinion is similar to Dave's. I do not think I can state it better than he did. If this does go into effect I would like to see rigorous national standards for operational standards, certifying, and training including ongoing training.
26. Author: dstiegerDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 10:53AM EST
Gene363 wrote:
Question

How do the qualifications for a police officer differ from those for a teacher? Not theoretical qualifications, actual qualification requirements. I'm guessing a background check and some sort of degree for teachers. For the typical police officer, a high school diploma, maybe a physical standard and probably a background check. Keep in mind, not all officers go to a police academy.

I've no idea what the written qualifications are for either. But, to generalize greatly, I think the mental qualification requires pulling from entirely different pools. The mental/emotional skillset required to be prepared square up with truly bad dudes daily is not necessarily going to be found in the typical nurturing teacher-type....maybe in some school districts there's less of a gap, though
27. Author: teedubbyaDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 10:59AM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
And now we're already reporting that the teacher was fit, but then he's been reported missing, said he hired a hitman, said he'd hurt himself and was on multiple depression meds. When has the media reported depression meds? Yeah.....

you sure seem to have a lot of intel
28. Author: ZRX1200Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 11:01AM EST
"Reporting"

Where do you think I'd get that intel? MSM BTW .....
29. Author: cacmanDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 11:30AM EST
Gene363 wrote:
Good concerns, but the idea that any given teacher or administrator 'may' be armed is the deterrent. The criminals have to guess.

Carrying is a very big responsibility, even more for a teacher. Armed teachers should be the last line of defense, armed police and access controls protecting the school should be the front line.

My kids had to walk through metal detectors to enter Middle and High School, with 3 armed officers inspecting bags and using the wand. Not only looking for weapons but also drugs.

A high school kid stood on the street and fired at his gang rivals waiting in line to enter the school.

We also had to walk through metal detectors just to watch my daughter perform in the band during football games. I was refused entry to the stadium because of a 1" Victorinox pen knife and 1" plastic 9-ball on my key chain. Was told they where both considered "weapons".

Bad people will do bad things. There's no preventing it.
30. Author: Gene363Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 11:32AM EST
dstieger wrote:
I've no idea what the written qualifications are for either. But, to generalize greatly, I think the mental qualification requires pulling from entirely different pools. The mental/emotional skillset required to be prepared square up with truly bad dudes daily is not necessarily going to be found in the typical nurturing teacher-type....maybe in some school districts there's less of a gap, though

Theoretical and logical ideas, but many small police forces cannot afford to be picky because of the low pay they offer, the same reason they can afford a through screening process. Schools are not much better for the same reasons.

In reality, we rely more on the intent of the applicants to be applicable to the job.
31. Author: Gene363Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 11:41AM EST
cacman wrote:
My kids had to walk through metal detectors to enter Middle and High School, with 3 armed officers inspecting bags and using the wand. Not only looking for weapons but also drugs.

A high school kid stood on the street and fired at his gang rivals waiting in line to enter the school.

We also had to walk through metal detectors just to watch my daughter perform in the band during football games. I was refused entry to the stadium because of a 1" Victorinox pen knife and 1" plastic 9-ball on my key chain. Was told they where both considered "weapons".

True, but you can make it a little harder for bad people.

Eliminating gun free zones with the right controls would allow a permit holder to carry. I got called for jury duty and went through the same nonsense. I left my house key hidden on my truck with my pocket knife and firearm, but everyone had to remove their belts and send them through the X-ray machine. I was appalled and said, "I guess you like to see old man struggle getting his belt back on." the three officers at the scanning station were not amused. FWIW, I consider our kids more important than judges.
32. Author: teedubbyaDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 11:50AM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
"Reporting"

Where do you think I'd get that intel? MSM BTW .....

I'm only saying you usually seem to have a lot of information that normally doesn't hit the lame stream media.
33. Author: frankj1Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 1:44PM EST
Gene363 wrote:

I'm feeling like "criminals" is a term for mostly rational people who plan and execute crimes. Yes, they would be deterred from stuff like robbing certain banks etc.

