Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
Man, NJ S*cks!
1. Author: Mrs. dpnewellDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 5:37PM EST
A couple years ago, I shut down my contracting business, to work full time on totally renovating my NJ home, my deceased Father's home and my NC home. I bought my Chevy Silverado from my company, and registered it in my name. The truck has ladder racks.

NJ likes to set up on road vehicle check points to look for outdated inspection stickers. A few days ago I got stuck in one. The young, wet behind the ears cop stopped me. He wanted to know why I did not have commercial tags and company signs on my truck. I told him that I was "retired" (I'm 60) and that the truck was registered as a personal vehicle. He told me to pull over to the side so they could ticket me. I again explained to him that I had purchased the vehicle from my closed down buisness, that I was now retired, and the vehicle was for personal use. He said that he didn't care. Pull over for a ticket. Thankfully, an older NJ Motor Vehicle Officer had overheard the exchange, and told me to "move on", above the protests of the local cop.

So, now I guess it's against the law to put ladder racks on your personal pickup truck in NJ. I sure hope this house sells fast, so I can get out of this blasted state for good.

David
2. Author: Ewok126Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 5:41PM EST
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
A couple years ago, I shut down my contracting business, to work full time on totally renovating my NJ home, my deceased Father's home and my NC home. I bought my Chevy Silverado from my company, and registered it in my name. The truck has ladder racks.

NJ likes to set up on road vehicle check points to look for outdated inspection stickers. A few days ago I got stuck in one. The young, wet behind the ears cop stopped me. He wanted to know why I did not have commercial tags and company signs on my truck. I told him that I was "retired" (I'm 60) and that the truck was registered as a personal vehicle. He told me to pull over to the side so they could ticket me. I again explained to him that I had purchased the vehicle from my closed down buisness, that I was now retired, and the vehicle was for personal use. He said that he didn't care. Pull over for a ticket. Thankfully, an older NJ Motor Vehicle Officer had overheard the exchange, and told me to "move on", above the protests of the local cop.

So, now I guess it's against the law to put ladder racks on your personal pickup truck in NJ. I sure hope this house sells fast, so I can get out of this blasted state for good.

David

Good Luck David, In NC you won't have that crap to worry or deal with.
3. Author: Gene363Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 5:47PM EST
The government loves to take away your rights and sell them back to you. It wouldn't surprise me if a city/county representative showed up at one of your projects and asked for your city contractor license.
4. Author: shaun341Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 6:36PM EST
New Jersey does make people want to leave, but they try to charge you for that as well.
5. Author: opelmanta1900Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:03PM EST
Move to California... you'll be thankful for what you had...
6. Author: Cathcam13Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 7:45PM EST
Sell them all and move to Oregon. It’s definitely an outdoorsman’s paradise.
7. Author: SpeysideDate: Wed, 2/28/2018, 9:23PM EST
Be very afraid of Oregon. There is a river with a van there. Yes, be very afraid.
8. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 9:43PM EST
Cathcam13 wrote:
Sell them all and move to Oregon. It’s definitely an outdoorsman’s paradise.

he's nevah leaving North Cackalacky!
9. Author: Ewok126Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 11:02PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
he's nevah leaving North Cackalacky!

Worst mistake I ever made in my life. I thought I was going back eventually but life took its turn and well the rest is hx.
10. Author: frankj1Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 11:14PM EST
James Taylor had a sweet song
11. Author: Ewok126Date: Wed, 2/28/2018, 11:25PM EST
^^^

https://goo.gl/T7Z3Gs
12. Author: Hank_The_TankDate: Thu, 3/1/2018, 12:19PM EST
That is because Jersey is the gooch of the US. I would never want to go there...right behind that is Boston. ugh
13. Author: Mrs. dpnewellDate: Fri, 3/2/2018, 12:16PM EST
opelmanta1900 wrote:
Move to California... you'll be thankful for what you had...

Joel, US News and World Reports just rated the 50 states. In "Quality of Life" California ranked 50th. Guess which state ranked 49th? Yeap, New Jersey. So, we may have things better here, but not by very much.

David
14. Author: Mrs. dpnewellDate: Fri, 3/2/2018, 12:30PM EST
shaun341 wrote:
New Jersey does make people want to leave, but they try to charge you for that as well.

Yes, the good old, fabled "NJ Exit Tax". It is true that if you are leaving the state, the state withholds 8% of the expected Capital Gains from the sale of your home at settlement. What many don't know, is that if you then file a non-resident tax return the following year, the state must refund what they withheld. Problem is, most don't know to file the return, or just plain forget, so they end up forfeiting what was withheld. So there really isn't an "Exit Tax", but I can see how that story came to life.

We're moving in with my sister for about an hour before we run for the border, so at settlement we'll technically still be residents of NJ and therefore avoid the withholding.
15. Author: delta1Date: Fri, 3/2/2018, 2:06PM EST
I hope that the US News and World Report's ranking of CA as "worst in quality of life" has a desired effect: convince a bunch of people to move out!!!

Reminds me of Yogi Berra..."nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

Texas, Illinois and Indiana were in the bottom along with NJ.

Guess which were the best in quality of life: North Dakota ranked first followed by Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and South Dakota.
16. Author: ForMudDate: Fri, 3/2/2018, 4:04PM EST
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:
Yes, the good old, fabled "NJ Exit Tax". It is true that if you are leaving the state, the state withholds 8% of the expected Capital Gains from the sale of your home at settlement. What many don't know, is that if you then file a non-resident tax return the following year, the state must refund what they withheld. Problem is, most don't know to file the return, or just plain forget, so they end up forfeiting what was withheld. So there really isn't an "Exit Tax", but I can see how that story came to life.

We're moving in with my sister for about an hour before we run for the border, so at settlement we'll technically still be residents of NJ and therefore avoid the withholding.

Delaware charges you a $6 toll to use the bridge to get out too..........Money well spent.
17. Author: shaun341Date: Fri, 3/2/2018, 5:41PM EST
Mrs. dpnewell wrote:

That is good info because I did not know that. I could use it in the future as well. Once my daughter goes to college I don't want to be in this state anymore. My entire family hates it here except for the fact we are all here.
18. Author: RMAN4443Date: Fri, 3/2/2018, 5:56PM EST
delta1 wrote:
I hope that the US News and World Report's ranking of CA as "worst in quality of life" has a desired effect: convince a bunch of people to move out!!!

Reminds me of Yogi Berra..."nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

Texas, Illinois and Indiana were in the bottom along with NJ.

Guess which were the best in quality of life: North Dakota ranked first followed by Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and South Dakota.

Yeah NH =d> =d> we're #4........almost as good as Avis
19. Author: bassman45Date: Fri, 3/2/2018, 6:06PM EST
The only good thing about N.J. is Meadowlands Racetrack🏇
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic