Recent PostsForum Rules
Next Topic Sign In to ReplyPrev Topic
How do you light up when torches are not an option?
1. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 3:24PM EST
As much as I love my triple torch for toasting and lighting and an additional single flame for touching up I am going on a cruise in a month and the TSA does not abide by torches.

With that said, what do you use? Long Matches or a Bic/Butane soft flame?

Right now I am thinking of bringing a couple of bics for lighting (I am also a cigarette smoker) and matches for toasting. Thoughts?
2. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sat, 12/21/2019, 3:26PM EST
Like NWA said “F*** the police” I drain the butane and throw it in my shave kit in my check in bag.

Bic is fine.
3. Author: danmdevriesDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 3:28PM EST
Bic lighter.
4. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 3:38PM EST
ZRX1200 wrote:
Like NWA said “F*** the police” I drain the butane and throw it in my shave kit in my check in bag.

Bic is fine.

danmdevries wrote:
Bic lighter.

Yep, that's what I assumed. And if the TSA rules as they are written are to be followed that limits me to 1 BIC for the carry on and 1 BIC in checked baggage. Additionally, you are limited to 1 pack of matches in checked which is why I was thinking 1 pack of long matches for toasting and 2x Bics for my filthy cigarettes and finishing up cigar lighting.

I believe I spend about 30 seconds to a minute toasting which may or may not be too long but I try to avoid touching the foot with the flame during this time. One of my favorite reviewers (StudnickaAquatics) is a match purist and super laid back older guy but I can only bring a single box of matches according to TSA regulations.

Are there any downsides to using matches for toasting and a soft butane flame for finishing up?
5. Author: SunoverbeachDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 3:41PM EST
I use a Bic in a pinch, but last couple of trips I stashed a half dozen cheap torches throughout my luggage figuring some would get through. Haven't lost a single one so far
6. Author: izonfireDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 3:48PM EST
Tittums wrote:
How do you light up when torches are not an option?

With something other than a torch
7. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 3:48PM EST
Sunoverbeach wrote:
I use a Bic in a pinch, but last couple of trips I stashed a half dozen cheap torches throughout my luggage figuring some would get through. Haven't lost a single one so far

Yeah, I have heard of people getting away with it but I am a cheap a$$ and there isn't much reliable under $8 for torches. They steal those lighters all the time. I am still kicking myself for paying $8 for a single freaking beer in the MIA TGI Fridays (the only place past security where you can smoke at MIA).

American Airlines screwed me once again on my return flight to Tampa so I am going to be picking up some 100MLs of whatever decent whiskey I can find to drink in bathrooms while enduring a 8 hour layover. Cheers to the 3-3-1 rule! You better believe I will be drinking to that.
8. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 3:53PM EST
izonfire wrote:
With something other than a torch

It'd be nice to go full torch past TSA but you never go full torch past TSA.

Thank you for your insight. You reminded me I need to watch Tropic Thunder. (Yes, I have not watched it yet).
9. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 12/21/2019, 4:17PM EST
where ya cruising?
10. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 4:26PM EST
frankj1 wrote:
where ya cruising?

https://i.imgur.com/8us0Ejd.png

The company did the same exact cruise last year, which is when I fell in love with cigars. So it's kind of an anniversary for me.
11. Author: Pudding MittensDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 4:29PM EST
There's a product for precisely this situation. It's a torch minus the gas tank. The "gas tank" is actually a BIC-style lighter, so the torch part is basically a "BIC-to-torch converter".

Apparently if you carry them separately, not attached to each other, it's TSA legal. Do your homework and check to be sure though, don't take my word for it. I don't fly and have no idea about TSA technicalities.

I believe it comes with one or two BIC-style lighters with a gas valve on the bottom, basically refillable BIC-style lighters, but if I remember right, you can buy regular disposables and plug them in, too.

Hope this helps. I forget what it's called, but search a bit and you'll find it I'm sure.
12. Author: clintCigarDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 4:32PM EST
I pack my cigar locker in my checked bag and it has 4 torch lighters full of butane and they don't say shiit. And they search that bag every time b/c I always have the TSA search paper notice in it.
13. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 4:37PM EST
clintCigar wrote:
I pack my cigar locker in my checked bag and it has 4 torch lighters full of butane and they don't say shiit. And they search that bag every time b/c I always have the TSA search paper notice in it.

That is interesting if you never have issues. The official TSA site says they are a tight anal "no" about torches.

Pudding Mittens wrote:
Apparently if you carry them separately, not attached to each other, it's TSA legal. Do your homework and check to be sure though, don't take my word for it. I don't fly and have no idea about TSA technicalities.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold anything against anyone who gives advice which is why I was searching for alternatives to torches or in this case converting to torches. If I am being completely honest here, I have always wanted to try matches "like the older guys" but I never had an excuse to try them until now.
14. Author: danmdevriesDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 4:38PM EST
Tittums wrote:
Yeah, I have heard of people getting away with it but I am a cheap a$$ and there isn't much reliable under $8 for torches.

Search Amazon for "Eagle torch lighter" 5 pack for $10 ish.

I haven't used anything else for years. Refillable too, but cheap enough that if it quits who cares.

I've had a Ronson Jetline in my carryon bags on four flights BTW.
15. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 4:41PM EST
danmdevries wrote:
Search Amazon for "Eagle torch lighter" 5 pack for $10 ish.

I haven't used anything else for years. Refillable too, but cheap enough that if it quits who cares.

I've had a Ronson Jetline in my carryon bags on four flights BTW.

I will probably grab some of these when buying some matches since I do like single torch touch up lighters. 5 for $10 is definitely in my "don't care if I lose one" price range.
16. Author: victor809Date: Sat, 12/21/2019, 5:03PM EST
I've used an electric burner from a stove before in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend it.
17. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 5:27PM EST
victor809 wrote:
I've used an electric burner from a stove before in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Heh... Even if the TSA allowed that I already know it's on Norwegian's if not most cruise lines banned items list. Thank you for the input though, I always do value your input. Still waiting for some suggestions for salt solutions other than 70% and 65% in my other post.
18. Author: victor809Date: Sat, 12/21/2019, 5:31PM EST
Well I wasn't suggesting you take a stove with you... :) But if there's one at your destination, I recommend using something else.
19. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 5:36PM EST
I always pack 3-4 empty Ronson Jetlites in my luggage and a can of butane(I use Power not that cheap schit that ruins lighters) in my shave kit.Looks perfectly normal since I do not use canned shave cream.I cannot remember how many trips in the 15 years I have done this.You'll never find me anywhere without a torch.I wish I had half of the ones back I've left on some bar in Vegas.
20. Author: DrMaddVibeDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 5:38PM EST
Never had an issue checking one through before.

If it's that big of a worry, pick up a disposable butane torch where you go.
21. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 5:49PM EST
Whistlebritches wrote:
I always pack 3-4 empty Ronson Jetlites in my luggage and a can of butane(I use Power not that cheap schit that ruins lighters) in my shave kit.Looks perfectly normal since I do not use canned shave cream.I cannot remember how many trips in the 15 years I have done this.You'll never find me anywhere without a torch.I wish I had half of the ones back I've left on some bar in Vegas.

The problem with a can of butane is if I can get that past TSA (which will not allow it) there is going to be a second screening by NCL. Shockingly enough, the private sector is better at screening these things that our public sector TSA.

Norwegian's prohibited items list is close to TSA but more restrictive in some cases:

Quote:

1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
10. Open razors
11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
12. Spears or spear guns
13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
20. Large batteries
21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothing irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s
24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
27. Samsung Note 7
28. Candles

To this day I find myself saying "What the hell samsung?" They are a Japanese company and Japanese culture has an obsession with perfection yet somehow the Note 7 got through all quality control.
22. Author: WhistlebritchesDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 5:54PM EST
Tittums wrote:
The problem with a can of butane is if I can get that past TSA (which will not allow it) there is going to be a second screening by NCL. Shockingly enough, the private sector is better at screening these things that our public sector TSA.

Norwegian's prohibited items list is close to TSA but more restrictive in some cases:

To this day I find myself saying "What the hell samsung?" They are a Japanese company and Japanese culture has an obsession with perfection yet somehow the Note 7 got through all quality control.

In checked luggage this should not be a problem either way.I have looked up the closest smoke shop to my arrival point and purchased a can of butane...…..but then I brought it back so there is that.
23. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sat, 12/21/2019, 6:47PM EST
^ this
24. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 6:55PM EST
Had TSA steal a 40 dollar torch once... they took it out of my luggage and said it would be in lost and found.. i was at the same airport a week later and asked for my lighter back but it wasn't in da box... one lady there looked guilty as hell and didn't say a word... she had it I'm sure... Mellow
25. Author: frankj1Date: Sat, 12/21/2019, 7:08PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
Had TSA steal a 40 dollar torch once... they took it out of my luggage and said it would be in lost and found.. i was at the same airport a week later and asked for my lighter back but it wasn't in da box... one lady there looked guilty as hell and didn't say a word... she had it I'm sure... Mellow

why didn't you call me?
26. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 7:49PM EST
I knew I wouldn't get it back.. but i gave her look.. she knew i knew... Mellow
27. Author: ZRX1200Date: Sat, 12/21/2019, 7:53PM EST
Did you tel her to show you her tits?
28. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 7:54PM EST
DrafterX wrote:

I had an 8-hour layover last year (like I do next February... again). I walked all the way from the D section of MIA to the H section and had to go through security again. Believe it or not there are cute TSA agents (I never knew that until last year). Long story short I was like "I have no business being here but there is a McDonalds behind this checkpoint and the only attack I am interested in is a Big Mac attacking my stomach, can I get through". She smiled and replied with "I understand, but bring me back some fries". I never brought her the fries but after that some bigger not so cute woman pulled her from the post. I think I got her in trouble.

This was before I was rocking the dude beard, so I am wondering what I can get away with this time around.
29. Author: USNGunnerDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 8:16PM EST
There is always the zippo butate conversion as well. These things rock. Put it in the checked bag and unless it's a sharp cookie they're not going to catch the difference.
30. Author: TittumsDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 8:18PM EST
USNGunner wrote:
There is always the zippo butate conversion as well. These things rock. Put it in the checked bag and unless it's a sharp cookie they're not going to catch the difference.

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, it is a good way to get more life out of a zippo shell, but once you castrate a zippo it is just kind of a shell of its former self...
31. Author: USNGunnerDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 9:23PM EST
Tittums wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, it is a good way to get more life out of a zippo shell, but once you castrate a zippo it is just kind of a shell of its former self...

Oh no. It's like putting turboprop's on a DC-3. That dual jet conversion is every bit, and maybe even better than the Xikar Allume double jet.
32. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 9:47PM EST
Had a friend have to give up a sentimental war zippo because he didn't think about just removing the ignition portion... i think it was his father's but i don't remember...you'd think TSA woulda told him that's all they needed... Mellow
33. Author: USNGunnerDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 10:00PM EST
DrafterX wrote:
Had a friend have to give up a sentimental war zippo because he didn't think about just removing the ignition portion... i think it was his father's but i don't remember...you'd think TSA woulda told him that's all they needed... Mellow

They tried taking my Boat Unit lighter in Boston right after 9/11. I flat out told that guy "**** you, it's not happening, I'll go rent a car. and starterd to turn around." That supervisor must have been a vet, he came over took one look at it, and told them to let me and it through. I thanked him and headed out. I got home and put it away. It would have been a long drive home but I would have done it.

Just got it back out when Steve02 hooked me up with the Zippo inserts. I love them.

Most TSA are not the sharpest beans, and I think more than a few of them are "collectors". I've lost more stuff from my suitcases, and every time there's been an inspection insert.
34. Author: DrafterXDate: Sat, 12/21/2019, 10:08PM EST
Ya, I'm sure there are collectors... can't say there're all bad but there are thieves among them... Mellow
35. Author: izonfireDate: Sun, 12/22/2019, 1:49AM EST
DrafterX wrote:
I knew I wouldn't get it back.. but i gave her look.. she knew i knew... Mellow

You shoulda taken her down and kicked her for a while.
They need to learn a lesson...
36. Author: NumismaniacDate: Mon, 12/23/2019, 3:37PM EST
Whatever I can come up with, matches, an ember from a fire, maybe even a stove top burner, hehe
37. Author: delta1Date: Mon, 12/23/2019, 8:50PM EST
matches and cedar strips always work in a pinch, if you can avoid the wind on the boat...
38. Author: TittumsDate: Mon, 12/23/2019, 10:53PM EST
delta1 wrote:
matches and cedar strips always work in a pinch, if you can avoid the wind on the boat...

One of the cigars I had was on the top deck of a cruise ship. Never doing that again. Barely got it lit with a BIC and barely finished it.

We're going to be on the Norwegian Escape so they have a nice room called The Humidor dedicated to "our kind".
39. Author: steve02Date: Tue, 12/24/2019, 5:14PM EST
USNGunner wrote:
Oh no. It's like putting turboprop's on a DC-3. That dual jet conversion is every bit, and maybe even better than the Xikar Allume double jet.

I throw a basic zippo (no sentimental value) with a double torch insert in my luggage (in my toiletries bag) - I fly as much as 24 times a year and have had 1 lighter taken by TSA.

I just got back from Vegas and no issues.
40. Author: izonfireDate: Tue, 12/24/2019, 5:58PM EST
steve02 wrote:
I throw a basic zippo (no sentimental value)I just got back from Vegas and no issues.

Oh, you got issues alright...
41. Author: TittumsDate: Tue, 12/24/2019, 10:17PM EST
steve02 wrote:
I throw a basic zippo (no sentimental value) with a double torch insert in my luggage (in my toiletries bag) - I fly as much as 24 times a year and have had 1 lighter taken by TSA.

I just got back from Vegas and no issues.

...and how do you refill these zippos since lighter fluid is banned?

...and why are you lighting a cigar with a lighter that uses petrol-based fuel?
42. Author: USNGunnerDate: Tue, 12/24/2019, 10:37PM EST
Tittums, read "double torch insert". It's a butane conversion that replaces the issue guts of the zippo.
43. Author: dstiegerDate: Tue, 12/31/2019, 12:35PM EST
Ever since I started traveling with mostly plastic torches, I haven't had one taken. I carry them on all the time.

I get mine from dealextreme -- couple bucks per

Most look like this, which would probably work, also:
https://www.cigarbid.com...le-jet-lighter/3427816/

And even when I was chancing it with metal lighters, I never lost one from checked bags.

I did have one TSA guy make me empty the butane from a Ronson and then let me take it in my carry-on....he was an exception
44. Author: TittumsDate: Tue, 12/31/2019, 12:41PM EST
dstieger wrote:

I did have one TSA guy make me empty the butane from a Ronson and then let me take it in my carry-on....he was an exception

That's an interesting one especially when it doesn't make an exception for empties in the official regulations.
Sign In to Reply
Next TopicJump to TopPrev Topic