I'm also feeling like mass murderers who are under the control of various mental illnesses, complexes, out of control emotions etc. very possibly would not react in the normal way you suggest...just my opinion.
34. Author: RMAN4443Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 1:52PM EST
cacman wrote:

I was not allowed into court with my keys, because I have a P-38 can opener on my key ring. I asked why not and the court officer said "because it could be used as a weapon". I laughed because I thought he was joking......I told him I have keys on my key ring that would make better weapons......he said I would need to remove the p-38 can opener and leave it out in my car.
When I came back in I had to go through the entry process again, and was allowed in. After gaining entry, I took a few steps and then asked him why all the fuss about a little can opener, which would never even enter my mind as a weapon, but your going to let me in with a full length sharpened pencil and a ball point pen in plain sight and easy access in my shirt pocket........before I ever tried to use the little can opener, don't you think I would drive my pen or pencil into someone's eye or ear and call it a day? He looked at me like I was insane, but didn't have an answer for me.....Think
35. Author: Cathcam13Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 1:56PM EST
Opinions are all I see, let me remind you, it wasn’t until after they made schools a “Gun Free Zone” that these things began to happen. Those are the facts. Also, one individual armed has stopped multiple shootings like this in the past. I don’t condone violence of any kind, but if you want the next generation to reach their 40’s, there needs to be some radical changes in how and what they are taught in school. My 9 year old son was taught about how to perform “anal” sex with a willing partner in sex Ed. Such things shouldn’t be taught before High school, in my opinion. That was here in Oregon, by the way. Some of the other curriculum is very sketchy, at best. I put him in a private school shortly after.
36. Author: Burner02Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 2:21PM EST
RMAN4443 wrote:
I was not allowed into court with my keys, because I have a P-38 can opener on my key ring. I asked why not and the court officer said "because it could be used as a weapon".

Had the same happen to me over a Xikar Cigar Multi-Tool.

Had to walk three blocks back to the car.

ram27bat
37. Author: teedubbyaDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 2:38PM EST
Causality is a lost art.
38. Author: Ewok126Date: Thu, 3/1/2018, 5:40PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
I'm feeling like "criminals" is a term for mostly rational people who plan and execute crimes. Yes, they would be deterred from stuff like robbing certain banks etc.

I'm also feeling like mass murderers who are under the control of various mental illnesses, complexes, out of control emotions etc. very possibly would not react in the normal way you suggest...just my opinion.

I have to agree, Example:

Capital punishment is a legal penalty in the U.S. state of Florida. Since 1976, the state has executed 96 convicted murderers, all at Florida State Prison. As of February 24, 2018, 346 offenders are awaiting execution. There is NO AGE LIMIT.

What more deterrent could there be. A 19 year old committed 17 murders. There is a great possibility that he could lose his life either my injection or electrocution.

It did not "deter" him from his goal. Death by bullet, Death by injection, Death by electrocution. Honestly I would think that a well placed shot to the head would be better way to die than either of the later but still it did not cross his mind. He did not care how or if he died in the process. In order for a deterrent to work one has to have rational thinking. Rational thinking was taken off the table when he planned and executed his goal.

Now if a teacher lets say was armed yes there is a possibility that it could have cut down the amount of casualties. They could have taken him out before he got to number 17. Second thing that must be considered is what door are we opening if all teachers volunteer or not to carry and be trained for such. Then we have a well trained nut job on how to use a weapon and execute actions that could be even more devastating than that of this 19 year old kid. To add to it WE are then absolutely responsible for sure vs the actions of one crazy person that was not trained and acted on their own. We trained that one nut job teacher and gave them a weapon to do their bidding. I just feel like this is asking for more trouble with greater loss unless we can without a shadow of a doubt say that the teachers will never snap. I do not think that is humanly possible.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic